JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Conversations with Non-Christians

Q3. (Colossians 4:5-6) What instructions does Paul give us in sharing our faith with non-believers?

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...." (1 Peter 3:15)

Why, do you think, we sometimes let opportunities slip by?

Sometimes we feel unsure or uncomfortable in sharing the gospel.

How will our conversation being "full of grace" help us represent Christ well?

By showing grace is God shows grace towards us, we do not act in a condescending manner, do not judge and do not have the "holier than thou attitude".

I think we let opportunities slip by when we don't think we're prepared to handle it or we're fearful of "doing it wrong". Or we take rejection personally. Or we don't want to invest the time. Or we're so focused on self that we don't even realize the opportunity is there. Or worse, we don't really accept the Truth ourselves. If our hearts are governed by the Law of Love for God and others, I think it will help us see people simply as individuals who bear the crushing burden of their sins alone and desperately need the merciful grace of the Father. That should give us more compassion and courage to seek opportunities to share the gospel with a humble and gracious spirit. And as we are filled with God's grace toward us, we will overflow with more of that quality to others.

What a great answer! I really appreciate your ability to get to the point in a clear and concise manner. Your reasons for missing the opportunity are right on target and so is your solution. Thanks!

Q3 When sharing our faith with non-believers Paul has instructed us the utmost

importance of how to conduct ourselves. We need to be wise and loving. He calls

for practical wisdom and to take full advantage of every opportunity given.

Sometimes we let opportunities slip by because there are Christians who acted in

outrageous ways. They don't portray as loving, open and caring people and when

they speak their conversations are not full of grace. They are at times in a

spiritual warfare in which Satan is seeking to poison people's minds against

Christians.

The ingredients we need to represent Christ well are:

First we need to be 'seasoned with salt' so that it can bring out the taste. Then

we add in lots of love. which are unique tang for our testimony. Next we blend in

a special flavor of grace that the world needs. We need to know our bible well

in order to answer everyone at any eventuality regarding our faith. Finally we

seize the opportunities God gives and be gracious and gentle in our reply.

Q3. (Colossians 4:5-6) What instructions does Paul give us in sharing our faith with non-believers? Why, do you think, we sometimes let opportunities slip by? How will our conversation being "full of grace" help us represent Christ well?

Colossians 4:5-6 - 5Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. 6Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

Paul tells us that we "make the most of every opportunity" to spread the Word, but we have to speak with kindness to the people around us. We also must show by example. If we demonstrate insincerity, then whatever words we say will be hollow to those people. In 1 Peter 3:15, "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...." The reason why we may sometimes let the opportunity slip is being busy and even timid.

Q3. (Colossians 4:5-6) What instructions does Paul give us in sharing our faith with non-believers?

Paul exhorts us to behave wisely, living prudently and with discretion in our relations with nonbelievers, making the most of and seizing every opportunity to make Christ known, and to guard our speech, so that our words are gracious and winsome, seasoned as with salt, and never at a loss to respond to questions. (amplified)

One of my gifts is evangelism, so I share often, but the times that slip by, are when I'm in a hurry and wrongly think that where I'm going is more important than someone's eternal life. Actually I don't have those thoughts at the time, but that's what it boils down to in the end. I've heard others say that they don't share because they don't know scripture, or they feel intimidated or embarrassed, or down right afraid...don't know enough, don't know how to share the Gospel, don't want to offend, or wreck a relationship.

Full of grace, says to me, free from arrogance, judgment, self righteousness, unsavory language......When we represent Christ well, we're speaking the truth in love as He did, with kindness and compassion. He's done so much for and in me that I love to share about His love and His tireless intervention in my life to bring wholeness and healing from every kind of abuse and neglect. He seems to bring those folks to me who have similar issues, and it's easy and a joy to share, about His forgiveness and restoration.

Paul's advice is for Christians to use every opportunity to preach Christ to the non- Christians. We should also be gracious in doing soand whenever we have to answer questions concernig our faith. It means we have do it with love, gentleness and be polite. In short, do it as Christ would do.

Q3. (Colossians 4:5-6) What instructions does Paul give us in sharing our faith with non-believers? Why, do you think, we sometimes let opportunities slip by? How will our conversation being full of grace help us represent Christ well?

What instructions does Paul give us in sharing our faith with non-believers? We are to make use of every opportunity to tell them about Jesus. However, in doing so, we have to be careful when we speak. We should not be condemning or overspiritual. Instead we should speak the truth gracously and in love.

Why, do you think, we sometimes let opportunities slip by? 1) We tend to think that evangelism only takes place in the church, and not in our everyday living, and it is the job of the evangelist or the pastor/church worker. 2) We are afraid that we may sometimes be asked questions that we cannot answer and this may cause people not to believe in the gospel 3) We are also fearful that we might be rejected. 4) We are not God-focused - we do not want to talk about Jesus when we are out of the church. 5) Deep down we know we are not good testimonies.

