JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Members of God's Household

It tells us, that we all come together as one Family, That we love one another, That we love God with our whole hearts.That we allow God to come into our lives, and let him to take over. People who do not come and join in with the congregation, cannot begin to understand, what is missing in their lives.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As members of God's household we are clearly His family, His children and He is our heavenly Father. He is strong yet loving, firm but giving, powerful though merciful, wrathful and forgiving. He is Lord.

In our congregation we are family. We should not be disjointed cliques but all in one as in Christ's body, perfectly joined with one head, that being Jesus.

Those who do not regular attendees of their congregation are as a branch broken fron the tree, soon to wither and die.

The nature of the church and God should be the same in that we share our love for one another regardless of our testimony. God has called together, and will continue to add to us, a unique conglomeration of believers to demonstrate and appreciate His love.

Our fellowship has to be open to the diversity which God brings together. It is not easy but it is key. God uses love as our common bond and we as believers share in our trust in Jesus Christ.

Be careful not to cause someone to fall away from the church. Fellowship is to be inviting and encouraging not a penalty or measuring stick. God judges the heart not attendance. People fellowship, or tend to fellowship, where the Spirit of the Lord is evident. So let love, truth, justice of the Lord shine.

• 11 months later...
Q3. (Ephesians 2:19b) What does the phrase "members of God's household" tell us about the nature of the Church and about the nature of God? What does it tell us about the kind of fellowship that is appropriate in the local congregation? What are the implications for those Christians who aren't faithful to gather with the local congregation? Exposition

The Church is the family of God and God is our Father. For this reason, the local churches should be supporting one another as brothers, sisters, even moms and dads. When a Christian does not attend a local church this opportunity is lost. However, many of the local churches, in my location, regardless of denomination, are very large and trying to be large in numbers. I have found it very difficult to have the close knit fellowship in these large churches.

Q3. (Ephesians 2:19b) What does the phrase "members of God's household" tell us about the nature of the Church and about the nature of God? What does it tell us about the kind of fellowship that is appropriate in the local congregation? What are the implications for those Christians who aren't faithful to gather with the local congregation? Exposition

-WE are family, not just fellow citizens. We are all adopted into His home. We are equal with each other, whether we are pastors or first day Christians.

-No one is better than another one. Therefore we rely on each others trust and love.

-I guess it depends what they are doing outside of the congregation. They may occassionally be playing golf, but if while the play they evangelize, they could be our most effective attenders. However, people who simply don't attend because...hey, they often don't have a reason that makes real sense other than laziness. These people may believe in God and go to Heaven but they are missing that part of Heaven that begins RIGHT NOW.

I love what everybody has said in answer to the question from this weeks question. I have a question. My daughter has extreme anxiety; she is on medication; has professed Christ as her

Lord and Savior; has been abused by her husband, both physically and emotionally. She has panic attacks when she goes anywhere. How can she participate in a local congregation when

she is so disfunctional? The pastor at her church preached that taking pills for emotional pain is a sin. Any help? Thanks.

• 1 year later...

" Members of God's household" to me says that we are family, but we are of a spiritual family. God's household isn't of any buildings here, or systems of government or social settings in a building called a church. The very nature of God is of the spirit, so we are a spiritual household. We ourselves are the living stones that build the house. Jesus is the cornerstone. Without Him, we will collapse. Our fellowship is of the Spirit also. We demonstrate fruits of the Spirit and filled by the Spirit, relate to each other in and of the Spirit. Ways of the world are abandoned and we are filled to live a more excellent way by the power of the Holy Spirit in love.

I've been very briefly in a place where I did not want to fellowship with others because of so much worldliness in the church. Though I remained connected with God, I felt isolated and alone and really struggled with holding on to things not of the Spirit. I wasn't forgiving and was becoming self righteous in how I thought and was very frustrated with the spiritual abuse I was surrounded with in the particular "church" I was attending. God though was patient with me in my time away and directed me through devotionals and christian programming to see the church in a different way with more humbleness and I returned.....but to a different church. I did find one with more humble people and am continuing to trust God to grow us and build us together. Still not perfect, but with more understanding of everyone being included and growing in the grace and knowledge of Jesus, standing at the foot of the cross together. We are of the Spirit and of a spiritual kingdom, so we need to fellowship with those truly of the Kingdom and we know them by their love and their fruit. No matter in our local congregations or far from home, our fellowship is with our brothers and sisters in Christ.

