JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Fear and Courage

Why are we so afraid to obey God when He puts on our hearts to do something decisive?

Because of feeling of inadequacies that we may feel. Prier pressure of what others may think of us. We often place things of this nature first instead of putting God first in our lives. We should remember that there is nothing greater than to place him first in our lives.

How do we deal with fear when we feel it?

By facing it for the sake of a higher cause. We build courage within ourselves. Each fear transforms to a badge of capability and fearlessness.

What is the relationship of fear to courage?

Courage is hard won through perseverance and growth.Without fear there would be no need for courage. Its value is in the fear it overcomes.

Why is courage required in leaders and disciples?

Without courage no one would be able to take the first step to obtain the goal set before them. Setting a example of courage may induce in others a sense of courage and hope.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are afraid to obey God because we have our eyes on ourselves and our circumstances from a human point of view. I see five main problems:

1.We aren't sure God is really saying this to us. If we are listening and asking God to use us, we should expect Him to give us instructions. Often our supposed doubt is mainly an excuse not to obey.

2.We can easily see failure due to our inadequacies and can't see the creative way that God plans to solve the problems. I've witnessed some really creative ways God has answered prayers.

3.We don't quite trust God to enable us, take care of all the details, and take adequate care of us while we serve Him. We are afraid either that He won't stick with us all the way or that He won't be concerned about details that are minor to Him but seem big to us. God loves us and knows what's important better than we do, so we should trust Him.

4.We are more concerned about what people will think of us than about serving God and pleasing Him. We should have our eyes so focused on God that we readily obey.

5.We don't see the big picture of what God can really accomplish when we obey Him in this particular task, which may not seem important. We trust too much in our own intelligence. A private in the army should not question the orders of the general, especially One who is all-knowing and all-powerful.

We need to deal with fear by asking God for courage and obeying in spite of fear. When there is time before we need to act, we can study, memorize, and meditate on Bible passages that give us courage.

Courage is simply acting bold even when we are afraid, instead of letting that fear defeat us.

Leaders must especially show courage because they need to set an example for their followers and because they are more likely to face the responding attack from Satan and the negative feedback of other people.

We are so afraid to obey God for we really lack of faith and true love for our neighbours. To deal with fear, I believe, I need to recall my awareness then plead with God to take pity on my weaknesses, unworthiness and humbly ask HIM to speed HIS Grace abundantly to me each time.

Fear is something we are not accustomed to it/them and need to have some experiences in overcoming it/them first; whist the courage is also something we have to build it up first before we can over rule/s what we are going to face or encounter. Courage is one of the most important factors to be good leader/disciple,for we have to make sure ourselves that we do know and understanding of what we are leading and/or to follow. Later on, with our full knowledge and good understanding,and in accompanying with good faith and love, then we can be the good leader/disciple.

I think we are so afraid to obey God when He puts on our hearts to do something decisive because of our little faith; we always doubt.

When we feel afraid, we must run to God and ask for courage and have faith that, He will deliver us. We should remember what He said to us, that He will always be with us.

Fear destroys; removes courage and therefore leads to failure.

Courage is required in order to succeed. A leader can not succeed if he or she is full of doubts.

Q4. Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive? How are we to deal with fear when we feel it? What is the relationship of fear to courage? Why is courage required in leaders and disciples?

I believe it is because we have not the faith ti really believe that God will be with us through the whole situation. Fear of what man will say is also a factor of why we are so afraid.

God is with us at all times, He has not given us a spirit of fear but one of courage. When facing fear praise God and ask Him to increase your faith and knowledge of Him, so that fear will not be what you are thinkling of but only obeying God. God alone can release you from this fear. He has given His word that where ever we go He is there.

Fear will confine you, courage will set you free. Fear is a hindance to obedience, whereas courage strenghtens you to be obedient.

Courage is required in leadership to get things done. A leader must be willing to face his giants and over come them with the Lord. Fear will paralyze you. In leadership you will come up against many hard situations, as man making fun of you, things the devil will try to put in front of you, you must be an overcomer to lead.

Q4. Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive? How are we to deal with fear when we feel it? What is the relationship of fear to courage? Why is courage required in leaders and disciples?

