JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. The School Character Improvement

Q6. Extra Credit. Whose character flaws most remind you of your own? Isaac's, Rebekah's, Esau's, or Jacob's? Why? How is God working to improve your character?

Thank God for His grace and mercy...and that He's the restorer of broken walls! In the first days of my walk I was like Isaac....walking in the flesh, then He gave me some wonderful promises, and like Rebekah, I "tried to help Him fulfill them RIGHT NOW!, and using wrong means. I don't see much of Esau, as I came from such dire circumstances that when the Lord saved my sorry life, I've never taken lightly what He's done for me...I appreciate every bit of grace. Definitely have seen Jacob flaws too, and can say that I'm not yet what I'm going to be, but thank God I'm not what I used to be, and that His mercies are new every morning. How is He working to improve my character?.....As I surrender to Him, He works to complete the work He began in me. He's also done lots of work through trials, pain, betrayal, losses, disappointment, all of which cause me to cling to Him and to allow Him to change me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I am more like Rebekah. I have special feelings for one grandchild and my kids

resents this. I try to treat each child and grandchild as the needs arise. Still

creates problems. I ask Jesus to help me be the same and fair to each one. The

kids makes it almost impossible to do that, but my Saviour always comes through.

I think I relate most to Jacob. My character flaws were/are mostly in the area of deception & thinking only of myself, to get what I needed (or thought I needed). Jesus is at work in me to change that area of my life. It can still be an area of weakness, and I must stand strengthened in the Lord each day to not fall prey to satan. I can recognize the tempation now and call on God to change my heart and lead me His Way.

A bit of them all! That is the message God is giving to us as we study the characters of these people, that we can be like them all... There are times when I have behaved like Rebekah, taking things into my own hands simply because I have got a message from God about some event or situation,

I also recall that I have been like Esau, despising the deep and spiritual things of God, and rather desiring the things of the flesh...did I not prefer to go that party instead of the bible study that one evening? And I have been like Jacob, led astray by what my worldly friends and even sometimes family members tell me to do and deceiving people to get my own way, even though I knew that wasn't the right things to do....

I cannot even begin to count the many times i have been blind to God's direction like Isaac...may God have mercy on me and through these lessons and His word, direct my heart and mind toward His perfection

Q6. Extra Credit. Whose character flaws most remind you of your own? Isaac's, Rebekah's, Esau's, or Jacob's? Why? How is God working to improve your character?

As a 63 year old father, grandfather, i can relate to being a child who knew he was conditionally loved by a father with no understanding of spiritual headship. by the actions of rebekah, esau and jacob, i can relate to living in a dysfunctional family as a child.

As a father i can accept periods where i elected to not follow a spirit led life and the traps of not openly communicating spiritual leadership with my wife, children.

As a grand father, it is much easier to know that some of my life/parenting, following biblical leadership principles were critically important in watching my son and daughter raise their children in a home where there is biblical headship, servant hearts and attention to learning how much the trinity loves them. it is my prayer that the next generation is even more in tune with the holy spirit, scripture and unity in a family being sold out to the trinity.

Isaac's character is closest to mine, in that I can be deceived thinking the best of people's action. For this I pray for wisdom and God's guidance daily.

I would have to say Rebekah's. On one of our moves I spent the first three years trying to manipulate to get us back to New England which I considered home base even though I am not from New England. Then I got a job teaching quilting at a Bible study elective course and a job at a store down the street and then the transfer came. I believe it would have anyway and even though my manipulating was done out of a feeling of helplessness where living in a place where new people were not wanted (I was shunned)I was not putting my trust in God as I should have. I was looking at the circumstances and not Him. I am still learning. More moves were ahead and more periods of uncertainty. I have grown in the moving, I came to know Him! and learned that God knows what is best and His timing is perfect.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

One of Isaac's flaws was to be too trusting. With the time involved, Jacob's voice, etc., he had doubt that it was really Esau but he dropped his doubt and accepted Jacob as Esau without pressing the issue. Sometimes, this is a flaw with Christians. Doubt is there but it is easier to go with the flow than to question and cause a rift.

