JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Purifying Hope

Q2. (1 John 2:28; 3:2-3) In what way does our expectation of Christ's Second Coming motivate us to purify ourselves from sin? How does purifying ourselves from sin relate to God's grace?

I believe that from the moment of the indwelling of the Holy spirit in ones life, the christian automatically starts to work toward becoming more Christ like. The Spirit convicts our spirit to strive for holiness. Often all it takes to see this is to step back and look at your life, from the point of your spiritual rebirth. It will amaze you how your life has changed, even if in the smallest of ways.

Often Christians are expecting earth moving visual results in their lives, but we must all understand while some have these experiences,this cleansing process takes a lifetime and it will only be brought into completion when our Savior returns to take us home. Amen.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1 John 2:28; 3:2-3) In what way does our expectation of Christ's Second Coming motivate us to purify ourselves from sin? How does purifying ourselves from sin relate to God's grace?

We know that Jesus will come for us at a time-when, we don't know. We just know that He is coming for us. Because we don't know when He will come, He tells us that we must always be ready. Meanwhile, the battle rages on! We will constantly be at war with our flesh-trials and temptations will come. That is why we must stay prayed up, and study the Word, and walk in the Spirit. If we continue to study the word of God, and pray for ourselves, and our brothers and sisters in Christ, then God's grace will keep us safe and clean until He comes for us. Confess your sins. Pray and ask God for strength and guidance. Fellowship. I'll pray for you, and you will pray for me. Daily!

When I was a little girl my father traveled a good bit with work. I can remember trying to be on my best behavior and keep my room as tidy as possible so when he came home he would praise me and give me a small gift from his trip. I knew my father loved me and I wanted to show him my love for him. I feel the same way about my heavenly Father. I love Him so much and out of that love I want to please Him, be His hands and feet, love others the way He has loved me. If I genuinely do my best to do what He would have me do (as scary as that is sometimes), if I genuinely ask forgiveness of my sins and continuessly to grow in my relationship with Christ and my Father then I feel like nothing can ever seperate us and I can look forward to the coming of Christ.

We are Gods` children so we want to do right. We want to be strong and courageous in the face of Christ. As children of God it is our desire to please Him because we have the HS in us. We would like to hear those words:" Well done My faithful servants".As children of God our life is to become more like Christ and one day see Him face to face, to be with Him for ever,so we aim to purify ourselves the best we can. Doing all this is pleasing to God but it is only by His grace that we receive everlasting life not our works. :rolleyes:

If we are truly expecting Jesus to return we will confess and repent of out sins. We are saved by Grace but we have a responsibility. We know not the time but we are to live expecting Jesus to return any moment. We should be good stewards over what He has entrusted to us.

ONE THING I KNOW FOR SURE IS HE IS RETURNING!

Our expectation of the second coming of the lord Jesus Christ should make us to be prepared to receive Him- the Holy and Righteous Lord. Because He is Holy, we have to be holy by confessioon of our sin and repenting ie turning from the unrighteous way of life to the the rghteous life style. We have continously do this since we do not know when He will appear- like a thief in the night, un announced.

We are saved by grace, unmerited favour. However, we are expected to take the decision to obey and live holy lives. God will not force us, it is our choice to obey or not.

The Holy Spirit within fills us with a desire for purification. I want to be clean before God and Christ at the Second Coming. When we seek the Spirit, we can turn away from sin. Thank you God for this gift.

When Christ returns, there will be an evaluation of how well we have cooperated with the Holy Spirit to live in keeping with our repentance (Acts 26:20). The great gift of salvation is not meant to be a stagnant treasure that is tucked away for "safe-keeping" until it's time to face the Father. It is a life-altering change that is meant to be actively at work in transforming the nature of once-dead sinners into vibrant saints whose hearts and deeds mirror the nature of the Savior. He is not compatible with sin and will not accept it in His presence. God has proclaimed us holy, but we cannot perfect or perform it by human effort. He's at work to make us clean, whole, and free from sin's consequences - not just in eternity, but right here in this life. He expects us to welcome the purifying work of His Spirit and be His example to the world of His holiness.