I have had perorids when I was in fear of my life when God gets angry with me. I was young in mind at that time. Today after years of hearing him call me to do things I have learned to say, "Here I am Lord send me." This has been awile in coming.

Most of the time we are unsure about the voice of God telling us what to do, I say, if you are a true child of God, and through a prayer life the Holy Ghost will not lead you astray, try the spirit and see if it is of God, have courage and don't let Satan hinder you with fear, that is one of his most used tools, is to keep saints if God in fear. To be an effective leader you have to have courage to face any type of opposition that is put in your way. None wants to be a failure, but we all make mistakes, if you learned something from it count it a blessing and continue on with your head up press on toward the mark of the higher calling.

Maranatha;

Bondservantmccue

MOST PEOPLE FEAR WHAT OTHERS WILL THINK OR SAY. IN PSLAMS 27: 1 IT SAYS THE LORD IS MY LIGHT AND SALVATION WHOM SHALL I FEAR. WE DO WHAT WE FEEL IS RIGHT IN OUR HEART MAKING NO DIFFERENCE WHAT OTHERS SAY OR DO. IF IT IS PLEASING TO GOD WE HAVE NO WORRIES. WHEN MAKING DECEISIONS WE SHOULD ALWAYS ASK GOD TO HELP US.

WHEN I FEEL AFRIAD I ALWAYS CALL ON THE LORD JESUS HE IS ALWAYS THERE FOR ANY NEED WE HAVE.

WE HAVE TO HAVE COURAGE TO STEP OUT ON FAITH. IF WE HAVE NO FAITH WE HAVE NO COURAGE.

IT TAKES COURAGE TO BE A LEADER OR A DISCIPLE.YOU HAVE TO LET THE HOLY SPIRIT GUIDE YOU IN YOUR LEADERSHIP.YOU ARE A LIGHT ON A HILL AND YOU LIVE YOUR LIVE FOR THE LORD AS BEST AS YOU CAN . YOU PRAY FOR COURAGE AND GUIDAINCE TO LET THE HOLY SPIRIT LED YOU. I DO NOT CARE WHAT ANYONE THINKS I LIVE MY LIVE FOR JESUS OUR SAVIOR NOT FOR MAN. ALL LEADERS SHOULD STAND BOLDLY AND THANK GOD FOR THE COURAGE HE GAVE THEM WHEN THEY PRAYED FOR IT.

If God asks us to do something in an area where we are weak or feel we are not effective or prepared to complete the task, it is tempting to give in to fear. But we know He is strong in our weakness.

We should not give in to fear. Resist the devil and he will flee. Pray and let scripture come alive in your heart. Don't squelch the Holy Spirit.

We demonstrate courage when we follow through with God's Plans despite fear or when fear is conquered in our minds and hearts.

Courage is required in leaders and disciples because change and transformation is often met with opposition and oppression.

The reason we are afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive is, because we do not feel we are good enough and are afraid of failing just as Moses was.

We are to pray and ask God for help to deal with the fear that we feel when asked to do something we feel we cannot do.

The relationship of fear to courage would simply be that of trusting God to supply the courage we need and all of the tools we need to do whatever he asks of us, in this way fear and courage cannot exist one without the other.

We are afraid to obey God when He puts on our heart to do something decisive because of doubt as to whether we would be able to do it and also lack of faith. When we feel fear we must pray God to give us strenghth and courage. Courage is built from fear as you learn from it and get strengthened to carry out God's command. Courage is required in leaders and disciples to carry out God's commands without fear and doubt.

We are afraid of failure, of how we will look to others, or maybe it is a lack of faith. Faith that God will be there to help us. We may be lacking courage, to stand and fight for what God has put on our hearts. Courage is the ability to over come fear. To be able to motivate others a leader needs courage. :)

I think we are afraid because this is God we are doing this for

1)Sometime we don't really know weather it is God's calling or not, maybe we think that it is our inner men thought.if it is really God's calling we won't be afarid to to Gods work, even if its required to go to muslim country to serve Him.

2)Simply ask for Gods favor to help us.

3) Relationship to fear to courage is, when we put God in every thing we do o only impressed Him.

