JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Repentance and Christ's Reign

Q4. Why is repentance so central to the Kingdom of God? Why is baptism important to converts to the King? Can Christ reign in an unrepentant heart?

REPENTANCEIS SO CENTRAL TO THE KINGDOM OF GOD, BECAUSE JESUS SAYS WE MUST REPENT. IF WE DON'T REPENT WE CANNOT ENTER HIS KINGDOM............I DON'T REALLY FEEL THAT WATER BAPTISM IS NECESSARY TO FOLLOW OUR KING NOR TO ENTER INTO HEAVEN......WATER BAPTISM IS AN OUTER SIGN OF AN INNER WORK, DEVINE..........SOME FEEL THAT THE WATER BAPTISM IS NECESSARY FOR THEM, AND THAT IS WONDERFUL. I DON'T FEEL THAT THOSE WHO ARE NOT BAPTIZED WITH WATER ARE GOING TO HAVE ANY BETTER CHANCE TO ENTER HEAVEN, THAN ONE WHO IS A BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN AND NOT BAPTIZED WITH WATER. CHRIST CAN WOR ON AN UNREPENTANT HEART, HOWEVER HE CANNOT REIGN IN THEIR HEART, AS THEY HAVE NOT INVITED JESUS INTO THEIR HEART. JESUS WILL NOT FORCE HIMSELF INTO ONE'S HEART.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. Why is repentance so central to the Kingdom of God? Why is baptism important to converts to the King? Can Christ reign in an unrepentant heart?

Sin is a seperator from the things of God. Before God(Jesus)can reside in our lives sin has to be banished. Every hill and mountain shall be brought low, every crooked place straight and the rough places smooth, if His path leads into our lives it must meet these requirements. In order to have a relationship with God we have to be in right standing, in holiness. Baptism is a symbol of washing away, its a step toward Christ.It is a sign of repentance, casting off the sin nature and being raised anew with Christ.

No He cannot reign in an unrepentant heart, an unrepentent heart cannot follow the things of christ. An unrepentant heart represents a person who has another god, one who is of his father the devin.

The kingdom of God is holy and pure, we are living in a sinful world, if repentance is not the central Kingdom of god then, how come our 1st parents were separated from God? It was because of their sinful and rebellious act by disobeying God in the Garden of Eden by eating the forbidden fruit which from that point on, we had inherited that rebellious and sinful nature, the entire theme of the bible and mankind is that we must repent of our sins, and the need for salvation in Christ with his blood and the cross, so God can complete his purpose for our lives, and by repenting and by trust and faith in his son Jesus our lord and Savior, we can live the life God had called/intended us to live, and so once again established that kingdom of God again like it originally was made before the fall of Adam and Eve. Since Jesus the king was baptisted by John the baptist, we should also practice this act to complete that purpose that we had discussed with the other questions, since we acknowledged that baptism as a form of conversion from being unsaved to being saved in christ. Christ is holy, pure and perfect just like our father God, the son can only do what the father does,the answer is no, he can not since it is not his nature to sin and unrepentant heart is sin, and it is not the heart and mind and spirit of God the Father and God the Son - Christ.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q4. Why is repentance so central to the Kingdom of God?

Because where there is no repentance, there can be no remission of sins. In other words, we must be consciously aware of our sins and confess them before God before He is able to deal with our sins. We are forgiven spiritually when we are saved. However, we must also be forgiven naturally, before we can grow with God. This requires that we repent of sin.

Why is baptism important to converts to the King?

How can we claim that we belong to His kingdom if we have not met the requirements. Jesus says that those who DO His word are His.

Can Christ reign in an unrepentant heart?

No. Because the unrepentant heart lives by the desires of the flesh. We must walk in the spirit, so that we are not able to fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

• 4 weeks later...

Repentance is central to the Kingdom of God because the heart is not authentic without it. It is like putting on clean clothes without bathing. The clothes hid the dirt but truth is you are dirty. Repent and cleanse your heart. I believe the Holy Spirit will only live in an authentic heart. Baptism is important because your sins are forgiven and your "life" starts anew. I don't believe Christ can reigh in an unrepented heart.

