JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. A Glorious Church

The Church is " glorious " or resplendent in the present era by the following reasons :-Because of what holds it together a bond of Love for God , for christ , and for one another .

The Church is glorious because it makes it possible for the world to see God's wisdom .

The Church is glorious because in we find en ternal life - Note , Church is not savior , Jesus Christ is and works through Church

• 6 months later...

Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her, to present her to Himself as honored, shining and without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish. Christ is washing the chuirch with water, through the Word to make her Holy. Christ feeds and cares for the church.

That He feeds and cares for the church to me means this is a process now happening and we will be presented in the future as perfect. The body of Christ looks forward to the day when imperfection gives way to perfection. We will be presented to our heavenly bride groom in radiant spotlessness.

It helps me to understand this when I remember learning that we have our salvation, we are working towards our salvation, for our salvation yet to come.

Christ died for our sins washing them away, yet He feeds and cares for us today as we work towards our salvation and there is a perfected salvation yet to come. A completed work.

• 6 months later...
Q5. (Ephesians 5:27) In what sense is the Church "glorious" or "resplendent"? Is Paul talking about the present era or when Christ comes? How do you determine this? Exposition

The church is glorious in that it is the Bride of Christ. Holy and separate for HIM. This is done by the power of the Blood. It is only the Blood of Jesus that makes us glorious or holy.

I think Paul is talking about the present era, and when Christ comes. The church in this present era must be glorious to a point. If it is not why would any one want to be a part of it? It is glorious now because of the Word of God that is being taught and preached in it. It is glorious now because of the saints of God who meet there and who walk around in this present world reaching the lost and praying for the sick, and helping those in need. It is glorious when Christ comes back because it will be filled with ALL HIS glory. Every hold that sin may have or trying to have will have to let go and the church will shine as she goes forth to meet her Lord and Savior on that glorious day when He comes!

• 4 months later...

Q5. (Ephesians 5:27) In what sense is the Church "glorious" or "resplendent"?

The Church is "glorious" or "resplendent" in the sense that it has already been cleansed spot-free and wrinkle-free. Christ has already forgiven and cleansed us. He has already made us holy and without blemish in his sight. He has washed away our sins.

Is Paul talking about the present era or when Christ comes? How do you determine this?

Paul is talking about the present era. The Church universal has already been santified and set aside for God's use.

• 4 months later...

Q5. (Ephesians 5:27) In what sense is the Church "glorious" or "resplendent"? Is Paul talking about the present era or when Christ comes? How do you determine this?

A church is glorious and/or resplendent as it reflects the glory of God; submits its will to the will of God; and serves the Lord in love and joy/gladness.

I think this verse can apply both to the present era and ultimately when Jesus comes again. We as individual Christians and as a body of Christ should daily strive to honor Him and give Him our best-- in word and deed.

• 1 month later...

I see the church as the Bride of Christ. When I was growing up, girls were taught to look forward to getting married. The wedding gown was imagined to be like no other dress ever seen before but most of all it was to be white, unmarked, unscarred, unwrinkled...perfect. This is how the Church as the Bride of Christ should be.....perfect, holy, blameless.

I think that Paul is talking about the future church....after Christ has come. In Ephesians 5:27, it says "To present her to himself..." We are still awaiting His second coming, so we have not been presented yet. I don't think that we are ready anyway. Maybe I am disillusioned by what I have seen in the churches that I have belonged to and/or associated with. I sometimes jokingly say....If I had not known Jesus before I met/worked with some the Christians that I have come to know, I don't think that I would make much of an effort to know who this God is that they claim to love, worship, and serve. That to me is a sad thing to say and I often wonder how many people do we/I adversely affect with our/my un-Christlike ways.

• 3 months later...

Ephesians 5:27 - In what sense is the Church "glorious" or "resplendent"? Is Paul talking about the present or when Christ comes? How do you determine this?

That he might present her to Himself a glouious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. In these verses, Paul briefly outlines what Jesus has done for the Church. First of all, He loved the church so much, that He was willing to suffer and die for it. His actions not only saved the church, they also sanctified it. In other words, Jesus wanted to develop the church into what it should be, th eholy temple of God.

• 3 weeks later...

In Christ's death and resurrection the Church became glorious and resplendent. From that moment until eternity that is how God sees and responds to the Church.

