JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Purifying Hope

2a)We have a christian hope and expectation that Jesus will come again and we want to be ready.For we know that when he appears (phaneroō), (those who believe)we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is."1John 3:2b.He will come without warning,when we least expect him,and he will hold us all to account to judge our thoughts and actions.The blessed hope -- the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ." (Titus 2:13).Jesus blood has covered sin,the blood from his one death that is for us all.His bodily resurrection released the grip of sin and death,.My motivation to live in ways pleasing to God,is in gratitude for what Jesus has achieved for us,He has set us free.and knowing He is pure, living in right ways with Christ's help, will result in us avoiding undue suffering caused by sinful actions.

b)We cannot purify ourselves from sin,from the fall it is now in us,in our thoughts and actions,but we can try our best to cleanup how we live,keep a short account,seeking God’s help to do this,our part in the sanctification process. It is only by God’s grace that I’m here, through the blood of Jesus that we are fully cleansed and purified from sin and able to approach the Father in prayer. Thankfully the loving cleansing power of Jesus is ongoing as daily we ask for His help to repent and turn away from of our sinful thoughts and actions. 

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we live with the expectation that Jesus' return is imminent, then we will live our lives in preparation for that moment. We will live an obedient life with a true love and zeal for the Lord.We are purified by God's grace because it is His grace that allows us an infinite number of second chances as long as we have a repentant heart.

• 1 year later...

In what way does our expectation of Christ's Second Coming motivate us to purify ourselves from sin? How does purifying ourselves from sin relate to God's grace?

I want to be ready when Christ returns.  I want to be prepared and clean and living in anticipation.  I pray every day for forgiveness and cleansing so that if today is the day, I will be clean and forgiven when He comes back.

It is so easy to become lax about living for Him and using what He has given me for the sake of the Kingdom.  I have so far to go.

I have no hope of cleansing myself of sin.   God must do that.   But the Bible says so much about righteous living, that obviously I have a part to play in repenting and turning away from sin DAILY.

• 9 months later...

In what way does our expectation of Christ's Second Coming motivate us to purify ourselves from sin?

The fact that we know Christ is coming back and that all will be judged, one way or the other is quite a motivation and the fact that we don’t know from one second to the next when it will be is a motivation to keep oneself pure.

How does purifying ourselves from sin relate to God's grace?

In the sense that, as we are expected to repent and seek forgiveness for sin, God knows that we are not perfect and it is His grace which fills the gap.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (1 John 2:28; 3:2-3) 
In what way does our expectation of Christ's Second Coming motivate us to purify ourselves from sin? 

When we see Christ, we will be made perfect and complete - we will be like Him. Just to think that we will be in the very presence of God! I feel this alone is sufficient motivation for us to purify ourselves. If we are to keep our selves pure we have to remain free from the corruption of sin. As believers, the hope of the imminent return of Christ, has a sanctifying influence on our lives – we don’t want to be doing anything wrong before our Lord Jesus returns.
We know we have been purified by God’s grace, but in our trying to imitate our Lord Jesus we will try to live as clean and pure life as possible - of course we will not always succeed, but at least we are trying, and repenting when we do fail. We must remember that we are God’s children and this alone is a guarantee of future glory – free from the possibility of sin, sickness, sorrow, and death. It is only by the grace of God that He freed us from sin through the blood of Jesus on the Cross. We are not only free from the sentence of death for our sin, but we are also purified from sin's influence as we grow in Christ. 

• 1 month later...

Q2. (1 John 2:28; 3:2-3)

Q. In what way does our expectation of Christ's Second Coming motivate us to purify ourselves from sin?

A. Given that we do not know the day or the hour he will come back, we need to do everything possible to ensure that He will not come and catch us in a mess of sin

Q. How does purifying ourselves from sin relate to God's grace?

A. We are saved by grace but we need to do our part of ensuring that we keep away from sin. But when we sin we immediately confess and ask for forgiveness and cleansing of our souls and spirits.

• 3 years later...

Q2. (1 John 2:28; 3:2-3) In what way does our expectation of Christ's Second Coming motivate us to purify ourselves from sin? How does purifying ourselves from sin relate to God's grace?

When Jesus comes again we need to be as the Bible says, confident and not afraid, and unashamed, not ashamed. This will motivate us to purify ourselves, and look forward to the appearance of our King. We can purify ourselves only by making ourselves righteous with Goad, in repenting our sins, accepting Jesus as our Saviour and being baptised and receiving the Holy Spirit as our guide to continue in this purification process.

It is through His grace that we are given a chance to get right with God, being in right standing, and not to be used as an excuse and say, grace and faith alone is ALL we need, removing any requirements from me? 

• 2 months later...

In what way does our expectation of Christ's Second Coming motivate us to purify ourselves from sin? How does purifying ourselves from sin relate to God's grace?

I'm going to be honest here -- I'm not motivated by the belief that Christ is coming again. I'm very motivate, to get rid of impurity in my life which is mainly in the realm of thought, but this has nothing to do with the second coming. His first coming was enough to make me feel guilt and shame and therefore want to change. 

So many people, even in the bible, thought His return was imminent -- it wasn't. Had they lived "in the day", and not for the future, their lives may not have been substantially different, however. Since I don't know if I'll be alive when He comes again, I'm living under the expectation that I'll die un-raptured. My purity in life is utmost because I won't be taken away from any problems within or outside of my mind.

I know this is the wrong answer!

The entire idea of self-purification also bothers me. It seems so pagan, maybe Buddhist or another "striving" religion of self-denial. Even Jews are a bit like this. So how does a Christian "cooperate" with God in his or her own power? I'm not sure. In reality, it "feels like" I'm doing my part, but it may be the HS in me changing me, not me. I'm not sure I can take credit for any moral improvement. Outside of salvation, a point at which I submitted to God, repenting and accepting his forgiving grace, what is it I'm supposed to be doing?

In my mind, I feel as if I'm cooperating or participating. I feel as if I'm giving things up and doing things I wouldn't normally do. But I'm not sure if this is my agency or His. I don't know where the motive force is found -- in me, or in Him. 

• 6 months later...

(1 John 2:28; 3:2-3) In what way does our expectation of Christ's Second Coming motivate us to purify ourselves from sin?

We must be motivated by the fact that the actual day and time of his coming is unknown.  Like the servant of the house, or the virgins having extra lamp oil, we must be vigilant and ready. 

Bluntly put, we MUST turn away from sin now, not later, for later may be too late.  Thinking we can do a “quick reversal from sin” at the day of His return, is a too-little, too-late effort.  We will be lost to salvation if we don’t give our own effort above God’s grace.