JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faith and Justification

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

In Romans 4:3, for Abraham, because he believed, trusted and had faith in God, God counted him as righteous. For us, because of our faith, Christ has justified us. We have been made right in God's sight by faith and we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. To me being justified always meant an attemptto defend ones actions or rights, to excuse ones actions. It is always self pronounced to clear up erroneous intentions or to remedy a mistake. Today, by just studying through these first 2 verses in chapter 5, I now know that justification is a gift from God. A gift that has freed me from my past and has placed me in right standing with God. Hallelujah!!!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can a holy God justify wicked man??

The nature of God verses the fallenness of man.

There is a dilemma if God is just he cannot forgive you a sinful person.

How can God be just and at the same time be the justifier if wicked men?

Proverbs 17:15 He who justifies the wicked is an abomination to God.

We know God is just and we know we are wicked.

But God sent His son to earth to be a perfect man. He went to the cross, bore mans sin and bearing our guilt He became a curse. Christ redeemed us from the curse by becoming a curse in our place.

Christ prayed,

Reading over these passages, I understand that it is faith in all God's Word that justify (put us in right standing with God) us. Because of his faith, Abraham was called a friend of God. (Wow! Can you imagine - yea, I'm friends with the Creator of the universe; he considers me a good friend) To think we have a similar opportunity through the King of Kings! I can identify with Paul over the 'wretched flesh,' that is so quick to lose faith in the promises that are assured to us. To walk in faith like Abraham ('without faith, it is impossible to please God...'Heb. 11:6) is a goal worth striving for.

Your sisiter in Christ.

Lori

• 3 weeks later...

Big Concept 1. God has embraced us with his love and favor far beyond any measure. And he did it while we were still his enemies. So now that we are saved, we are assured that he won't give up on us in the future. We truly are at peace with God! We can relax in this kind of love and just enjoy him.

what does that mean to me....It is hard to imagine loving someone enough to die for when they are showing nothing but contempt or hatred or just plain ignore you...but that is exactly what God did for me...He died for me and not only that He is not going to give up on me no matter how badly I act. My own earthly father may not have seemed to care about me but my heavenly Father loves me no matter what...that is an awesome thought...and yes I can sit back and always hold onto that

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, what does it mean to be justified?

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=792

Rom 4:1 What, then, are we to say about Abraham, our ancestor according to the flesh?

Rom 4:2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he would have had something to boast about-though not before God.

Rom 4:3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."

Rom 4:4 Now to someone who works, wages are not considered a gift but an obligation.

Rom 4:5 However, to someone who does not work, but simply believes in the one who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness.

In Romans 4:3 it explains that Abraham was considered righteous because of his belief in God. It wasn't anything he did or did not but the fact that he believed, and because of this Abraham was pardoned or declared not guilty...

Rom 5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Rom 5:2 Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we boast in our hope of sharing God's glory.

To me I know there is nothing I can do to "save" myself. I know that I can never on my own be good enough to stand before God. I also know that I believe. I have faith and God Himself tells me that...that faith is what pardons me...it is the only link between me and my Lord. Without that I would be completely and forever lost. Praise the Lord I have a loving Heavenly Father

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

For Abraham, God didn't justify abraham for his works, but for his faith in God.

There is no justification without faith in God because without faith in Jesus, there is no spiritual justification. To me, to be justified is to be cleansed of any wrong you have committed.

For Abraham, God didn't justify abraham for his works, but for his faith in God.

There is no justification without faith in God because without faith in Jesus, there is no spiritual justification. To me, to be justified is to be cleansed of any wrong you have committed.

I think for Abraham his relationship with faith and with justification was he always trusted God when ever he was told to do something.For us I think that having a relationship with faith and justifacation is that we should have both faith and justification to trust Jesus.

1. Abraham was justified because of his faith.

2.Jesus justifies us because we do have faith.

3. to be justified, God is forgiving our sins.

• 1 month later...

Abraham's Faith WAS his justification to God.

We are Justified by our Faith.

To be Justified is to be accepted by God. He makes us clean and welcomes us in His precense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

God credited righteousness to Abraham because Abraham believed God. He was justified and declared acquitted because he trusted that what God told him and promised him was as good as done. Abraham was declared "not guilty" by God because of his full confidence in God.

The relationship between faith and justification is that the latter comes only by the former. To be declared righteous by God or "not guilty" and be set free takes place only when one has believed or put total faith/reliance on God's Word and His promises.

To be justified it means to be made right with God. We were enemies of God because of our sin, rebellion,defiance. It took the death of Christ on the cross for me to be declared justified and this only thru faith by grace. I have been declared and made righteous by God on the basis of the meritorious work of Christ. God has declared me righteous thru faith in Christ!

