JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. God Appears Again at Bethel

God appears to Jacob another time because they are in relationship together! He gives His next instruction of where to go and where to settle. Jacob is renewed in this relationship, assured of God's love and blessings and Jacob in turn, sets up a stone pillar and pours out a drink offering on it as well as pouring oil on it. It is sanctified. Set apart for worship to his God. He names the place El Bethel which means "God of Bethel." This is a give and take relationship of love and respect and loyalty between Jacob and God. One we can all have! How wonderful after mistakes, to hear God say "Here I am! I never left you! See? I remind you of my goodness to you!" and how fitting for us to cry out "Abba God! How mighty and faithful! How much we need You! Come everyone! See my God! Hear what He has done!"

The promises renewed:

He will be fruitful and increase in number

A nation and community of nations will come from him and kings will come from his body.

The land given to Abraham and Isaac will also be given to Jacob and his descendants.

I THINK TO TELL HIM AGAIN HIS NEW NAME ISRAEL. HE BLESSED HIM AGAIN AND TOLD HIM OF ALL THE THINGS HE WOULD HAVE BECAUSE OF HIS FAITH.

TO BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY AND HE SHALL HAVE NATIONS ANDKINGS SHALL COME OUT OF THY LOINS. THATMEANT HE WOULD HAVE SONS AND GRANDSONS THAT WOULD BECOME KINGS

I think God appears to Jacob again in order to re-affirm what He has said before so that Jacob can be in no doubt that it is truly God he has heard from. It is a new chapter in Jacob's life and God is stating facts and renewing promises.

The primary promises are that God will give Jacob many decendants, even including Kings. He also promises to give Jacon/Israel, the land called Canaan.

Love from Greta

:wub:

Q4. (Genesis 35:9-15) Why do you think God appears to Jacob yet another time? What are the primary promises that God renews to Jacob?

Maybe to encourage Jacob and to reaffirm His promises. I marvel at how God condescends to us. What a gracious, loving and awesome God He is.

The primary promises are that nations would come from him and the promise of the land promised to Abraham.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

God appeared to Jacob again to comfirm to him that He is his God, and would surely bless him as earlier promissed. He (Jacob) will be fruitful, multiply and wil be a father of nations and kings. These were the primary promisses made to Abraham and Isaac and later to Jacob.

Q4. (Genesis 35:9-15) Why do you think God appears to Jacob yet another time? What are the primary promises that God renews to Jacob?

Gen 35:9 And God appeared unto Jacob again, when he came from Paddan-aram, and blessed him.

Gen 35:10 And God said unto him, Thy name is Jacob: thy name shall not be called any more Jacob, but Israel shall be thy name: and he called his name Israel.

Gen 35:11 And God said unto him, I am God Almighty: be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins;

Gen 35:12 and the land which I gave unto Abraham and Isaac, to thee I will give it, and to thy seed after thee will I give the land.

Gen 35:13 And God went up from him in the place where he spake with him.

Gen 35:14 And Jacob set up a pillar in the place where he spake with him, a pillar of stone: and he poured out a drink-offering thereon, and poured oil thereon.

Gen 35:15 And Jacob called the name of the place where God spake with him, Beth-el.

God appears to Jacob one more time to once again assure Jacob of who the Lord is and to reconfirm the blessings that are to be his.

These blessing are

1) God is El Shaddai, God Almighty

2) Jacob is to be fruitful and increase

3) a nation and a community of nations will be because of him

4)the land given to Abramham and Isaac is his and his descendants

I think God appears to Jacob yet another time because He wanted to confirm Jacob's name change to Israel,plus He wanted to reaffrim the Blessing of Abraham.

The primary promises that God renews to Jacob are:

1)I am God Almighty-this is the title God first used when He revealed Himself to Abraham

2)Be fruitful and increase in number-a great people and the land are part of the blessing

3)A nation and a community of nations will come from you,and kings will come from your body-it is through Jacob and his descendants that the Messiah would come. The Lord Jesus,King of kings.

4)The land I gave to Abraham and Isaac I also give to you,and I will give this land to your descendants after you-I believe this also means present day. The land of Israel still belongs to the Jews because God promised it would always be theirs. There are those who claim that the Jews lost their claim on the land when they rejected Christ as their Messiah,but that is a false teaching.

Q4. (Genesis 35:9-15) Why do you think God appears to Jacob yet another time?

To assure him that He hasn't forgotten him and that He was still with him just like He had told him He would be the first time He had spoke with him.

