JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Christian Fellowship

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7) Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level? How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ? What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

I've often had conversations with other Christians who don't seem to have Jesus as the center of their life...Lordship. From their conversation, I can tell that the world is more important to them. I think that if the two people have the same worldview and love of the Lord, true Christian fellowship does occur. In the Bible studies that I teach I have several motives--to win them to Christ, and to disciple them toward a strong commitment to the Lord. GOD has blessed every group I have led and they grow and yearn for more of Him. I think every teacher or mentor or friend should guide every person to a committed life in the LORD.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7) Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level? How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ? What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

I beleive that people have trust issues. They either been hurt or missused. They limit their conversation with other in fear that what they might say could get misinturpeted. We have to pray and seek guidence for God to direct us to the right people so we can slowly begain to trust again.

I think we only allow ourselves to show other christians what we want them to see. We don't want to show them that we aren't Spitually filled and how sometimes we don't spend as much time as we say we do studing God's word. In the past three years, I've just came back into God's word. It is a much harder struggle now. I find myself wanting to know more and I'm reading the Bible everyday. When there is something I'm struggling with I continually ask God for guidence. As CHristians, we need to pray for eachother everyday and offer support. When one believer has doubts in a group relationship, the others need to stand strong and allow God to show them they have nothing to fear if they cast all their needs on Him.

Often we try to go beyond the surface level only to hit a barrier that someone puts up which says "you may go no further." Those barriers can be caused by fear or by pain from being hurt in the past. The enemy uses every tactic possible to keep us from experiencing koinonia, including busy schedules and other distractions, fear, distrust, mistaken narratives (e.g. "no one wants to know about me..."), etc.

To take relationships to a deeper level, as simplistic as the answer may sound, we need to just keep on trying...understanding that to take a risk sometimes means failure, but without the risk there is no success. To add a simple answer to a simple answer, I think we need to start with prayer, prayer that the Lord would put people in our lives with home we can share the close, deeper-than-surface relationships and then look to Him to provide those people in our lives.

I think that in my circle of relationships, it would take several things to go deeper. First prayer, that God would provide those people or confirm any that I already have a surface relationship with...and that He would provide the courage and opportunities to go deeper. Next, building the time into my busy schedule to allow those relationships to grow deeper...purposefully scheduling time with those friends. Then taking the risk at going deeper.

Deep relationships described as koinonia involve a level of intimacy. I've heard that described as into-me-see.

Our fellowship is so very often at a surface level because we don't trust one another to move to the next level where we can do as James said and that is to confess our sins to one another and pray for each other so that we may be healed. When we can get 'real' enough with each other to confess to one another, to pray over our sins, to cry over our failures together then we will move beyond the surface level and mature together.

We not walk in love as we are commanded to do. Inorder to have this kind of fellowship with fellow believers we have to have it with God through Jesus christ. We are a family and a family care for each other at least we are suppose to. I often wonder when we go back to our separate homes do we think, talk or even pray for each other. We have a bond and that bond is Jesus.

So many times, we come together ln worship. We celebrate with each other at church. At the end of the service we go our separate ways, not to see or share with each other until the following. We do what we bekieve is required of us and no more.

We need to share our faith on a daily basis Find a group that wants to share their walk in faith. A group that can challenge each other and hold each other responsible. We need to dive into Scripture and saeek to understand its' relevance for my life and my walk. We need tp steer away from the immorality of th world we live in and live the life that jesus calls us to.

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7)

Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level?

Christians in general have lost the meaning of love. They live in relationship with one another but not in fellowship. Probably its because Christians are unable to face the cost of love.

How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ?

Fellowship at a deeper level can come through only when we are detached not physically but in our attitudes from the worries of the world. Just as Jesus affirmed that I take care of the details of my creation wouldn't I take care of you. Leaving these worries to God will be a relief for the Christians to proceed further in fellowshipping. This does not mean to leave our jobs and earnings but use all that is ours towards fellowship.

What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

Basically fellowship is living a common life as we see in the early church. But to live such a life we need to prove to others that we are trustworthy. Instead of waiting for others to accept us we need make efforts to make others trust your good intention so that our fellowship with others can be meaningful, fruitful and a living witness to Christ and his love.

So often fellowship is on the surface b/c we do not trust or honor one another....often times in church we open up and then what we share b/c a topic of conversation or gossip. We need the fellowship of other Christians in order to stay grounded in our faith and it is wonderful when you find other believers you can fellowship with and trust who will love you as Christ did. Do do so we need to stay in the Word, seek to hear from Him about any decisions we make....having fellowship with those who love and pray for one another, will build our relationships....ie fellowship...

