JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Reckoning Ourselves Dead to Sin's Power

Q5. (Romans 6:11) What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11? Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true? What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin?

It means that I have come to accept this truth, to trust in it. No, this is what we have been taught but we were given the choice to accept or not, and so in believing in the Word, we believe in this to be true. We who believe this to be true will walk a straighter path with courage and strength, some will even be bold because we know that we being in Christ and Christ being in us we are free of sin and the hold sin had on us.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. (Romans 6:11) What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11? Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true? What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin?

It means as Paul has said we can be definate, on solid ground of truth, Jesus Christ died and rose again to the satisfaction of the Father, He paid the demanding price for our sins.

We walk in victory, we walk as a blood bought redeemed people, confindent that sin has no longer dominion over us.

Alas, and did my Savior bleed?

And did my Sovereign die?

Would He devote that sacred head

For such a worm as I?

Refrain

At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,

And the burden of my heart rolled away,

It was there by faith I received my sight,

And now I am happy all the day!

Was it for crimes that I had done,

He groaned upon the tree?

Amazing pity! grace unknown!

And love beyond degree!

Thank you Lord

• 1 month later...

No, this is very true when we believe in and put our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; then we know for certain, absolutely so, that since Christ in His death was totally freed from this sinful world, so we Christians are united in Him and His death, we, too, are freed from the doing the sins of this world as far as Christ is our Master; and this will completely change our whole lives as we now live for Christ in all the things we do and say

• 2 months later...

To count or recon that we have died to sin means simply that; that we are to live as if we had actually died to sin. To live as if sin no longer had control over our lives. I died to the sins of alcohol, once doing so I never thought that it had control ovrer me again. Stopped, quit, finished, final.., not one day at a time but forever..

Is it hard to do the right thing all the time? Yes it is. Paul even thought so. But he said he put away the things of this world, counted them as worthless, as nothing so that he might gain the prize that awaits all who believe. The question is not is it true, rather it is, do we want it???

Darrell

• 5 weeks later...

It means that if we believe that Christ died and was buried once for all for sin, and if we believe that we have been united with Christ, in the way that Paul has been discussing throughout this passage, then it is an inevitable conclusion that we are as a result "dead to sin and alive to God in Jesus Christ". Really just a mathematical calculation like 2 + 2 = 4! The implication of this for our lives is revolutionary. It means that we are no longer inevitably caught up in the cycle of sin, whatever Satan may try to tell us otherwise, and we really are dead to sin and alive in God. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Pastor Ralph,

Part 3, Q5. (Romans 6:11) "To count" means to believe that we are dead to sin. In other words, we should not want any part of sin. This means that we believe that Jesus forgave us of our sins, He died for us, and we believe this. Therefore, we are willing to live our lives for Him. Since we are willing to live this way, we are dead to sin. No, we are not convincing ourselves of something that isn't true. It is true! Therefore, the effect this has on our lives is one of joy. No longer are we on the way to hell but instead we are going to live forever in heaven. Also, as we live, our lives will be full of peace that only God can give. We also have a new reason for living and that is to win souls for Christ.

• 1 month later...

In verse 11 the words "reckon, consider, count" imply that if you believe that Christ died once for all for sins and if you have been united with Him to His death and burial by baptism then you must consider yourself to be dead to sin in the same way. The use of the word reckon does not imply a state of convincing rather it is a state of accepting that which is believed. This belief liberates us from the bondage of sin and we are free to enjoy the abundant life that is ours in Christ Jesus.

I think what Paul means with

• 1 month later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=804

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus doesn

Q5. (Romans 6:11) What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11?

ANS - "It's a definite or determined fact"

Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true?

ANS - By no means! It is a fact of history, and of scripture, of which we must accept by faith!

What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin?

ANS - Sin and death will no longer have power over us. We will be set free in him, free to live in newness of life, and the ability to live a victorious life in Christ!

• 2 weeks later...

What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11?

Paul uses this "reckon" in the mathematical sense....to figure, to consider. So when all is said and done the equations equals that Christ died once, and paid the price for our sin . He does not die multiple times...the debt is paid.

Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true?

No...this is true...the price was paid once by our Lord Jesus Christ. We are now set free.

What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin?

We are no longer slaves to the power of sin. This does not mean that we are without temptation, but we have the answer, the key.....Christ has broken those chains that bound us and replaced them with a new spirit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Answer:Reckon means to count,or estimate,to understand,to consider ourselves dead to sin and alive in Christ.

We are convincing ourselves,to what is true in our new nature,being united with Christ.And the effect,of this understanding that we died with Christ,is that we will live in Christ like manner,having all the fruit of the spirit manifest into our life.

