JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. It Is Finished (John 19:30)

Jesus had finished and fulfilled His purpose, which was to do the Father's will. The Father's will was the redemption of humanity to Himself by the pardon of sin and restoration of holiness within man. Jesus had faithfully, obediently accomplished what the Father required of Him, and now that task was perfectly completed. In the Son of Man, all Law and prophecy had been fulfilled to the letter. In Him, acceptable atonement had been made to satisfy God's wrath against sin. In Him, righteousness would now defeat death.

This is a somber reminder of what my life should be about as a follower/disciple of Christ. I know that believers have an overall "umbrella" of purpose to live and share the gospel with the world around us. But we also have individual specific purposes of ministry and service that may change through the seasons of a lifetime. May the Lord help me to focus in on my purpose/spiritual giftings, choose to prioritize/make the sacrifices necessary to live that out, and enable me to faithfully accomplish the task.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus has finished His work of being our sacrificial Lamb of God on the altar when He died for us, first choosing us as His own people, and then giving up His life voluntarily for us as His lost sheep, which we aren

• 3 months later...

Greetings,

This is the first lesson that I have replied to immediately after reading, studying...Wow this lesson is full of many questions and wisdom for our daily walks! I make notecards for each lesson, this one is full!

The victory shout---that is why Jesus asked for the drink! Not a whimper of defeat but a shout of victory! I love that statement....so often it is taught to us that He gave up...NO...instead He completed His mission!! Most of us understand this concept at a much, much, much lesser degree of suffering through the time and effort to make a good book report, training for an athletic event, etc....and when we finish oh boy, do we shout and feel the relief and the excitement of accomplishment at the same time!

What we learn in daily lessons, devotions, messaged from our Pastors is looking at what all Jesus taught and did along the way of His ultimate goal...NOT FORGETTING HIS PURPOSE...yet ministering and teaching with every oppportunity possibly available...that teaches me that the focus and endurance are so very critical...

Recently, I have embraced somewhat the words and attitudes of people that are close to me. Telling me that what I do dont really matter...no one really cares...such statements...then throught this lesson the Holy Spirit reminded me that i am to do what I am called to do...till the ground, plant and water the seeds...it is up to God to cause the increase...write all the devotions that come to me and send them out....that is my part...

MOMENTUM......in the prayer...that is what I am pondering today.\

Thank You for this Lesson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q6. (John 19:30) What had Jesus "finished"? What can we learn for our own lives from this Sixth Word: "It is finished"?

John 19:30 - When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

What had Jesus "finished"? Jesus had finished His Father's mission on earth through His obedience to Him. It was not easy as He had to suffer for us and ultimately die for us in order that we can be saved.

What can we learn for our own lives from this Sixth Word: "It is finished"? We must follow Jesus' example and be obedient to Him. Pastor Ralph summarized on how we should live our lives. We are to live lives of purpose, focus and obedience and ultimately be willing to suffer in order to achieve God's purpose for our lives. When my life is over, I hope I can said as stated in 2 Timothy 4:7, I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Q6. (John 19:30) What had Jesus "finished" - what can we learn for our own lives from this Sixth Word: "It is finished"?

Jesus came to redeem unto His God and Father a righteous people, it was through His obedience to Gods call that brought Gods Son to earth, to be made a little lower than the angels, He left the glory of His Father for one reason, so that He could go to the cross, it was only through the second Adam that mankind could be freed from the ruler of this world, taking back dominion that was lost, there was not another person that could have done this except for the Son of God, it is only through Him that the word FINISHED could be spoken, it is His work that was FINISHED!

But it is just the beginning for us, we who through faith believe, are we that people who desire to become a righteous people unto God, giving glory to those wonderful words spoken? it is finished

• 3 months later...

1)jesus had finished bearing the burden of sin. he knew in those last words that he would die but that he had victory as he knew that was not the end but in fact the beginning of restoration with man.

2)ask for forgiveness and leave it there....go and sin no more. dont let jesus' death be for no reason. reconcile and turn

quote name='Pastor Ralph' date='24 March 2009 - 03:29 AM' timestamp='1237822150' post='43622']

Q6. (John 19:30) What had Jesus

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Q6. (John 19:30) What had Jesus “finished”? What can we learn for our own lives from this Sixth Word: “It is finished”?

Jesus "finished" that which the Father had instructed him to do.

"It is finished." We can lean from this Sixth Word of Jesus. We can live lives of purpose, we can live lives of focus, we can live lives of obedience, and we must be willing to suffer to achieve God's purpose.

• 1 month later...

Jesus had 'finished' his ultimate goal - laying down his life on the cross, bearing our sins, and giving us a path connecting us directly to our GOD. He willingly 'gave up' his soul into the hands of His Father to save us all.

We too are here for one ultimate goal - to live lives of purpose, to focus on God and His kingdom, to be obedient to God's word, and lastly, be willing to suffer any type of hardships to achieve God's purpose for our lives.

Ultimately we want to also be able to conclude: "It is finished.", we have finished God's purpose for us here on earth. We want to be welcomed into Heaven by His words: "Well done, good and faithful servant . . . enter into the joy of your master." We want to have lived a life pleasing to God so that we are able to live in our God's presence for eternity.

