JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faith and Justification

My answer to Q1: Abraham set an example to the principle of justification by faith. In the old testament vicarious Atonement involved sacrifice. Abraham did what god asked him to do when it came to making sacrifice, meaning he followed the principle of justification by faith. In the new testament, Jesus was the vicarious Atonement to all man's sin, and we must follow the same principle in believing that Jesus was the sacrifice that God allowed, as the savior to man's sin-putting our faith into believing in Christ's passion, and what God allowed to happen to his own son. And believing that, as God's sacrifice, under no other principle of faith.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

Because Abraham trusted and believed God with all his heart , he was given favor by God. Not by his works but by his faith!

For us the relationship is the same. We are justified through our faith, We are loved and forgiven by our faith in Jesus Christ we are not longer separated from God by our sin. It is by grace we are forgiven and made righteous. Not by our works.

It means I can live life secure knowing I am loved by God and nothing can ever separate me from the love of God!

• 1 month later...

To be justified is to have no walls between God and I. To have a right and open relationship with him. This comes about not by me doing right- things that please him (because I can't in my own strenght), but by faith which is believing in who Christ is and what he says.

For me there is a simplicity in this that is difficult to fathom-don't we humans love to complicate things! I need to meditate on the fact that my connectedness to God is simply in just believing in Christ and his word. The difficulty in this however will be in renewing my mindsets some of which I don't even know I have!

For Abraham and us, justification is the same- we come and have a relationship with God because we simply believe.

• 5 months later...

I suppose that Abraham's belief in God's promise, apparently to the contrary of impending actions, gave God the opportunity of reckoning that his faith (belief) became a sufficiency for God to grant him 'Justification' here.

For us, here and now, our faith, the firm commitment of trust, a term used used elsewhere, also gives God the opportunity of declaring us absolutely righteous. That is 'Justification' as I see it, giving us a fresh start with God as not our opponent, but as a loving heavenly Father whose plans for eachj and a very one of his children, may then begin in earnest.

• 2 weeks later...

1.) Abraham believed and trusted God, even in the face of what seemed impossible, and his faith was credited to him as righteousness. Against all hope, Abraham believed and became the father of many nations (4:18). Abraham was justified in God's sight because he trusted God and believed that God could/would do what He promised.

2.) We, too, are justified by faith. Jesus came to give Himself as a sacrifice of atonement, and in this we have faith - that His death was sufficient payment for our sins, and that His resurrection from the dead gives us eternal life because He conquered the grave so that we also will live, as He lives. We have faith in God's promises in Jesus, that if we believe in Him, we will be raised to eternal life with Him.

3.) When we believe in Jesus, we are acquitted of the crime of sin. For our sin, we're deserving of punishment and God's wrath. But because Jesus took the punishment for us, and paid the penalty for our crimes on our behalf, we've been made righteous in the eyes of God. We are justified and restored to a right standing with Him. I dare say this justification gives us a clean slate, as if we'd never sinned.

• 2 weeks later...

I think justification means believing in the sacrifice of Jesus and being made righteousness as if we never sinned. What undeserved grace

• 2 months later...

They both go hand-in-hand. You cannot achieve one without the other. They both are accessed by and gives us access to God and are a condition of our faith and they bring peace. You can only be justified through your faith in him. The reward for your faith and faithfulness to Christ is great peace. You can rejoice in this saying, and again I say REJOICE.

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, what does it mean to be justified?

Question by Question:

1. Because Abraham believed God, it was counted as righteousness.

2. Relationship - They are sisters one to another. You cannot be justified if you do not have faith.

3. To be justified means to be established in God through his Son Jesus Christ by his grace given us through the shedding of his blood and the resurrection and ascension into heaven where he sits at he right side of the father ever making intercession on our behalf and in that, we have made peace or reconciled ourselves back unto our father and now we can REJOICE,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great start to this very in depth and detailed lesson. 

I also feel as though the response or answer is short and very obvious for all of us living in His light. 

I feel as though this corulation between faith and justification can be defined as in Hebrews.

In Hebrews we are taught that Faith is the substance of things unseen the evidence of things hoped for.  I believe that through faith we recieve the untangible evidence of justification.  Please know that I mean physically untangible.

Because of our faith, and our seeking and growing faith, justification is then the result, and or evidence of that faith, even a reward.

May God add His belessing to the reading and studying of His word, and give each of us a devine inspiration.  

May God bless you and yours.

Jason

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, what does it mean to be justified?

For Abraham the relationship between Faith and Justification: Faith; He believed in God thus bringing trust. Secondly Justification; verified that as long as he trusted in God, and through God's perseverance and love God credited Abraham righteousness. Faith and Justification; to me they go hand in hand you may not have just one you have to have both together. Faith in Jesus Christ will give you the justification that God grants to you through faith. Trust in the Lord, you’ll have total access to God.

To be justified:  No matter what may have been done, God sets us free from our sins allowing us to have righteousness.

• 2 weeks later...

For Abraham, his faith was believing that God could do the impossible by making him the father of many nations.  For us, it is believing that God can do the impossible by justifying us in His sight.  By forgiving us for our sinfulness and giving us a place in His presense.  It is just as impossible for us to earn heaven as it was for Abraham to have as many children as the sand, or the stars in heaven. 

He gets all the glory for our justification.  He gets all the glory for the offspring of Abraham.  It is impossible for us to get any credit, for without Him we can not be justified.  " Lest any man should boast."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

For Abraham the relationship between faith and justification is that because he believed God he was considered righteous. and through his faith in God he was also considered justified and declared righteous by God. We also have been justified by faith and made righteous in belief in Jesus Christ who died was buried and rose from the dead. He is the first fruit of the living from the dead.

