JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Moses Responds to God's Call

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Exodus 3:10-12) Does Moses� response to God�s call reflect a low self image, true humility, or lack of faith? How does God reassure him? How does God reassure us when we are called to impossible situations?

This passage IMO reflects only Moses' lack of faith and low self image. There are many reason for Moses to feel like a looser:

• being taken from his family in the childhood
  • raising in environment that considers his race to be suitable for extermination
  • not accepted and betrayed by his people (even though he tried to help them)
  • on the run because of a crime
  • living away in another country and feeling there as a foreigner
  • not having his household (pasturing his father-in-law's flock)
  • being raised and educated to be a leader while not used anything of his potential (working as a shepheard)
  • living a lonely life in pastures far away from settlements

Also his experience with Hebrews seems to be so strong that most of his objections are directed toward not acceptance by Hebrews, not by the Pharaoh.

His fear is so strong that inspite all his objections are answered by God, his response is "Send someone else".

• 1 month later...

Moses had demostrated lack of faith when god had called him to liberate the israelites,he questioned god judgement to send a lowly person who had done wrong so many yrs earlier. God had reassured moses that he would be with him no matter how impossible it seemed,god knew that moses could do this through faith in god. God reassues us when we seek him and pray deeply that his will be done in our lives.

• 3 months later...

Moses was being honest. I believe he was showing humility during this time. Why? Moses had a fairly god understanding of 'gods' while in Egypt. He did not know the true and living God. The God of Isaac and Jacob. Moses was actually saying 'who am I to go to Pharoah'? He thought he was in no shape to approach the mighty Pharoah.

God assures him "I will be with thee'. What an assurance, to have the almighty God with us through all our situations.

God is always there. When we trust him fully, we can be assured that he will send a messenger, or direct us to his word, or have us to listen a song. The most beautiful way for me to be directed by the Lord in a difficult situation is waiting on him through prayer

• 1 month later...

2a)He was humble but also didn’t feel he was capable to do what God asks.

b)God said he would be with him.

c)God says He will never leave us, and we can do anything God asks of us with his help and power through Holy Spirit working in us. God reminds us of his presence &faithfulness as He answers our prayers even in the most difficult of circumstances.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A2. I would argue that Moses' fearful response to the call to bring the Hebrews out from Egyptian oppression and the hand of Pharoah, indicates all three issues operating in his life. I think that the many years spent reflecting on his biological circumstances, his upbringing in Pharoah's courts, his guilt over murdering the Egyptian, his reputation in both cultures, his isolation from everything and everyone that was part of his youth, his rejection from both Hebrew and Egyptian culture, his assimilation into Midianite culture and his subsequent sense of "not belonging" all contribute to his very low sense of self-worth and valid fear that he would face tremendous opposition from both sides. His faith is likely lacking because of a) limited exposure to Hebrew theology, B) this kind of miracle was unprecedented in world history and Moses had no frame of reference through which to interpret God's commands, God's will or likely outcomes c) Moses likely had no idea the degree to which God had always been with him, protecting him and preparing him "for such a time as this". Pertaining to humility, Moses appears unafraid to disagree with God's preferred course of action through him so I am not certain how humble he is at this point in his life. Perhaps he is just more afraid of facing his people and Pharoah and of failing than he is asking God to send someone else. I don't think he is arrogant or prideful but I believe most of his humility was attained during the decades leading the Hebrew people out of Egypt and through the wilderness.

• 2 weeks later...

Does Moses' response to God's call reflect a low self image, true humility, or lack of faith? ALL OF THE ABOVE.

How does God reassure him? HE SAID HE WOULD BE WITH HIM.

How does God reassure us when we are called to impossible situations? THROUGH HIS WORD. WHAT HE SAID TO MOSES, HE SAYS TO US. "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

• 6 months later...

I think it was lack of confidence that God would truly work through him. Moses did not have revelation at this point that we have to truly yield to what God wants to do through us He won't just take over our physical being, Moses would not relent the very part of himself that he saw the least value in.

• 1 year later...

Moses didn't see himself worthy nor sufficient to complete such a task. He look at his imperfections and his weaknesses; therefore, coming to the conclusion that he did not qualify for the assignment God call him to. In this sense, Moses did demonstrate low self image, a lack of faith, and true humility.

God spoke to Moses and reassured him that Moses could get it done, but he wouldn't have to do it alone. God would be with him.

When God calls us to a task that we deem totally impossible for us to accomplish, God is with us every step of the way...just as He was with Moses. God always keeps His promises.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Exodus 3:10-12) Does Moses� response to God�s call reflect a low self image, true humility, or lack of faith? How does God reassure him? How does God reassure us when we are called to impossible situations?

I believe Moses' response to God's call reflects true humility.  God reassures Moses by telling him that He would be with Him in leading the Hebrews out of Egypt. 