Repentance is central because for this purpose Jesus came to earth. He paid the penalty of our sins, but we are the ones who have to accept what He is offering us and the first step to that is to believe in Him and to repent to have a change of mind. It is so hard to say and determine that you will not sin again because we will. It is the way it will be for life and then you start to question whether not you have the Spirit of God because you keep falling down so much and having to repent again and again. Belief and repentance means we put our trust in God to conform us into the image of His Son. I have to say that I see water baptism as a physical confirmation of your life of committment to Jesus, an act of obedience to Him. Once a person is saved, believe in Jesus and committed himself to Christ as Savior and Lord, the Holy Spirit is given to a person. To me that is when a person receives the Spirit. Whether there is a second baptism as some say I do not disagree. Being filled with the Spirit changes a person's life, it changes our wants and our desires to the spiritual things. The more we submit to the promptings of the Spirit, the more our hearts and minds are filled with the Spirit. Jesus cannot reign in an unrepentant heart because that person has not committed himself to follow Jesus. You must confess and turn your thinking toward Jesus, that is what repentance is and if you have not done that Jesus will not be your Master. It is at this time that you sincerely believe and repent that God gives you the Holy Spirit which makes it so that Christ can reign in a person, when that person listens for and hears what the Spirit is saying and obeys.

1. Why is repentace so central to the Kingdom of God?

Because it is the way into the Kingdom of Heaven. To not repent of your sins is a sign of rebelling against our LORD. It is to say that I don't have to. It is to say that I don't need to listen. It is to say I reject

the Son of God etc.

2. Why is baptism important to converts to the King?

It is a public show of the one we have accepted.

3. Can Christ reign in an unrepentant heart?

No. Christ reigns in a persons heart when they have truly accpeted HIM.

• 2 months later...

Why is repentance so central to the Kingdom of God?

The Kingdom of God is for the righteous people. So,in order to enter, people should repent their sins.

Why is baptism important to converts to the King?

Baptism is the "cleaning" of the converts and as such in order to enter the Kingdom of God, people should not only repent but should also be baptised.

Can Christ reign in an unrepentant heart?

I think not. Christ although has authority to all, but his reign is for those who repent.

Repentance is central to the Kingdom of God because one has to live right and not partake of evil doings.

Baptism is important to converts to the kingdom because Jesus said we must be born of the water and the spirit.

Christ cannot reign in an unrepentant heart as the person would desire to do things contrary to the will of God.

• 1 month later...

Why is repentance so central to the Kingdom of God? Why is

baptism important to converts to the King? Can Christ reign in an

unrepentant heart?

in ref. to John 3:3-5, if you are not born again of the water and spirit you cannot see nor enter the Kingdom of God.

Without repentance there is no change of Mind, direction and turning from sin which results in not turning to God therefore Faith is not there. Being Baptized in the name of

1) Repentance is so central to the Kingdom of God because we must admit we are sinners. Becoming a follower of Christ means turning away from self centerness and turning our lives over to Christ direction and control.

2) Baptism is important to converts to the King because it is used as a sign of repentance and forgivness.

3) No Christ cannot reign in an unrepentant heart. Christ will not be able to work within us if we have not committed ourselves to Him.

• 9 months later...

When we repent we change our ways, we change our thinking, we admit God’s authority over us. We humble ourselves before God. We show true remorse for our sins. We bow down and re-enter into God’s will and let go of our will and pride. To repent is not to just admit i have done wrong, but to turn away from the behaviour completely

Baptism shows our commitment to God, our obedience to God, it is a public declaration that we accept Jesus as our Saviour. We admit we need Jesus’s Blood to clean us, we cant do it ourselves. We enter into the grave with Jesus, hand over our sins to Jesus and are born again, as we rise out of the water as a new person.

No, if we don’t repent, we didn’t accept God’s authority, we didn’t let go of our will. Our pride is still in control, not God.

• 4 months later...

Only a pure/purified heart can receive the kingdom of God. The holy principles and mindset of that kingdom are polar opposites of those that govern the world; one or the other will rule a heart, but not both. Only a release of the rebellion of the old nature can make room for the new spiritual nature to grow because the two can't occupy the same space. Only a 180o turn can change the direction of one’s eternity from death to life because one cannot go in two directions simultaneously. To me, this is the concept of repentance. It is rejection of the natural realm that leads to death in order to embrace the spiritual realm that leads to everlasting life. Everyone is led either by the leader of this world (by natural default) or by the King of God’s kingdom (by repentance and the grace of salvation). Repentance is critical to the Christian journey start to finish.

Baptism is important as an act of obedience because Jesus commands us to follow His example. It is a public identification with Him that reflects the inner cleansing and transformation by His Spirit. But a ritual of baptism without the purification of repentance is meaningless.

• 7 months later...

