JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalm 69

Q2. (Psalm 69:30-32) Why does this lament (and nearly all laments in the Psalms) end with an upswing of hope and praise? What does this teach us about our own laments and prayers? Why is praise, the language of faith, so important in our prayers, especially prayers of desperate pleas for help?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Psalm 69:30-32) Why does this lament (and nearly all laments in the Psalms) end with an upswing of hope and praise?

David knew God. He knew that God desires praise and thanksgiving from His people. He knew that after going through all the stressful problems of life, God was still in control and watching over him.

What does this teach us about our own laments and prayers?

We should not settle in and stew in a pity party. Trust in God and turn all cares over to Him, he'll take care of you.

Why is praise, the language of faith, so important in our prayers, especially prayers of desperate pleas for help?

Praise is the language of faith and it is so important in our prayers because it shows our confidence in an awsome, all-powerful, loving and merciful God. God inhabits the praises of His people and as our praises go up He sends the blessings down.

Q2. (Psalm 69:30-32) Why does this lament (and nearly all laments in the Psalms) end with an upswing of hope and praise? What does this teach us about our own laments and prayers? Why is praise, the language of faith, so important in our prayers, especially prayers of desperate pleas for help?

When David says, "May your hearts live!" he means " You will feel glad and joyful ." Most people want lasting joy and will try almost anything to obtain it, from scrambling for more money to be involved in all kinds of worldly escapades. The only genuie source of happiness is God, and we receive lasting joy only by seeking Him .

Seek God and live as He directs you. ( Matthew 6:33- 34 ) , and true joy will soon follow.

When we are praising God, We are showing we trust Him and it causes our Faith to rise and brings encouragement to our spirit. When I am down I play my praise tapes and sing in the Spirit. Pretty soon the dark cloud of doubt and dispair are put under the things that has brought me down. Joy comes into place.

I feel this psalm, like others, ends with an upswing of hope and praise, because David remembers that God's grace is greater than all his sin. As someone once said "the uplook is always better than the outlook" and when David looked up to God, I feel it changed him inwardly. To me this is a great reminder that the same God David loved and served is the same God that is active in our world and my life this day, so I have the same hope available to me.

Heb 13:15 (CEV) says "Our sacrifice is to keep offering praise to God in the name of Jesus." There is just something about praise that lifts one's spirit. It seems that when we give praise our spirit is lifted as it is joined with the Spirit of God. Then we can see our situation(s) more clearly as we gain perspective from His point of view.

1) Because David remembers that God is the almighty. Like most laments in the Psalms, this psam turns from complaint and misery to faith with an upswing at the end. David did not stay in his pit of misery, but climbs out through praise. He understood that faith is more pleasing to God than going through the outward rituals of atonement and cleansing. This ways, he talls use that we should express our love to him with praise and with a thanksgiving heart.

2) Just as David did, we should stay in our pit of misery and not knowing what direction we should go. We should turn our eyes upon God and seek him for guidance so that we will be able to receive his ultimate blessings and have a joyful life. With the Holy Spirit in our body, God will guide us and provide all our needs. Praising God also bring encouragement into our life and praise can be in many forms such as singing, reading the bible and even spreading the gospel. I strongly recommend to increase our level of faith in God so that we will not dispair when something negative happens.

Why do the Psalms always end in an upswing of hope and praise? It is because we are not to wallow in our own misery, God does not want us to eternally chastise ourselves for our own wrongdoing, but instead to exalt His Grace, His mercy...to praise Him for lifting us out of our sin and elevating us to join Him. When we wallow, we're not glorifying God at all, instead what we are doing is ingratiating ourselves, glorying in our sin. God does not wish this for us, if He did, He wouldn't offer us a place in eternity beside His Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ. God doesn't wish to consign anyone to hell, He would have all of us join Him, it is we humans who choose our eternal fate, out of our own pride, our own intent to 'do it ourselves'.

By praise, we express our faith in knowing that God can lift us out of any pit that we've dug for ourselves...can redeem us from the words of accusation that haunt us when we are less than expected by others. It is not through our own efforts that we rise to positions of privilege, it is by God's Grace...we should not start to worship our own effort instead of turning our praise to the One who is truly responsible. Too often we view ourselves as 'self-made' men and women...and at the peak of our praising ourselves we usually encounter the sudden cliff that appears from nowhere and casts us down, exposing us, our families and our friends to the painful words of those who glory in our downfall.[/color]

Some of this I already touched on yesterday.

Regarding the

When crying out to the Lord in sorrow or grief, even despair, it is that moment when we are asking Him to extend His great love to us once more. It is a plea to take away a huge burden from our being. The Psalms, by ending with hope and praise teach us that we must exercise our faith by so doing. After all, if we have faith enough to bring our lament to the Lord, we should have the ability to praise Him for taking our burden away, before hand. How could He not respond to such faith?

