JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me? (Mark 15:34)

Q4. What does Jesus' Fourth Word from the cross teach

us about faith? About commitment? About love? What effect should

this understanding have on our lives?

God is a faithful God. When Jesus took the sins of the world upon His shoulders to be taken to the grave with Him, He drank the "cup" of sin. - Jesus became sin.. God even though He loved His Son dearly, He knew that Jesus would have to atone for our sins (which were now His sins) by being separated from His beloved Father as it is stated in:

Isaiah 59:2

"But your iniquities have separated you from your God;

your sins have hidden his face from you,

so that he will not hear."

Micah 3:4

Then they will cry out to the LORD, but he will not answer them. At that time he will hide his face from them because of the evil they have done.

God shows us here not only His immense love,and faithfulness for His only Son, but His immense love for us as well. Being crucified for our sins, He is also being separated from the Father(whom He has never been separated from since birth) BECAUSE of our sinfulness which He bore, the stripes of sins which were ours, not His, He must endure this painful separation. Not only is it painful for Jesus, the Son, but equally as painful for God, the Father.. Such LOVE for us cannot be denied!

What effect should this understanding have on our lives?

This should have a profound effect on our lives. Knowing that for just a short time God separated from His beloved Son to atone for our sins shows His immense love for all of mankind. A separation of this magnitude can only be accomplished through a Faithful, Graceful, Loving, God. These last words, this separation, from God the Father, and The Son,(The brokenness of the Trinity) should give us an even higher awareness of what our sins cost.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Mark 15:34) What does Jesus� Fourth Word from the cross teach us about faith?

Jesus' Fourth Word from the cross teaches us that faith requires complete trust in God. We must believe that God

is always in control even whn we don't feel His presence and the way seem to be out of control. God is Almighty,

and is eternally in control of providence, we must trust Him.

About commitment?

Jesus Fourth Word from the cross teaches us that our commitment though it may bring hardship, God will give us

the strength to complete.

About love?

Jesus Fourth Word from the cross teaches us that love may bring extreme emotional and physical pain.

This understanding should cause us to realize that as servants of God our lives are totally in His hands and that

we must put our trust in God.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Mark 15:34) What does Jesus� Fourth Word from the cross teach us about faith? About commitment? About love? What effect should this understanding have on our lives?

4.a. The Fourth word from the cross "My God, My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" teaches us about faith in that the worse thing that can happen to anyone, even death, is the excrutiating feeling of being forsaken by God, but Jesus had faith and knew that His heavenly Father loved Him so much and He trusted Him to make a way out, so submitted Himself to the will of God.

b. About commitment - in that being committed to God and trusting Him through our trials and tribulations, He too will make a way out where there could possibly be no way out.

c. About love - In that God loves us and He will never leave us or forsake us.

d. We should be at peace in knowing that our Heavely Father cares for us, loves us and will be there for us.

• 11 months later...

What does Jesus' Fourth Word from the cross teach us about faith? IT WORKS WHEN YOU DO NOT SEE BUT MUST PLOW FORWARD IN DARKNESS AND PAIN WITHOUT A GUARANTEE OF OUTCOME.

About commitment? IT MUST BE UNCONDITIONAL AND GUIRDED IN PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY.

About love? YOU MUST LOVE ENOUGH THAT OUTCOMES DO NOT MATTER; ONLY GOD'S PLAN AS YOU KNOW IT.

What effect should this understanding have on our lives? WE NEED TO LEARN TO LOVE LIKE THAT.

The fourth Word teaches us of how utterly committed God and His only Son were in seeking the salvation of the World through this extreme torment and suffering. And done for the prime reason of Love for we wretched beings ! And so our faith should be all the more committed when we realise this fact. The effect of our understanding of these facts should lead us to our total committment also in honour, gratitude and love for the Saviour and th sacrifice we cannot fully understand.