Thank you for your work to further God's kingdom by providing these inciteful, informative, wonderful lessons so that we all have a source to access God's word. I have learned a lot and especially like to read the comments of fellow participants giving me many different perspectives on the subject. I am growing in the Lord daily thanks to each and every one of you. May God bless you all!

Jesus had finished the purpose He was given to do. He completed the purpose in His life. That's why He came.

We are to learn from this, that we also, have been given a purpose and we are to fulfill that in our lifetime. We need to be in close relationship with our Father and do as He directs. I like the thought mentioned in the study, that we can become scattered in this. Sometimes we confuse our God given purposes with what "people" think we should be doing. This can really lead us astray and into chaos, confusion and weariness. We need to seek God every day on what He would have us do and we need to stand firm in the face of others who think we should be doing things we aren't called to do!

Q6. (John 19:30) What had Jesus "finished"? What can we learn for our own lives from this Sixth Word: "It is finished"?

Jesus had completed the task that God had sent Him to accomplish. He had willingly and obediently paid the price for our sin and restored our relationship with the Father.

Jesus' life is an example of submission to the Father's will. By living purposeful lives, seeking and submitting to God's will, and striving to be Christlike in our behavior toward others, we may also hear His words, "Well done!" - Then, we too will be able to say, "It is finished."

Q6. (John 19:30) What had Jesus “finished”?

Jesus had finished everything! From the time of the fall of mankind and the rebellion of Satan, creation has been flawed. God had to institute a plan to make things good again. For whatever reason He decided to take His time doing that. From all we read of Scripture we see that God works things out in His own good time. The old 1000 years are like unto a single day to God applies here. Jesus had a mission, the full scope of which we can scarcely comprehend. Satan knew this too. He tried his best to tempt Jesus away from even starting His three year mission.

Jesus's task was to reconcile creation with the Creator, nothing less. By His first coming Jesus took upon Himself the sin of the world and defeated Satan, God's implacable enemy. His second coming, and His victories in all the battles and wars that will occur before and after that, depending on what you believe will be the order of things prophesied in Revelation and elsewhere, are made possible by Jesus's death and resurrection.

By dying on the cross and rising again from death Jesus defeated all God's enemies, all the powers and principalities arrayed against God. All that's left now is for things to unfold in God's timetable. Everything was made possible by Jesus's death and resurrection. Everything. Death and hell are defeated. Mankind, and indeed all creation have been redeemed. The New Heaven and New Earth are all going to happen because Jesus defeated God's enemies on the cross.

What can we learn for our own lives from this Sixth Word: “It is finished”?

We need to make our lives count. We need to live according to God's will and plan for us. To accomplish this we need to live prayerful lives in order to learn God's will and purpose for each and every one of us.

• 9 months later...

Q6. (John 19:30) What had Jesus �finished�? What can we learn for our own lives from this Sixth Word: �It is finished�?

Jesus had finished His mission here on earth which was to spread the word of the Kingdom of His Father and to be a Sacrificial Lamb for the sins of all mankind. No matter what God commanded of Him He did it, no matter what the cost to Him, even to the point of torture, He obeyed His Father. He finished the work He was sent to do, until full completion! Jesus was no quitter! His cry of "It is finished" was a loud , triumphant cry, not the cry of a defeated man nailed to a cross!

We too, must continue on, with our commitment to God. God never promised it would be an easy, carefree life. No, not at all, but His promise is that whatever we endure we are to look to Him for comfort And He will give us strength. He will always make provisions for us if we seek Him earnestly. We too, must follow God's plan. No matter how difficult or how discouraged we are, our faith should always lead us towards God, away from Him. He is our Faithful Father, our Redeemer, our Protector in times of trouble as well in times of goodness.We must run the good race, face all the obstacles and never ,ever falter in our faith, for Our Father will deliver us! We must live a life of FULL devotion to our Father. Our lives here on earth should not be without purpose.

• 1 month later...

Q6. (John 19:30) What had Jesus finished?

Jesus had accomplished the full obedience to the will of the Father.

What can we learn for our own lives from this Sixth Word: It is finished?

We are to live life of purpose, knowing the will of God for our lives and maximize our life with God's will. We must

focus on specific priorities so that we do what moves us toward completing the will of God. We must continuously

seek to live in obedience to God and we must be willing to suffer to achieve God's purpose for our lives

• 2 weeks later...

What hit home for me was the prayer at the end. I need to be corralled by God, in order to more fully focused on what His plans are for me. My life has gone is so many different directions over the years. It is my desire to finish well, so that I can hear those awesome words of ..."good and faithful servant..."

Q6. (John 19:30) What had Jesus �finished�? What can we learn for our own lives from this Sixth Word: �It is finished�?

6.a. Jesus had finished his purpose here on the earth. He came to fulfill the will of the Father. He came to die on the cross and shed his blood for our sins. He was obedient, even unto death. "It is finished".

b. We can learn from this Sixth Word for our own lives. We should live purposeful lives for God, using the gifts He has given us, with focus (not scatterbrained), with obedience and then we can say with a victory shout...."It is finished", following Jesus, our example. Even be willing to suffer for the sake of Christ.