JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Reckoning Ourselves Dead to Sin's Power

Q5. (Romans 6:11) What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11? Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true? What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin?

If we are convinced that he dies to sin then I should be convinced that I also died. And he lives to God then I also should be doing the same. So it is the truth, trully truly I am dead to sin but alive in chirst

How do I consider this all the time. The times that I fail are times of exhaustion or great success. These times when you look for ways to get peace. How then to I turn to him at that second, to die to sin?

I have found this to be a great mystery. That in my head I know that he die for me and my sin but in my heart I look to other things to bring me peace. The irony I find no peace in other things Lord help me to knowly submit to you in these time that sin seem so attractive and honey to my lips but bitter to my taste,

What a great god he is that he has given up it all for us!! Can we truly die to sin!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to assume. Count on that as a promise that it is 100% fulfilled in Christ and it is for me.

We have a certainty that we can overcome sin and have victorious life here on this life. With the help of the Holy Spirit we can achieve holiness. We are not left alone we have a helper in our fight against sin and He will do it for us. Only thing is we need to agree with Him and step out in faith.

(Romans 6:11) What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11?

Answer: By faith we accept that we are dead to sin. It is by faith that Christ will hear our prayer.

Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true?

Answer: As a christian we believe all the testimonies of the apostles because it is the word of God. When we count ourselves dead to sin then we have to act on it so that our faith will work.

What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin?[/b]

Answer: We will be free from guilt of sin. We can start a new life with Christ. It will be a life full of peace and joy.

Q5. (Romans 6:11) What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11? To reason and come to a conclusion. The death of Christ was as a death or sacrifice for sin; a sin-offering. It is in this understanding that no man has ever died for us, for our sin, or ever could. Jesus Christ was with out blemish. A spotted or blemished lamb is an abomination unto God and this Lamb of God, had to be spotless. The design of His death was to destroy sin; to make an atonement for it, and to put it away, once and for all. Once and for all means that there is no need to repeat His death, because it does not need to be repeated. Sin is done and buried. His resurrection shows us the power of the living glory of God. Our new power through the Holy Spirit, promotes God

Q5. (Romans 6:11) What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11? Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true? What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin?

That we believe what Jesus said as truth. That we can rely on him and what he did for us. Through him him sin has no hold on us.

No that we are relying on Gods truth. Counting on something that is true that really happened. Jesus told us he is the truth.

The effect will be that we are no longer slaves to sin.We can turn from it and live a righteous life through Jesus because now he is in us.

It is absolutely reality

It is real because I experience it as real.

To those who say "but isn't this just in your head, isn't it just your imagination?" I reply yes, in a way it is, and that is how God works mostly. We pray to Him mostly in silence, (in a kind of 'Stillness') and it is in this way that we receive.

The changes that have happened to me, the peace of mind, the love in my heart, the energy that I feel in my life, it is all real. Yes, I am dead to sin, the fear is gone and instead I am cultivating a heart-centred way of life with Christ. Thank God

What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11? This word means to have faith that we are indead dead to sin through Christ's death.

Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true? No. Faith is very real.

What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin? We will sin no more or at least are likely to sin less. The Holy Spirit within us will help us not to do so.

To count myself dead to sin means to believe, consider, reckon, KNOW, myself to be DEAD to sin.

Coo can you imagine the effect in my life - perfect hope, perfect faith, perfect trust, perfect belief, total power, to be ONE WITH CHRIST.

TO LIVE AS CHRIST LIVED ON EARTH

We need to think and believe thaty we have died to our sins. We havedied to our sins in God's sight, we are considered by God to have died with Christ on the cros and raised in His resurrection, we have died when we were born again of the Spirit, given Christ power to resist sin by putting to death on a daily basis it's evil desires. We died to sin in water baptism as we proclaimed our death to sin and committed ourselves to reject sin and live for Christ. No, we are not convincing ourselves of something that is not true. It is very true and very real. The effect will be as Christian's, we will see itr in our daily living for Christ. Other people will notice the change in us. The Lord will shine through us to be the light He wants us to be.

" "Count" (NIV), "consider" (NRSV, NASB), "reckon" (KJV) is the verb logizomai, which is primarily a mathematical and accounting term, then used of cognitive processes. The basic meaning is "to determine by mathematical process, reckon, calculate." Paul often uses the term in a transferred sense: as a result of a calculation, "evaluate, estimate, look upon as, consider."

Now we are in Christ and the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit is a work in us we become sensitive to sin. As I have heard "we start to hate the things we used to love to do"

• 2 weeks later...

In verse 11 these words mean to decide for yourself. It's not convincing ourselves of something but deciding if we are going to step out in faith and believe God's promises for us. The effect in our lives when we do this is life altering, we are not the same anymore. We still fail but no one was perfect but Jesus.

"Either we believe Satan's lie that we are compelled to a life of slavery to sins, that we are weak and we can't escape.

Or we believe the truth that Christ has broken the power of sin and the flesh and that we can step out of slavery into

FREEDOM."

It is a two way choise and I choose to believe the truth that Christ has set me free. Hallelujah! Praise God that He has also given us the 'mind of Christ' to help us to think the same way He does, and to remember what He says.

Love from Greta

• 2 weeks later...

It means to calculate that if it is indeed true that Christ died and was buried once-for-all for sin, and if you have been united to him and to his death and burial by baptism, then you must now consider yourselves to be dead to sin in the same way.

We are to believe and act on the truth: that we are dead to sin in the same way that Christ is now dead to sin. When we "reckon" Christ's victory to be the truth, then and only then can we move towards victory over sin in our own lives.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

God has never taken away from us our control over our own lives. If He did we'd be like angels, unable to sin or make choices. He gave man dominion in this world and will not take it away. This means He operates in His own creation only by the invitation of any human being, and otherwise does not interfere in our private lives. This is why our prayer is so vital. Without it we operate in ignorance of God's plan (which He will nevertheless accomplish). Even though I am born again with all the potential that entails, it is still up to me to make the right choices and keep close to God through His Spirit.

