JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Image of the Invisible God

Judaism believed that God is invisible and that any image created to look like Him or claiming to be like Him, was a false god and blasphemous. When Jesus claimed to be God in the flesh, this was a very serious offense. The Bible tells us that Jesus, as God, was with God from the beginning....at the time of creation. He is the Word. The Word "was made flesh" and dwelt among us. The statement that Jesus was the image of the invisible God for the Jews meant blasphemy as they did not believe flesh and spirit could exist together. Therefore, the thought of God in human flesh was unbelievable. But Jesus did become flesh as God's only "begotten" son. He was literally God in flesh and was unique and perfect. He wasn't like a projected image. He is the real deal. God with us. And God was pleased to have ALL His fullness dwell in Him. The perfect image of our Father. And yet, became one of us. Wow. Humbling isn't it? What true, giving love.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

missed answering questions from 1st session, I know from past experience best not to go back and catch up as will let myself fall behind.

Jesus is God with us. He is the remembered reveal reality. He is the light, the true reflection of God's charter and person. The invisible made visible. Yet, even with that image we fail to grasp fully as God is beyond our comprehension and understanding. Yet, Jesus has given us something tangible, which today is but a memory and image.

God knew as humans we would need a tangible image of Him to fully accept him, a jolt, if you will. As for the Trinity, I don't think our minds can ever grasp the full scope of that, but I believe it will make sense to us in the afterlife. I love the example that was given one person, but three function, a wife, a mother, a daughter. I think that God wants us to rely on faith to believe! "Faith is believing the possible and trusting the impossible." That's what makes us better Christians, believing in the impossible!

Q1A. (Colossians 1:15a, 19) The great understanding of Judaism was that God is spirit, not physical. That he is invisible. Any idol that tries to depict him is blasphemous. So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is "the image of the invisible God"?

The significance of the statement that Jesus is the "image of the invisible God" is that Jesus of Nazarath was more than great teacher, more than a healer and worker or "great man" founding a world religion . Jesus Christ is image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.

Q1B. (Colossians 1:15a, 19) According to verse 19, to what degree does this image accurately represent God? ]

The image of God written in verse 19 accurately represents God in all His fullness.

Q1C. (Colossians 1:15a, 19) Is Jesus actually God in the flesh, or only a manifestation of God, a kind of holograph* ?

Jesus is not a holigram -a three-dimensional image reproduced from a pattern of interference but the Word that became flesh that made His dwelling among us and made known to us in all His glory full of Grace and Truth,the glory of the One and Only true Savior, Redeemer, Messiah and God.

Q1. (Colossians 1:15a, 19) The great understanding of Judaism was that God is spirit, not physical. That he is invisible. Any idol that tries to depict him is blasphemous. So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is "the image of the invisible God"?Jesus became man in the flesh but is also God. According to verse 19, to what degree does this image accurately represent God?Jesus is fully God. Is Jesus actually God in the flesh, or only a manifestation of God, a kind of holograph? Actually God in the flesh. (A holograph might be like Princess Leia in Star Wars sending a message through R2-D2: "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope....")

Q1. (Colossians 1:15a, 19) The great understanding of Judaism was that God is spirit, not physical. That he is invisible. Any idol that tries to depict him is blasphemous. So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is "the image of the invisible God" and According to verse 19, to what degree does this image accurately represent God?

Bodily in Jesus lives Gods full being. God is seen, is revealed in Jesus, because he radiates Gods Shkhinah glory, the very expression of Gods essence fully identifies Jesus with God. He is the exact image of his Father. Jesus came in the authority of God, speaking for Him.

Is Jesus actually God in the flesh, or only a manifestation of God, a kind of holograph?

I am not sure what the question means, but, Jesus is divine, but, he is not God the Father, he is under the headship of his Father, making him one with God. For me to be saved, I must believe that God loved the world so much that God the Father sent his Son, not his person, Himself, but who God is, his Spirit is alive in Christ, I believe that Jesus is Gods Son and not God the Father, I believe that Jesus is the image of his God and Father, as precept to precepts of Gods word tells me who God is, and who the Son is, in the Son is the fullness of the Godhead.

Jesus isnt just a man, or even a prophet, in Jesus lives the fullness of all that God is, the entire fullness of divine life and divine power, God anointed him with the influences of his Spirit.

Jesus is who he says he is, the Son of God Almighty, the anointed One God promised to Israel and the world, Jesus is God's Passover Lamb, he is the Messiah, King of the Jews.

Q1. (Colossians 1:15a, 19) The great understanding of Judaism was that God is spirit, not physical. That he is invisible. Any idol that tries to depict him is blasphemous. So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is "the image of the invisible God"?

The significance is that Jesus isn't an imagined copy or an attempt to depict God....He is the visible representation of the invisible.