Repentance is central because one has to not only repent from sinning but also change their mind and thinking about Christ – who He is and what He did. Jesus was sinless on earth and His followers must be sinless too if they are serious about following Him and Him reigning within them. Baptism is important because it is an outward proclamation of an inward conversion that one has accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior, and the death of the “old man” has taken place, dying with Jesus as He did on the Cross. Can Christ reign in an unrepentant heart…I don’t believe that there can be true fellowship with Him if one’s heart is unrepentant and I believe that un-repentance hinders our prayers.

• 3 months later...

In my thinking, I see repentance as the act by which we leave one kingdom and migrate to another kingdom.  One kingdom is different to the other, and the citizens characterised by very different behaviours and ideologies. To take up new citizenship, one must leave behind their former practises in order to take on the ways of their new kingdom. 

Baptism could be seen as a public declaration of change of citizenship.  It signifies coming under the rule of a new king.  A king will struggle to effectively reign over citizens who have not relinquished the ways of their former kingdom.  These citizens will resent the new king and rebel.  Jesus is not a controlling dictator who demands or forces our obedience.  He will allow us to stand outside of His kingdom and His rule and protection rather than lock the gates once we’re in so we can never escape.  My short answer, no I don’t think He can reign in an unrepentant heart. 

• 8 months later...

Repentance is central to the Kingdom of God because a rebirth into the Kingdom occurs when you repent.  Baptism is important because it is an outward sign of an inner commitment.  I do not believe Christ can reign in an unrepentant heart because you must chose to serve him or the evil one. You cannot sit on the fence.  You must decide!

• 1 year later...

A.

For John, people would have to "repent for the kingdom is at hand" (Mat. 3:2).  They would have to change their mind which would bring about a new direction for their life in order to welcome the King/Kingdom.

Mat. 3:2 "And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" (KJV).

Mat. 4:17 "From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" (KJV).

​For John, if people wanted to get serious about the King and the Kingdom, the starting point would be "repent."  They would not be able to claim the merits of Abraham and would have to submit to the same baptism that they required of proselytes.  They would also have to show some fruit of their seriousness about the King and His Kingdom by being baptized.

For Jesus, if people want to get serious about Him and His Kingdom, the starting place is to "repent."  "We cannot be serious about the Reign of Christ if we don't turn from our sins."1

B.

When converts are baptized, they submit to the power and authority of the King.  They take on an identity of submission and possession to the King.

When Jesus came to John to be baptized, it was "to fulfill all righteousness" (Mat. 3:15).  It may refer to "solidarity with John's call for repentance to prepare for the kingdom."1  But our author brings out that "it is Jesus' identification with all those who are being baptized, having responded to John's call for repentance."1

For the Creator who knew no sin, "did no sin" (1 Pet. 2:22), and had no sin, to identify with a retched sinner like me is almost beyond understanding.  And to think that I am slow to repent is down right staggering.  I cannot but think that the Kingdom has demands and "repentance" is one of them if I want to get serious and make up my mind which side of the fence I want to be on.

C.

My answer is no, for I cannot see how both could reign at the same time.  Sin causes a separation.  For me "repentance" asks for a changed mind about self, sin, and God.  The question being will I dethrone myself that Christ may take the throne?  The answer has to be yes.

I am asked to "deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me (Christ)" (Mat. 16:24).  The way I look at it is that I have to "deny" the throne for Christ has to reign on it.  I must submit that He may possess.

I can see no way that Christ can reign in an unrepentant heart!

1. Lesson material--Dr. Wilson.

• 4 years later...
On 9/16/2010 at 2:32 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. Why is repentance so central to the Kingdom of God? Why is baptism important to converts to the King? It is reasonable to expect that if you were to join with Christ in the Kingdom, you have to be able to repent for your sins. Without it, we would be looking at Heaven full of persons who sin and harm others without there being any accountability for their actions.  Baptism is am assurance that the person coming into the Kingdom has been cleansed of all their past sins.

Can Christ reign in an unrepentant heart? No. The God of righteousness cannot reign over someone refuses to change from their evil ways.

• 3 years later...

Matthew ch 4v17  Repent (means  change your way of thinking.  You have to think opposite of the way you have been taught) because the KINGDOM of  God is near (has come to earth,  has arrived)  So living the  KINGDOM of God you got to think,  act and believe opposite of what you been taught.   If the thinking doesn't change, the man doesn't change, because your Life and mind won't.   Gal ch3v27  We are Baptized into Christ,   put on Christ.