JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Conformed to Jesus' Likeness

Before I answer these questions I want to share something that happened to me early on in my born again life with Jesus. This event happened shortly after I had been born again. One day, while I was going about my daily routine I was washing the dishes and conversing with God out loud as I often do. I asked Him,

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to "be conformed to the likeness of his Son" means that God is working in us to shape us into Christ's image and character. This most likely involves struggle and conflict - vehicles for change. As we become more like Jesus, we become closer to God, spiritually and as sons and daughters to their Father.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (Romans 8:29) What does it mean to "be conformed to the likeness of his Son"? In practical terms, what does that involve in our lives? Why does Paul support this statement with ideas of our destiny? Why does he support this with ideas of brotherhood with Jesus?

Teenagers in the process fo growing up select models and conform to them. The hippies of the sixties selected the jeans model and wore them as a sign of their non-conformity! But they were conforming to a new image - jeans, not suits! The process of conformation is normal in everyone's life. God tells us we can be conscious of our patterns of conformation, and elect to conform to Jesus (instead of Elvis or some rock star). In that way we become part of the eternal family, and become increasingly like the 'family'.

If we conform to the family of God, or to Jesus our pattern, we study His style and imitate it. We lock into everything He is doing and become part of it, meeting others who are doing the same thing. We examine everything to see if it's "cool" in Heaven, and make choices and selection on that basis. We establish habits that identify us with Jesus. We maintain constant connection with Him.

I believe every man born was destined to become a son of God, Jesus being the firstborn among many (the rest of us). Whether he achieves that destiny is basically up to him. Whether we achieve our full destiny is largely up to us. Jesus did, fully achieve His Father's purpose for Him,and is the first among many. We, as fully adopted sons, are given the same rights as the Victorious Jesus, whose Spirit we have.

We are to be like Jesus, people should be able to see Jesus in us. We should conduct ourselves in a manner that is worthy of being a child of God. Paul talks about our destiny so that we will keep growing, never giving up untill the race is over. Jesus in the perfect big brother (what an amazing idea) and we are to look up to him and be like him. This is our goal.

Q2. (Romans 8:29) What does it mean to "be conformed to the likeness of his Son"? In practical terms, what does that involve in our lives? Why does Paul support this statement with ideas of our destiny? Why does he support this with ideas of brotherhood with Jesus?

To be like Jesus-to be compassionate. Have His attitude, His outlook. If we could have all of Jesus' attributes and none of the sin, we could accomplish some pretty amazing things! But we can pray and ask God to develope the attributes in us, and depend on God to make it happen as He sees fit.

If our fellow man saw more of Jesus' attributes in us, then they would know that we belong to God, and then they would maybe be more willing to listen to us when we witness.

Q2. (Romans 8:29) What does it mean to "be conformed to the likeness of his Son"?

To be as much like Jesus as we can be. To love like He loves.

In practical terms, what does that involve in our lives?

No more hatred, or prejudice. We love our neighbor as we love ourselves.

Why does Paul support this statement with ideas of our destiny?

That this was God

• 1 month later...

What does it mean to be confomred to the LIKENESS of his Son. to put others first and to be self-less and forgiving and loving and have the Holy Spirit..

It involvess putting others first and loving the unloveable

We are predestined to be in the likeness of his son. But I think that it takes our whole lifetime to be totally conforned because we are in sinful flesh

and even though we strive to get it right we always fall a little short.

It is only through the Holy Spirit that we can be in the likeness of Jesus and that's the part that makes us his brother and sisters. In that we have

the Holy spirit. It is onlly by the HOly Spirit that we can attempt to be like Jesus.

• 4 weeks later...

To be conformed to the likeness of Christ is to live in aacordance with His teaching. Jesus taught us to love God and to love each other. Matter of fact He tells us that is how others will recognize that we belong to Him. He taught us to love our enemies, pray for those who persecute you, walk two miles with someone who asked you to walk with him one

• 4 months later...

God's purpose is to save us and to shape us into Christ's very image.