According to verse 19, to what degree does this image accurately represent God?

Jesus is the sum total of the divine perfection, powers and attributes of God the Father.

Is Jesus actually God in the flesh, or only a manifestation of God, a kind of holograph? (A holograph might be like Princess Leia in Star Wars sending a message through R2-D2: "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope....")

Jesus is God in the flesh. He is the firstborn of all creation, for in Him all things were created in Heaven and on earth, seen and unseen, thrones, dominions, rulers, authorities....all exist through Him, by Him, in Him and for Him.

Q1. (Colossians 1:15a, 19)

The great understanding of Judaism was that God is spirit, not physical. That he is invisible.

Any idol that tries to depict him is blasphemous.

So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is "the image of the invisible God"?

According to verse 19, to what degree does this image accurately represent God?

Is Jesus actually God in the flesh, or only a manifestation of God, a kind of holograph?

Being

So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is "the image of the invisible God"?

The significance of an image is in who creates it. Idols are images created by the hand of man and are an abomination to God. Jesus, the image of the invisible God, is created by God. God can do many things that are prohibited to man. God is sovereign. For example, vengeance is God's but Christians by God's grace return good for evil. Photographic paper can contain an invisible image that has been exposed to light. This image is called a latent image. It is invisible until the paper has been processed. The word was made flesh (processed) and made visible to us. Jesus is the incarnation of God. Although we can look at and enjoy a photographic image on paper and understand that a master image was required to create it, we do so having not seen the invisible master image and without fully understanding the process. However, the more we love God, the more He shows us the things not seen, not heard and not thought about, but He shows them to us by His Spirit. (1Cor 2:9-10)

Being a photographer (and being old enough to remember chemical photography), I really like your photo paper illustration. Thanks!

I have always believed that Jesus had to be fully human (in order to be the sacrifice) and fully God (in order to be perfect). However, in studying the scriptures for the answer to this question, I read in John 17:11,22 where Jesus prays that "they, (meaning His disciples/followers/us). may be one as we, (meaning He and the Father), are one." It's easy for me to accept Jesus' "oneness" as God in the flesh. It's a lot harder to accept the same kind of "oneness" for myself. Does Jesus mean something different in His prayer, or is He actually praying for the same kind of "oneness" that He has with the Father?

I sent private messages to several members regarding my question above and received an answer I wanted to share with everyone. "Redemption" wrote...

"Depending upon the context, I think one/oneness can mean different things.

John 10:30. In this verse, I believe when Jesus says "I and the Father are one" He is referring to He and the Father being one God as in Deut 6:4 (Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!). So, Jesus is claiming to be deity. This seems to be the correct interpretation because in v33 it says the Jews picked up stones to stone Jesus because they believed He was blaspheming, making Himself out to be God.

John 17:11,22. In John 17, Jesus is talking about Himself and the Father...how the Father and Son seek to glorify each other, how Jesus has shared the Father's words w/ the people, how Jesus and the Father share all things w/ each other and how Jesus has come forth from the Father. So, in vs 11,22, I believe that when Jesus is saying "May they be one as We are one", He is referring to the manifestation of love and unity among believers, since He and the Father love each other and have one mind (are in agreement). This seems to be the correct interpretation because in v22-23 it says, The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me."

biggrin.gifThank you all for your insight. I've been blessed by your responses.

Q1. (Colossians 1:15a, 19) The great understanding of Judaism was that God is spirit, not physical. That he is invisible. Any idol that tries to depict him is blasphemous. So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is

To me, God the Father is SPIRIT, who loves us so much He wants us to love and Know Him, so He sent His Spirit to young Mary to create Himself in the flesh. He knew we needed to be able to use our five senses to relate with Him intimately. In Jesus, God's son, we are able to see and know what God is like, for they are ONE in Spirit. God's pleasure was to have ALL of His fullness dwell in Jesus Christ, so that reveals they are alike in every way. Not just a reflection but totally ONE. The only difference is that the Father is not visible and Jesus was visible.

Q1. (Colossians 1:15a, 19) The great understanding of Judaism was that God is spirit, not physical. That he is invisible. Any idol that tries to depict him is blasphemous. So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is

This question was very confusing to answer. I read all of the responses and I think, for me, Foofee's Nana answer explained it best so that I could grasp it. Thanks.

The great understanding of Judaism was that God is spirit, not physical. That he is invisible. Any idol that tries to depict him is blasphemous. So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is

Q1. (Colossians 1:15a, 19) The great understanding of Judaism was that God is spirit, not physical. That he is invisible. Any idol that tries to depict him is blasphemous. So what is the significance of the statement that Jesus is "the image of the invisible God"? Jesus being revealed as the image of the invisible God answers the deity of Christ himself. He