Instead,of magnifying and struggling with sin;we can now focus on our new nature in Christ,looking unto heaven for the glory that is stored in us.

• 3 weeks later...

When I count myself dead to sin, I consider the truth that my sins have been eliminated. If I consider the truth of my death to sin, I can walk in victory and unity with Christ. He has won the battle. We must join Him to raise the banner.

• 4 weeks later...

- We are to reckon, consider (by faith) ourselves dead to sin but alive to God through Jesus Christ.

- No, It is a fact that through Baptism we were Baptized into Christ's death. By faith we reckon that when he died I died.

- We have victory over sin because the essential power of sin has been broken in our lives by the cross and we are no longer compelled to be habitual sinners.

• 4 weeks later...

Count means to consider, to believe that we are dead to sin. We have become united with Christ because of what He did on the cross and His burial and resurrection. We no longer mastered by sin and sin has no more power over us even though we will still be tempted by sin, but we will not feel like we have to sin because that is what we do naturally. Thus we can live a life that is pleasing to God because we have the Holy Spirit living in us helping us to resist sin's power when temptation comes our way. We will not do everything right but it gives us assurance that we can fight, that we have the most powerful HELP on our side helping us resists these temptations as they come into our lives.

• 1 month later...

We are to adjust our thinking so that we believe these things as facts.

No, that's positive thinking which is the domain of the mentally deranged in my book. Nor are we trying to create a situation by "thinking it into existence" as some philosophers propose.

We are altering our perception of something that God has declared to be so. It's in the Bible, written under the inspiration of God and we have to adjust our thought processes to accept it and live according to it.

Well, I hope it'll mean a victorious and productive Christian life.

This means a logical deduction much like the IF statements in mathematics. One logical conclusion flowing from another. It also calls for a person to add think on what this statement means to their individual life or it's effect on ourselves.

No as mentioned above it is a logical deduction based on a historic event.

We are empowered by this knowledge, I know I have been very empowered by this because I know now when sin comes calling that Jesus who is daily delivering me will find me a way out and I can make the choice not to fall head long into the temptation. Even if I fall for it, I am aware that I don not have to repeat the cycle again and keep on falling, I can choose now to receiev instruction from God's Word and His prompting in my heart and stand firm next time.

• 4 weeks later...

To "reckon" with something is to come to terms with it. By all accounts everybody is born into a sinful world. When we consider this and we accept by faith that we can be freed by our faith in Christ we will forever be trying to come to terms or question everything that we do.

• 2 months later...

Yes, this verse helps me remember that I belong to Christ; He bought me with His blood; there is no condemnation; I just pray for focus on Him to resist temptations. Thank you Jesus!

• 4 months later...

Now I am like Christ, because I was buried and resurrected like Him, so-to-speak.

No. Jesus lived a sinless life, and He was obedient even to death on the cross.

Now I see myself as being buried with Christ in sin, and risen to new life. This means that I want to be like Christ, and that is what I am ever striving for-to be like Christ. I will never be perfect in the flesh, but I am always trying to be like Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...

What does it mean to reckon yourself dead to sin? It means if God says we are and Jesus died to sin for us then I reckon it is so!

We are convincing ourselves of something that IS true!

If we actually do consider ourselves dead to sin, but alive to God, then we will grow up as true sons of God.

• 3 months later...

(Romans 6:11) What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11? Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true? What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin?

To "reckon, consider, or count" means that we can be sure of, to count on something that it is true. We can count on the fact that we are dead to sin.

No, we are not convincing ourselves of something. We are standing on the fact that it is true because it IS true.

The effects on our lives will be that we will not be entangled again into bondage of sin. We've been set free. We've died to sin so it no longer is the master of our lives. We will walk in victory. However, it doesn't mean we won't sin because we still have a sinful nature in the flesh.

• 1 month later...

Q5. (Romans 6:11) What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11? Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true? What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin

"reckon" in Romans 6:11 means to believe and aknowledge. It doesn't need any convincing because it is true! When we accept Christ as our saviour in faith, we put to death our sinful nature just as Jesus died on the cross for our sins. As we believe and aknowledge Christ's death as a sacrifice to redeem us from sin, we are able to live a new life where sin has no more dominance over us. Jesus has done the battle and we only need to believe in Him and allow the Holy Spirit to do its work in us. With this new life , the Holy Spirit empowers us to live a Christ-like life. We can face temptation and overcome it and even if we fail and sin, God is ever willing to forgive us and allow us to start anew. We may still sin but less frequently.