JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Disempowering the Old Nature, the Flesh

Q4. (Romans 6:6-7) In what way has our "body of sin," our "flesh," our old nature been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ? In what way have we been freed from slavery? What difference does this understanding make in our struggles against temptation?

1. Because we have been crucified with Christ -- shared his crucifixion on the cross since we are united with him -- our flesh or sinful nature has been struck a mortal blow. Though it still exists, it has lost power. It has been weakened by our identification with Christ's crucifixion so that we are no longer compelled to be dominated by it.

2. Before we were united with Jesus in his death, we were slaves to sin -- that is, we ended up obeying our whims and passions. We could not escape. We had no choice but to sin. We had no power to do otherwise. In spite of our best efforts we would fail.

Now, Paul says, we have been set free from sin, like slaves who have been emancipated. How have we been freed from sin's bondage? By being united with Christ and thus being part of his death on the cross. Christ's literal death to sin is ours, too. Christ's death on the cross broke the power, the bondage of sin. Since we are united with his death through baptism, we are part of that death and of that victory!

3. We were once slaves of our flesh, our sinful nature. But, according to God's word, we don't have to be slaves any longer!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Romans 6:6-7) In what way has our "body of sin," our "flesh," our old nature been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ? In what way have we been freed from slavery? What difference does this understanding make in our struggles against temptation?

are old self was crusifice dwith christ on that old rugged cross. "For

Our death with Christ on the cross rendering sin powerless We died to sin.

Death took sins power away so that we no longer have to give in to it, We have the power to defeat sin turn from it.

We can follow God's truth we now have the ability to turn from sin to live a righteous live with Jesus.

(Romans 6:6-7) In what way has our "body of sin," our "flesh," our old nature been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ?

Answer: By the crucifixion with Christ, our "body of sin" has been made powerless because anyone who has been freed from sin is no longer slaves to it. Hence it has no more power within us. We are no longer controlled by our sinful nature but by Christ who is alive in me.

In what way have we been freed from slavery?

Answer: Having been united with Christ death on the cross, I died to sin and I am no longer slave to it. A dead person is no longer slave.

What difference does this understanding make in our struggles against temptation?

Answer: Now being slave to the righteousness of Christ, temptation has already lost its power over me.

Q4. (Romans 6:6-7) In what way has our "body of sin," our "flesh," our old nature been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ? Well, since when we are living along in a sinful life and we do not recognize that we are in effect dead men walking to a certain death in eternity, it is a body that is walking. Once we have been crucified with Christ, our body no longer follows it

In what way has our "body of sin," our "flesh," our old nature been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ?

On the one hand, Christ is saying, with His death, I take away the sins of the world. But He is also saying, Repent, and sin no more.

Through Christ's death, we gain inexplicably understanding of both Christ, His sacrifice, and ourselves and our own sinful natures.

What difference does this understanding make in our struggles against temptation?

Our renunciation of sin rests on our faith in Christ and the meaning of His death and His resurrection, and his gift of the Holy Spirit, the "other comforter" described by Christ in John 14. The faith and gift enable us to better resist sin when we are tempted.

The body of sin is gone. We are dead to sin. And alive to love. With Christ we have a new life in which we operate from the heart with peace of mind.

The key to continuing the transformation is to find a daily practice of remembering the love that is Christ.

In baptism I am joined to Christ and my old self is crucified. I am a new creation in Christ.

Therefore my old, spiritually dead, alive to sin self is GONE. IT IS NO MORE.

But I still have free will and can choose to sin. Choose to ignore Christ's sacrifice.

Or I can choose to live in the POWER of the RESURRECTED CHRIST.

Our old nature has been made powerless because Christ took it to the cross with Him. We no longer have to let the body of sin control our sinful desires. The slavery to sin was broken. We do not have to let the old mode of existence to dominate our life and body. We have been set free from slavery by the salvation and grace through Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit that dwells in us. When we face temptation to sin, we have the power to act according to God's will. When we are free from sin, we can test and prove if we hasve eternal life with sanctifying grace living in us. The difference is we will turn away from sin and if we do sin, we can ask forgiveness and learn from our mistake. When we are tempted,we have the power to overcome by the Holy Spirit. We can call the devil for what he is, a liar. Our sins were forgiven and taken at the cross.We have Christ sanctifying powerof his life to help us to live a free, holy, and blameles life before Him.