Faith is the reliance, trust and confidence in God. When we believe in Christ by faith we justified, being God the Father has accepted Christ sacrifice of death from to redeem us back to our heavenly Father.

• 6 months later...

For Abraham, his foundation of belief; believing in God along with his faith is what made him righteous and therefore was justified.  For us, having faith in Christ is accepting what He has already done on the cross and knowing that our sins have been paid for once and for all.  

To be justified is to be pardoned.  Christ’s death gave us justification for our sins so that we may be righteous in God’s eyes.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul quotes Genesis 15.6 "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." (Romans 4:3) For Abraham then he was considered righteous because he believed and trusted God's  God's promise of having descendants as many as the stars in the sky.The only worth of Abraham that really mattered to God was his belief in the promise.  When one is justified one is cloaked in righteousness. Abraham's belief lead him to being 'accounted' righteous.  Belief in this situation is faith.

For us the situation is basically the same. Our justification comes through the promise of Lord Jesus Christ, we, like Abraham must believe and it will be accounted to us as righteousness. Jesus cloaks us with the coat of righteousness and than we have access to the Lord Almighty. Christ and God are one so belief and trust  in Christ is belief and trust in God and also the Holy Spirit. 

To be justified is to be made righteous before God in Christ. 

• 4 months later...

Q1 For Abraham the connection between Faith and Justification was Belief in God alone. He believed what God had promised him and was therefore justified.

Q2 For us the connection between Faith and Justification is the blood of Jesus. He has cleansed us and by faith in Him and His shed blood we are justified.

Q3 Justification for me is not only being forgiven but accepted as one made Holy. This occurred when I placed my faith in Christ, repented and began a lifelong walk with Him.

For Abraham, he was justified (declared, became righteous ) because of his faith in God. The same is for us too. For me, it means when God looks at me, He sees me in right standing with Himself. I picture myself in Christ and when the Father looks at me, He sees Christ. It has nothing to do with me (not based on what I do or don't do); all based on Christ.

• 4 months later...

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification?

Abraham believed what God said to him and then acted on this belief in faith (he left his family to move where God told him to move .. he was willing to sacrifice his only son, etc.) Abraham was justified by God as a result of his belief and faith in what God said.  The relationship between faith and justification ..  God's gift to Abraham was His Word.  Abraham's gift to God was faith.  God's gift to Abraham was justification. 

For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?         

For us as well, God's gift to us is His Word (Jesus).  Our gift to God is our faith.  Because of our faith, Jesus has justified us before the Father.  To be justfified is to be absolved and made free of the responsibility of our sin.  It is to be free of present and future blame for the things we do wrong, 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Abraham had an unshakable faith in God, he believed beyond any doubt, that by being at one with God he would continue to receive His grace in everything he did and that his faith would guarantee him justification.

• We to must never doubt Gods promise of atonement, and we should have no doubt that by having faith in the "living Christ", who died that our sins be forgiven, (Justified).
  • It is through our faith that we will continue to have access to God's grace as well as His promise of "eternal life"  we will also be spared of His wrath.

• 2 months later...

A. For me, this is a really big for what he had been asked: He was asked to leave his home and friends; the people he was kin too; and how he made his living. It doesn't stop there. He was asked to go to a place where he did not even know (Heb. 11:80).

Abraham could have done a lot of things he didn't: He could have made a big fuss of what he was asked to do—he didn't; He could have found all sorts of reasons he was the wrong man for the job—he didn't. He could have slid his feet all the way—he didn't. Probably there are many other factors he could have found that he was the wrong man for the job, but he didn't. He just believed God!

Barclay reads: “ . . . It was his complete trust in God and his complete willingness to abandon his life to him. That for Paul was faith, and it was Abraham's faith which made God regard him as a good man.”

B. From the NIV Study Bible, I found several things: I have a new relationship with God; now I am a friend, not an enemy; I now have access to God through Jesus; I confide in the fact that what God has created me for will be carried out.

Rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

C. Christ takes what I have and gives me what He has: my sin/guilt for His righteousness by faith in His blood.

• 4 months later...

Obedience.

Faith without the corresponding action [work] of obedience is dead, and can not justify.

Faith which comes by hearing God's word [voice; rhema] must find it's life in the act of obedience, which by any definition is being a doer of the word we hear.

Justified means; Made righteous; declared to be righteous. as well as shown to be righteous.

Believe carries the idea of committed trust, as well as obedience.

Unbelief is disobedience. 

Abraham showed that he believed by obeying what he heard God tell him to do.

What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh?[a] For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. For what does the Scripture say?“Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”[b] Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt. Romans 4:1-4

Some think this somehow means Abraham did nothing.

Abraham was first justified, when he obeyed the Lord to get out of his father's house, to a country that God would later show him.

By faith Abraham obeyed.

By faith Abraham believed, and showed that he believed by obeying what he heard.

Likewise, with the Gospel, we believe the Gospel, by obeying the Gospel.

Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand.

If we don't obey with the corresponding act of repenting, then our faith that we received when we heard the Gospel is dead, and can not save.

It is by confessing with our mouth, Jesus as Lord, that faith finds it's expression in obedience and is able to save.

In other words, we can believe that Jesus died for our sins, and God raised Him from the dead, but if we don't turn from Satan as our lord [master; the one we obey] by confessing Jesus as Lord, then our believing all by itself, without the act of obedience is dead.

That's why Paul said it is both believing together with the act of obedience, that saves.

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Romans 10:9-10

justpassinthrough

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

When Abraham brought Isaac to the altar, willing to sacrifice his beloved son, he demonstrated to God by his action that he fully trusted God and was willing to be obedient to him when it went against his own heart. God knew that Abraham believed in him fully by this action. He was counted as righteous, because of his faith.