JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. An Open Door and Clear Communication

The prayer request that Paul asked for of the Colossian believers that the Lord would open doors and that they would be able to communicate with them after that the door was opened.

What it means when they say open doors is that the heart of the people that they are talking to will listen and will accept the word of God.

When he asked for prayer in communicating the gospel was so when the door is open and we don

Q2. (Colossians 4:3-4) What prayer request does Paul ask of the Colossian believers? What does it mean to pray for an "open door." Why does he ask for prayer in communicating the gospel? Isn't he an "old hand" at this? Why does he need help?

Paul requests prayer for an "open door" or an opportunity for the Gospel to be proclaimed by "us" (himself and others). He also asks for boldness and clarity to proclaim the Message. Along with a prayer for our own understanding, these are prayers that we should offer for all ministers of the Gospel regardless of their "experience" or "ability." The "foolishness" of preaching (1 Cor 1:21) is made powerful by the prayers of the saints.

Q2. (Colossians 4:3-4) What prayer request does Paul ask of the Colossian believers? What does it mean to pray for an "open door." Why does he ask for prayer in communicating the gospel? Isn't he an "old hand" at this? Why does he need help?

Colossians 4:3-4 - 3And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. 4Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should.

What prayer request does Paul ask of the Colossian believers? Pray for the ministry team and the success of the mission.

What does it mean to pray for an "open door." Why does he ask for prayer in communicating the gospel? Open door means to be ready to serve Jesus. Jesus said in Matthew 7:7, "7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." In order to spread the gospel, we need to be in prayer first and be ready when the door is open.

Isn't he an "old hand" at this? Paul is telling us that we must be persistent in our prayer life and he knows he must be also.

Why does he need help? He wants to be sure that he is always clear with his message, but does not want to be sidetracked. He is telling us that we must always be persistent becasue if we are not, we would fall backwards into our former life.

Q2. (Colossians 4:3-4) What prayer request does Paul ask of the Colossian believers?

Paul asked that they pray for an open door for the proclamation of the spreading of the Gospel.

What does it mean to pray for an "open door." Why does he ask for prayer in communicating the gospel?

I believe it means "unhindered access"......that God would go before them to prepare the hearts of the listeners, and for boldness and sensitivity in the ability to share the Gospel in the power and love of the Holy Spirit. Paul was accutely aware of the hindrance and opposition Satan throws up to the speading of the Gospel, so that people stay bound and go to hell, and Paul wanted that opposition to be bound instead. Paul had nearly been killed for sharing the Gospel.

Isn't he an "old hand" at this? Why does he need help?

Yes, Paul was an old hand...but experience and expertise aren't what brings people to salvation in Christ....It is the power of the Holy Spirit, through the one sharing. Scripture says, "No one comes to the Son unless the Father draws him". A new baby Christian can share the Gospel. Our 4 year old son who'd been in a children's Bible study program, used to sit outside on the lawn and lead the neighbor children to Jesus.

Paul asked the Church to pray for them so that God may open a door for their message, and that they may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which he was in chains. He was not only asking for prayers for himself alone but for his team mates.

He also asked for prayers so that he may proclaim the gospel clearly as he should.

1.By open doors he meant an opportunity that he will get to declare the Word of God.

2.He also wanted to express his messge as simple and clear as possible for an effective communication between him and those he wanted to preach to.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Colossians 4:3-4) What prayer request does Paul ask of the Colossian believers?

Paul requested prayers be made that God will provide opportunities for him and the other men with him could speak the Word of God and that God will help them proclaim the Word with clarity.

What does it mean to pray for an open door.

The phrase "open door" is opportunities to preach the gospel.

Why does he ask for prayer in communicating the gospel? Isn't he an old hand at this? Why does he need help?

Paul ask for prayer in communicating the gospel because it is the Spirit of God working in him and in the hearer that the words would be effective.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[size="3"]Paul asks clarity in delivering God's word so that the recipients can have a clear understanding. Although Paul may be an "old hand" in communicating the gospel he is delivering the message to "new" people, hoping to convert them into Christians.[/size]

Q2. (Colossians 4:3-4) What prayer request does Paul ask of the Colossian believers? What does it mean to pray for an "open door." Why does he ask for prayer in communicating the gospel? Isn't he an "old hand" at this? Why does he need help

Answer: (Collosians 4;3-4(Amplified)-And at the same time pray for us also, that God may open a door to us for the Word (the Gospel), to proclaim the mystery concerning Christ (the Messiah) on account of which I am in prison;

4That I may proclaim it fully and make it clear [speak boldly and unfold that mystery], as is my duty.

:Paul is requesting prayers for NEW OPORTUNITY to preach the Gospel,TO PROCLAIM THE MYSTERY OF JESUS,AND TO SPEAK BOLDLY AND CLEARLY THAT MYSTERY.

Apostle Paul was in prison,and despite this present situation,he is still hoping that He can continue the Divine Work,for which he was appointed ,as it was revealed to Him,by no less than Messiah himself(Galatians 1:12- For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ).In this case Apostle Paul is not looking at the danger in preaching the Gospel,the same Gospel that leads to His imprisonment,that whenever there is an opportunity,He will still proclaim the Gospel.

Not only proclaiming the Gospel,but He is also asking prayers,for a New Revelation that He will use in Preaching the Mystery of Jesus.He uses the word Mystery here, to emphasize,that the Knowledge of Christ Jesus Salvation through grace is still a Myatery to many people.

And He also ask for clarity,and boldness in preaching the same Gospel.Apostle paul is not a great Speaker,as He had admitted in 1 Corinthians 2:1- And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God

Further,Apostle Paul again emphasize here the Power of Prayer,as the only way for Him to accomplished what God has ordained Him to do,because of His Present Situation(He was in prison)..God has done this to Him before in The Book of Acts chapter 16,verse 25 to 26

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

a)Prayer that Paul &his team will be given opportunities to share the gospel of truth personally with those unbelievers he meets & also that he would have clarity of speech/be able to communicate gospel message in a relevent effective way.Everyday personal evangelism B)

b)Open door- where God creates an opportunity for us to communicate Jesus to others.:)

C)We need to pray asking God to provide such an opportunity in a natural way Luke 11 9-10 Ask &it will be given,seek&you will find.B)

d)He asks God to provide personal opportunities to share gospel in a personal way &to be given right words to be communicate effectively. E)Yes f)He knows without God

• 3 years later...

Q2. (Colossians 4:3-4) What prayer request does Paul ask of the Colossian believers? What does it mean to pray for an open door. Why does he ask for prayer in communicating the gospel?  

Paul is asking for prayers that he  will find doors open to his ministry- to proclaim the Gospel of Christ the Lord.  He is not necessarily praying for personal preaching but for a personal relation to develop so he, Paul will have an opening to evangelize. Recently at community school I was enrolled in a Christian class. At break I met an old friend who seemed agitated. he said he was in a  class that was not going well and didn't know what to do . I suggested that he come in and join our class and he did. Maybe God will speak to him as the class continues with Christian leaders. This is the workings of prayer and the Holy Spirit. 

To pray for an open door is to pray for an opportunity to reach out and help someone in the name of the LOrd.

Prayers supports us, encourages and opens the doors to the Spirit.

Isn't he an old hand at this?  Yet  every person is different

Why does he need help?   We, even Paul (especially?) Paul are human and always need God's help.