One of Rebekah's flaws was discriminate love. Jacob and Esau should each have been loved for who they were and not their birth position. Another flaw was deceit. I think all Christians have this from time to time.

Esau's self gratitude was his main flaw and Jacob evidentally learned deceit from his mother. From time to time, we are guilty of each of these character flaws. We can pray to overcome them.

Q6. Extra Credit. Whose character flaws most remind you of your own? Isaac's, Rebekah's, Esau's, or Jacob's?

Jacob.

Why? I am always trying to get in God

Confess your sins,one unto another: I have done them all: favoritism and substituting my own judgement for the truth (Isaac),Deception in order to protect loved ones from error (Rebekah), complicity in deception,as well as reveling in the moment of my advantage over another (Jacob),and grasping the momentary,material gain without thought of the consequences,as well as complaining about my poor choice afterward (Esau).Please pray for those of us who are faced with deception as "the lesser of perceived evils", when a loved one with an alcohol or drug problem asks us for money, and we're tempted to lie, and say we're broke,rather than hurt their feelings with the truth, and tell them that they really don't need money for something that's killing them...for me, Rebekah's character defect, is the closest to my heart.

God bless you for pointing out that protecting the addict from his/her addiction is a sin if it involves telling lies (and it usually does).

Isaac, for I think he really knew what was happening, but he did not stop it. Like me I have backslid for a few years now

and knew what was happening but did not stop it. I almost was to the point of thinking God would not have me back, and

the only way I knew to come back was to come back through this Bible Study.

Q6. Extra Credit. Whose character flaws most remind you of your own? Isaac's, Rebekah's, Esau's, or Jacob's? Why?

I like to think of myself as having the character of Jacob, for I'm always setting back waiting on what's going to come to come except for maybe not willing to deceive to get it.

How is God working to improve your character?

The Lord is really helping me to calm down and see that He is in control and if I'll just let Him, He will take care of all things.

I would have to say my one character flaw closely resembles that of Rebekah. Being a step-mother I find myself battling almost daily trying not to put my own children ahead of my step-children. I have many excuses ..my children know what I expect from them...they were raised with the morals I wanted them to have...and on and on but really in the end I am the parent to all of them and need to remember what my role is. So unlike Rebekah I dont have one favourite child but rather have children whom I favour more. Also like Esau I want instant gratification rather than wait for the long haul. When it seems to be taking to long I get discouraged and willing to give in to many things just to solve my problem.

The main thing is that I have recognized some of my problems. I would say the first thing I have done is taken them to the Lord especially about the children as I never want my family to be a your-mine family. I have talked with my Pastor, gone to parenting classes and something that was very difficult explained my fears to my husband. As for being impatient I still fight with that but also am learning that there is some things worth waiting for

1. Who's character flaws most remind you of your own?

I'm almost certain that I have displayed all family members character in me. It just depends on how well I'v listened to God that day and if I spent time with him, may or may

not show those characters.

2. Oh my gosh! How is God working to improve my character?

God constantly works on me by allowing me to make choices. Some are easy but, tests my wisdom (strengths). Some are very challenging and does the same thing

(weakness). And I find that in my busyness my character is very up and down inside and out. I don't like it when it is that way and the longing and desire to get back to the

word and talking story with God is very convicting.

I see myself in all. Issac-trust; Rebeckah-impatience; Esau- not seeing the hidden purpose; Jacob-avoiding trouble. All of us can identify at one time or another the flaws they had.

I pray asking God to give me patience, wisdom, trustin the face of distrustful people; and having the ability to discern when to assert myself and when to stay in the shadows. Thank God He's working on my brokenness.

I think Rebekah's character flaws remind me of myself in that I have often taken matters into my own hands when I should have waited on God to handle those matters. It it easy to run ahead of God. However, in recent years, God has worked with me and I have learned to wait on Him. I'm not perfect, but I'm growing in this area.

