JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Blessed Are the Poor in Spirit

Q2. (Matthew 5:3-4) Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian? What kind of mourning is necessary for a person to become a Christian? What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians? (See Isaiah 61:2-3; Ezekiel 9:4.)

It is because the person who feels that he is sick, is the one who will look for the doctor, and only when one realize that he is poor is when he will realize the need of God.

The kind of mourning is been sorry for the sin and turning to God in repentance.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless we are able to identify that which is lacking, namely the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, we will never fully comprehend the necessity of becoming a Christian. We will search and never come to the full knowledge of the truth.

To become a Christian we must mourn our separation from God. We are dead to Him because of sin and must repent of our wicked ways, be baptized in the water and the fire.

As Christians we must mourn the sinful nature of our world and the pandemic denial of the only true God, Jesus Christ. Apostasy rates are appalling, false prophets and followers sickening.

If I think I'm "okay" or can get to heaven by "works" I don't have a need for Christ's free gift of salvation. When I understand how unrighteous I am I know I need His salvation.

We mourn over our sins and our inability to do anything about them on our own.

We don't do what we should do and do what we should not do.

Q2. (Matthew 5:3-4) Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian? What kind of mourning is necessary for a person to become a Christian? What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians? (See Isaiah 61:2-3; Ezekiel 9:4.)

If you don't know you are poor spiritually, you may be relying solely on yourself. A Christian turns himself over to God and solely relies on Him. It is then, that he realizes that without God, he is not capable of anything on his own. We need to mourn our own incapacity of being righteous, to the point where we glorify and thank God for his unconditional love and offer of salvation that He gives us freely. The Christian's common experience is discovering, believing and mourning that we can do nothing to earn our way into Heaven. We just receive God's freely given mercy and unconditional love.

It is necessary to be aware of our spiritual poverty before we can become a Christian because to become a Christian means to submit to the Lord. We become aware that we are nothing without him and ask for his involvement in our lives. Those who aren't aware don't realize they have any need for the Him.

The kind of mourning that was necessary for me to become a Christian was realizing my total insufficiency to handle my life and desperation for it to be changed. My distresses were definitely a blessing in disguise.

I can only speak from my experience, but I know there came a time I really saw how low I could go. I was completely unaware of it at the time, but I was drowning in a lifestyle that was without conscience and was saturated with drug abuse, drinking and everything else that comes out of that lifestyle. I became increasingly unhappy and destitute and alone. I call it my "crash and burn" experience. I wanted to kill myself and end the misery somehow but for some reason I heard a voice in the actual planning of that, that simply said, " I can help you." I fell down and cried and cried and KNEW I needed whoever that was that spoke to me.

It's been a long journey, one I'm still on! But I know I can't do it myself and I love Jesus so much for rescuing me. He didn't have to see me.... a really bad sinner with addictions and a whole huge amount of baggage.....but He never gives up on me. Ever. I have miles to go. I become aware all the time of my icky stuff.

There is great weeping when you see who you really are but there is joy and comfort to know who is pleading for you and to be assured of your salvation because all of it is nailed to the cross and HE is the way as you are refined and grown in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ! He's with us in it. He's for us. He knows! He lived like us!

I falter so much in believing sometimes.........but the promise is true......and He WILL complete me. I see so much restoration of my soul that was so damaged. I have better friends and better things to do and light at the end of the tunnels and just HOPE! I'm blessed just to know Him more and that's not even including what's to come in eternity!

WOW! Praise God!

1. You must be humble and not think that because you have a relationship with God that you are superior to others. You must be humble to be a true Christian.

2. Mourning is necessary when there is no closeness with God and when you see so much injustice and degradation going on. We often accept sin and being ok. We mourn over people who do not believe in God.

3. Christians mourn over the lost people who continue to go against God's Word and who insist on living by the flesh.

1. You must be humble and not think that because you have a relationship with God that you are superior to others. You must be humble to be a true Christian.

2. Mourning is necessary when there is no closeness with God and when you see so much injustice and degradation going on. We often accept sin and being ok. We mourn over people who do not believe in God.

3. Christians mourn over the lost people who continue to go against God's Word and who insist on living by the flesh.

Q2. (Matthew 5:3-4)

Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian?

I propose for anyone to open their hearts and ask to be filled with God's spirit and love. This is the surest and quickest way to remove spiritual poverty and be filled with riches beyond the most exuberant imagination. Peace, joy and love are just a few of the gifts one receives from a baptism in this Spirit. Wisdom and knowledge bring a contentedness to the soul and is also a free gift; yet, it is more then just understanding, it is truth.

What kind of mourning is necessary for a person to become a Christian?

When people experience at a deep level their neediness, incompleteness and dependency

It is important to be aware of your spiritual poverty in order to surrender your life over to Christ, getting rid of the old man and putting on the new man, surrendering all over to him.

The kind of mourning that we experience once we are awaken to the truth is part of the Chrisitan experience, knowing that we are not and have never been able to do anything without our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We mourn because we are no longer blind but now we see.

A) The more that we are aware of spiritual poverty, the closer we try to get to Christ. The more closer we get the more we seek.

B) When we have reached the very bottom of the pit, then we turn to Jesus. He is waiting for us to turn to him and say, "Help me!"

C) When we mourn we see degradation, unrighteousness, and injustic around us. We cannot afford to interfere, so we accept it. We cannot physical mourn outward, so we mourn inward or to be untrue to the values of our Master. If we don't mourn, then Jesus will turn from us.

If you aren't aware of your spiritual need, you will have no need (or interest) in a Savior, much less a Lord and Savior. When God begins to call you and draw you near to Himself, His lovingkindness "alerts" you to your need for spiritual life...and that Life is in Jesus.