When God assigns us a mission or task He will be there with us.  God never hangs people out to dry.  There are no impossible situations for God.  So, if I am serving God and willing out His will for my life God is there.  See Ps. 23 -- "The Lord is my shepherd ..."

• 9 months later...

His response reflects all of that. Moses was conscience of serious wrong doing when he committed a murder. This did much to his self image and self righteousness of who he thought he was while in Egypt. He begins his running away when it is revealed that his murder was known by others. He left a fearful and guilty man. As the years passed he found true humilty in having no status of importance and being no different than other shepherds in the fields. He now worked for someone else. Forty years passed in this capacity and now he was an old man. He was approached by a holy God in a miraculous manner. This is humbling in itself because you now really know who you are not when in the presence of your creator. He was given a mission by God and saw himself as nothing in His presence. Moses had little if any faith at all at that point. God promises to be with him in this assignment.  A powerful and holy God is giving Moses a chance at kingdom assigments. I believe Moses was empty of himself at this point so he was ready in Gods eyes to be filled with heavens plan. God reassures us in the same way. He speaks to us, he uses biblical stories that speak of His nature and love and always gives us what we need to complete His heavenly assignments while on earth. 

• 3 months later...

As I recently read about Moses and how he responded to God's call, it made me laugh but also humbly acknowledge that I along with many of us have once or often responded to God in the same way. Moses' responses, I believe was one of a low-self image, true humility, and lack of faith. Right here in this passage of scripture, I believe it was more of true humility and lack of faith as well as, I am just realizing this, an unawareness of who God really is. Moses didn't understand what God had already put in him and he also didn't understand that God would do the work through him. Moses also wasn't aware of who God really was and is, and I humbly say looking at his life is helping me realize where I too need to grow.

• 1 month later...

I sensed a lack of self confidence. But really now, Had Moses actually known much about Yaweh till now?

Would you or I do anything different?  We picture ourselves doing God's work in our own strength which is little.

God specializes in taking the weak to show His strength. If it were all up to Moses who would get the glory?

• 8 months later...

Moses may have developed a low self-image having had to run from Egypt in a powerful position to that of a lowly shepherd caring for flock that were not his own in a strange land. He most certainly would have shown humility having witnessed the burning bush and the angel of the Lord speaking to him. He also shows lack of faith by questioning God. God reassures him by telling him that he would be with him. God promised us that he would never leave nor forsake us as well.

• 3 months later...

I believe that this passage shows the lack of self image that Moses has with himself.  God reassures him by telling Moses that He will show the Egyptians might signs and wonders and that they will know He is the Lord.  God reassures me of His power thru His word.  I try to remember scriptures that will help me thru the hard times and just saying those out loud eases my troubles.

MOSES DOES NOT HAVE A LOW SELF IMAGE HE HAS A LACK OF FAITH, GOD REASSURES HIM BY LETTING HIS USE HIS BROTHER AND HIS ROD FROM HERDING SHEEP TO HAVE CONFIDENCE WITH THINGS THAT HE IS COMFORTABLE WITH.  GOD ALLOWS US TO LOOK BAACK AT OUR PAST AND THE PAST OF OTHERS TO SHOW HOW HE WILL SHOW UP AND SHOW OUT. IF HE DID IT BEFORE HE WILL DO IT AGAIN.  WE ARE REASSURED BY KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING OF HIS WORD.

• 3 months later...

Q2. (Exodus 3:10-12) Does Moses' response to God's call reflect a low self image, true humility, or lack of faith? How does God reassure him? How does God reassure us when we are called to impossible situations?

In this first instance when Moses speaks with God, I think Moses displays genuine humility about what God is asking of himself. By this time, Moses was 80 years old and spent his latter 40 years in Midian which was probably humbling from his first 40 years of his life. He went from living in the palace or a part of Pharaoh's family to being a shepherd. He probably thinks he is not worthy or capable of doing such a thing but of course, God knows the reservations we have in our heart and he assures Moses that He will be with him. He tells him that the sign that this will be fulfilled would be the Israelites worshiping God on the mountain of Horeb which is away from Egypt. God constantly has to reassure me that He is always with me. The story of Joshua always comes to mind when God constantly has to tell him to be strong and courageous. A lot of times, the outcomes we think will happen never happen but we are constantly being bombarded with the tricks of the enemy so that we do not fulfill what God has in store for us. God does not give us a spirit of fear but instead a spirit of love. It's his words he brings to mind or memories of past experiences he uses to help us be fearless for Him.

• 11 months later...

Moses The Reluctant Leader

Answer to question 1.

The Motivation for Moses was that he's an Egyptian prince.

Character wise: Moses was train as a leader being a prince, so he's decisive .

Moses was schooled in Egypt as a prince & future leader.