Q6. Extra Credit. Whose character flaws most remind you of your own? Isaac's, Rebekah's, Esau's, or Jacob's? Why? How is God working to improve your character? Maybe a little of Rebekah in the way of her faith before she did what she did. I'm a woman of great faith that have learn to listen. I often separate myself and want the best for those I love. I felt like she did at one point when she knew Isaac was the better child in her eyes and she did know the promise that God made but she felt that this would have been the last chance because her husband was going to die, fear set in and she wanted to make sure Esau was not the one. I felt that way as my sister was dying I felt that she was a woman of God and could have spread the word of God that she always did and to me God was taking a wonderful woman of God and letting someone else that I knew that have cancer live that was not living for God. But of course I could do anything about that except to pray and understand that God never makes a mistake what He said he will do He will. My sister had completed her job her and it was time for her to rest. Others need to make changes in their lives so that they too will be ready for the day of rejoice.

I think Rebekah's character reminded me most of my own. I am generally an impatient person and I like to be in control. I still do :-(

I like things to go my way at my time. About 6 years ago, certain things concerning my family just went completely off course and even if I wanted to, there was nothing I could do to make things right. I humbled myself and told God that I accepted his decision. I confessed my sin of being too controlling and the things that went wrong actually became right about 2 years ago. I have learnt (and I am STILL LEARNING) that He is God and His ways and His timing is sovereign. I still stumble and on several occasions still insist on doing things my way, but the Holy Spirit will gently remind me that God is in control.

Right now, I see myself in Esau and Jacob. In Esau, I see how I do indulge in fleshly desires that I should not and know that I have to give up. In Jacob, I also see I also have an interest in things of God and spiritual things and sense God calling me. I see in myself ways that God is working on me--an attitude changing towards the way I look at Him and different situations. He is humbling me, though there is still a long way to go, so I have to be patient with myself, and stop worrying about God giving up on me; I have to realize that if He gave His Son to die in my place and gave His own life for me while I was ungrateful and hateful towards Him, He won't cast me away now and will complete the work He is working in me.

It seems to me that there are different levels of deceiption which on some cases we justify why we are doing something so it doesn't seem like deceiption. In reality I have learned through the bible that the levels don't matter its all deceiption. So, I believe that as humans we need to stop trying to justify what we do so we act like we are not sinning. I would rather just go to the bible if there is a question as to whether it is a sin or not. Most of the time I know if I think it could me IT IS so don't do it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Through recent events God showed me that I had had a Jacob Spirit, a lack of trust in God meant that while He was my plan a, I also had a plan b,c,d, etc. I would lie scheme and manipulate to protect my back and those around me.

Through healing and deliverance, God has shown me that He is working an Israel Spirit in me. One of trust and confidence, of truth and integrity, that I might be a creation of grace and beauty that God can use.

Praise His Holy, Magnificent Name.

I am/was sadly a lot like Esau. Really reckless in succeeding, or just doing what I felt like, at the suggestion of my earthly father, who was quit the macho man when he was very young. I didn't have an identity, I had my father's identity. I was to have his favor, but didn't know how to focus and succeed without damaging my relations with foolish remarks to people of authority. Still people like my work ethic.

Now I'm perhaps more like Jacob, not so fully distant from God but all too often trying to do God's will rather than letting Him use me, I simply just get in the way. Time to let go and let God. he again gives me another chance. god is amazing how He loves us in spite of ourselves; he is so patient in His love and grace and correction. he is the most loving thing we could ever want to know. What a great goal to learn to trust Him more and get closer so he can lead us to His way.

• 2 weeks later...

I think, perhaps, the closest character flaw I have would be to Esau's, because I believe he lived his life not as close to the Lord than the others. We all sin and we all have problems for this reason, but I did not serve my God and Savior as much as I should have after marriage. I worked all the time to make more money for my family. I did not put God above all earthly things. Now I live opposite than from before. God is first priority, then my wife, and then my family. God has blessed us so much since then, yet I feel so unworthy of His countless blessings. But, I know only through Christ Jesus am I worthy to stand before my God.

REBEKAH'S CHARACTER FLAWS MOST REMIND ME OF MYSELF SINCE IN THE PAST , AND EVEN NOW I TRY TO HELP GOD OUT AT TIMES, NOT SO MUCH AS BY DECEPTION BUT BY NOT WAITING ON HIM, GETTING IMPATIENT AT TIMES AND GETTING DISCOURAGED IN GOD AND HIS PROMISES.