JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Change in Jacob

When Jacob left to go to Haran, Esau was seeking to take Jacob's life! Now we see one brother running to embrace another brother to kiss him, "And they wept." I think Esau grew to forgive his brother Jacob. I believe Jacob openly acknowledges this forgiveness when in verse 10 he says, "If I have found favor in your eyes, accept this gift from me. For to see your face is like seeing the face of God." Jacob saw forgiveness in Esau's face and not only that, but complete forgiveness that didn't really require anything more of Jacob, though more was offered and because Jacob insisted, eventually was accepted. Complete forgiveness reflects the face of God and Jacob saw that. Esau had also become a prosperous man in his own right and I see the jealousy he felt at one time had ceased. He not only was confident in his own life, but was happily interested in Jacob's prosperity also. There seems a contentment in both that was lacking before.

Jacob himself, has become humble. Though he is cautious and acting in wisdom as he goes out to meet his brother, he has no plan to harm his brother. He has no plan to take advantage of his brother or scheme against him. He and his whole family submit to not only God's direction but to place themselves as servants to Esau, even though they have the covenant right to "lord it over" them! Ahhhhh.....how much we can learn from this!

I don't think I would liken any of this to "craftiness". That word denotes deceit in something to me. I think Jacob was wise in all he did. He could have acted in many different ways, but he chose a peaceful way with submission....maybe out of fear, yes... but he also knew that the land would be his, so he let Esau go out before him alone. But I don't think this was in so much deceit but in peaceful wisdom too, because in Chap. 36 we read about Esau and his family and vs. 6-8 say Esau went out of the land away from Jacob "because the land could not support both of them and their livestock." I think Jacob just claimed what was rightfully his and Esau submitted to that in return of being treated with respect. (as it should be done!) Yes, Jacob did say he would come to Esau in Seir and refused to have any of Esau's men remain with him, so the separation was complete, and went on to Succoth, but I believe Jacob had ceased to make so many "plans" for himself and was only proceeding, waiting on God.

No, I don't think anyone can be humble and crafty at the same time, but that is a matter of opinion in what you think "crafty" means. It's even confusing looking it up in the dictionary! :huh:

Q4. (Genesis 33:1-16) How has Esau changed since Jacob had gone to Haran?

When Jacob left Haran, Esau was bitter and angry with Jacob even to the point he had plotted to kill Jacob. But now Esau has forgiving Jacob and was glad to see him welcoming him home with brotherly love.

How has Jacob changed?

Jacob left a deceiver and come back humbly and with a servants heart to the point of calling Esau lord when always before he wanted to dominate over Esau.

How does the encounter demonstrate Jacob

Q4. (Genesis 33:1-16) How has Esau changed since Jacob had gone to Haran? How has Jacob changed? How does the encounter demonstrate Jacob's "craftiness"? How does it demonstrate his faith? Can Jacob be humble and "crafty" at the same time?

I think both men have had a chance to learn from their mistakes and put the past behind them in many respects. There is still uncertainty on Jacob's part as to what Esau's reaction is going to be so he sent gifts to let Esau know that he comes in peace. Jacob has grown more spiritual (understement of the year). I'm not sure if I like the word craftiness. Maybe it was a little wisdom on his part knowing how he tricked his father and his brother and to show some humility.

If we would only behave in the first place we wouldn't have these situations to deal with later.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6: 24-26

Esau has changed since Jacob has gone to Haran because he runs to meet Jacob with an embrace and a kiss of peace instead of with anger and the thrust of a knife. Though the years it seemed Easu had made a decision to forgive Jacob.

Jacob has changed in that he contributes his family and his flocks to God's graciousness rather than his own shewdness. Jacob is acknowledging that he looks to God for his very life and safetly,rather than relying on deceptive means.

This demonstrates Jacob's faith because he is admitting that God is in control of his life.

Jacob was humble because he sent several groups of peace offerings to Esau in hope of receiving his forgiveness. He was crafty in the way he divided up his herds and then his family. He made sure his favorite wife Rachel and her children were in the last group,in case Esau decided to attack the first group that went ahead. He obviously didn't mind sacrificing Leah or any of those travelling with her.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Before Jacob departed for Haran Esau was angry and vengeful and had vowed to take the life of Jacob after being cheated out of his birthright. . . At this point it appears that Esau has forgiven Jacob, is pleased to see him, and welcomes him back into the land of their father. . .

