JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Christian Fellowship

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7)

Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level?

How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ?

What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

We have superficial fellowship with other Christians because of our shallow relationship with Jesus. Sin separates us from God and our Lord Jesus. We say that we are God's people but continue to live in sin and our lives are set against God because of a heart filled with hatred and a will inclined to disobedience. Sin not only alienates man from God but also from our fellow Christians. It disrupts life and fosters confusion. Instead of peace, there is discord; in place of harmony, there is disorder; and in lieu of fellowship, there is enmity. So now it follows that in order for us to be in fellowship with God, there can be no hiding of sin. Light and darkness cannot exist in a person's life at the same time; if we walk in darkness, we are not in fellowship with God or with our fellow Christians. On the other hand, if we walk in the light, then we can have fellowship with the Lord Jesus and with our fellow Christians. It is then that we experience the grace of Christ dispelling darkness and flooding us with the light of God. To have fellowship with God is to live a life of holiness in his sacred presence.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7) Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level? How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ? What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

We have not buried the "old man" and hang onto it and that separates us from God. Seek a deeper relationship with Christ. Allow His love to fill us on a minute by minute basis.

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7) Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level? How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ? What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

I learn from experience that deeper level of fellowship will be happened if we ourselves have personal fellowship with Jesus and Father and Spirit who shows us the true fellowship within them and with us. As human being that born in sinful nature, we will not able to conduct true fellowship (then our fellowship will be only in surface level, just as social fellowship); sometimes the fellowship is based on trust. However, when we experience true fellowship with God Trinity, then we understand that unconditional love of God is the foundation of the fellowship, trust will come later on. Apostle John strongly encourage christians to love other fellow christians. For me, I would give priority on love than trust to develop fellowship with other brothers. Help me Holy Spirit to do that thoughout my life...

I believe that our fellowship with other Christians is often on a surface level, from my own experience, is that we (or i) do not fully understand what "fellowship" with one another should be. For years, i went to church on Sunday, Wednesday night go to Bible study and thats that. But John writes a deeper fellowship than that. And also i think it has alot to do with walking in darkness instead of walking in the light.

We can have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ through prayer, spending more time with one another, growing in Christ, and of course spending much more time in the Bible!

And for the last part of question 1, i believe that if we continually read the Word, and spend more time with God, He will definitely strengthen and deepen our level of fellowship with one another. Living out our faith together will aid in this as well.

John writes about having fellowship with other believers. There are three principles behind true Christian fellowship: First, our fellowship is grounded in the testimony of God

The reason why our fellowship with fellow believers is so often just on a surface level is because often the only time we have contact with other Christians is in church, or during church activities. We can have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ by getting together with other believers outside of church to study the Bible together and to pray for one another. Getting together with other Christians to study the Bible together and to pray for one another would deepen my level of fellowship. Also when going out for lunch after sunday service,we could discuss the sermon and what we got out of it,how we could apply the message to our lives during the week.

1. It's hard for some people to make new frie

2. Having our small groups visit small chruches

3. I myself have to be more open

1. We are usually looking at our fellow Christians in a worldly way and it is hard to relate in a Christian way.

2. We should begin by reading and studying the Word of God and work on reaching a deeper level in Christ ourselves.

3. We should get together and pray for understanding of each other and proceed to study the Word.

Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often on a surface level?

I believe fellowship with other Christians is often on a surface-level, because we often pretend with one another, wanting fellow believers in Christ to know only what we think are our "good" qualities, and trying to cover our sins and flaws, sometimes even deceiving ourselves into thinking that we can hide these sins from God.

How can we have a fellowship at a deeper level in Christ?

To have a deeper relationship with fellow Christians in Christ, we all have to be honest to one another about who we really are, and when fellow Christians are honest about their shortcomings with us, we should love and accept them in Christ, and recognize that they are a work in progress, gradually becoming more like Christ over time; realize it is not an overnight thing. Honesty and acceptance/love in Christ is what makes the fellowship unique.

Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level?

Maybe we are more focused on ourselves and our inadequacies and our faults and shortcomings and also on our fellow Christian and their shortcomings, than we are on Jesus Christ. Perhaps we are afraid of rejection or misunderstanding or not being reciprocated in our desire to pour out our hearts to another and in extending our friendship.

How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ?

By getting past our fears and training our minds to be focused on Jesus Christ.

What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

Getting rid of or overcoming the fear of what others may think of what I say or do. The more real I become with God .. The more real I become with myself and the more real I am able to become with others.

*Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level?

I feel that many Christians have yet to learn what Jesus meant when He would speak of "fellowship." Sometimes in our past before coming to know the Lord, we didn't trust people in general and this has carried on into our life with the Lord. Jesus needs to break that and the Christian needs to learn to trust the Lord first then we can trust others.

*How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ?

We can only have this "deeper level" of fellowship when we as Christian come to know Christ truely and trust Him. Then we will put down our guard and let others into our lives and our fellowship will get "deeper."

*What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

Follow the Word of God. Trust Jesus. Live by what the Word tells us and not how the world would wants to act. Let it be you, the real you who fellowships. We need to encourage one another more often to a deeper level of fellowship and build on a Godly relationship(s).

