JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Disempowering the Old Nature, the Flesh

As stated above, when Christ was put to death on the cross, we became united with Him because He put to death all of the sins of our flesh, thus rendering our old sinful nature virtually powerless because of His crucifixion of it upon the cross. We have been freed from the slavery of sin in our lives; and have a new Master in our lives whom we are now slaves to our loving and merciful God our Lord and Savior. Now that we have been freed from sin, we will still struggle against temptations that come our way daily but know that we don

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is correct--we no longer HAVE to give in to sin. Our new perspective, of knowing we are dead to sin, should totally change our view of ourselves and our view of temptation. Isn't it interesting how good a child can behave, write, read, or draw when we tell her that she is great at it? When we shift our identity of ourself, we begin to act in concord with it. Yes, we mess up from time to time, but we are no longer defined as sinners or screw-ups. This is vital, as so many people commit to Christ but pretty much act the same way they did before because they don't understand that they are new creations who are now free!

• 2 months later...

Q4. (Romans 6:6-7) In what way has our "body of sin," our "flesh," our old nature been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ? In what way have we been freed from slavery? What difference does this understanding make in our struggles against temptation?

Having chosen to follow Christ, I still sin at times, but am able to resist temptation more easily, and when I do give in to it, I know I can go to God and ask for and receive forgiveness and move on from there. This makes it easier to forgive myself, knowing God forgives me.

Q4. (Romans 6:6-7) In what way has our "body of sin," our "flesh," our old nature been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ? In what way have we been freed from slavery? What difference does this understanding make in our struggles against temptation?

Our joining with Christ in His crucifixion has caused our old self, our natural body of sin to lose its power over us. This results in us no longer being a slave to sin. We are free from our compulsion to sin.

• 1 month later...

Our "body of sin," our "flesh," our old nature has been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ in that the death on the cross stripped the power of sin in us. We have been freed from the slavery of sin because it no longer has the power to hold us. Understanding that Christ death on the cross, our death on the cross, made sin powerless in us should encourage us in our struggles against temptation so that we can stand firm and strong as we overcome the strategies of the enemy.

• 2 weeks later...

Our sinful nature has been made powerless through our death with Jesus Christ on the cross. As Paul stated we are bound to Christ

For me, although it is taking time, I feel that gradually the old self loses power through our crucifixion with Christ in that first, the mind is being renewed; the life will follow the renewal of the mind, and the realizing of sins in one's life (I think I'm still in this stage). I think that sin is gradually losing power by the Spirit's gentle convictions; even when I am doing things I know are not lining up with what pleases God, those gentle reproofs of the Spirit makes me think more about it than once before. This is leading to thinking about living right for God, although I am still struggling with sin in my life. It's not so easy to just sin and not feel bad about it (I think that is sin's slavery being broken). People under sin's slavery have no choice but to sin; those in God have the choice, because God provides them of a way of escape when they are tempted; in God, I just hope to continue to grow and become better at becoming more like Him in time.

• 1 month later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=803

• 4 weeks later...

First, we couldn

Q4. (Romans 6:6-7) In what way has our "body of sin," our "flesh," our old nature been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ?

ANS - Because our sinful nature has been struck a mortal blow. Because he gained victory over death and sin, so we have that same victory. WE are no longer slaves to sin.

In what way have we been freed from slavery?

ANS - We are free from the compulsion to obey sin, to blindly follow the whims of our old nature. Like slaves we have been emancipated from bondage.

What difference does this understanding make in our struggles against temptation?

ANS - We can walk in confidence that we are free from the grip and power of sin, and are free to walk in liberty, and to have victory over sin. Refer to I Corinthians 10:13m,

• 2 weeks later...

In what way has our "body of sin," our "flesh," our old nature been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ?

Our old body of sin has been put to death with Christ Jesus, if we have died with Him in the crucifiction then we are no longer a slave to sin.

Since we have died with Him, we are no longer a slave....for how can someone who dies be a slave ??? We have been set free.

What difference does this understanding make in our struggles against temptation?

We have to know the old nature is not in control over us anymore...we will still have to fight that fight...but we have been set free by a price paid on the cross.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

a)Our sinful nature has been struck a mortal blow, we have become crucified with Christ, & though the inherited temptation to sin is still there, sin is weakened & no longer has it

Answer:Our old nature has been made powerless,through Christ crucifixion,in a sense that we no longer wants to do the things(sin),that we just do before by instinct.We become a sorry sinner.Jesus has nailed our old self including all the decrees,and punishment of the law in the cross

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

- Knowing that our old man was crucified with Christ that the body of sin might be destroyed,

- Therefore, freeing us from slavery to sin.

- A dead person is no longer a slave to sin. I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless, I live, yet not I but Christ lives in me and the life that I now live in the flesh, I live by the faith of the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me. We are no longer to live in the flesh but to walk in the Spirit by the faith of the Son of God.

• 4 weeks later...

