JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Blessed Are the Poor in Spirit

a) Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian? B) What kind of mourning is necessary for a person to become a Christian? c) What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians?

a) Their is the common idea that God can be satisfied with our own efforts to be good. This was the prevailing thinking then, just as it is now. The fundamental point of Christianity is that we cannot satisfy God through our own efforts, but only through Jesus who "leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake." (Ps 23:3)

B) There is mourning over the loss of relationship with God. I think most people feel this loss even if they don't know what it is and seek all kinds of remedies through spiritual experiences, charitable works, drugs, hedonism,etc. More important is the realisation and mourning of the sin that has caused the separation and that it was our fault we were separated.

c) "..who sigh and cry over all the abominations that are done..." That is, the evil and injustice in the world. But also, that so many people are in the state we were in before we were saved - disconnected and separate from God and His loving comfort.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is necessary for us to be aware of our spiritual poverty before becoming a Christian because, like David quoted in the Psalms, we are poor and needy. We need to recgonize that without Jesus in our life, we are nothing.

The kind of mourning that is necessary for a person to become a Christian is, being sorrowful over one's sins enough to realize that a Savior is needed.

The type of mourning that is a common experience for Christians is, grieving over the degradation, unrighteousness, and injustices around us.

I personally mourn when I hear of Christians being persecuted, tortured, and even killed for their faith in Christ in areas of the world hostile to the gospel.

I also mourn when I see man destroying the earth God entrusted into his care.

A. Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian?

It takes getting physically sick, before we see our need to see a doctor. In the same way there is a sickness in our soul, that we need to be aware of before we go to the Great Physician. God's diagnosis of man is that he is empty, poor and helpless and that he needs mercy outside of himself. He needs to see that no one on his own level, or his horizontal environment can help him. Man's help must come from God who is far more superior. Before a person becomes a Christian he must become aware of his spiritual poverty which is the realization that he is completely empty and is unable to fill the void within him. We must be aware of our emptiness before a fullness can take place. To be poor in spirit or having spiritual poverty is being aware of our emptiness. Unlike being poor in material things, we must come to realize our spiritual self is empty. The only way God can communicate with us is in our spirit and once we realize this and allow Him to fill us then we will begin to experience the abundant life. To be poor is to aware of a need. To be poor in spirit is to be aware of our need for Jesus Christ and His mercy. When we become aware of this we become truly humble. Only those who are humble will go to the Lord. To have poverty in spirit and to be aware of it is humility, which looks away from self and depends upon a strength that is stronger and a wisdom that is wiser than what we are. To realize we are poor in spirit and go to Christ then the kingdom of heaven is ours. Isaiah 66:2 the Lord says," To this man will I look even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit and trembleth at my Word." To have humility by realizing we are poor in spirit is the first step into the kingdom of God.

B. What kind of mourning is necessary for a person to become a Christian?

The kind of mourning that is necessary for a person to become a Christian is a deep grieving or sorrow over our sin and the evilness of it. Mourning or having a godly sorrow will cause us to repent, leading to our salvation. When we mourn or grieve over our sin, its then placed next to the light of Christ and then we are able to see His agony on the cross. Zechariah 12:10

"They shall look upon me whom they have pierced and they shall mourn."

C. What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians?

This kind of mourning is for all the sins that are around him. Its a sensitivity to all the sin that is around us. The more we are mourning about the sin going on in the world the closer we are moving into the holiness of God. For the true believer mourning starts at his conversion and will continue throughout his life on earth until we are finally face to face with Christ. The true believer will constantly mourn whelther sin in him or around him. To lose that sorrow and take any type of joy in sin would be to break fellowship. The greater the light in us the greater the darkness around us. The holier we become, the greater our discernment of sin in and around us.

If we are not aware of our spiritual poverty, we won't be looking for Jesus as the answer. If we don't see our need for a solution to our problem of sin, we won't be looking for a Savior.

To become a Christian, it is necessary to mourn over our own personal sin, past, present, and future. We need to see how we fall short of God's standard and understand that God made a way to bridge that gap. We need to mourn over the price Jesus paid to cover our sin and bring us into right relationship with God.

A common mourning experience for Christians is mourning over lost people, especially those in our family or who are close to us. I think we also mourn when we cannot see the logic, reason, or benefit of a situation God allowed into our lives. I have personally mourned over the sin still in my life even though I am a Christian.

Q2. (Matthew 5:3-4) Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian? What kind of mourning is necessary for a person to become a Christian? What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians? (See Isaiah 61:2-3; Ezekiel 9:4.)