My experience of praising God is that it entirely changes my day, my personality on that day, my functioning also. Hebrews 4 tells us clearlyto make sure that we enter God's rest. We do this in praise. His response is to rest our tormented spirit - and we function on another level. When we consign our fears to God, He takes our circumstance and give sus, in its place, His shalom. This lament exhibits that.

Praise acknowledges that God is greater than circumstance or anything else that bothers us. It puts our faith squarely where it belongs - in God. It takes our point of reference (ourselves) away and puts the Almighty in its place, expanding our vision beyond the immediate. It gives God precedence, not only over circumstances, but over our response to them. That is extreme power!

Praise, the language of Faiith

When a new piece of technology comes out that excites people, they talk incessantly about it and very soon everybody has one. Someone discovers a good product, puts their faith in it by purchasing it, finds it praiseworthy and tells everyone, and soon everyone is buying it also. When we find something great we talk it up - both to ourselves and to others. Praise of God is no less a weaponl The more we talk in terms of HIs praise, the more we are implanted in Him and His ways of dealing with things. It changes our whole mindset from self-orientation to orientation around Jesus. This is then the sign for Him to operate in our lives.

Q2. (Psalm 69:30-32) Why does this lament (and nearly all laments in the Psalms) end with an upswing of hope and praise?

David becomes more aware of God's grace and mercy which is greater than sin. David as well as us may go through self pit and lament as we grieve our sins but once we accept God's forgiveness and grace this pity turns to hope and praise.

We should praise God often and thank Him for His mercy. We are sorry for our sins and ask forgiveness and then in faith, we accept this forgiveness and praise God.

Why is praise, the language of faith, so important in our prayers, especially prayers of desperate pleas for help?

As we praise God, we show our hope and faith in His forgiveness. We glorify God in praise and trust that He will be present and guide us in our times of distress. As we sing praises, prayer and read the Word, we find joy and in this joy, we can let go of our misery and can be thankful.

Q2. (Psalm 69:30-32) Why does this lament (and nearly all laments in the Psalms) end with an upswing of hope and praise? What does this teach us about our own laments and prayers? Why is praise, the language of faith, so important in our prayers, especially prayers of desperate pleas for help? BECAUSE WE HAVE TO BELIEVE IN GOD THAT HE WORKS EVERYTHING OUT FOR THE GOOD!

WE JUST HAVE TO KEEP BELIEVING AND PRAISE GOD AND IN EVEN BAD TIMES ..THE LORD HEARS YOU!

This lament and most laments in the psalms end in an upswing because they know that faith expressed by praise and thanksgiving is pleasing to God and brings them up from the pit of misery they are in.

This teaches us that our laments and prayers should end with praise to God for who He is and thanksgiving for all He has done and our faith will be restored in God.

Praise is important in our prayers because God inhabits praise and that will give us faith that god can deliver or help us with any problem we face,no matter how large or difficult.

These laments express the depression and oppression a person carries with them--especially if they have sinned. Then they look up to God & realize His love & mercy to save.

Our own laments can and should be expressed to God. He already knows when we are suffering. But then "God".....stop looking down and look up...up to God! He is our Savior & restorer. We can choose to look up & believe what God has said!

Praise is recognizing the attributes of God and that He is more than able to deliver us & restore our relationship with Him. When I am praising God, I find it hard to be in my depressing frame of mind.

Praise should begin & end our day.

(Psalm 69:30-32) Why does this lament (and nearly all laments in the Psalms) end with an upswing of hope and praise? When we have a true heart for God, we are never without hope for our hope is in Him.

What does this teach us about our own laments and prayers? When we have a true heart heart and relationship with God, we know we can come before Him with praise and thanksgiving for all things - for only He can take what is meant for evil and make it good. God is our only hope.

Why is praise, the language of faith, so important in our prayers, especially prayers of desperate pleas for help? We are told in scripture to come before God with praises and thanksgiving - "in all things give thanks" - He alone is the author and finisher of our faith and it is through these experiences that we come to know how powerless we are without Him which is exactly where he wants us. If we could save ourselves, we wouldn't need Him or relationship with Him, or faith, or mercy, or grace. But we cannot save ourselves. Jesus chose to die for our sins rather than to allow us to die in sin - no greater love is there than this that a man would lay down his life for another.

After voicing their complaints with the lamanet they again recognize all their blessings that God has given them. God loves praising constantly especially after when we are full of ourselves we turn and our eyes and ears are open.

David know who his God is and that He wants our praise and worship as well as the things that trouble us. He knows that no matter what he brings before God that he must also bring praise because God prefers our praise to sacrifice.

This teachs us that we can bring any thing before God even our pains and hurt feelings, our anger at others and our fears,but once we have brought those we must also bring praise and thanksgiving because we know that all thing come from the Father of lights and that He will bring us our needs as we seek to please Him in our worship and praise.

praise is important because it allows us togive back something to God and to let us remember that He is our creator and must always come first. He is our provider and our praise is for uplifting our prayers before God. God wants us to put Him first and will keep His promises to us as we bring our praise and worship before Him.

