JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Blessed Are the Poor in Spirit

"To be poor in spirit is to realize that I have nothing, am nothing, and can do nothing, and have need of all things." (A.W. Pink).

Even the Awareness of my own distitution is a Work of the SP_RIT within. Nothing in my hands I bring,

simply to Thy Cross I cling....

Proverty of the spirit is the initial awaking of the prodical in the far country.

Mourning over the felt poverty of my spritual state and the sins that separated me from G_D, and

the repetance therafter lead me to the Salvation that The Grace of G_D through CHR_ST afforded.

(Notice the tense of the verb "mourn", it is not just a mourning for the past but rather a continuous

action in the present and in the future.)

Christians mourn for others and the worlds situations.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't believe that you are spiritually poor then how can you make that commitment, when you don't believe that you need it? You make a commitment to the Lord, you repent and receive Jesus because you realise that you are nothing wthout Him. If you haven't realised this then how can you truely understand all that God has for you? - you are still self-righteous and self-assured. We need to be dependant on our Lord and Saviour - not ourselves.

As a person becoming a Christian you need to mourn for that real relationship with the Lord, for the things that you have done to separate yourself from Him. But because our salvation is in Christ we can mourn for that - but then repent and be forgiven for it.

As a Christian we mourn for the things that the Lord mourns, the injustice, immorality, for the lost, etc

Q2. (Matthew 5:3-4) Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian? What kind of mourning is necessary for a person to become a Christian? What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians? (See Isaiah 61:2-3; Ezekiel 9:4.)

Only we feel poverty in our spirit, we will seek God and let God fill us with his truth, so it is necessary to empty us before we become a christian.

We will mourn those who don't know God and who don't believe in God, we will mourn those who do the evil things all days. We should pray for them and expect our God will move their heart and lead them to God.

As a christian, I think it is a common experience that we mourn all that we did before we came to God and what we did when we are weak.

You must recognize that you need Christ and a better way of life that we can not do within ourselves and on our own.We need the Holy Spirit's life, power and grace to inherit God's kingdom. We mourn over things that grieve God and are afflicted in our spirits over sin we have committed or see. we will grieve just as the Lord does....

When we grieve over sin and immorality, it evidence of true saving faith showing that we belong to the Lord.

Q2. (Matthew 5:3-4) Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian? What kind of mourning is necessary for a person to become a Christian? What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians? (See Isaiah 61:2-3; Ezekiel 9:4.)

I have to be aware of my spiritual condition in order to permit God to work with me. When I become aware of my spiritual poverty, there is a sense of urgency within my being to repent and confess my sins to God and give Him my life. Then God can begin to make me a whole and complete person in fellowship and cooperation with Him. As long as I am not aware of my spiritual poverty, then I am not aware of my need for God and spiritual development. Therefore, I'm lost.

A Christian mourns not only for their spiritual condition, but for the lost; injustices in the world; and the spiritual condition of the world and the consequences of that condition. Not only do they mourn over these things, they do something about it. Mourning results in action.

Christians mourn and lament over the detestable things done in the world around them. Mourning is a reflection of a Christian's compassion, empathy, and sensitivity of the spiritual condition and its consequences to people in the world around them. Additionally, it reflects a sensitivity to, and understanding of the Holiness and Righteousness of God. The Christian should reflect the values of the Most High God, Creator of Heaven and earth.

Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian?

to be spiritually poor is see who you really are, "sin" nothing else. we are nothing and we own nothing except for our sins. we come before our Maker, who is the Giver of Life and Life itself to save us from our wretchedness. we surrender to Him and acknowledge him to be our Savior. we die to ourselves and let Jesus reign over our lives.

What kind of mourning is necessary for a person to become a Christian? What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians?

we usually mourn if a loved one leaves or pass away. we also mourn for our sins, for what we have become and the wrong and bad choices we made. also mourn for the injustices around us.

Q2. (Matthew 5:3-4) Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian?

For me this answer is really easy. The same reason I still cry. I was lost and He found me sitting in a

We have to reach a point in our lives that we realize we are spiritualy dead without Jesus, we are spiritualy poverty stricken. We can be rich in worldly things but if we're spiritaul broken we're miserable.

Spiritual mourning is necessary for a person to become a Christian. We have to be sorry for the sins we have commited and want to change.

Christians have a common mourning for unrighteousness and injustice.

Mourning brings us into recognition of something "missing" in our lives. People mourn for many reasons, loss of relationship, financial loss, loss of independence, health issues. In the Kingdom of God, mourning is important first to recognize "our loss" without the comfort and truth of God in our lives. In order to to seek something, it must first be lost. In our lives, we often times realize that something is "missing." Perhaps we cannot put our finger on just what. Those who mourn will be comforted, is what Jesus preached, those who recognized their need "for Him", who would seek "Him and His Kingdom." Those, who needed the assurance, "that the missing thing in their lives, is God and His truth." Without recognizing or mourning, it is impossible to know how close you are to finding something or knowing that something is missing or beyond your reach.

Christians should be saddened by sin, immorality, injustice in the world. We should stand up and speak up for the rights of those innocents who are being maltreated or treated unjustly. Righteousness came from God, who made Jesus, who knew no sin, to become sin for us, that we might become his righteousness.

God comforts those who mourn, who are hurting.

Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian?

If we are not spiritually poor, we are not ready to see the need to become a christian. Sometimes we feel we are doing ok on our own and don't need a savior.

What kind of mourning is necessary for a person to become a Christian?

That they should see that they are sinners and the need to repent and turn to Jesus who came to save them.

What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians?

It should cause us to mourn when we see the ways of the world. That they don't see the sins in their lives and see there need to repent and turn to him. :(

Q2. (Matthew 5:3-4) Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian?