Q. Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level?

A. Often times a fellow christian has proven that he/she can't be trusted. Then again they talk the talk , but don't do as they say. Say one thing do another. When I am talking with another Christian at times I don't feel a spiritual connection. I don't often feel comfortable with them. These are reasons that keep me from having more than a surface fellowship with some Christians.

Q. How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ?

A. By spending time getting to know and trust these christians. Doing a Bible study with them. Letting the love of christ show through our hearts. We shouldn't not be around the Christians that we have a surface fellowship; we should always strive to help develop a deeper fellowship with God by sharing love with those we see every day. These are the ways in which we can deepen our fellowship with other Christians.

I believe it's a matter of learning to be real with other christians-letting you guard down. Be able to step out on a limb and trust each other. God's love can only shine forth if we allow it to. It takes prayer and faith, and it can be done.

First of all sorry for lack of participation I have had flu bug and was on vacation when this started. So I have a lot of catching up to do.

In terms of surface level interaction. I agree some level of it is cultural. We live in a society where relationships are more and more quick and superficial. It takes some building trust and willingness to open up. It really takes our walking in genuine response of love with one another. We do not trust loving response so often likely to keep things at surface level. Any group to grow is going to need to exhibit genuine loving response. Loving God with whole self and loving others is needed to be seen and felt.

• 2 weeks later...

While there are some who will trully express themselves, most will only state the safe response in a group setting. Discussing a topic and "going with the flow" on the response. When speaking on a deeper level we need to be open and honest and not be afraid to discuss what God wants for us, and use Bible scripture to show our point. In our studies we need to ask more questions and give a Biblical response rather than what we think should be the response.

We often prefer to remain in our comfort zones, because it so comfortable and easy to do. It is a lazy kind of Christianity that depends on the Minister or other leading members of the Church and fellowship groups to do the work.In the process, we do not confront our own shortcomings, our failures, our sinful ways even, and remain superficial and powerless in our Christian growth. We need to open ourselves up for scrutiny and risk having our lives being observed under a microscope. Very often we avoid to confront our own failures by remaining on the surface in our relationships, never allowing anyone in, including the True Light of the world. We must not hide behind our masks, but rather, should come out into the open and live honestly, without any form of pretence shielding us from true fellowship. Also, we must be prepared to do GOD's work. Working together as a group of believers, in the Church or Church sponsored charitable activity builds a bond of fellowship that cannot be achieved by merely sitting and doing Bible Studies; as important and vital as that may be. So in summary I would say, that we need to be honest with each other, entrust our lives totally to GOD and the fellowship of believers and to do GOD's work together as a fellowship.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that many times we are not as honest in our relationship /fellowship with other believers because we feel like we will be judged, so we keep things on the surface....even as Christians we fear being hurt. We can fellowship at a deeper level when we remember that we are in love with Christ and REALLY WANT to do His will. It takes letting down our guard and letting Christ be the center...not me....

we claim interet in the members of the community but are reluctant to discuss our frailities. we rather keep our skeletons in the closet. we must ask the Holy Spirit for courage. we must increase our familarity to the Word as we develop a stronger faith walk and not be afraid or shameful as we share our missteps. we have all fallen short of the glory of God and none of us came to Christ squeekie clean. deepening spiritual fellowship with others helps strengthen the community of believers.

Phil 2 talks about having the attitude of Christ. Only as we immerse ourselves in Jesus, letting Him be paramount in our lives and living out His instructions will we be able to have authentic Christian fellowship with our brothers and sisters in Christ.

While we live unsurrendered to Christ, all our relationships will be superficial and all about me instead of the One who gave His all for us.

God's one desire is for fellowship with us. As He walked in the Garden of Eden and fellowshipped with Adam and Eve, so too does He want that relationship with us.

I think it is so often on surface level because we don't have a close association, a mutual acceptance of and submission to the verities of Christian faith. We can have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ by sharing in personal knowledge of and heart felt obedience to God through Jesus Christ. I think for me, I would like to help everyone to get ahold of who God is. To help them receive what I have so they can have the fellowship that I have with Christ. To help them realize who they are in Christ. To help them to see that they can take God at His word, that we have continual cleansing through the blood of Jesus Christ so we can have intimate fellowship with Christ. Those who have fellowship with God experience God's grace and live a life of holiness in the presence of God.

I believe that we often do not understand the outcome of our own actions, we must practice it with Love

• 4 months later...

Each of us has a responsibility for what we want, in John 1:38 Jesus said "...what do you want?" So I say, I desire to know and feel more his love so I can share it. This requires discipleship and prayer and meditation and fasting. So what do we want in our Christian group gathering? If we want something less that superficial chitchat, we know what to do... ask God to make it happen, pray for individual members of the group so God will show us how to be with them when we meet, also t pray befog we meet or talk to such people. Real fellow ship means real relationships and that requires an investment of time and of thee heart. there is no substitute to sincerity and loving attention when we seek deeper meaning in our relationships with anyoine. Praise God for this and pray that such will happen for all who study this lesson.