Dogs have a great sense of smell which they use to detect food. Bats have sonar. Eagles have eyes. Man has a number of physical senses through which he works. But God has given man sensitivity to His Holy Spirit, which sets him apart from all creation in terms of how he works. A Christian can make this his default mode. This is his by choice, and this is what it means by "reckon, consider, count".

It is perfectly true. "Reckon, consider, count" refers to a man's decisions about how he will operate. If I have enough money I'll "reckon, consider, and count up" what car I can purchase, or what house I can afford, or what investment I might make. A Christian has the wealth of the Spirit to "reckon on", and he sure does when it comes to healing, or life-threatening situations! But we can reckon on God at every moment in our lives, on His wisdom and on (not by might, nor by power but by My) Spirit. How magnificent is that? How wonderful that Jesus, through His crucifixion and resurrection, has won Life in the Spirit for us.

The effect of reckoning on Christ in our lives is incomprehensible to those who do not know Him. Everything looks different through the eyes of the Spirit of the Living God which we have access to. I believe we have the full use of our brain in the Spirit of God (science tells us we only use 5-10% of it in the physical). We have the gifts of the Spirit - tongues, prophecy, faith, hope LOVE, healing, evangelism, spiritual insight, wisdom and inspiration, not to mention an eternal home to "reckon on". This lifts our modus operandi way up above that of carnal human nature. We are not the same. We are bought with a price. Dominion has been returned to the man of God. There is no limit to our potential In Christ, but our direction and vision are completely different from that of natural (carnal) man. Effectively we are a different species!

Revjarden, in the answer before mine, has the key. Life means responsiveness. Our responsiveness is directed to Christ and the Holy Spirit and we are unresponsive (dead), (by consistent choice) to the seductions of sin.

• 1 month later...

It says Likewise. or be like Christ and to reckon or count sin the same way Christ does. Be dead to sin but alive to God.

Q5. (Romans 6:11) What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11?

To reckon, consider and count, means that we believe, by our faith, that we are forgiven of our sins - we are counting on it.

Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true?

No, we are believing by our faith that it is true.

What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin?

It means that we are following Jesus, just the way He wants us to. :rolleyes:

Reckon

To me it means to take hold of a truth and make it part of your life.

"In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus." (6: 11)

• 2 weeks later...

For me, this quote is to assure us that Jesus has broken the chains of sin from us. When we are weak to temptation, we can call on Him for His strength and He will send it. It is the faith to believe He already broke the bond and you no longer have to live with your sinful habits. Praise God!

To reckon, consider, count in verse 11 is to believe that our old sinful nature is dead and no longer responsive. There is no longer a desire nor a willingness to revive the old man. We are dead to sin, it is definately true. In it our lives have been transformed, we are dead to sin and alive in Christ. Sin cannot tell us how to live, we are living in the freedom of God. Our lives will be dramatically changed as His life and His death will have a great affect on our daily christian life.

• 1 month later...

Rom 6:11 Even so see yourselves as dead to sin, but living to God in Christ Jesus.

Rom 6:11 So consider yourselves dead to sin's power but living for God in the power Christ Jesus gives you.

We are to look at this very much as a mathematical formula...1. Christ died giving to us eternal life

+

2. We are united with Christ through faith

=

3. We have eternal life with Christ through Christ

Even though we take this all by faith we have proof through the scriptures and through history that it is true

Because of our belief we can look at temptation and satan and the world in a much different light...the word being light...we dont have to live in darkness and fear. We have the power of Christ within us to defeat all that satan can throw at us...and if in our failings we do fall to temptation we also have the knowledge that when we confess to Jesus our sins and repent they will be forgiven and forgotten...as they never existed. We no longer have to rely on ourselves we have the one who conquered sin and death helping us to deal with everything single thing in our lives. Then as the greatest hope we can have we know there will come a day when we will be living eternal lives with no more sin, hurt, anger, death, disease...with our Glorious Lord

It means that it's the result of something (Christ's Death). No, it's in the Bible and even though we dont have hard evidence other than the Bible, we just have to have faith. Well, it will effect our lives

like it is now. We're believers and we're sold out for christ and we're changing for him.

• 2 months later...

Reckon- to count, figure, or compute; to think of as being; consider or judge. Paul does an excellent job at explaining our spiritual yet very real union with Christ. He unravels the complexity of the concept of us being grafted into Christ. Because God put us into Christ when we believed when Christ died so did I, when He was buried, so did I and when the Father, by his glory, raised Him up from the dead to live a new life so was I as well! Satan and sin's control over my life were terminated on Calvary and now what remains are still calling me to sin and join its deceitful ways BUT I no longer have to obey the old master and listen to it at all. The Redeemer came to set me free from the market of slaves so that I no longer have to live as slave to sin, Because all of this took place, Paul goes on to say that as I realize all of this to "analize it", "to consider" and to "count" myself as being dead indeed to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus my Lord. Praise be to the One who overflows with compassion, kindness, patience to this human being underserving of all.

• 3 weeks later...

We believe by faith that Christ died for our sins and that as His children, we died to sin along with Him. Therefore, sin no longer has control over us as we have God's strength to help us "stand up" against sin.

• 1 month later...

I am to know with complete confidence that Jesus' death on the Cross broke the power of my old sin self and all sinful habits.

I claim the promise of being dead to sin and alive to God and repent of sinful strongholds that have not been demolished in my life.

I AM A NEW CREATION.