B/C I am married to a wonderful man but who is not walking or believing what I do Christian fellowship and being connected in my church is essential for me to really stay focused on what the Holy Spirit wants of me. I just returned from a mission trip to southeast Asia a very hard trip and since I returned I have been ill and missed church alot...I would never ever believe that I could feel distant from my walk but I found myself watching more tv and just focusing more on the flesh.... I need my fellowship and my church...

Seems sometimes Christians attend church, fellowship in churh among fellow Christians returning to their daily routine in the home or work place leaving behind their Christian fellowship until the next meeting. Not taking time to testify or share beliefs with other believers outside the church. More or less enjoying the comfort zone of fellowship inside the confines of the church. Prayer is always the answer to any situation, especially when it comes to having a closer relationship with Christ, and living "Christ-like." In my daily routine I pray "Father God share your spirit with me as you see fit and let me be a blessing to someone today" Get serious about your relationship with God and seek out fellow Christians outside the group for support and share testimonies and encourage others to be strong in Christ.

I wish we could all say that we have a deep relationship with our church families. Everyone seems to be in a hurry. A lot of churches any more only have one service a week and thats in the morning. No seems to hang around anymore to visit after service

or just to check in with a sister or brother who may be going thru a tough time. I am blessed to go to a church that has three services a wk. Wed. is bible study and prayer night.Some of us get together on friday for "game night" we all bring food and snacks and have a great time. Now I have to honestly say we usually play with the same people.

I know most of them but couldn't tell you where some of them work what thier days are like.Where they need encouragement and prayer. Which is a shame.

In order to be Christ like and to have the relationship He had and has with His followers we have to study his word follow His lead in our marriages at home at work and learn to heed heed His voice when He is telling us someone is hurting. And TAKE THE TIME to get to know our brothers and sisters and not be afraid to slow down and really get to know one another as Jesus would.

I hope everyone has a blessed day. :D

Well, the apostle Paul wrote many times about believing so deeply that we become one body in Christ.

I think that John means something like that too.

We just do not care about other people as if they were our own flesh.

Besides this, many christians are hypocrite and only pretend to be christians so they can burn non-christians to the ground.

In the Body, they are the limb with gangreen...

Guess we have to pray that the Spirit helps us in this.

Some of the things that seem to have brought our small group closer in Christ as we become closer as Christians are: Bible study that is demanding; Prayers that are real, risky, and Word driven; Non-judgmental, non-critical attitudes toward the members as they reveal their situations; Regularity in coming together in person and by phone and email for assurances of prayer and praise reports.

I'm not saying we're there yet, but we're in a much closer situation that I could have ever imagined, and seeing God working with us has been delightful, making the demanding commitment well worth it.

According to First Corinthians 1:9 all believers are called to fellowship. In the Book of Philippians it also tells us there is joy in serving Christ. When we are in fellowship with God and our fellow believers there is joy in the heart. Circles of fellowship are where we circulate. Each of us has different circles of friends, family, and fellowship. Some of those circles are close circles of fellowship. Others are not so close in fellowship. The more things that we have in common the closer our fellowship will be. This can be especially true regarding things that we feel are important to us.

It is also important in forgiveness. We must exercise this toward ourselves and toward others. When we properly confess (and forsake) our sin, we are forgiven by God. If God accepts us, then we must learn to accept ourselves. If God forgives those who sin against us, we must learn to forgive them as well according to the teaching given in the Lord

We tend to hide the true us from others, but if we where living the life the Lord has for us we would gladly live and share who we are.

Fellowship is a wonderful builder of confidence and friendship, the holy spirit uses our time with each other to engourage and strengthen.

I have taken the risk and shared with the women of my church at our bible study. I know it shocked most of them. I have only been a member of our church for two years. At the time I had only been in the church for 1 year. There was a time in my walk with the Lord that I could never have done that, the shame would have been far too great. But that's not so anymore. His forgiveness and love are what I am left with after I face the shame of sin before his throne.

I feel that when we fail to share on a deep intimate level we can not truly pray for each others needs. We are also not confessing our sins to each other as we are commanded to do. We are also unable to share in the joy of God working in our lives to relieve us of burdens and sins; encouragement that we all need in our walk. We are missing so much by not doing this: love, shared burdens, prayerful support, encouragement, wisdom, and guidance.