What are the primary promises that God renews to Jacob?

That He would be his God and that he would be fruitful and increase in number, a nation and a community of nations will come from him, and kings will come from his body, and the land that He gave to Abraham and Isaac He would also give it to him and to his descendants after him.

I think God appears to Jacob another time, because Jacob, like the rest of us, are constantly in need of reassurance that God is with us, and won't leave or give up on us (that is what I have to remind myself). God basically puts Jacob in rememberance if His promise, to give Jacob many descendants and the land God promised to Jacob's grandfather Abraham.

Why do you think God appears to Jacob yet another time?

When God appeared to Jacob yet another time, he confirmed to Jacob the name of Israel. God was also reaffirming his promise that he had not forgotten his promises to Jacob. Even though Jacob's family and clan were worshipping false gods, God forgave them and He chose to bless them when they repented and purified themselves.

1) God reaffirms that He is El Shaddai, God Almighty. Jacob was thus assured of God's protection, provision and blessing in every area of his life and in the lives of his children and the future generations.

2) God told Jacob to be fruitful and increase in number, to bring forth future generations of children who worship the only one and true God.

3) "A nation and a community of nations will come from you, and kings will come from your body"

- it is through Abraham and Jacob that Jesus the Messiah was born into this world.

4) "The land I gave to Abraham and Isaac I also give to you, and I will give this land to your descendants after you". This same promise was given to Abraham. It is a promise fulfilled to Abraham and God promised to fulfill the same promise to Jacob.

The above promises were given to Abraham - Abraham's descendents will be blessed by God. Jacob was Abraham's descendent so he received the blessing promised to Abraham and Jacob's descendents also received the same blessings.

• 4 weeks later...

Jacob's faith was increasing and his dependence upon God to get through certain difficult situations. So God decided to reveal Himself again. This would make no doubt in Jacob's mind that certain blessings would be his.

The promise God gave to Jacob was three fold:

1 God affirmed,

God fellowships with those that are faithful to Him - in addition to fellowshipGod encouraged Jacob by reminding him of the promises He made to him and reassuring him that He is the Almighty God. . .

The primary promises God renews to Jacob is that kingdoms and nations will descend from him - that the land he is presently in is his inheritance and the inheritance of all his descendents - and that He is the Almighty God and every promise He has made He will bring to pass. . .

Numbers 23:19 (NLT)

19 God is not a man, so he does not lie. He is not human, so he does not change his mind. Has he ever spoken and failed to act? Has he ever promised and not carried it through?

B)

• 4 weeks later...

I believe that God appears to Jacob once again to affirm that He is still with Jacob and is still faithful to the promises that He had made years before. He tells Jacob who He is, the Almighty God. He affirms that Jacob will multiply and a community, including kings, will be his descendents. He affirms that the land will continue to belong to his family.

• 1 year later...

Q4. (Genesis 35:9-15) Why do you think God appears to Jacob yet another time?

Jacob has had a very eventful life since leaving Laban and returning to his home. I think God appeared to him to reassure him that He was still very much in charge and to encourage Jacob.

Jacob will be the ancestor of many nations and kings.

Jacob's descendants will inherit the land where they are.

God will help and defend Jacob.

• 7 months later...

4a)God wanted to reassure Jacob that even after the Shecham massacre happened, it didn’t change the promises God had made to him.

b)1/That God is almighty2/that he would be fruitful &have children3/that a nation &nations would comefrom him&his descendants. 4/that he would have land of Canaan given to Abraham.

• 1 year later...

I think that God appears to Jacob another time because he wanted to assure him that He was still with him and to renew the promises that he had given Jacob. The primary promises that God renews with Jacob is: He is God, to be fruitful and to multiply, that he will be the father to nations and kings and that the land that he had promised his forefathers will become his.

• 9 years later...

Q4. (Genesis 35:9-15)

Why do you think God appears to Jacob yet another time?

God is the all seeing One. He knows all things.  He was aware of what lay ahead for Jacob. Appearing to him again confirmed to Jacob yet again, that he was not alone. God was present all over.  This assurance was something that Jacob needed.  It was here that someone very near and dear to him, died and was buried, viz., Deborah, Rebekah's nurse.  

The following are the promises mentioned yet again:

• the new name was confirmed, Israel
  • you will be a nation, a company of nations
  • kings will be born of you
  • the land promised to Abraham and Isaac, is promised to Jacob and his descendants