Q4. (Mark 15:34) What does Jesus� Fourth Word from the cross teach us about faith? About commitment? About love? What effect should this understanding have on our lives?

Total faith, commitment, and love are essential.

If we are lacking in these we will not endure through the periods of darkness that come upon us in this dark world. We will not continue on the hard path that is with us and or before us.

We need to spend time with the Lord from whom these essentials come. It is imperative to separate ourselves from the world and have time with our Lord to renew, refresh and reinvigorate our faith, commitment and love.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15;13

• 5 months later...

Jesus willingly accepted God the Father's will in taking on human sin and dying on the cross for the forgiveness of that sin so all humanity could have the opportunity for reconciliation with God.  Jesus trusted His Father's plan that all would work out according to that plan.   The Father and the Son are One and the Son, Jesus, was committed to the Father's will submitting His own will for the greater plan -- God's plan.  We should have the same commitment to God as Jesus did, trusting that God is in control and knows what He is doing. 

• 5 months later...

Jesus' fourth word teaches us about love.  Jesus loves the Father and they "both" love us.  Jesus through his love teaches us commitment and faith.  His faith was so strong as was his love for us that he died for us.  No one could ever love us this much.

• 1 month later...

Mark 15:34) What does Jesus' Fourth Word from the cross teach us about faith? About commitment? About love? What effect should this understanding have on our lives?

The Fourth Word from the cross teaches us about faith: though Jesus was in agony and the throes death, He still rusted His Father, and was crying out to Him for help. His Father's back was turned away from Him because of the sins of the world carried on Him, and yet even in separation rom His Father, Jesus, lives total by faith, He knew His Father was there.

About commitment:Jesus endured abandonment and separation from His Father, so that you and I will never experience being forsaken by Him. He experienced for us the God-abandonment which we would experience had He not gone through it in our place or on our behalf. Jesus did this for us. It shows the great love He had for ALL MANKIND.

About love: Jesus agonizing saying from the cross teaches us something about how much the Father and Son both love us…..so much that they are willing to sever (cut) for a time their love for each other. It shows how precious we are to God as His creatures.

What effect should this understanding have on our lives:

It should transform our understanding of how precious we are as individuals to Him. It should increase our devotion and obedience to Him. His love should be returned to Him every day of our lives and with every free, cleansed breath that we breathe.  A verse from the Old Testament helps us understand: "But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear." (Isaiah 59:2)

Mark 15:34) What does Jesus' Fourth Word from the cross teach us about faith? About commitment? About love? What effect should this understanding have on our lives?

The Fourth Word from the cross teaches us about faith: though Jesus was in agony and the throes death, He still rusted His Father, and was crying out to Him for help. His Father's back was turned away from Him because of the sins of the world carried on Him, and yet even in separation rom His Father, Jesus, lives total by faith, He knew His Father was there.

About commitment:Jesus endured abandonment and separation from His Father, so that you and I will never experience being forsaken by Him. He experienced for us the God-abandonment which we would experience had He not gone through it in our place or on our behalf. Jesus did this for us. It shows the great love He had for ALL MANKIND.

About love: Jesus agonizing saying from the cross teaches us something about how much the Father and Son both love us…..so much that they are willing to sever (cut) for a time their love for each other. It shows how precious we are to God as His creatures.

It should transform our understanding of how precious we are as individuals to Him. It should increase our devotion and obedience to Him. His love should be returned to Him every day of our lives and with every free, cleansed breath that we breathe.  A verse from the Old Testament helps us understand: "But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear." (Isaiah 59:2)

• 9 months later...

Jesus knew the love of the Father like no one else. He was always very close to Him. On His dying words, He called the Father God. He knew that the Father was there somewhere, but He was not abler to see or feel Him.

Jesus knew what was going to happen to Him. He knew how He was going to have to suffer for us and for our sins. He knew it was not going to be easy, but He was going to go through it because the Father needed Him to do it.

Jesus loved us so much that He was willing to die for us. There is no other way to describe this kind of love.