The grace of God is the power that accomplishes this purification, but we must take the practical steps to walk the talk in that power. When He reveals filth in our hearts/attitudes/behaviors, we have to agree and apply the Word in our daily lives. Christians should have an increasing repulsion toward sin and an increasing desire for this divine purity. If we ignore/neglect this part of our faith, I think it will be an instant of utter shamed grief to face Christ. He will be returning to receive His beautiful spotless unblemished Bride. If we're really longing for that moment, we will be longing to be ready.

VERY WELL STATED!

If I knew that a famous person was coming to my house, I would make the effort to clean my house, shower, and dress before the person knocked on my door. All that Christ has done for me gives me the incentive to insure that my life is pleasing to Him when He returns. I want nothing to be out of place when he arrives. It

• In what way does our expectation of Christ's Second Coming motivate us to purify ourselves from sin?Wouldn't you want to make yourself presentable for that most special person in your life... one you had never met in person, but who had shown you great love in spite of all your past failings... one who saved you from a death too unspeakable to really understand... and what if that person was God himself? Adam and Eve put on leaves to cover their faults when God came calling... how much more can we do knowing he is near?
  • How does purifying ourselves from sin relate to God's grace?We can't purify ourselves from sin... we've been there; tried that; and sacrificed countless lambs, and finally the Lamb of God. Without His grace, our efforts at purification are futile. Even when we think we have done well, our efforts are dung in His eyes.

468x60.jpg

Click HERE to sponsor a child today

it has not yet been revealed what we shall be,but we do know that when christ is revealed, weshall be like him,for we shall seen him as he is.

everyone who has this hope of seeing christ and being like him,purifies himself,just as he is pure.the lord jesus never had to purify himself,he is pure.with us,it is a gradual proces;with him,it is a fact.

Jesus said, 'if you love me, follow my example.' I believe that, when you are touched by the love, truth and righteousness of Christ, your eyes are opened to the consequence of sin on a deeper level. You may go through times that trying to 'purify' your life is like opening a can of worms. You don't have to feel defeated by this because we are covered with His grace. It is a journey we will stay on, finding ways (with the help of the Holy Spirit) to defeat our sins one at a time. Why do we stay on this narrow path? Because we have faith with our entire being in Jesus Christ and all that He has done and promised us.

1Jn 2:28 Children, stay one in your hearts with Christ. Then when he returns, we will have confidence and won't have to hide in shame.

1Jn 2:29 You know that Christ always does right and that everyone who does right is a child of God.

1Jn 3:1 Think how much the Father loves us. He loves us so much that he lets us be called his children, as we truly are. But since the people of this world did not know who Christ is, they don't know who we are.

1Jn 3:2 My dear friends, we are already God's children, though what we will be hasn't yet been seen. But we do know that when Christ returns, we will be like him, because we will see him as he truly is.

1Jn 3:3 This hope makes us keep ourselves holy, just as Christ is holy.

The Lord Himself told us many times to be ready for His arrival as we will not know when that is to. I know I dont want to be caught living the life I was living prior to my coming to know Christ. I could not in my wildest dreams imagine the pure shame and depression if Christ returned and I was doing some of the things in my previous life. Therefore when He returns I want to be ready doing the things that have been asked of me to do and keeping away from that which God has told us to keep away from. Also when He returns it will be for judgement and though fear is not what brings me to the Lord I do have righteous fear of God's anger and wrath.

It is God's grace that saves us...not one of us is good enough to do that for ourselves no matter how hard we try but we have a duty also and that is to be honestly sorry for the sins in our lives and to turn away from them and repent. We have our part in the sanctification process.

Q2 If we are to anticipate of Christ's Second Coming, we need to be vigilant, to be ready

and stand alert at all times for we do not know when the hour or time of His coming.

We need to be careful with our lives, to purify ourselves from sin that seeks to

contaminate us.

If we profess we are God's children, we need to live life pleasing to Him. We are

called to be holy as Jesus is holy. Thus, we need daily to purify ourselves from

any sins that can turn us against God. If we repent of sins, God's grace is working

in us.

In what way does our expectation of Christ's Second Coming motivate us to purify ourselves from sin?

Our expectation of Christ's Second Coming is a firm belief that the Christ's Second Coming is not a

The Christian life is a process of becoming more and more like Christ. This process will not be complete until we see Christ face to face, but knowing that it is our ultimate destiny should motivate us to purify ourselves. To keep pure means to keep morally straight, free from the corruption of sin. God also purifies us, but there is action we must take to remain morally fit.