We have to be aware for the need of our Savior and the brokeness of ourselves to receive what He has for us. We have to mourn over all our sins everyday and ask the Holy Spirit to guide and teach us. Our mourning should be for the righteousness and the grief and hatred over sins committed. If we are true Christians, we will grieve over sin just as our Lord did.

Q2. (Matthew 5:3-4) Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian? What kind of mourning is necessary for a person to become a Christian? What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians? (See Isaiah 61:2-3; Ezekiel 9:4.)

We have to know of our spirtitual brokeness before we can be in a relationship with Christ.We have to be broken before He can put us back together the way we should be, to be used for His kingdom. We have to mourn and repent over our sins and seek the Holy Spirit's guidance for the closeness of the relationship with Christ. As Christians we mourn for the injustice in the world, our family, and in situtations we don't understand or know how to handle.

When I first read this question I was troubled because it is difficult for me to give over completely. But the word "aware" struck me. I am certainly aware that I have spiritual poverty, but I struggle with thinking that I can do it myself. I am on this journey, and I can only be who I am right now. I so believe, for me, awarenes is the key. I guess we can never really get it all together. If we did feel we have it all together we would be denying our spiritual poverty. So I guess we have to live with it. That allows us to consantly work on the log in our eyes, and not focus on the speck on our neighbors'. I think we need to mourn our separation from God, but the positive side is it gives us insight into what others are going through.

We must know that we need Christ before we can experience Him.

Mourning for the darkness of our world and the evil that resides all around us.

Christians should mourn the chasm (that we sometimes experience) between God and ourselves, the sin we commit, and the darkness of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

If we do not know that we are spiritually impoverished, then we do not know what great things Jesus has in store for us.

If we do not know that we are sinners, then we cannot repent. We need to be aware of what we are doing and thinking, Jesus is the only road to salvation and if we are blind to sin then we will not have the need to rid ourselves of sin, therefore we would not have the need for Jesus. Therefore, Christianity would be a moot point.

We must mourn sin and unrightness and disbelief. We mourn for those who do not know Christ, because they will not have eternal life.

It is common to mourn detestable things because these things will make us unprepared for the year of the Lord's favor and the day of God's vengenance.

In order to become saved, we need first to see that we need salvation. This means that we have to take a long, hard look at our lives and our heart attitude toward God and turn to Him. Being spiritually poor will lift us to spiritual riches once we become a child of God.

To become a Christian, we need to mourn our sins. We need to truly grieve and weep and feel anguish. God sees the seeking heart, He sees the mourning of our sin and He replaces it with His joy.

Christians grieve over the injustices and unrighteousness in the world. We grieve over the lost because we don't want them to go to a lost eternity

Q2:

a. What is it necessary to be aware of our spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian?

so we realize ours is the kingdom of heaven - we have to know that we are beat down and that

the only way to God is Christ. That all we have is Christ and that the way He works in our lives

is spiritually.

b. What kind of mourning is necessary for a person to become a Christian?

to have the Lord exact vengence - to get a garland instead of ashes - so we can be called oaks

of righteousness. To know that we do not have Christ in our lives and that we must "mourn" that

and then come to Him to "revive" us.

c. What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians?

groaning and sighing over abominations being committed - a mark on the forehead of those who

do these things - crying over not having Christ or the Holy Spirit in our lives.

As a Christian we mourn in our emptiness and purposelessness and pain, and are comforted by Jesus' salvation and the presence of his Spirit. We mourn with Jesus, too, and are comforted by his Return and the consummation of his Reign. We mourn when we see degradation and unrighteousness and injustice around us. Sometimes we weep over the delay in justice, as did the martyrs.

When I came to Jesus, I was at the bottom. It was dark, dark, dark! I had no hope, and I knew that it was useless to depend on mortal man (family, friends, etc.) to pull me out of the pit. At that point, I knew my only hope was and is in the Blood of Jesus.

When you're wealthy and have it all, you think you can do anything-you don't need help from anyone. Now, I'm not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. Financially speaking, I live just above poverty. However, I am very wealthy-I have riches untold in Jesus. You can't buy those kind of riches!'

God wants broken, contrite hearts. Why? I believe that it is because a broken, contrite heart will listen and respond! When are you most apt to listen to councel? When you're hurting and need help. You will be sincere. Real.

Then, and only then, can God reach that one and then, after comfort and salvation-teach that one, slowly at first. Milk to meat.

Vulnurability is an emotion that God can use to get our attention-it worked for me! ;)

Sorry- I forgot the rest of the questions!

