JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. It Is Finished (John 19:30)

Q6. (John 19:30) What had Jesus "finished"? What can we learn for our own lives from this Sixth Word: "It is finished"?

Jesus finished God's plan for redemption through His work on the cross.

God has a plan for all of us and He will complete it. We are to remain faithful and obedient to HIm.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q6. (John 19:30) What had Jesus �finished�? What can we learn for our own lives from this Sixth Word: �It is finished�?          

In this  verse Jesus stated that he finished what purpose God the Father had given him to do.  See John 1:29; Luke 19:10; Mark 10:45; I Timothy 1:15; 1 John 3:5; and 1 John 3:8.

Likewise, this SIxth Word of Jesus from the cross should inspire and teach us, Christians, that what is essential and most important for us to find our purpose from God; focus on that purpose; be obedient to God; and be willing to suffer to achieve God's purpose.  Jesus is The Way, The Truth, and the Life.  He modeled for the world what it means to be a complete human-being.  He modeled the ideal relationship with God and with other human-beings.  We should be Christ-like and follow Jesus' model.  Our life should be a God purpose driven life.

• 5 months later...

Jesus last words on the cross "It is finished" tells us the mission he came to earth to do is finished.  It is done.  In our own lives we should firstly begin something and see it through to the end so we too can say it is finished.  We must live and be obedient to God.  God has a plan for us.  Although we have free choice the plan is there.  We must figure out what He wants us to do and start the journey and then when the end comes for us we can say "It is finished."

• 11 months later...

Jesus "finished" the work that His Father had commissioned Him to do. He came to earth, He taught, He healed and He transformed people. Then He was crucified and died for our sins. He came to save us and to open the gates to us by salvation and forgivness.

Unlike Jesus, I find that I am very scattered in my thoughts and deeds. I find myself wasting time on things that bring no purpose or even satisfaction to my life. I find that I need to try and focus more on the paths that will fulfill God's purpose for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Q6. (John 19:30) What had Jesus �finished�? What can we learn for our own lives from this Sixth Word: �It is finished�?

What Jesus had finished was the fulfillment of what the father had sent him to accomplish.

What we can learn for our lives in Jesus 6th word "it is finished", is that we live our lives for Christ and we are willing to do what ever the Lord has purposed to do in our lives. Then we can say "it is finished", we have done what the Lord wanted us to do.    

• 1 month later...

What had Jesus "finished"?

Jesus had finished his purpose here on the earth. He came to fulfill the will of the Father. He came to die on the cross and shed his blood for our sins. He was obedient, even unto death.

What can we learn for our own lives from this Sixth Word: "It is finished"?

We can learn from this Sixth Word for our own lives that we should live purposeful lives for God; use the gifts He has given us; with focus (not scatter-shot), with obedience and then we can say with a victory shout...."It is finished". We must be willing to suffer to achieve God's purpose for our lives.

(John 19:30) What had Jesus �finished�? What can we learn for our own lives from this Sixth Word: �It is finished�?    

• Jesus had finished his purpose here on earth and his obedience to God by dying on the cross to save us from our sins.    
  •  We can learn for our own lives that we are to live our lives of purpose, focus, obedience and be willing to suffer to achieve God's purpose.

Jesus completed the job He was given by the Father, that's to endure all the cruelty and eventually death for all of our sins. As a human at the time of taking on all our sins, we should be very grateful and would do everything we can to live for Jesus. He already took on the hardest part for us, now we should give our lives completely to live doing God's will and not our own. Thank you Lord Jesus, give me the strength daily to do your will. AMEN!

• 11 months later...

Jesus finished the purpose for which he was sent by God the father. To redeem the mankind from sin unto salvation for which he offered himself as an atoning,perfect sacrifice. When Jesus spoke these words, he was declaring that the debt owed to his father was paid in full and forever. The debt of sin owed by mankind was paid by Jesus on the cross.

Jesus had glorified father while on earth "finished the work you have given me to do" Jesus work was to seek and save that which was lost. To provide atonement for the sins of all who believe in Him. To reconcile man with God. Jesus fulfilled all the OT prophesies at the cross. Jesus obeyed God the father and accomplished God's perfect will. The finished work on the cross to give new life,salvation to all.

God has put us on this earth for a purpose and to accomplish His perfect will. We should be ever willing and faithful for the works of God through all situations,sufferings and persecutions and bring glory to God.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Jesus had been sent to earth by his father, God, on a special mission: which was to save his people from their sins. Jesus had then completed this mission.

We can learn many things:

1. That like Jesus we too are born into this world for a special purpose. 

2. As soon as possible we should seek to find out what that purpose is.

3. We should then focus on our purpose and not allow ourselves to deviate from our course through the attractions that are in this world.

4. Even when things become difficult we must stay on course and see it through to the end.

• 11 months later...

Q6. John 19:30  What had Jesus "finished"'?

Greetings,  He had finally done the work of his Father.  Whether he wanted to or not, the trials, the cruelty of man, the reality that we as a people really needed Jesus to go through this for US.  Do I live for a purpose, I thought I did until I read this. I must readjust, get step with the Holy Spirit in my daily walk with Jesus. Strive to be more pleasing to him, more forgiving.  I must pick up my cross and present myself as a person like Jesus.  His servant. His faithful servant, so that one day He can say well done my good and faithful servant.

Pat

• 3 years later...

Jesus gave his life for this world so we can have eternal life. We can learn from Jesus that we need to fulfill the destiny that God has for our lives. We need to be obedient to the Lord in whatever he is asking us to do because there are other lives depending on the gifts he has placed inside us. We want to finish our race just like Jesus did.

• 1 year later...

Jesus accomplished a cry of victory. He completed (teleo) the Scriptures there were prophecy over thousands of years ago. he had been in obedience to the will of the Father, drank from the cup and baptism completed.

We to as believers must be willing to suffer to achieved God's purpose. 

Luke 9:23 "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. (24) For "whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.

• 9 months later...

Q6. (John 19:30) What had Jesus "finished"?

ANSWER: Jesus had finished:

1. The long night of His suffering. He was plunged into indescribable suffering, but He was not overcome by it. He came through it and he triumphed in it.
  2. The full course of His obedience. Jesus’ perfect life of obedience was now complete and He was about to lay it down, so He said, “It is finished.” 
  3. The decisive battle with His enemy. God’s promise in Eden is precisely what happened at the cross. In Christ’s death, He breaks the devil’s power.
  4. The complete work of His atonement. Jesus came to seek and save the lost. He came to give His life as a ransom for many, and on the cross He says, “It is finished.” He has borne the guilt of our sins.

ANSWER: On the cross, Jesus took upon himself the thirst of alienation from God and the poison of death. He drank the bitter cup of the Father’s wrath against sin so that we might be spared it.

• 1 month later...

Q6. (John 19:30)

What had Jesus "finished"?

Jesus was sent by FATHER GOD for a specific purpose and this was accomplished by the words "it is finished".

GOD has put us on earth with a purpose, that we have to purpose driven focus on. 

We have to be obedience in our task to fulfil GOD's purpose in our lives even if we have to suffer..