The mourning necessary to become a Christian is repentance. A Godly sorrow will lead you to repentance and a changed heart and transformed mind will be the result.

Too many people are only getting a partial gospel. The whole counsel of God is needed in these last days. People are perishing for lack of knowledge. The "kickoff" of the ministry of Christ was "Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand." It is in repentance and rest that we find salvation...

I don't know what kind of mourning is "common" for Christians, but I know for myself, the mourning I have experienced is deep. I grieve over my sins, but I rejoice in my Savior and Lord Jesus Christ. He did for me what I cannot do for myself. I rejoice in the God of all comfort.

It is necessary to be aware of our poverty because is only responsive to a broken and a contrite heart. The scripture says that "Godly sorrow works repentance." It is a sorrow that truly recognizes our sinfulness before God and our hopelessness without His mercy. Just accepting Christ doesn't seem to me to be truly sorrowful for your sins. My experience has taught me that my whole Christian life has required a certain amount of mourning. Mourning my inconsistencies, my stupidity, my failures, my thoughtless words that have hurt my wonderful wife, and a whole lot of other human frailties that I have. I mourn and pray that God will be merciful and forgive me and help me improve.

A.) We must first realize our lack (spiritual poverty) in order to understand our need of a Saviour, and thus we are able to accept Jesus our Redeemer and only way of being reconciled to our Heavenly Father.

B.) Mouring that leads to repentance, such as is spoken of in 2Cor. 7:10a " For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of:"

C.) The sorrow of a broken heart that is heavy with grief for the spiritually lost. Mourning over wasted potential, gifts and talents due to spiritual blindness. Mouring of a heart that is overwhelmed with grief for falling into temptation. Mourning over the lack of faith for what is loving, lasting, and living, but rather choosing what is passing, temporal, fading.

Q2. (Matthew 5:3-4) Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian? It isn't until our eyes are opened to the true condition of our soul, it is in a state of impoverishment, when we feel its emptiness, that we can see our need to drink of the water, never to thirst again, never again to be in an impoverished state. Longing for the soul to be filled with the "happiness" of salvation.

Mourning "grief" great sorrow, as we see our soul at deaths door.

What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians?

Mourning over "sin" that separates us from fellowship with the Lord, without that fellowship there is no true "happiness" -- I am thankful for God's mercy and grace, but how can ones soul not mourn over the times when the flesh wins? I know I do; For my soul longs for the refreshing, when I am in His presence.

(See Isaiah 61:2-3; Ezekiel 9:4.)

It is necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian because it is the only way that you will appreciate Christ's sacrifice and the gift of salvation. I don't think it's possible for you to accept the gift of salvation without first realizing how far you are from the Father.

The kind of mourning that is necessary for a person to become a Christian is that over sin and separation from God, and the ultimate punishment that comes as a result thereof.

Many Christians today mourn as a result of the sin that they see in the world around them, and also as a result of the trials and tribulations that they endure by merely being children of God. We see in Isaiah that God sees their ashes, mourning and despair but He promises them beauty, joy and praise!

It is necessary for us to experience and be aware of our spiritual poverty before being a Christian because when we are at our worse, God's Mercy is at it's best. 9 But He said to me, My grace (My favor and loving-kindness and mercy) is enough for you [sufficient against any danger and enables you to bear the trouble manfully]; for My strength and power are made perfect (fulfilled and completed) and show themselves most effective in [your] weakness. Therefore, I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities, that the strength and power of Christ (the Messiah) may rest (yes, may pitch a tent over and dwell) upon me! 2 Cor 12:9 (AMP) We must be broken completely before God can build us back up to reach His fullness. Mourning in a sense is necessary in becoming a Christian in that we create an atmosphere ripe for the Holy Spirit, the Great Comforter to come in and begin His work.

Q2. (Matthew 5:3-4) Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian?

Until we acknowledge the need for a Savior we can not be saved. It is part of agreeing with God that we have all sinned

and fallen short of his glory. We are spiritually bankrupt without Christ we may be good by mans standards but we

are still wretched in comparison to God. Jesus sacrifice justifies us in the eyes of God and the indwelling Spirit leads in

ways pleasing to God.

Sorrow that leads to repentance. Repentance equalling not only sorrow that our sin has been discovered but a disgust

for that sin that turns us away from it and a prayer for the grace of God that we may be victorious over that sin.

What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians? (See Isaiah 61:2-3; Ezekiel 9:4.)

Sorrow for the sins of a nation and governments, the "missing the mark" of the people of God, weaknesses of the flesh.

-It is necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian because, it makes you to seek God and nothing will seperate you from him. That hunger gives you the desire and interest of knowing God.

-The necessary kind of mourning for a person to become a Christian is to ask God to cleanse you from sins and make you whole. To mourn for him to save your soul.

-The common experience for mournign is to cry unto the Lord on behalf of others and to seek him.

Q2. Why is it necessary to be aware of your spiritual poverty before you can become a Christian? What kind of mourning is necessary for a person to become a Christian? What kind of mourning is a common experience of Christians?

The entire world was created by God. Many times unbelievers feel an emptiness in themselves, but don

unless we see how empty of true meaning are our lives and how distant we are from God ,and how horribly short we come up to His standard which is perfection unless we understand our pain only Jesus can heal and only He can sattisfy us and only in Him are we complete and secure.unless the spirit of God reveals our true state we are completely unaware of our situation and unable to turn away from our current ways and turn to Christ for restoration and forgiveness .

as christians we should mourn 'sins' effects in the world ;injustice, cruelty, , greed all maner of corruption and every offense against God.

Unless we admit that we are "lost " or "spirtitually poor "we cannot accept the need for a Savoiur !!!!

Mourning from within , crying out to God is required - for all of us