I know for me, when I see someone hurting I want to hug them, and when I see someone doing something that makes me feel bad or embarrassed, I want to ask them to please stop. Sometimes I do. If we are in line with The Spirit, and we're listening, we'll know if it's wrong, and then we can move as we're led by The Spirit. Sometimes we'll respond and sometimes we'll just walk away. It is so important to be led by The Spirit! He is our counselor, teacher, guide-well, you know. We need Him in every aspect of our lives. I can't do anything without Him, and when I feel like I'm out of sync with Him, I run to Him! I pray for spiritually bancrupt people- been there, done that. Not good! :(

Spiritual poverty and mourning. This mourning that is the sorrow for our shortcomings (our sins against God and against one another) realizing that it is God's goodness that brings us to this place of repentance. It is His love that awakens us to realize that we are sinners and that if we do not repent we will go to hell. Therefore this mourning for our sins is a gift (blessing) from God and his forgiveness just one of His promise with many to follow. Living with spriritual poverty the constant and daily need for Him.

• 3 weeks later...

We can't accept Christ as our Saviour until we are willing to put our egos and pride away and depend on Him for everything. Acknowledging our spiritual poverty enables us to focus on Him and not on "me". Christians will mourn over their personal spiritual condition, as well as that of others - whether Christian or not. I believe that God wants us to angry over the things that make Him angry. We can all grieve over discrimination, lack of tolerance, inhumane treatment of women and children, war, poverty - a long, long list of wrongs that are rampant all over this planet today. We should grieve over those who are lost to Christ - those who will never know Him and those who will spend eternity in the pit.

It is necessary to be aware of my spiritual poverty before I can become a Christian because it makes me need Jesus and then come to him, who is the only source of healing of my spiritual poverty

The mourning that he/she is a sinner and not able to be a person that holy and pure before him and therefore needs God

• 4 weeks later...

ESSAYS TO MAKE THE SPIRITUALL POOR A LITTLE RICHER!

1. Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian? I must respectfully disagree with the premise of the question, for all Christians are aware of their spiritual poverty. The awareness of a Christian's spiritual poverty is merely the reflection of the Christian's hunger for and dependence on more of Christ. This is so because anyone born of the Spirit is spiritual and therefore, "born anew," and belongs to Christ's kingdom and has eternal life. It matters not that they only have a little spirit, for a new spirit is by definition little and if it's life is eternal, it will never be more little than it is today! Jesus explained this fact to Nicodemus in John 3. The fact that we who are born of the Spirit have eternal life necessarily implies eternal growth. Thus, whether you received eternal life today or fifty years ago, you will never be as spiritually poor as you are today and you are happy because the Kingdom of God belongs to you every bit as much as it belongs to those who have more spiritual growth (belief) than you. Thus, all Christians are spiritually poor and all are happy because they know they are the King's and the King is theirs, because they are spiritual! Put more simply, it is true that Christians are spiritually poor, but at least they are spiritual! We have to remember that the gospel is good news in order to accurately read it. We need to be encouraged by this verse because it says that even if you only believe in Jesus a little - the whole Kingdom is open to you! Remember the man who said "I believe, help my unbelief?" He was saying "I only believe a little". In other words, "I am spiritually poor." And how did Jesus respond to the man who only believed a little? Not only did he cast the demon out, but he said the demon was never allowed to come back! (Mark 9:23-25) That means the kingdom belonged to him forever because the demon could never come back! That should make us want to sing His praises today and forevermore!

2. What kind of mourning is necessary for a person to become a Christian? People do not get in Christ by mourning their sins; people mourn their sins because they are in Christ. Mourning, or godly sorrow which leads to true repentance, is a gift granted by the Holy Spirit as part of their new spiritual life (see Acts 11:18) Thus, only those already born of the Spirit are able to truly mourn for the person(s) they sinned against because they no longer have a fear for self, since Christ removed the fear of death from them, and noone is able to boast about their repentance because it is a gift from God. I think people get confused about this fact because John the Baptist and Jesus both said "The kingdom of God is near! Repent and believe the good news" (Mark 1:15) The word "repent" in this verse is actually a different word from the word "repent" used in Acts 11:18, but the difference was lost by English translators. In Mark, repentance meant merely a change in mind about whether or not God would and did send a Messiah as promised to save people from their sins and whether or not Jesus was that Messiah. In Acts, "repent" meant a change in mind concerning the nature of sin, accompanied by deep moral compunction with a view toward restoring (justice) the persons sinned against. Thus, a man need not have perfect sorrow to be given life and in fact is not able to, he need only believe that Jesus died for His sins and was resurrected according to the scriptures. If he does this, then the Spirit of Christ who was raised from death gives the new believer a mourning repentence as a gift, so that he may be free from sin.