To me, I really havr a hard time describing the love and closeness I feel to Jesus and to the Father after studying this lesson. I want so much to be found worthy of this love every moment of my life. I so much want to change my life to ber a proper follower of Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus fourth word from the cross teaches us that the faith Christ had by going to the cross and bearing our sins was the will of the Father. And his faith that the Father would except his sacrifice for the redemption of our sins for all that would believe in Him.

It teaches us that even though Christ knew that suffering and the cross were ahead for him, he still had the commitment to do as the Father wanted him to accomplish.

Jesus love for the Father and for us was so great that he was willing to accomplish the will of the Father and the love he had for us.

The understanding of Jesus faith, commitment and the love for his Father and us should show how we are to love the Lord with all our mind, heart and soul and to love our neighbors as ourselves.    

• 1 month later...

What does Jesus' Fourth Word from the cross teach us about faith?

Even though Jesus has addresses God as would any other supplicant, it doesn't represent loss of faith. The fact that he is praying, "My God," shows that he still trusts God. But the intimacy of fellowship seems to have been broken. There is a loss of contact. Jesus can no longer feel his Father's presence.

About commitment?

Jesus knows that the cross would mean separation from God. He struggles hard against it. Yet in the end, he prays, "Not my will, but yours be done" (Luke 22:42). He has made his decision.

About love?

Jesus' agonizing saying from the cross teaches us something about how much the Father and Son both love us --  so much that that they are willing to sever for a time their love for each other.

The understanding of Jesus' faith, commitment and love for his Father and us should show how we are to love the Lord. Mark tells us: "29 “The most important commandment is this: ‘Listen, O Israel! The Lord our God is the one and only Lord. 30 And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’[a] 31 The second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] No other commandment is greater than these.” (Mark 12:29-31 (NLT)) 

(Mark 15:34) What does Jesus� Fourth Word from the cross teach us about faith? About commitment? About love? What effect should this understanding have on our lives?      

• In our moments of trials and tribulations, sometimes our faith weakens.   Even though Jesus cried out to the Father "why thou has forsaken me" he knew he was there for him and loved him.  It teaches us that the Father and Son loved us.  We should recognized that sometimes God allow things to happen in our lives for our own good. We should have the faith that He will bring us thru our trials and tribulations, commit our lives to him and know that he loved us enough to give his life for us.

Jesus had faith, commitment and love for the Father even in His darkest hours. He showed the true meaning of love at its fullest. Things in live can cause us to say, Heavenly Father where are I need you. We have to have faith that He will always be there for us. Thank you Jesus for dying for me!

“My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?" (4th & the central word of Jesus from the Cross)

Jesus have escaped this death ? Remember this – “Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?”(Matt 26:53). No, He did not give in to that temptation - instead Jesus chose to be forsaken by His Father as He bore the sins of the world. “Abba, Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”

On the other hand, we can assume that was fulfilling a Psalm that was written 1000 years before He was born, there at Calvary on the Cross. Jesus in dying on the cross was directing human attention to the holy scriptures to substantiate His Messianic Mission.

Again, there’s this : "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."(Cor 5:21) So could it be at this point of time that God turned His back on the One who loved Him – the time when Jesus cried out aloud, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?" Because, God’s eyes are too pure to look at evil and cannot tolerate wrongdoing. (Habb 1:13)

But in any case, I can safely assume that the human race does not have capacity to appreciate the utterly horrific experience of having the sins of the world put upon the Lord Jesus as He hung in excruciating pain from that Cross ?

We need to :-

1) understand that Jesus did not bring us deliverance from death but deliverance through death

2) realize that because of His fidelity to God’s will in His life that Jesus suffered and died.

3) realize the number of times we fail to glorify God

4) show fidelity to the teachings and examples of Jesus

5) know where do I/we stand before God

6) know that the mocking, scourging, the blood and the nails were all for you and me

• 4 months later...

