JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Mary's Response to the Angel

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel? What can we learn from her response for our own lives? In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"? When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

I believe Mary's reponse to Gabriel is one of total submission to the will of God! How could it be anything other than that?! As was stated in the text, here Mary was, a peasant girl, certainly not used to visitation by an Angelic creature, let alone one who stands in the presents of the Most High God...I am sure that at that very moment she may not have even understood that very fact. Imagine the utter shock and surprise. Not to mention when Gabriel told her all of the things he did, Mary certainly must have been quite overwhelmed. The Bible doesn't say precisely what her upbringing was like, however, we have a pretty good idea that because of the times, customs etc, she was probably raised to do what she was told, especially when it was God doing the telling, and she certainly wasn't going to question an Angel from God. She indeed was going to submit herself to the will of the Most High God, and do what ever He wanted her to do, feeling very, very blessed to be chosen by God to carry out His plan. God will provide for what ever circumstances may arise. She knew that. If we only respond to God's will with the same trust and faith that Mary did, we soon realize God's Sovreignty as well. God is in control, He will never fail.

Mary's response is one of humble submission to whatever God has planned for her. We can learn to be like her in allowing God to be the master and submitting to his rule in our lives. When we respond to God we consent to living as He would have us live, to obedience to what He wants us to do, to set aside our personal desires and take up His goals and plans for our lives.

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel? What can we learn from her response for our own lives? In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"? When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

Mary accepted what God was doing not for her but for the rest of us. We can learn from that Mary if that God calls us we must go and do what He has asked us to do. The response that Mary gave was a "informed consent," and like I said, "When God calls, as Christians, we must make the response or denied God forever.

Mary was at a point of submission to God, not in word only but in deed. It's easy as Christians today to say I will submit to God, but when push comes to shove, am I willing to deny my will and allow God to have his plan in my life? Our response to God is full surrender even in our lack of understanding, believing as Robert T. Ketcham said, "Your heavenly Father is too good to be unkind and to wise to make mistakes."

at great risk to herself mary accepted Gods will for her life at that time a pregnancy out of wedlock was punishable by death yet mary trusted God to do what He proposd for her and to protect her . to submit and be willing inspite of great danger and inconvenience to herself was trully remarkable .she had a trully submisssive and accepting heart open to Gods will at any cost

Also, there will be perilous times to come for all christiandom. The roman persecution, the end times where we will be persecuted for submitting to God through Jesus Christ. This lends us a great example (like many in the bible) of how we know it will be a dangerous trek, but the end of the trek is everlasting life...take the blessing and RUN WITH IT!

I am blown away by Mary's willingness and obedience to Gabriel's message. Here is a young teenager, accepting this role all the while knowing she could be rejected or punished for having Jesus out of wedlock.

Without hesitation, she submits to God, I pray I have the courage and faith she displayed.

Mary submitted herself to God.

We should take what Mary did and submitt ourselves unto God not in word only but in deed.

She gave an informed consent due th the fact that the angel told her exactly what would happen and she said be it unto me according to thy word.

If we commit ourselves to God then we should tell God do it unto me as you will.

= Mary's response to the Angel is her willingness to submit humbly to the will of God. :P

= We should response to God as Mary did. Yielding, submitting humbly to God's will. ;)

= Whatever the words tell's us, we must said be unto me according to your word. but we must do our part, we must put it unto practice. as James said "faith is dead w/out deeds". :lol:

= If we response to God's command, we must not forgot that we are His servant, always ask His will be done. :lol:

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel?

I think the essence is- that she viewed her life as belonging to God. The word servant (doule is the feminine version of the male doulos) can be translated slave or Bond-servant. Aristotle spoke of a doulos as merely being a human tool, that of course is the Greek view and the Hebrew view of a bond servant was something a bit different, after 7 years a Bondservant choose either freedom or to servant their master permanently (because they loved serving that master and had found kindness-for the whole picture see Deut 15ff) anyhow Mary saw her self as God

Mary's response was "May it be to me as you have said". That God knows best and we should let him lead our lives instead of trying to do it ourselves. She knew what was going to happenand she knew what people would think but she was willing to do it any way for God. When we respond to God we consent to do as he asks.

Mary's response was that of a willing servant. She was humble and willing to do as the Lord ask. This is the way we should be.

The angel explained to her how and what would happen and she willingly agreed. When we say yes to God we agree to do things his way, even if we don't understand.