Already made perfect, spotless in God's sight through the blood of Jesus - says the Word- we simply have to learn to walk in it as God would have us. This perfecting is an ongoing transformation that the Church has to grow into and accept as apart of our reality. It is like minor league pitcher destined for the Hall of Fame still struggling to get to the majors- he already possess all that he needs to be that great pitcher, he has yet to realize his full potential and exercise that power in the present.

The church is made glorious by the Word which is the process of sanctification, rendering us acceptable to God.

The present age is the time between the Lord's last visit and the visit forthcoming. The scriptures are always present tense.

• 1 year later...
Q5. (Ephesians 5:27) In what sense is the Church "glorious" or "resplendent"? Is Paul talking about the present era or when Christ comes? How do you determine this? Exposition

The Church is 'positionally' perfect and forgiven and cleansed. Have you all read Revelation? Read about the church of Ephesus.

Jesus indicated that church was in danger of losing their light because 'they left their first love'....we need to wake up.

I love the Church but she is dozing....

• 1 month later...

5. (Ephesians 5:27) In what sense is the Church "glorious" or "resplendent"? Is Paul talking about the present era or when Christ comes? How do you determine this?

"... To present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless." (5:27)

This verse brings back the picture of a bride and groom. Through the sacrifice of blood, Christ has cleansed the Church, his bride. The Church is glorious or resplendent in the future. Yet, we are forgiven and cleansed in the now. Christ has paid the price to make the Church holy and without blemish. We need to act on this. We know this by his word.

• 1 year later...

We represent Christ's glory here on earth.

To be with Christ in future, we already have to be with Him in life.

We need to persevere, always.

• 2 months later...

Q5.(Ephesians 5:27)

In what sense is the Church "glorious" or "resplendent"?

When it reaches perfection and is holy and without blemish.

Is Paul talking about the present era or when Christ comes?

When Christ comes.

How do you determine this?

When He Himself presents the Church to Himself

• 7 months later...

Pastor Ralph says, "we need to begin looking at the present-day church in the way Christ looks at it. Christ has already forgiven and cleansed us. He has already made us holy and without blemish in his sight. He has washed away our sins. We need to start living like what we are."

In this sense the church is glorious and resplendent in God's eye right now. The glory, purity and splendor of Christ's bride will be fully revealed to us when He returns and we celebrate at the marriage supper of the Lamb of God.

• 2 months later...

a. Christ made the church glorious by His washing us with His blood to clean us from sin. We must remember, the church is not a bulding, but a people. Not just in our town, but worldwide.

b. When Christ comes, we will each individual, be presented. Not as a group, but each person. Will we be worthy? Ready?

c. We are answerable to God as individuals. We can't get our sins forgiven except thru Jesus. It is important to meet, study and learn from other Christians, but we stand alone except for Christ on judgement day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Christ created the church here on earth. He gave it His blessings. He put His heart into it. That in itself makes it glorious. However, the church is made up of people that God created. Even though we make mistakes, God still loves us and He has saved us and He gives us glory. I feel that Paul was talking about a church today that is alive and wonderful in God's eyes. And I also believe that Paul was talking about the next church that will be created when Christ returns.

• 2 months later...

the church is glorious and radiant in the same sense as we Christians R glorious and radiant before God. on the day of judgement as Jesus us before Godcovered in a gown of gloriousness and righteousness.we are then considered righteous before God. in the same fashion the church as precented by God to Christ is named glorious and radiant before God by the actions of Christ and God.

• 3 years later...
On 5/29/2003 at 8:26 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The Church is to be beautiful and glorious without blemish or anything out of place.  Paul is talking about the Church in the future when Christ comes back in His Glorious Spirit.  Because many Churches have allowed things not acceptable to God like homosexuality, Satan is trying to get in the Church.  He will be defeated though when Jesus Christ comes back to gather people together to Armageddon where the beast and the false prophet are taken and cast into the lake of fire and brimstone.  Then Satan is bound for a thousand years.  

• 2 years later...

In what sense is the church "glorious"and resplendent?

Paul is talking about the present church.Jesus Christ is the one who loved the church that He gave his life for us so that we might be made Holy.

That means day by day as we read the word of God and meditate upon upon the word of God we are being washed and cleansed by the purifying water of His word.As long as the church we can stay pure to Him.

On the last day when He comes as the bride He will represent us as the glorious and splendid church in heaven.