?1. Faith is a powerful force.

?2. Even thought you may go through some rough patches sticking to your commitment will bring you through to the end with positive out come.

?.3. Love conquers all

?4. Ee should be more forgiving and carrying towards everyone we associate with.

• 5 months later...

This is amazing, truly amazing! I have watched movies and read books on the crucifiction and have always seen the physical pain, but only now do I understand the spiritual pain that Jesus went through. Thank you for revealing it to me Holy Spirit.

I want to have faith like that, I want to trust God that much. That is the example of the type of faith we should have.

Wow, Jesus really loves us, I mean really love us. You hear that Jesus loves you everywhere but we do not really comprehend just how much.

You have to be changed by knowledge like that.

• 1 month later...

The cry of Christ on the cross is fulfillment of Ps.22:1. God placed the sins of the whole world on Jesus.He was carrying the weight/burden of sins of humanity past,present and future. God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us. He became sin for us.. In these painful moments Jesus experienced abandonment of God for a short period. Jesus continued in faith in God,somewhere in the depths of His soul there remained the assurance that God was holding Him. He triumphed over sin and death. We too many times when going through trials,suffering experience that God has abandoned us. We need to have great faith like Jesus had to face the situation courageously and the result would lead us to victory.

The love of Christ was so great despite being forsaken by God,betrayed by disciples,suffering on the cross, He endured the suffering till the end to save the sinners.

My prayer, that I should exhibit the love of Christ towards God and one another.

• 6 months later...

I think that the Forth Word from the cross teaches me about faith. Jesus had faith that the Father was going to take care of him after He had completed what He was sent to earth to do. It teaches me that I should be committed whole heartedly to the Lord. That I should love the Father with agape love. This understanding has me wanting to do the things that Jesus wants me to do.

• 1 year later...

This whole plan required great faith from Jesus. To come down from heaven and live on this earth as a human being, to suffer for 30years the ignorance and unbelief of man, and to die a death on a cross for which there are really no words to describe?  Because this is the plan of your loving father to save all mankind?

It teaches us that faith may require that we walk in some very painful and self crucifying paths, where we might feel that we are all alone, and even our Father God has abandoned us completely.  And yet to cry out to him because we know he loves us and we are his children.

We learn that nothing, regardless of how difficult for us , absolutely nothing, must shift us from our commitment to our God, and that once we have understood the purpose for which he has put us on this earth, we must set our face, ‘like flint’ to serve him.

The crucifixion of self, for the good of others, is the ultimate expression of love. We must be willing to die, in all its senses, so that others may live.

This understanding, from Jesus’ fourth word on the cross, should utterly transform our lives, to the expanding of God’s kingdom, and for the glory of God.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

Q4. (Mark 15:34) What does Jesus' Fourth Word from the cross teach us about faith? About commitment? About love? What effect should this understanding have on our lives?

Jesus' Fourth Word from the cross teaches us that we can have faith in God even when we feel God has forsaken us. God had to forsake Jesus, because of the sins of the world that were upon His Son, Jesus. According to Isaiah 59:2, our sins and iniquities separate us from God. Until the prophecy was fulfilled of Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection, God had to forsake Jesus temporarily. Jesus' Fourth Word teaches us that we should stay committed and faithful to God until death or no matter what. Jesus' Fourth Word teaches us how much God and Jesus loved us that they were willing to allow their relationship and fellowship with each other to be temporarily suspended for mankind.  This understanding should cause us to be faithful, commitment, and love God until our lives on this earth end. Stay faithful until death, and we will receive the crown of life.

• 2 years later...

It shows that Jesus was faithful even to the point of separation from His Father. It is beyond imagination of what Jesus must have felt at that moment. Jesus was Totally committed to The Father's plan. He was also totally committed to us by going through what he suffered. The effect it should have on our lives is that we should display that same amount of commitment to God's plans. God's plans never fails in our lives if we put our faith and trust in him.