4)We are form to to Gods work so we must first have courage, where God will bulit us into His vessel and leadership.

2 Sam 22:30/ Ps 18:30 "For by thee I have run through a troop: by my God have I leaped over a wall."

We might be afraid we can't do it.

Or we rather do something else.

Pray?

Fear is an unpleasant emotion; courage is when you deal with it in a positive way.

When you have fear, but do something anyway.

Yes, courage is required.

without courage you become passive, and don't achieve a thing.

[/quot

Doubt is the primary cause of fear in carrying out God's will for our life. We deal with fear in turning it over to God. If He has purposed me to do something then He is going to make it happen as long as I do my part. I let God handle it. Fear can freeze a person's action. Courage overcomes fear through in trust in God. I get my courage from the Word of God and the power of the Holy Spirit. Courage enables us to trust God in acting out His call in our life. To step out in trust and belief in what God is leading us.

We afraid to what God tells us to do to lack of sufficient faith that He will stand by us and enpower us. I feel also that because God has given us options to obey or not, we tend to choose to disobey as we aways fail to see the consequences for disobedience- death. (Deu 28:1) "If you obey the LORD your God and faithfully keep all his commands that I am giving you today, he will make you greater than any other nation on earth..."

(Deu 28:15) "But if you disobey the LORD your God and do not faithfully keep all his commands and laws that I am giving you today, all these evil things will happen to you----"

The answer to fear is to turn to God in prayer and to read His writen Word as this will boost our faith.

(Rom 10:17) So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Leaders need courage to lead victoriusly and disciples need it to follow.

1) We are afraid to obey God...because we lack faith. We are no different that Moses. We may feel inadequate as he did. We may even be concerned about what others will think.

2) We are to pray for God's strength. We must remember that God will not ask us to do something without equipping us or giving us the resources to do it.

3) Relationship of fear to courage is fear is how we react to a situation and courage is overcoming our fears.

4) Leaders and disciples must have courage to get the job done. You may have to go or do some things that may seem impossible but have the courage to attack it anyway.

We are afraid to obey God when he puts on our hearts to do something, because of a lack of faith in the outcome. When I feel fear I pray and read the Word to make sure that this is the path God wants me to take, and if I believe it is I do it regardless of the fear I feel. Without fear we would not need courage. Courage is needed by leaders and disciples to walk our walk everyday, without fear, trusting that God will be with us.

We so often feel it is us that have to do what is being asked of us without God's help. We mostly have such little courage in ourselves. The idea of failing is strong. How would we look if we failed both to God and to others? My biggest problem is holding on to that fear when it comes upon me. The longer and harder I hold on to it the stronger it becomes until it overtakes me. What I should do is give it immediately to the Lord for Him to deal with. Fear will tear down all the walls of courage and bring defeat to building that courage back up. Leaders need this courage because there will be times when the impossible seems to need doing. If the one leading me does not seem to have the courage to do what is being asked that is sure not going to help me to follow him and believe it is the right thing to do even if it sounds right.

Q4. Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive?

We are so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive because we think it is our our might that it will be accomplished. We forget that God equips us to carry out whatever He puts in our heart.

How are we to deal with fear when we feel it?

When we feel fear we are to identify the cause and turn the emotion over to God. As God has asked of us, "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7.

Fear spurs on courage.

Courage is required in leaders and disciples because of our trust in God's ability to do what He says He will.

I think past sins and mistakes tend to have a place in people; you want to do something God has commanded but you are a string of doubt is holding you back. If we pray earnestly for God to take away that fear; we are assured he will and all will be well. Courage is required by God's anointed so that they can encourage the same to the people they are leading and make them see how simple it is to honour and obey without fear.

Pastor Ralph, on 01 February 2011 - 03:46 PM, said:

Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive?

We are afraid of pain or suffering and lack of commitment.

How are we to deal with fear when we feel it?

Commit fear to the Victorious Lord Jesus and always focus on Him.

Fear is a natural response towards the unknown and always causes one a runaway but courage dares to take challenge against fear with wisdom.

Courage is required to help to set a good example to others that God is in control. GOD IS THE SOVEREIGN LORD.