3.What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians? The definition of a Christian's mourning can be seen in the preceeding answer to question 2. However, a wonderful description of a Christian's mourning can be seen in 2Cor 7, which includes a list of 7 attributes of godly sorrow (v.11), including: 1) earnestness; 2) eagerness; 3) indignation; 4)alarm; 5) longing; 6)concern; and 7) readiness to see justice done. This type of repentance is wrought by the power of the Holy Spirit of Christ (and not our own strength/works) and saves us from sinning. And remember, Jesus does not require perfect repentance to help you help those you sin against. "I mourn for those I hurt, help my callousness." What will Christ in you do? "Mark my words", He will pay the victim back (Philemon 18-19)

• 3 weeks later...

A true christian is the one who is well aware of his spiritual beckonings and spiritual stand. One should be willing to seek for the spiritual blessings which, indeed, will be done only if the presence of a spiritual poverty is realised..And if we do that God has promised us in more than one occasion to bless us and accept us into His kingdom.

To be a christian the first type of mourning one should exhibit the mourning about the past sinfulness and the mourning in repentence.. It should be a mourning to clense oneself of all the sins and recieve the Savior into ones life...

In common, the christians experience a variety of mourning which maybe about the self or any significant person in life, about the sins of the world and cruelty done against humanity by humanity..

• 4 weeks later...

[font="Comic Sans MS][/font]

So many times I see religious people who are following after traditions and the "form of Godliness". I believe until we are drawn by His Spirit and we respond to His calling, can we ever see the Lord. He is desirous to have a relationship with us, yet by only doing the religious forms of the church, we can never truly have that intimacy with the living God. Church is good, worship, fellowship, and being faithful are all desperately needed, yet we must have that sense of lack and need for the Savior to truly cross over into relationship. There many seeking, however, it does seem that only a few find that rich presence with our Lord. Not through our desire to be good or even to serve in the church. Christ freely gives Himself to us. It is free for the taking, yet it will cost us everything to truly be united with Him. The Beatitudes in the place for us to discover the depths of His love.

For some time now, I have been dis-enchanted with the trappings of 'Religion'.. I have always felt the presence of God, I know that God created all of us and then said:" It is Good'.. So, I believe all of us are born, GOOD... it is only when we begin to be taught and learn from the world, even from the church, that we are the only one with the TRUTH, that we become prideful, exclusive and judgemental.

Jesus came to teach us the WAY..the path.. He listened, he healed, he was a servant, then he told his disciples to do likewise..therefore we should also do likewise!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, if these do not have a Biblical basis, i answered them from my own POV.

A. I believe you have to see how far you are in spiritual poverty you are before you can a Christian. For example, it is often said an alcoholic has to hit bottom.

B. Looking back on my time as a sinner, I definetly believe I wasted a lot of energy. I am saddened how I wasted my life, the excuses I made. Looking back I am mournful for all the lost time.

C. I mourn for the people who have not been saved, for the sins I see on a daily basis that is seen as normal.

• 2 months later...

If you are not aware of your need you won't seek a solution. If you don't know your sick you won't look for a cure. If someone chooses to follow Christ for any other reason than that they are a sinner in need of a savior, that they are seperated from God and only Christ can bridge the gap, in time they will fall away or feel unfilled because they were most likely seeking an experience, and not a relationship based on need. In order to become a true follower of Christ, we must morn over our own short comings ( all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God), if one doesn't believe or care about this short coming they will not be a true follower of Christ,but perhaps religious. Christians should morn over lost souls, we should morn over sin and the effects of sin and death. We should morn for those who live by the law, for the law brings death, but Christ is the fulfilment of the law and brings grace,mercy and forgiveness.

• 4 weeks later...

1. They that are not sick have no need of a physician. Sin must be uprooted and replaced by righteousness of God in our hearts.

2. Fear of our wretchedness caused by our spiritual separation from our Creator and the eternal consequences of this action.

3. The uncare attitude of the people of the world to seek God through Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

We have to recognize that we cannot save ourselves. We are not spiritually self-sufficent. We need the Holy Spirit living is us, his power, and grace. The kind of mourning we have to do to become a Christian is for the weakness in relation to God's standard of righteousness and power. The mourning for a common Christian is to mourn over our sins, the things that grieve God, to feel with sympathy the feekings of God, be afflicted in our spirit because of sin, immorality, and cruelty of the world.