I would like to say it is the way our society is but I think it is more a heart issue. As I read the gospels it seems to me there was the same issue there and then. Some were deeply devoted to God and others did to look good or it was the thing to do. Some came back to thank Jesus for being healed and others didn't.

To have fellowship at a deeper level I think we need to devote some time. Time asking Jesus to help us have the desire, time spent in prayer, time spent in the Word, time confessing as we see the utter depravity in our own heart and our utter helplessness to save ourselves. We need to practice what the Bible says "Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in love". Romans 12:10 NAS. I think a servant's heart is needed for deeper fellowship.

The trust issue in groups is important and being willing to take some risks for Christ. Chances are there are some in there who desire or struggle with the same things as we do.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

I think that we, as Christians, should start seeing our fellow Christians as our true family.

We should treat our Christian bretheren as family not just as aquaintances but close relatives whom we love. I think this is hard to do as we don't spend the time with them that we do with our own earthly relatives. We don't have the history with them. But in the Lord's Kingdom, we do have a history together, we belong to Christ Jesus and each one of us are His children so therefore, we are very much related in the Spirit which makes us all in the family of God which will last forever. We may have our earthly family and friends but not all of them are in God's Kingdom and unfortunately some may never be born again into His Kingdom.

We need to ask the Holy Spirit to stir in our hearts the agape love for our brothers and sisters in Christ. We need to get to the point where our Christian friends should be treated more like family and most of us would do anything for our family members if we can. :D We need to act on our beliefs. Love is an action as well as a heart feeling.

Just my thoughts,

sassyblue8

PS Hi family! Have a good Sunday and a very nice week. :)

Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level? How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ? What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

When we say we love Christ, then out of that love we spend time with him, reading his word, praying, worshiping both in song and with our lives. Through this our minds are renewed and our desires become focused in line with God's will. Our life, our passion is to live for Christ, to do his will over our own, when we meet others with that same passion we are excited and encouraged because of our shared interest.

I agree with many of you, that our relationships are so often on the surface because we fear rejection, being hurt. I agree that we need to remember that we are "deeply loved" by God, and to be geniune with others. Living to please God instead of others.

"... But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another...." (1:7)

I think John writes this both as an encouragement and as a warning. You cannot have true fellowship with someone who does not have fellowship with the Lord. You will however, be filled with joy at having fellowship with others who live for Christ.

I think our relationships with other believers deepens when we choose to serve them, know them, see their needs and try to help. Through prayer and discernment, we know where the resources of time and money that the Lord has entrusted us with should be spent. Building up his church.

My walk with other Christians started like that, But as we got to know each other,at my Church bible study, I have found we are more at ease with each other. We have learned to trust and open up our Hearts and minds. We have also found it easier to get to a deeper level. Yes we are like a family. That is the answer. I agree completely with what Sassblue8 has to say.

As I thought about this question, the thought came to my mind if this would be a meaninful question in the early church where persecution and hardship brought the early Chistians together. I sincerely doubt if these Christians had only a "surface level" relationship. I wonder if this is a meaninful question in parts of our world today where persecution continues. Are we now living in a day and time where we are beginning to feel the persecution all around us much more strongly and will need to live out "a closer relationship" for strength and survival?

MY GOAL WHEN I BECAME A BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN HAS ALWAYS BEEN TO BECOME MORE CHRISTLIKE.HOWEVER, I HAVE BEEN AFRAID TO BE TRANSPARENT IN CHURCH AT TIMES FOR FEAR OF BEING REJECTED, CONDEMNED OR CRITICISED.SO, I FELLOWSHIP WITH PEOPLE ON THE SURFACE LEVEL BUT KEEP THEM AT A DISTANCE.PERSONALLY, I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO HAVE FELLOWSHIP AT A DEEPER LEVEL BUT I STRUGGLE WITH TRUSTING SOME CHURCH FOLKS.BUT AT TIMES I GET SO TIRED OF PRETENDING, I JUST WANT TO TAKE THE MASK OFF AND BE REAL.THAT'S SO HARD TO DO NOWADAYS SINCE I WANT THE APPROVAL OF OTHERS, BUT UNTIL I AM REALLY TRANSPARENT, I AM IN BONDAGE; I'M NOT FREE TO BE ME.TO HAVE DEEPER CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP THAT IS TRULY AUTHENTIC, WE WOULD HAVE TO RISK BEING HONEST IN SPITE OF THE SHAME OR REJECTION WE MAY FACE AS WE DO SO..GOD BLESS.