We are only human, sinful and powerless, God often puts in a place where we sense our powerlessness, we cry out to God acknowledging our absolute dependance on Him, that we can push away self and let God take control. He then lifts us out of the deep waters and hope is illuminated and we ring out our prayer, praise and worship. Our praise prayer and worship is pleasing to God. There is no room in our hearts for both hate and God. When we give it over to God, there is room to be filled with things of God.

It please God and it shows that we are dependent on him, totally. This lament ends with an upswing of hope and praise to show us that trouble do not last always. This gives us hope to continue on in God regardless. When we come through we should praise, honor and thank God for the victory. There are time it looks like all hope is gone we can go to God in prayer.

It is a comfort to know that he listen and loves us. What to blessing to know our prayers will be answer in a way that is best for us.

It pleases God when we are thankful and honor him. He is worthy. We should remain faithful and obedient.

The Psalmist understands that God is hope, God is love, God is mercy, and whatever we are going through, God is with us and will never leave us. That gives us a feling of hope, which we can express with praise.

However much we moan, however tough the situation is, we must always remember waht the Word tells us, to make our requests with thanksgiving, knowing that He is a prayer answering God. Indeed, we all have been there before, when all was wrong, and all we wanted was to sit in our miseries and moan, but this psalm teaches me to remember the goodness of God, becasue He has always pulled through for me!

when the please are desparate, we must remember that God is good, and in things we must give thanks, for that is God's will for us in Christ Jesus. a bible teacher once told me that faith meant that I had to judge God faithful, remember His faighfulness, and in asking, ask in faith, knowing that He has already been there, and will be there for me again, and that called for praise!

The way these laments are build shows that there is always light at the end of a tunnel. The Psalmist pours out his soul - knowing very well that God is listening and will take him out of his misery. He knows that what he is going through will pass away. It is pointless to wallow in self pity but hope keeps one going. And it is this hope from God that the Psalmist is banking on to overcome the misery. Sometimes, talking to God just releases whatever burdens one has. Confiding in God is like a de-stress programme.

And praises help us to get out of the pit of unworthiness, self-centredness. It is like a healing process for the soul. By giving God glory, we are telling the Satan that there are no problems to big that my God cannot solve it. It is an open declaration that my God will see me through this.

:P

Why does this lament (and nearly all laments in the Psalms) end with an upswing of hope and praise?

* David gain insight to the future and the hope for his people. That salvation was coming that would save his nation not just as king, but as a man. As revelation must of come to him of Jesus and how lost these people were and how crazy they must of thought he had become, he found comfort in the face of God and the faithfulness that would save all. How could you not end this up in praise. Is not our hope in the coming of our Lord to do the same.

* As we begin to seek Him and turn our pains and the warfare over to Him, who He is begins to illuminate in our hearts and from there to our soul (our mind, will and emotions). As we continue to pray and find help and feel comfort then our prayers turn into praise.

* We must praise Him for His mighty power, that has or will deliver us from all enemies. ( body, soul and from the demonic side of our spiritual walk)

David knew God. Therefore, David knew that God desires thanks and praise from his followers. After his trials, David knew that God was in control of his life and caried for him.

We can learn from David. When life gets tough, we should have faith and trust in God. Feeling sorry for ourselves and getting angry with ourselves or others usually does not help. God can and will help us.

By praising him, our faith increases, God is glorified, and our spirits rise.

In order to have relief we have to first bring our burdens to the Lord. Once we've humbled ourselves to the Lord and poured our hearts out, then in faith we can praise his name and have hope. This is the perfect way to come to the Lord in prayer. There is no need in praying if we don't believe he will hear our prayers and help. We know that he desires our praises and thanks. I heard someone say this week, "Think about what your thinking about." If we don't praise him then we're letting the devil fill our heads with doubts.

David know who his God is and he is aware of God`s grace and mercy which is greater than his sin. God wanted our praise and worship more when we are in trials so that we can toally dependent on Him by faith. When we have a true heart for God, we will always have hope in Him.

This teachs us that we can bring any thing before God like our pains ,hurts , anger and fears. We know that all things come from above and our praise is for uplifting our prayers before God. God wants us to put Him first and will keep His promises to us as we bring our praise and worship before Him.

As we praise God, we show our hope and faith in His forgiveness. We glorify God in praise and trust that He will be present and guide us in our times of distress. It pleases God when we are thankful and honor him. We should always remain faithful and obedient to Him.

The Psalms end with an upswing of hope and praise, because David understood that faith expressed by praise and thankgiving is more pleasing to God than going through the outward rituals of atonement and cleansing.

It teaches us that when we are overwhelmed by our circumstances, we should pour out our soul to God, tell him what we are feeling. then praise him and give him thanks.