As Pastor Ralph's notes said; "How have we been freed from sin's bondage? By being united with Christ and thus being part of his death on the cross. Christ's literal death to sin is ours, too. Christ's death on the cross broke the power, the bondage of sin. Since we are united with his death through baptism, we are part of that death and of that victory!"

We can only get through our struggles with temptation in Christs strength.

• 2 weeks later...

Our old selves has died with Christ on the cross through baptism. What is dead is dead and gone, so we are free and not a slave to sin anymore. Knowing this we must turn from our wicked ways and follow Jesus. It gives confidence that we are not alone, we know that the Holy Spirit is here with us and will help us.

Christ died for my sin and I gladly gave it to Him in baptism. He gave me His life in place of my sin so that I would no longer be drawn to a sinful life, but would be drawn to goodness.

I could not do this alone, the struggle would be too great, but by faith in Jesus, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.

Just think! I no longer have to be obedient to sin. I can rejoice and obey my Lord Jesus Christ. Hallelujah!

Love Greta

• 2 weeks later...

We become new creatures in Christ upon accepting Jesus as the Messiah. We are new people with a new perspective on life and reality. We are no longer enslaved to sin, i.e. we can overcome temptation through the power of the Holy Spirit and/or ask forgiveness to God for the sin we commit, per I Jn 1:9.

The difference this understanding makes in my struggles with temptation is that no matter what, I can take it to God for forgiveness and/or thanksgiving for the victory. Either way, sin does not enslave me. It doesn't cripple me.

• 3 weeks later...

I think we have been given a new vision of what life is all about. That new vision floods out, deletes, the old ideas and replaces then with entirely new ones which gradually supercede the power of the old ones. We have now the mind of Christ operative within us, which translates into a whole new set of behaviours which grow in strength as we practice them. The old life horrifies us, and we long to distance ourselves from it and embrace all that God has put in place for us.

In this way we have been freed from the slavery of the old systems, passions, programs, which have been superceded by Grace.

Temptation begins more and more to horrify us and make us turn to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. It becomes the means of quickening our minds to the purity of Jesus, and increasing our desire for Him, and for His holiness. Jesus can make even temptation have the effect of cleansing the system and purifying it.

• 1 month later...

Iknow that God can set you free from sin. When I first became a Christian I wanted to work with the children. But I smoked. Knowing that was a bad examle to set for children I asked God to set me free from the sin. And He did. All i did was put the cigarettes on the table and promise to give them up for a day. When I walked away I forgot all about smoking and two days later I thought about the prayer and realized I wasn't smoking anymore. It was a miracle. I had smoked since I was 12 and now I was 39. I never went back to smoking again. God is good and He is great. Hallelujah. Now when I give my testimony to that in jail I tell the girls if he can do it with cigarettes He can do it with drugs. It was an addiction I smoked 2 packs a day. I'm free and have been since 1991. Thank you Jesus. I do work with children also I am a Sunday School teacher and have been for years.

• 2 weeks later...

This passage is the good news that, through Jesus, we are free to stop sinning. I don't mean that we won't sin anymore but that now, we recognize our desire to be like the Wonderful Jesus. We recognize our own personal sin that sent Jesus to the cross and Oh, the agony! We do not want His death to be in vain! We now go on, asking Him to help us to be like Him, to forgive us and give us His power to be who we were intended to be from the beginning.

Because of our crucifixion with Christ our body of sin has been made powerless because our desire is now to please and serve God. Our desire is no longer intent on pleasing the flesh and the these of the flesh that led to death but to please God and the things of the spirit that lead to life. We have atonement for our sins through Jesus' death and resurrection. My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world. 1 John 2:1-2 (NIV)

Praise the LORD!!!

• 1 month later...

Rom 6:6 We know that the persons we used to be were nailed to the cross with Jesus. This was done, so that our sinful bodies would no longer be the slaves of sin.

Rom 6:7 We know that sin doesn't have power over dead people.