How will our conversation being full of grace help us represent Christ well? Society as we know now is either depressive, vulgar or callous. By letting our conversations be "full of grace", we are showing the non-believers that we are different. We are not judging them but we understand them and the issues they are facing.

Paul give instruction that our conversation should be full of grace and seasoned with salt. We should speak clearly so that we are understood. I believe we sometimes allow opportunity to slip by because of fear,or lack of understanding of what to say. We ourselves need to be in constant relation with God if we are going to be witnesses for Him. He already knows what we should say should the opportunity arise. Seek God. When we say that we are christians we represent Christ and people tend to watch us very close if we do good or bad Christ is the one who they will judge all over again. Just like when children act up people will say stuff like I can't believe the parents allow the children to behave like that. When we can only be accountable for ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul tells use to let our witness to non-believers be full of grace and of love.

We sometimes let opportunities slip by when we are concerned too much on earthly things and not focused on kingdom living. When we begin to see everyone as God sees them then we will seize every opportunity to witness.

How will our conversation being “full of grace” help us represent Christ well?

When our conversation is “full of grace” we will display the love of Christ. They will see love coming from us and when we tell them that God loves them we can say with confidence that what thwy see in us is only a smidge of the love that God has for them. Then they can believe.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Paul instructs us to be gracious to others without displaying that "holier-than-thou" attitude. We sometimes let opportunities slip by because we aren't sure if we can approach an individual with God's philosophy and because we fear rejection. Being "full of grace" helps us to represent Christ in a positive way because it gives us the opportunity to respond in a gracious and gentle manner.

Q3. (Colossians 4:5-6) What instructions does Paul give us in sharing our faith with non-believers? Why, do you think, we sometimes let opportunities slip by? How will our conversation being "full of grace" help us represent Christ well?

Answer: Paul tells us to be WISE and to SEIZE EVERY OPPORTUNITY,in sharing our Faith with Unbelievers.We sometimes let opportunity slip us,because we are afraid of REJECTION.We always look at ourselves,..

• 3 weeks later...

To be gracious, and not give the impression that we are being defensive, or acting holier-than-thou.

We are afraid we will be rejected or afraid we won't be able to answer questions they might ask.

If our conversations are full of grace, we will be reflecting Jesus, not reflecting on Him. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Colossians 4:5-6) What instructions does Paul give us in sharing our faith with non-believers? Why, do you think, we sometimes let opportunities slip by? How will our conversation being full of grace help us represent Christ well?

Paul is telling the Colossians believers to CONDUCT themselves with wisdom (God's Wisdom)! He is telling believers to WALK in wisdom to be an EXAMPLE of God's will to the outsiders. To use every opportunity given them by God to set an example of God's will, not by words but by deeds! NOT LAW, deed, living example of walking in obedience, redemption,love,faith and forgiveness.

We sometime let opportunities slip by because we use the wrong approach.WE don't use the knowledge God has given us correctly. Just because we have a right answer about something does not mean we need to beat someone over the head with it.

We must present God's word with Grace.Salt was a preservative and it kept things from going bad. Likewise, our speech must be gracious so that it preserves the situation and the opportunity and prevents it from being lost.

*Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned, as it were, with salt, so that you may know how you should respond to each person. Colossians 2 -6

• 3 weeks later...

In light of the recent actions of the cult Westboro Baptist Church (the people who like to protest at funerals and such), these words are extremely relevant. Now since I do consider this group a cult, and not a Christian church, I shouldn't hold them to the same standards that I would hold a group of believers. But it is a good reminder. People absolutely watch our demeanor, and in this jaded world, we DO have opportunities to interact with people with love and hope in Christ. Just last night I rolled my eyes at a guy in a coffee shop who was ranting and raving about politics I didn't agree with. I didn't care if he saw me--in fact, I think I wanted him to. That is not grace and salt. I'm not saying we need to always be happy and agree with everyone; even healthy debate can be seasoned with salt. But my gesture accomplished nothing. I forgot how valuable these opportunities are. We must be alert, think before we speak, even season our body language with salt. God will give us the power to change lives!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

​Following up on his prayer to have doors open to him and to be able to speak freely about the Lord Paul now directs his readers to take every opportunity to proselyte for the lord and to make the most of that opportunity. Opportunities are often missed because we are shy to speak. what follows from the shyness appears to be an embarrassment of the Lord on our part. We are afraid to be ridiculed by those around us. But we should be like Peter "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...."  (1 Peter 3:15) Remember that we are promised to find the right words when we are persecuted. 

So often Christians are seen as : defensive, condescending, hard, legalistic,Manipulative, negative, pushy, uncaring. If we and our conversation is filled with, love, grace, hope and caring than this attitudes will help open people to the Gospel. we must radiate love and hope so people will see us as differemt, holy, set apart from the crowd.