The sons of God know that their Lord is holy and pure; he is of purer heart and eyes than to admit any pollution or impurity to dwell with him. Those then who hope to live with him must study the utmost purity from the world, and flesh, and sin; they must grow in grace and holiness. Not only does their Lord command them to do so, but their new nature inclines them so to do; yea, their hope of heaven will dictate and constrain them so to do. They know that their high priest is holy, harmless, and undefiled. They know that their God and Father is the high and holy one, that all the society is pure and holy, that their inheritance is an inheritance of saints in light. It is a contradiction to such hope to indulge sin and impurity. And therefore, as we are sanctified by faith, we must be sanctified by hope. That we may be saved by hope we must be purified by hope. It is the hope of hypocrites, and not of the sons of God, that makes an allowance for the gratification of impure desires and lusts.

The Bible makes it very clear in 2 Corinthians 5:10 that we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ that each one may receive what is due him for deeds done while in the body.

When the Lord appears, I will stand before Him and give an account to Him of my life and you will stand

before Him and give an account to Him of your life. Each one will stand before the Lord. Each one will be

examined and so John writes, "Dear children, continue in Him so that when He appears we may be

confident...Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself."

If personal holiness is to be the goal of every believer, if the way in which we prepare ourselves for the

presence of the Lord, the appearing of Christ, is to purify ourselves, then it follows inevitably that Christians

should never, ever participate in evil. If God's people are to purify themselves, that means they are to get rid of evil. They are to steadfastly, absolutely, unequivocally refuse to do what is wrong in God's eyes

Q2. (1 John 2:28; 3:2-3) In what way does our expectation of Christ's Second Coming motivate us to purify ourselves from sin? We never know when Christ will return, we just know that He will return. Based on that it is crucial that we maintain ourselves in a purified state in anticipation of His return.

How does purifying ourselves from sin relate to God's grace? We can never purify ourselves fully, that can only happen through God's grace, but we must honestly and openly repent as a part of the purification process which is completed through God's grace.

If I expect Him to return then, since I don't know when, I am motivated to be pure like Him. This purification is a work of God's grace along with my cooperation.

KNOWING THAT HIS SECOND COMING MAY BE SOON, IT MAKES ME EVEN MORE AWARE OF HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO LIVE A GODLY, HOLY LIFE THAT IS PLEASING UNTO THE LORD.I DAILY ASK THE LORD TO SHOW BE WHAT IS IN MY HEART THAT IS NOT PLEASING TO HIM, SO THAT I CAN REPENT, AND WITH HIS HELP, AND BY HIS GRACE, TURN AWAY FROM THESE THINGS.I DONT WANT ANY SIN IN MY LFE, IT CONTAMINATES AND INTERFERES WITH MY RELATIONSHIP WITH THE LORD.

As we develop a closer walk with Jesus we desire to get rid of those things that would entangle our lives and taint our relationship with our God., and as we do not know at what time the Lord shall return so this should motivate us to live according to God's word.

Gods grace is always available and as we yield our lives to Him,he will show us what we need to deal within our lives.

The hope of His coming certainly should motivate us, and encourage us to be prepared for the bridegroom, and the Judgement seat. The Lord says to him who overcomes will inherit paradise, will not be hurt at all by the second death, will have hidden manna and a new name and will have His authority over the nations. He'll be dressed in white, a pillar in the temple of the Father and sit with Jesus on His throne. Rev. 2:7,1,11,17,26;3:5,21

God's grace is sufficient for each of us and only by his grace can we be overcomer's, purified and made ready.

And while we still stumble and fall, and get dirty He picks us back up, and cleans us up. "God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. 1Cor. 10:13

As we develop a closer walk with Jesus we desire to get rid of those things that would entangle our lives and taint our relationship with our God., and as we do not know at what time the Lord shall return so this should motivate us to live according to God's word.

Gods grace is always available and as we yield our lives to Him,he will show us what we need to deal with in our lives.

Sin cannot enter the new kingdom. We know that Jesus will return for us, and so we must stand firm! We want to be ready at all times, because we don't know when He will come. And, because we love the Lord, and He has the very hairs on our head numbered, and He will take care of us, we should be ever committed to obedience and trust in the Lord. God's grace will see us through to the end. We don't need to rely on man so fill our needs-we can't even do it ourselves! God gives us all things to enjoy! We are His offspring!!! Gloray!