Jacob, on the other hand, before going to Haran was proud and self-serving - he was the type of person who sought to do things his own way - however upon his return he was humble and willing to trust God to bring His plan about in his life - after finally realizing that his plans would no longer work. . . Jacob now not only has faith in God - but exercises that faith in God allowing God to do as He has promised. . .

Hebrews 11:1-2 (NASB)

1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

2 For by it the men of old gained approval.

6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, for whoever would approach him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

NO, it is not possible to be both crafty and humble at the same time - crafitiness results in one depending on his/her own intellect, stregth or resources. . . An humble person will realize he/she is not able to work it out on their own but needs and seeks for help from another (if they are a Christian it will result in them looking to and trusting in God for such). . .

B)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Obviously Esau has matured from the headstrong careless young man he was twenty years before into a responsible tribal chief kind of figure. I also think that over the years he had genuinely forgiven his brother for his deception. I reckon they probably got on well enough as brothers while they grew up, but Jacob just annoyed Esau every once in a while. It probably wasn't until the big blow up over the birthright that things got ugly. Jacob left in a hurry and Esau would have been glad to see him go. But then over the years I'm betting Esau missed Jacob nonetheless.

How has Jacob changed?

We've pretty much covered that in the previous questions. Suffice to say that Jacob is now a man of God. He has faith and strength, God given strength.

How does the encounter demonstrate Jacob

• 4 months later...

Over time, Esau forgave his brother and Jacob became humble. He knows God know and he realize that God is for him and not against him and he does not have to be crafty any longer. He has learned to put his faith in God and not in his own abilities. No, I don't think he can be crafty any longer because he his walking by sight now and not by sight.

Over time, Esau forgave his brother and Jacob became humble. He knows God know and he realize that God is for him and not against him and he does not have to be crafty any longer. He has learned to put his faith in God and not in his own abilities. No, I don't think he can be crafty any longer because he his walking by sight now and not by sight.

• 3 months later...

4a)Esau has softened in his heart &actions, he offers jacob sign of peace & forgiveness,wept with him.

B)He has shown humility,submitting to Esau, bestowing gifts on him,seeking favour.

C)Jacob was persistent Esau should accept them,needed Esau’s forgiveness,now see’s him as his servant. Put groups first to soften Esau.

D)It showed faith as not sure of Esau’s reaction.

E) humility &a degree ofcraftiness shows wisdom.

• 1 year later...

The change that was in Esau was one for the better. He had forgiven his brother for tricking his dad into giving him the birthrights that belongs him. Jacob has changed into a more obedient person to God and to be more humble to his brother.

This encounter demonstrates that Jacob is still thinking of ways to get the best that he will need. It demonstrated his faith by approaching Esau and that he says that God is the one that provided everything to him. I think that Jacob was humble and “crafty” at the same time.

• 2 years later...

Esau is no longer angry. He has his own life now and is just happy to see his brother after 20 years.

How has Jacob changed?

He relies on God and understands that all he has, has been given to him by God.

How does the encounter demonstrate Jacob�s �craftiness�?

He figured if he presented the gifts and humble himself before Esau then whatever anger was still there would disapate.

How does it demonstrate his faith?

He believed he had God protection around him.

Can Jacob be humble and �crafty� at the same time?

I don't think the word is crafty now, he is now intelligent of his actions.

• 6 years later...

Q4. (Genesis 33:1-16)

How has Esau changed since Jacob had gone to Haran?

How has Jacob changed?

How does the encounter demonstrate Jacob's "craftiness"?

How does it demonstrate his faith?

Can Jacob be humble and "crafty" at the same time?

Esau no longer wanted to kill Jacob, instead he ran toward him and embraced him and welcomed him back.  Esau had also now moved to Seir, where he was chieftain of the tribe and had his followers and flocks etc.

Jacob too has changed. He is now humble and acknowledges God's part in His accumulation of servants, cattle, sheep and goats, the increase in his family etc.  

Both men have "grown up"   and have come to the realization that there is room for both .  One does not need to lord it over the other. In fact when Esau invites Jacob to come to Seir , Jacob does not fall in with the plan but goes at his own pace and decides to go as God leads. (not crafty, but wise) He does insist that Esau accepts his gifts, because in that way Esau will not easily come back later to fight him.(That too is wise and not necessarily crafty) So the two that he was 'careful' of have been sorted. Laban will not go beyond Mizpah and Esau will not fight him because he accepted a gift from him.  For now the family is safe.   Jacob now trusts the God of Isaac as his God and as his protector.