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel?

It shows total and absolute submission to the Will of God.

What can we learn from her response for our own lives?

We need to trust God and His decisions for our lives, just as Mary did.

In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"?

She gave her consent even though Gabriel told her everything that was going to happen.

When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

We consent to live the way God wants. We submit to His Will for our lives. :rolleyes:

Mary's positive response to the angel shows her faith and belief in God. She doesn't once doubt and worry about the consequences for her, instead she puts her faith and trust in God. For Mary this was a huge thing and she trusted God, yet we fail to trust Him for even the little things.

Mary's response shows her decision to trust in the Lord and submit her whole life to Him. God has a plan and Mary trusted in His plan for her life.

When we respond to God we are consenting to do His will. To be His servant and do what He requires of us - whether we understand it or not, whether we want to or not To open ourselves to Him!

Mary's response is total faith and dedication, before she had time to 'analize' it or 'think it through'. As the lesson said, her cost could have been very great if others didn't have the same faith as her.

Accepting what God gives me when it is not what I was expecting is difficult for me sometimes, and I am working on placing my faith into the fact that God knows better than me. Even if this really isn't the best solution in the short run, it will be in the long run.

Mary's response was 'informed consent' since she could have responded in an unaccepting or doubtful way. She could have denied the risk out of fear or disbelief.

Consenting to God is to take the hand that he deals you, and be greatful. We acknowledge the superiority of his will for us over our sinful nature.

I like the idea of accepting God's will for us as consent, I hadn't thought of it that way before. It reminds me that I have a very active part, but that part isn't always making the decisions.

What is the essence of Mary's positive response? Faith & Belief

We can learn the wonderful feeling of God's will in our lives. If we don't have faith and don't fully believe, His will may never be known to us.

The angel explained to her what was to happen to her and how it was to happen. Great care was taken in making sure she understood.

What do we consent to? God's will, course.

I think Mary's positive response came from faith and a great love of God. Any pregnant teenager would have been humiliated, but in all other cases the pregnancy would have been a result of her own actions. In Mary's case, she did nothing to cause herself to be in a very humiliating situation. How could she explain this? Would her family and friends believe her? And understand?

What can I learn? I shouldn't be so concerned about what people think of me. If God is guiding me to serve Him in some way, I should ALWAYS do what He asks me to do.

"informed consent" - Mary know what was being asked of her and she agreed to be the person God used to complete His plan.

What do I consent to? - Sometimes being a square peg in a round hole. Sometimes being the only one seen as a "goody two shoes" Sometimes working harder than I want to work. But always trying to submit my will to God's will

I think that of all the characters in the Bible besides Jesus Himself, Mary was truly the most subservient to God. When I hear my Catholic friends saying their "Hail, Mary, full of grace!" I understand exactly how they feel. We often say that it is hard in the secular world that contains us to actually obey God to the fullest. What a cop-out! Because of my Wesleyan roots, when I read about Mary, I think of John Wesley's Covenant Prayer: I am no longer my own but thine. Put me to what thou wilt; rank me with whom thou wilt. Put me to doing, put me to suffering. Let me be employed by thee or laid aside by thee, exalted for thee or brought low by thee. Let me be full, let me be empty. Let me have all things, let me have nothing. I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal. And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, thou art mine and I am thine. So be it, and the covenant which I have made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven. Amen.

The essence of her positive response is that she didn't mind for world, what someone will say, think or do to her - she can be stoned at that time if she is pregnent and still not married. She said YES, and she accepted all God's wanted without reasoning or asking something in return or offering her conditions. I think that is the thing we must learn for our livs -to say yes to God when He has some plan with our lives.

Mary was informed about the way of her conception, but I think it was no information at all because it is something totally strange and unacceptable without aith even in our times.

When we consent to God we consent to ALL He has in plan - we never know how big, little, longterm or difficult it will be, but with our faith we have the courage to do so.

Mary completely submitted herself to God's will, without thought or fear of consequence. We learn that in order for Yahweh to fully accomplish that which He would do in us we too must give ourselves over to him, totally.

Being satisfied by Gabriel's answer to her question Mary allowed herself to be impregnated by the Holy Spirit. As we submit to the Lord we allow the Holy Spirit to fill us thereby walking in His will, not fullfilling the needs of the flesh or the desires thereof.

Mary knew that God was asking her to serve Him, and she willingly obeyed.

What we can learn from Mary is that: Don