The positive thing about Moses: Moses decisive.

The negative thing about Moses: Moses was too Aggressive

Moses The Reluctant Leader

Q2. Moses response to Gods call was as a result of low self image that lead to lack of faith In God. Exodus 3:11, Moses response to God shows that he no match for Pharaoh to deliver the Israelites.

God promise that his presence will be with Moses

The same way God was with Moses, God he's assuring us today that he will be with us in all situations

• 1 year later...

This is Moses first encounter with God.  He must have been filled with awe, wonder and fear as well some unbelief to see a bush burning as such and then hearing the voice of God! Moses was not raised in the Hebrew faith, though he surely had heard of the stories of this God of his ancestors, this was his first experience of direct contact with Him.  Moses did not think of himself as being qualified to be a servant of God, to perform the task given him, it was too great for him, he did not have the experience or capability to lead a people out of bondage;  he did not believe he was worthy of the position and obviously did not think he had the strength and courage to go against a mighty king of Egypt!.  Moses response to God's call is normal for a man who is not prepared to perform such a task.  It had to have caught him off guard!  Surely he wasn't expecting to be called upon by God or anyone, for that matter to do such a great feat. Moses was not aware of the power or greatness of God and this was his education of it.  He was thinking only of his abilities to perform this task and not of the abilities of God.  Now Moses will be witness to the power and might of an awesome God.  From this he will learn to trust and have all faith in a mighty and powerful God.  Moses will see the power of God first hand and feel the existence of God in himself and will learn to obey him and trust him thus learning what God expects from him and learning to depend on him for all things.  Moses will learn that he doesn't have to do anything, but do what God commands him to do and God will do the rest.  We all have to learn this.  God reassures Moses by telling him that he is God!  He IS the God of his ancestors and He has heard their prayers and has come to delivery them.  He assures Moses that he will not be alone and that he will be with him in all that he is require to do.  That he will never leave him or abandon him.

• 2 years later...

(Exodus 3:10-12) Does Moses' response to God's call reflect a low self image, true humility, or lack of faith? How does God reassure him? How does God reassure us when we are called to impossible situations?

I think Moses' response is true humility. Having God come face to face with you is about as humbling as it gets. God's words to Moses and to us is always to to trust Him.  

• 1 year later...

Q2. (Exodus 3:10-12)

Does Moses' response to God's call reflect a low self image, true humility, or lack of faith?

How does God reassure him?

How does God reassure us when we are called to impossible situations?

Moses' response is surprised horror at the very thought that he, Moses, should go back to Egypt with such an important task to accomplish.  I think it probably reflects all three traits mentioned, low self image, (possibly guilt included), humility (his status in life had sure fallen from prince to a shepherd) and lack of faith (how could he possibly be used at this stage of his life  -  80 yrs old).  At the time, as a member of the royal household (even if it was a lowly member) when he tried to help a fellow Hebrew, he blundered in his efforts  -  who would trust him now as an absolute nobody.

God reassures him, that He will be with him.  

The same way. With God all things are possible. We need not attempt the task God has assigned to us, alone.  God does not necessarily call the qualified but qualifies the called.  

• 1 year later...

Moses' response was to obey. He must have heard God's audible voice because he didn't question the content of the command, that is, whether he had heard God correctly, but only wondered why he was chosen to do this task. The clarity of God's command is something I desire in my own life.

The scriptures describe Moses as humble. I cannot read Hebrew, but in the English translation, this verse seems out of place, as if it were added later by a scribe or priest. If so, it doesn't matter because still I take it as true -- Moses was humble.

Pastor Ralph's question, though, asks about the origin of his humility -- was he humble because he had 1) a psychological issue (low self-esteem), 2) a character issue (true humility), or 3) a theological issue (lack of faith)?  The bible suggests that his humility was sincere and true. We know this because God did NOT chastise Moses for asking why he was chosen for this task. In fact, God reassured him. 

After 40 years of wandering around an ugly, dusty desert following disgusting sheep, Moses was a broken man. God had to build him up to make him conceive of himself as a worthy individual capable of performing the HUGE task God had told him to do. Actually, I'm not sure God reassured him as much God prodded him forward. Imagine having a desire to do something noble, such as help abused slaves in Egypt, and then having that desire thwarted, in part because of your own rash actions. Instead of fulfilling your desire to help people, you're banished and, in essence punished for 40 long years.

At the close of these decades in the desert, what happened to Moses' dream? Was it forgotten? Was it latent but not brought to mind? Or, was it something he thought about every day for 40 years?

Moses' youthful dreams/desires were resurrected after two-thirds of his life had passed. In a way, Moses' personal life followed the same trajectory of the story of the Egyptian slaves. Having a desire brought to life after so many years would be in itself quite reassuring. The desire isn't dead! It's been revived. It has come to life after so many years and may actually become real!