1. Faith is the key to salvation. Today our faith in Christ is what brings salvation, but it was different in Abraham's day because Jesus had not yet provided salvation for all mankind. The relationship between faith and justification for Abraham was believing. Romans 4:3 says that Abraham believed God and it was counted to him as righteousness. What did Abraham believe. Abraham believed God. You will have to read the story about the covenant that God made with Abraham. God promised Abraham a child and Abraham believed God and trusted God. But the difference between our justification and Abraham's justification is that he had to wait 17 years for the manifestation of God's promise. Abraham was fully persuaded and he held on to that promise. Abraham could have stopped believing God during that 17 years waiting for God to do as he promised.

2. For us today according to Romans 5:1-2 our justification is granted to us through faith in Jesus Christ. We don't have to wait for our justification. Justification in Abraham's time was earned. Justification for us is not earned, it's a gift. All we have to do is believe and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord and that he died for our sins and we will be saved, justified, made righteous. through this faith we gain access into the grace of God. Through our confession of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, we are instantaneously justified. There is nothing we had to do to earn it. Abraham had to earn it.

3. In my own words, what does it mean to be justified? I have studied justification before, so in my own words justification means to be declared righteous. It means that the penalty of sin and judgment over my life because of sin has been dismissed and that God is no longer holding any sin against me. Becuse of what Jesus did for me on the cross I can confidently say that I am justified. One person told me that Justified means that God looks at you as though you have never sinned.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification?

What does Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and that faith was regarded by God to be his approval of Abraham."

[/size]

For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification?

Jesus tells us that if we believe in Him as the Son of God who came to forgive our sins, we will be made right with Him

In Roman 4:3 the relationship between faith and justification is that God takes you in consideration and He considers you as a righteous person. A person that He loves. The relationship between faith and justification is that if we have faith through Jesus Christ, we will have access to the grace fo God and we will tak part of His glory. Thus FAITH is the key through Jesus Christ is the key that God declares as righteuos.

• 3 weeks later...

Abraham's faith brought justification for his righteousness before Yahweh. Our faith in Jesus Christ brings us peace. A peace that gives hope. Our faith in Jesus gives us access and the privilege to approach the throne of God with praise, thanksgiving and prayer.

Justification means to me that Christ Jesus has paid for my sins so that I may be pure enough to enter the very presence of God Himself.

I believe the relationship between faith and justification for Abraham is joy inthe fact that he did not have to sacrifice his son. And for us it is peace in knowing we can never be tried again because Christ died for our sins.Justification to me means becoming right with with God.

Abraham was counted right with God because He believed in Him. We are counted right with God because we believe Jesus died for our sins.

My belief in the death of Jesus as a sacrifice for my sins causes me to be counted right - justified- with God.

To be justified means that God looks at me through the Blood of Jesus and sees me as righteous, pure and holy.

Faith and justification go hand in hand for us. Without faith we are not justified. It is because of our faith in Jesus Christ that we are justified righteous in God's eyes. Our righteousness is a gift to us along with perserverance, character and hope.

• 2 weeks later...

Faith is the key to salvation, to receive salvation you have to be justifed. Faith goes with justification, to have faith you believe in Christ, and Jesus died for our sins which gives us justification. Without faith you will not receive justification. To be justified is to be cleared of all sin.

In Romans 4: 16 Paul reiterates that “Therefore, the promise comes by faith". This is the key – Faith. The word is repeated in Chapters 4 and 5 many times. Abraham could not “justify” his good standing with God by his good works; it was credited to him by his strong Faith. In the context of Chapter 5 Dr Wilson has defined Justification to mean vindication, as if being released from guilt, pardoned. This release is only gained through Faith in Jesus Christ. My definition of justification, in my understanding, means that I stand innocent, no longer accused. I should stand secure in this knowledge.

I think that abraham was justified by his faith. For us the relationship between faith and justification is that when we trust and beleive all that God has for us then we stand justified beforeGod.

My thoughts about justification are that i means I stand innocent and no longer condemned for my sinful ways. It means becoming right with God

Abraham's faith in God was the factor in his justification, God recorded in His word that He credited it his faith to him.

Is it not a wonderful thing to know that we have such a loving and Holy God, who let His only Son died for our awful sins, and by our faith in Him ,Jesus we are now justified, set free, no longer held to account.

Paul tells us that we are now at peace with God, standing in a place of justification

I thank my heavenly Father that He no longer sees my sin, but my faith in the finished work of Calvary and the precious blood of Jesus I am set free...justified by faith.