When we become aware of our spiritual poverty (emptiness, purposelessness), the realization that the emptiness can only be filled by the Saviour becomes paramount as the Holy Spirit of God brings conviction. It is in this state that we repent and accept the salvation that Christ offers.

The person must become broken in spirit, mourn in repentance and be comforted only by the Jesus' salvation and the presence of his Spirit.

What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians? (See Isaiah 61:2-3; Ezekiel 9:4.)

For Christians it is a common experience to have the spirit of heaviness over the state of the unsaved, when we witness injustice and abomination in our country. We mourn and God steps in and comforts all that mourn.

we would have no understanding of the cross and why jesus had to die. it would of been as a fireworks show to us,been there saw the grand finalle,so lets go home.never really touching us at all.we are all shallow and wild people, i believe the greek refers to us as wild stallions in need of breaking.and until we yeild to god we will only profess christ in our way, not gods.repentance is not easy. we like the thrill of sin.but we must stay focused on him,as we walk towards him and home.

Spiritual poverty fires you up and makes want to be filled with the Spirirt of God. Siritual poverty means you are hungry and so need to be fed. If you havent got this poverty you will not feel the need for God. Only those who are thirsty demand water.

That mourning that expresses the emptiness of the heart, a mourning that searches for peace of mind and infilling of the heart, a righteousness with Jesus

Most Christians mourn for a better life in terms of outward prosperity, money, status, wealth etc

It is necessary to be aware of our spiritual poverty before one can become a Christian because God's offer of becoming rich is for the poor in spirit. It is only by admission of being lost, corrupt, sinful, morally sick, etc., and unable by his own, that one could see his need to be found, be cleansed, be forgiven, be healed, etc., by the power of the blood of the Lamb which was shed for the remission of sins and by the power of the Holy Spirit to live a Godly life. As the Lord said, they that be whole need not a physician but they who are sick.

To become a Christian, a person must be sorrowful for his own sins, his own ways, a Godly sorrow which leads to repentance, a change of mind seeking and submitting to obey the will of God in order to please Him and not himself anymore.

The common experience of Christians in mourning is the mourning for the sinfulness of the world, its idolatry, rebellion to God, the use of the name of God in vain which is prevalent especially those who claim to be Christians and yet practice idolatry, because unless they repent and turn to God, they shall persih.

We must know that we are empty spiritualy before we can be filled with the Holy spirit.Morning over the emptiness of the Holy spirit.Injustice is the kind of mourning that is common to christians.

This spiritual poverty is what I call the longing of the creature to be united with its creator. Hebrews 10;16 declares " This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds." Personally I believe that this is why our spirits cry. this scripture confirms that we are all born with longing and spiritual poverty. this is kind of a homing device that cause our spirits to mourn and crave to be united with the Father. We all feel this spiritual poverty.Some people fill it will worldly pleasures and **** which will fill it temporary, some of us realize that nothing but the creator will fill this cup permanently.

Mourning over degradation, unrighteousness and injustice.

It is necessary to be aware of you spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian because spiritual stuff, which is holy, is not given to us through worldly people but through God who is Holy. So you have to believe in Him and know that He is Lord over all and in all.

A common morning Christians concern themselves with people who don

When we think we are full and have everything that we want or need, we don't have room for the message of the Kingdom of God. We are so involved with life and its activities, that we never stop to listen to our empty hearts. We feel rich, "have acquired weath and do not need a thing" and do not realize that we are "wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and nakedl" Only when we realize our poverty can we come to Him in search of the Kingdom.

The mourning we experience when we come to Jesus is sorrow and shame for our wretchedness - for having thought we were rich, when in reality we were so poor and blind.

The mourning of disciples of Jesus is a mourning for those around us who mourn, grieve and are in despair. And a mourning because of all the evil, cruelty, injustice and filthiness that mankind is capable of.

Q2. (Matthew 5:3-4) Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian? What kind of mourning is necessary for a person to become a Christian? What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians? (See Isaiah 61:2-3; Ezekiel 9:

to reconize the wrong in your life, that you are nothing and have nothing in your life without the Lord Jesus Christ. Mourn over your wrong doings. When you have sinned against God, you mourn the pain that you have caused God and yourself when realize what you have done. And you know that you need to make it right in the eyes of God.

It is in mourning that we recognize the burdens we have carried through our sins and it is in mourning that we recognize our weaknesses and our need for Christ. We mourn for the values that we did not uphold, those things that kept us from being close to God. Sometimes we mourn because we know that we have wasted part of our life in not turning to Christ earlier.

Before we are to recieve Jesus as our Savior and be christians then we have to mourn over what we have done so we can recieve the comfort from the Lord for all our wrongdoings that we have done.The mourning that is required before we are to become Christians is to realize that we were living an empty and not so meanful life full of purpose and drive,that is only found in the Lord.

Until we realize that we are sinners and cannot do it alone, we will continue to believe that we can save ourselves. We need to trust in God for all our needs, repent of our sins, then we can accept His promise that we will spend eternity with Him.

To be humble enough to recognize our sins and confess them to God.

What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians? (See Isaiah 61:2-3; Ezekiel 9:4.)

Knowing that we have loved ones and friends who are not believers. :rolleyes:

Q 2q Why is it necessary to be aware of your Spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian.

We have to see that we live in sin and with out Christ we are lost forever. If we did not see we

live in spiritual poverty we would not see a need to accept Christ.

2b What kind of mourning is necessary for a person to become a Christian.

We mourn because we see the life we live in sin. We mourn because we realize we are spirituality dead.

2c What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians.

Mourn for others that are still Spirituality dead. Mourn for the sins of the world.