Our old nature has been made powerless by being united or in union with Christ through spiritual baptism sharing in Christ's death on the cross when He overcame sin, when He shed His blood for us so that we might have life. This helps us to know that we do not have to keep obeying our temptation to sin. It gives us strength and confidence and joy to know we have the power to resist sin's calling when we have Christ living in us, the new person, the newness of life. Though the inherited temptation to sin is still there, sin is weakened & no longer has it’s power.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Romans 6:6-7) In what way has our "body of sin," our "flesh," our old nature been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ?

It has made our "flesh" ineffective for sin and so has liberated us from slavery to sin.

As we have died in the spiritual with Christ we have also delivered from the power of sin or freed from slavery to sin.

I guess this means that we know we don't have to succumb to whatever temptation we are facing. If we know that we are freed from sin controlling us then at the point of temptation we can choose to do the right thing instead of just going along with whatever we feel like doing.

When somebody dies everything ends. Their old way of life is over. They can't be brought back to life again. I'm talking about real death here and not the temporary cessation of respiration that a skilled doctor in a hospital can remedy.

In a mystical way that God initiates, when we come to faith in Christ we partake in Jesus' death on the cross. The way to experience this is via baptism. When we are immersed in the water, God makes it . . . by His reckoning and Power . . . that we have died with Christ. The baptism symbolizes and in fact makes possible our death with Christ. It is our old self, the body of sin, which dies at the time of our coming to faith in Christ and subsequent baptism.

In the same way that Jesus' resurrection body was significantly different to His earthly, born of woman body, so too do we become different, in God's eyes and gradually to our own eyes, than we were before we became born again. This is the whole "born of the Spirit" experience. The Power of God's Holy Spirit is what makes all this possible and real. We can't make it happen ourselves.

The "born of water" part of that passage in John's gospel is of course believer's baptism. We learned here that the two events happen at roughly the same time.

Therefore, since our old body of sin died with Christ, the sin that controlled that old body completely has been rendered relatively powerless even though we still inhabit our mortal tent of flesh. We're still in the world but no longer "of the world".

We became free when we died with Christ. As Paul and Pastor Ralph wrote: A dead slave isn't a slave. There's nothing for a dead person to do, is there? They're dead! Whatever controlled the slave when he or she was alive can't control them once they die. A dead person can't obey any orders, (apart from "Lie there and don't move".)

I think one of the most worthwhile things to do is to program our thinking along the lines of: I don't have to give in to the tempter any more. I'm a new creature. Satan's power over me ended when I died with Christ.

Hey, this stuff makes more sense the more I study it and accept it! Praise God.

• 4 weeks later...

Our sin is like a slave to us, therefore we are powerless to do anything about it until we are freed by our faith in Christ's crucifixion. He was crucified for our iniquities (sins)and until we come to terms with this fact, we are powerless to do anything about it. When we are baptised we put our sins off onto Christ. That is what His death did for us. Now we must take this another step and we ourselves need to pray and ask Christ to forgive us of our sins. That is the only way to beat our struggles against temptations.

• 2 months later...

I do not like to openly admit that I have repeated sins.I sometimes think I'm a little like Paul "...doing what I'm not supposed to do, and not doing what I should do..." The moment of repenting is painful/difficult, but it is so beautiful to be forgiven by the one who loves us unconditionally. The writting in Psalm 51 seems appropriate here at this moment. As a human I can become "more crucified" but the journey is endless; there is always another layer of the onion for Him to peel away and show me my stubbornness and false values/justifications. Thank you Lord for your Grace and Mercy!!!!!!

• 4 months later...

We no longer want to do what our flesh would have us do. We are now one in the spirit with Christ. It is hard to explain, but now that we have crucified our flesh, we are now involved in the battle of the ages! Our flesh is at enmity with our spirit. We are no longer held in slavery by our sinful flesh, but that doesn't mean that flesh will just lay down and give up! Flesh will rise up and throw us for a loop if we are not rooted and grounded in the Word of God! We have freedom from this slavery, because we have given up the old ways.

• 3 weeks later...

Because of our crucifixion with Christ and our union with him we have his victory over the old nature. This is by faith, and when we do mess up, we can go boldly to the throne of grace for forgiveness and cleansing. As we live more and more in victory over the "flesh" we live more in the freedom that our Lord has won for us. There is no temptation that Christ did not overcome, and as we keep trusting and keep looking to him, we grow stronger in him and experience his victory more and more in our struggles against temptation.

• 3 months later...

(Romans 6:6-7) In what way has our "body of sin," our "flesh," our old nature been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ? In what way have we been freed from slavery? What difference does this understanding make in our struggles against temptation?

When we accepted Christ as our Savior, His death on the cross became our death, thus, we are baptised in Him. We are joined right along with His deaht and ressurection. HE made sin powerless in us when we identified with Him. Because of this, we are no longer slaves to sin. We've been set free through His work. Sin was the slave master, and we were in bondage to it. Jesus freed us!

This fact shows us that we no longer have to listen or adhere to our old nature. It's been crucified with Christ. Through Him, we have the power to to not yield to temptation.