When we accepted and believed Christ we were united with Him. We now have the power of Christ in our lives. We will continue to be tempted but we have the power to say no to sin...it is dead and no longer is the ruler of our lives. Sin is no longer our master, Christ is and in Him we share life rather than walk in slavery. Christ lets us make our own decisions and we can depend on Him to help us in every area of our lives. When I look at my life now...I see that satan, sin and death have no hold on me. I can look at the life of my saviour and recieve guidance and strength. I no longer have to do this on my own. I have the power of Christ. What an awesome concept. But I have to remind myself constantly that it is not me or not my power or my wisdom that is to guide my life. It is only through Christ that I can live a life pleasing to God and I depend on Him for everything. It is when I take my eyes off the Lord that temptation and satan and sin will fall back on me ...

Our crucifixion with Christ makes our "body of sin" or "our flesh" powerless because now we aren't alone in this and christ helps us wvercome. We have been freed from sin when christ died to it.

Now we are aware and now we know to depend on christ

• 2 months later...

"That the body of sin might be done away with..." I was "baptized" into Christ's death and burial. His own death and His own burial and I believe that this took place at the moment that I first believed when there was no water for me to be inmersed in. This union with Christ happened to me by God's doing and it took place in order for me to have my old self being crucified/mortified/or given a mortal blow by the death of my Savior. God put me there with His own Son and while He received the actual physical penalty I received the spiritual gain of my "flesh" being "freed from the dominion of sin" . Before God put me into Christ, in other words, grafted me, fused me in with Him and made us one, I was a slave to sin. I could not say no. And for many years before I understood these truths satan was still having victory in my life! I realize now that when Christ redeemed me and set me free this is what took place and the umbilical cord to sin has been cut off that I no longer has to respond to its calling and wanting to feed me with its putrid lies. Temptation nnow has taken a different place inmy life. Now thru Christ in me I can walk away without sinning and I can be without sinning for wuite a few days. Not because I am all that but because Christ in me and I in Christ can be victorious over sin. As a matter of fact now I understand that everytime I do sin I am grieving the Holy Spirit.

The wages of sin is death BUT the gift of God is eternal life in Christ jesus our Lord!

• 4 weeks later...
:P Q4. (Romans 6:6-7) In what way has our "body of sin," our "flesh," our old nature been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ?

We are united with Christ and thus we died with Him and died to sin; thus our old sinful nature has been made powerless.

We were slaves to sin being powerless and being united with Christ at His death, we were set free from being slaves to sin.

This understanding gives us hope by knowing we can overcome sin because of being united with Christ.

• 1 month later...

When Jesus was crucified, He took all my sins past, present and future on Himself and took the punishment. In baptism I became crucified with Jesus and my old self was crucified and left dead in the water - grave.

Its a bit like being haunted by a phantom, because it once had power, my old sin self thinks it still has power

It doesn't, it is dead. To quote Jesus on the Cross - IT IS FINISHED.

Temptation is a whisper from my past, I might fall and sin occasionally, but I do not listen to or follow it.

I AM NO LONGER A SLAVE TO SIN BUT TO RIGHTEOUSNESS

When Jesus was raised from the dead His work was finished, He surpassed satan and sits at the Fathers right side. When we die to Christ we are giving our bodies back to Him, so that He who is in you is greater than he who walks this world. When we are with Christ we are protected from satan and his ways, ,we are no longer a slave to sin. Sin has no grip or hold on us. When we know this and understand it, "that sin has lost its hold" we walk bolder and stronger with Christ, we strive to be like Jesus,we know that He went thru and conquered what we go thru so I think that makes it a little easier to turn from temptations when they arise. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Before calvary and our salavation we where slaves to sin and where powerless to overcome it, but thankfully when the spotless sinless Lamb of God died in our room and in our stead sin lost its dominion over us.

Whilst sin still exsists its power over us has been removed, we no longer under the burden of sin and death but like John Bunyan relates to us in Pilgrims Progress, my shakles are gone my burden is set free.

Thankyou Lord for saving me.

I will sing of my Redeemer

And His wonderous love for me

On the cruel Cross He suffered

From the curse to set me free