In practical terms, that involves struggle, conflict, pain, joy, and tribulation. Like a blacksmith who hammers out the shape of a horseshoe, we are forged and hammered into shape. God is the potter and we are the clay to be shaped into the sons and daughters of God.

:rolleyes: Our destiny is to become like Jesus, to be shaped or changed in the character of Jesus. We are to take on the family resemblance as we are the sons and daughters of God and the brothers and sisters of Jesus.

I agree with Pastor Ralph "Wow, what an honor!"

• 1 month later...

It means that we who are called to Him will try to take on His ways, we will try to be more like Him in all that we say and do. We give up our way of living, surrender it to God. Listen to God and allow Him to change us, in the way we think, talk, act. God knows all, He knew before we did that we would be His followers. Jesus was first, He made the way for us and all who follow it is of free mind and will. We who do follow are partakers in all with Christ, the suffering as well as the good. :rolleyes:

It means that we who are called to Him will try to take on His ways, we will try to be more like Him in all that we say and do. We give up our way of living, surrender it to God. Listen to God and allow Him to change us, in the way we think, talk, act. God knows all, He knew before we did that we would be His followers. Jesus was first, He made the way for us and all who follow it is of free mind and will. We who do follow are partakers in all with Christ, the suffering as well as the good. :rolleyes:

(Romans 8:29) What does it mean to "be conformed to the likeness of his Son"?

In all things to be as Jesus, in attitude, grace and forgiveness. Always doing the Fathers business, to be Christ like, a reflection of the Lord as we walk tgis life.

To let others see Christ in us.

Have we not come under adoption by the Father by the Son and His crosswork, what a pleasure what a revelation, me a mere tramp has become a son of the Most High God and to be considered worthy throught Jesus Christ my Saviour to become a son of God.

John 1: 12

Thank you Lord for saving me.

• 3 months later...

Romans 8:29:

For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren;

This means that we should have the mirror character the exact likeness of His Son, Jesus Christ. In our lives we would be acting, thinking doing as Christ did. This reminds of the WWJD bracelets that were popular...but instead of a bracelet our lives would be what would Jesus do living. Paul wants us to be comforted knowing that we were choisen not only only for His saving Grace but also for the change in our lives which comes about from this. I believe that Paul supports this with idea of family because that is something we understand...the whole concept of being alike in families. Since Christ is our brother and we are like Him and He is like His Father...then we are also alike...praise God this is our family inheritance.

Rom 8:29 Those whom God had already chosen he also set apart to become like his Son, so that the Son would be the first among many believers.

it means that we should be a copie of God in his imag, also we should act like him. Because when jesus looks in the mirror he should see us as his reflection.

1. meaning to accept to be Jesus's son.

2. we have some destiny to choose the right path.

3. paul made an idea that jesus is telling paul to do.

4. when jesus has a brotherhood, maybe it shows him that he had a destiny.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Romans 8:29) What does it mean to "be conformed to the likeness of his Son"? It means to become like Jesus in the way that close brothers and sisters can be seen to be alike.

In practical terms, what does that involve in our lives? It involves us becoming more like Christ as we progress through our lives. In practical terms, this means spending more time with Christ in prayer, worship and study of the Bible in the same way as family members become more alike the more time they spend together.

Why does Paul support this statement with ideas of our destiny? Because it is where we are heading. Ultimately we will be conformed to the image of Christ, which was always God's intention for us.

Why does he support this with ideas of brotherhood with Jesus? As I mention in my answer to the 1st and 2nd questions, our relationship with Christ should be one of a close brother or sister growing closer the more time we spend together.

What does it mean to be conformed to the likeness of His Son? Romans 8:29 In this passage, it means that we should strive to think like Jesus and to do what Jesus would do in every circumstance we encounter.

In practical terms, what does that involve in our lives? In order to be comformed to the likeness of His Son, we should always keep an attitude of prayer, talk often throughout the day with God, and listen to what He tells us. We should read the Bible daily,study it, and act upon it.

Paul supports this statement with ideas of our destiny because it is natural to live as God wants us to live since we love Him. Also, living our life as God wants us to live it is what we're going to be doing when we are with God.