• 1 month later...

It means that God wants to be a father for us.

It means that we have to behave like brothers and sisters.

They disobey.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The nature of God

• 2 months later...

When we accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, we become members of God's household or family. We are also part of the community called the church. The church is not a building made of brick and stone, but consist of real people. Jesus is the cornerstone. We have to work together and come together so that God's glory can be displayed in the congregation. We have to love and serve each other. The people who do not want to be part of the local congregation, miss the fellowship of believers and the blessing of God.

• 3 months later...

1. This phrase tells us we, as members of Gods household, are all equally loved by God. We are all different, not just in size, shape, but our histories are different. That is why we see things differently, have different ideas. God is the glue that can hold us all togeather as one family.

2. We are to love one another. To forgive one another. To always remember we are one in Gods sight.

3. They miss out on a lot of love. We all need friendship and support from others. What better place to receive it than in Gods house with Gods love on us all.

We are members of God's royal house made possible through God's only begotten Son, Jesus Christ. We are not only brothers and sisters in Christ, but have direct access to the Father, have Christ's authority, and the power of the Holy Spirit. The church has been given awesome power and priviledge, and we can exercise it when we join together as one. Those believers who do not fellowship with church are missing out on both the benefits and blessings.

• 2 months later...

The phrase “members of God’s household” tell us that the nature of the Church and God is that we are all interconnected and we are part of that connection. It also tells that the fellowship that is appropriate is like one of a family. This implies that those Christians who aren’t faithful to gather with the local congregation are missing the family relationship that we all long for.

• 4 months later...

The nature of the church - the congregation is a family with God as the head, that is the Father. And as a family we are to love one another and help one another. It is like someone once said, "You can choose your friends, but you cannot choose your family members."

The nature of God - God, as our Father, provides for our every need. Physically and Spiritually, our needs are provided and God gives us protection from the evil one.

In the local congregation, we are to support one another in love. We will all have different opinions of different issues. But we must let love become our solution and agree to disagree.

I believe that Hebrews 10:25 is a command to meet together. As a report that I just read says, to stay strong and firm in Jesus, you must gather with other Christians for fellowship.

• 3 years later...

" Members of God's household." Wow, that is a really intense thought for me. It tells me that I am to live with God and angels and saints in heaven. It really signifies that I belong to God. I belong with Him as an adopted child. I am in harmony with all the angels that are in the heavenly realm. It all proves that God is the ultimate love.

There should be a feeling of acceptance to all at the local church. There should be a loving and caring feeling for all to worship. A person should be able to enter a church and feel safe. There should not be anyone who looks down their noses at any of the new people.

I think that a Christian who does not share their faith with others can be very lonely. Their faith can become stagnant.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (Ephesians 2:19b) What does the phrase "members of God's household" tell us about the nature of the Church and about the nature of God? What does it tell us about the kind of fellowship that is appropriate in the local congregation? What are the implications for those Christians who aren't faithful to gather with the local congregation?

"Members of the household" is the Greek noun oikeios, "persons who are related by kinship or circumstances and form a closely knit group. (notes) Paul is here describing for the ephesians and any subsequent reader the nature of the group. It is a household. In Roman times the welfare of a large household was dependant upon all of the parts of the household working together- from the paternal leader to the lowliest slave.  If one did not do their part the whole body of the household would be affected. Each had a responsibility to look after the other. Paul saw his small house churches in the same fashion -all for one and one for all.

In the same fashion in the modern church it should be all for one and one for all.

A speaker stold a story in the days of the coal fire in the hearth. The red coals all glow faithfully when they are together in the hearth but if one is picked out of the fire with tongs and swt by itself it soon loses its glow. So it is with Christians-we need to attend church regularly despite the quality of the speaker or the music. Perhaps all that is needed for a spark is the one that is missing.

• 5 years later...

Members of house hold of God are those who believe in Christ.The nature of the church must be the people who teach themselves to love one another because the God that we serve is the Loving God.The kinds of felowship the church must have is to show love from other church members,help each other in the difficult times and worshipping God inSpirit and Truth.The church must show love to unbelievers so that they can win their souls to God.