All brothers and sisters in Christ should have the mind of Christ; therefore, we all will act like Him and be a relection of Jesus.

• 4 weeks later...

What does it mean to "be conformed to the likeness of his Son"? After we ask for forgiveness of our sins and we accept that Jesus is God's son, Jesus will declare us "not guilty," forgive our sins, and declare us as his brothers and sisters. Also, He promises that as long as we continue living for Him, we will share in His future glory.

In practical terms, what does that involve in our lives? This goes back to John chapter 15 where He is the Vine and we are the branches. Verse 4 states that He lives in us and we are to live in Him if we love Him and belong to Him. Therefore, the Holy Spirit will always be with us to guide us and comfort us. Also, we are able to have life more abundantly as long as we love Jesus and do the will of our Father. Until Jesus comes, we will have trouble and trials, but the Comforter will always be in us to guide us through these times.

Why does Paul support this statement with ideas of our destiny? First, since God loves us, He sent Jesus to die to rescue us from sin and give all who ask for it, a life with Him. Jesus had to go through what He did to do what God needed Him to do. Therefore, it makes sense that since we are to be sons and daughters of God, we will have to go through trials for the glory of God also. This is part of the brotherhood with Jesus.

• 2 months later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=827

Rom 8:29 Those whom God had already chosen he also set apart to become like his Son, so that the Son would be the first among many believers. (GNB)

To be conformed to the likeness of Jesus is to be Christlike, to put aside our

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Romans 8:29) What does it mean to "be conformed to the likeness of his Son"?

To "be conformed to the likeness of his Son" means to be changed into the character of Jesus Christ. Having His attitude towards God and man.

It involves us giving up the old man, renunciating the old man, the deeds of the flesh, and taking on righteousness; becoming more like Jesus every day.

Paul supports this statement with ideas of our destiny because our likeness of the Son is not instantaneous, rather .we conform day by day, moment by moment becoming like Him more and more until we are ruling with Him in the new Jerusalem.

Why does he support this with ideas of brotherhood with Jesus?

Paul supports this with ideas of brotherhood with Jesus so that we can know that we are indeed brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ Himself.

• 2 weeks later...

We have to become like Jesus.

That's our destiny.

We have to live according to His will.

We don't do what we want ourselves but what we read in the Bible.

Our destiny is to become one with Christ.

We become one if we become the same.

Q2. (Romans 8:29) What does it mean to "be conformed to the likeness of his Son"? In practical terms, what does that involve in our lives?

ANS - We become more like Him, being molded into His character, His holiness. He is the potter, I am the clay. It is like being married for many years (the wife and I have been married 41) - you become more and more like each other if you truly love each other.

ANS - Because if God is God, and we love Him, His true purpose is to transform us into His likeness. Kind of like Romans 12:2 - "transforming me by the renewing of my mind".

ANS - There will be many that follow after Christ, and will become like Him.

• 2 weeks later...

What does it mean to "be conformed to the likeness of his Son"?

To be conformed to His likeness means that we truly become more like Jesus, by our character, our show of love, mercy, kindness...we want to be a reflection of His love.

I think it means laying down those selfish desires that are only self....and keeping our eyes on the Savior.

Paul teaches this so that we know God chose us....loved us so much that he asked us ti be one of His kids....AWESOME....

Paul compares us to being sons and daughters...we have that need to be family. Jesus is the first born Big Brother...and I am His little sister.

• 2 weeks later...

2a)Means aiming to become more like the nature & character of Jesus in our thoughts & actions. :) B)In practical terms need to grow closer to him in prayer & reading the bible so that my thoughts &actions/reactions become naturally more like Jesus’ e.g thinking of needs of others before self, demonstrate the fruit of the spirit and have a mission focus sharing the good news to everyone especially those in need. C)Paul is reminding us that this has always been God's plan. B) D)Paul is reminding us as chosen children of God we are accepted & as co-heirs with Jesus who will receive the full spiritual inheritance that God has prepared. :D