JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Forgiving as Spiritual Warfare

"Forgive them Father, for they don't know what they are doing". One of my favorite sayings from the Bible, but yet so hard for me to forgive. Christ forgave us first and yet I just can't forgive my youngest brother for doing bad things to me. I also read in the Bible that we have to forgive our enemies 7 times 70, but just once in my lifetime, I cannot forgive my youngest brother. This is not good for my Christian life. I should be forgiving him, but I have not and I need to.

As one that carries a title of preacher in the UCCP church, I need to forgive. It is not good for the soul, because it shows that I don't care about others, but me. Satan is very clever. He will see a place to attack in our life that is considered soft spot and he will attack till we gave in. So we need to pray to God, but first have a forgiving heart before HE can forgive us.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.SATAN IS ALWAYS WAITING IN THE SHADOWS TO JUMP ON OUR DOUBTS FEAR AND UNFORGIVENESS. HE MAKES IT APPEAR TO US THAT HIS WAY IS THE RIGHT WAY. WHEN YOU ARE IN A SITUATION PRAY TO THE LORD THAT HE WILL DIRECT US IN THE RIGHT WAY AND TELL SATAN IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST TO GET BEHIND YOU

2.SATAN MAKES US BELIEVE THAT WE ARE ALWAYS RIGHT. HE MAKES US THINK THAT WE DONT' HAVE TO FORGIVE. ALSO BITTERNESS

3.THE BIBLE SAYS IF WE DONT' FORGIVE THEN LORD JESUS WILL NOT FORGIVE US . OUR PRAYERS WILL GO UNANSWERED IF WE HAVE AN UNFORGIVING HEART. FORGIVING SOMEONE IS VERY HARD FOR SOME OF US. LET IT GO AND BE ABOUT THE LORDS WORK

4. I PRAY FOR THE LORD TO TAKE AWAY MY BITTERNESS AND HELP ME TO FORGIVE. IS UNFORGIVENESS WORTH OUR PLACE IN HEAVEN? IF YOU HAVE A HARD TIME APPROACHING FORGIVNESS ASK THE LORD TO GIVE YOU THE WORDS TO SAY AND DIRECT YOU, MORE THAN LIKELY HE ALREADY BEEN TO THE ONE YOU ARE FORGIVING.

Satan takes advantage of our unforgiveness because he knows full well that it destroys our spiritual lives. Unforgiveness brings resentment and misery upon ourselves, as it gives others power over us. We see ourselves according to others standards instead of God's. We waste so much of our time being angry and defending ourselves from their judgement. I like the way Joyce Meyer said it, "Unforgiveness is like taking poison and hoping your enemy will die!" We must try to see ourselves the way that God sees us. Though we probably could not fully comprehend the esteem He wants for us in Him, our faith in His Word gives us the answers we need. Jesus told us how important forgiveness is in Matt 6:14-15. 'For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; but if you do not forgive others, neither will you Father forgive your trespasses.' How do we do this? In Matt 5:44, Jesus gives us the answer; ... bless those who curse you ... pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you. By faith, we pray for them, even if our prayers start with, 'help me change my heart!' The Spirit is always willing to help us reach spiritually higher places.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 2:10-11) How does Satan take advantage of unforgiveness? :huh:

The unforgiveness that Satan takes advantage of and is spoken here by Paul, is a reflection of one’s' heart, Paul's forgiveness demonstrated what came from his heart, it was his concern for others in the church, he made it clear how important "forgiveness" is, not only for the church, but for each individual, Paul had written a letter to the church, a letter that was filled with great anguish, he did not mean to cause any pain, but he knew sin had to be dealt with, and he made it clear that something must be done, and now that the church did bring sufficient punishment to the person, Paul wanted the church to know that he forgives that person, that forgiveness on Paul's heart cried out for that person, he understood that without forgiveness going forth from the church to encourage and comfort him, Satan would take advantage of the situation and that person might be swallowed up in overwhelming depression, and that is what Satan would like, it would open the door for Satan to take advantage of the hearts that hold onto resentment, for we know Satan’s schemes are to divide and destroy the love that is birthed in one's soul.

According to Matthew 6:14-15, how does holding unforgiveness hurt our spiritual lives?

When a brother sins, love calls the church to rebuke him, (sin is not to take root in the church or in the heart of the believer) and when he repents, as he did in the Corinthian church, the church was called to "forgive" - this is a command that God gives, but it should also be a command of the heart, overruling ones feelings if necessary; Satan looks for any way he can to destroy the believer, without forgiveness, bitterness and resentment opens the way for it take hold of the heart, giving advantage for Satan, as we forget the "GREAT - FORGIVENESS" that was given to us, and the love that was birthed in our soul to love and forgive others.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 2:10-11) How does Satan take advantage of our unforgiveness? What are the symptoms in our own heart of unforgiveness? According to Matthew 6:14-15, how does holding unforgiveness hurt our spiritual lives? What would you have to do to really let go of your resentment and give it to God?

When we refuse to forgive, the anger lingers on and turns into resentment which becomes a 'bitter root' of evil in us. This creates an opportunity for satan to further attack us and lead us further away.

The symptoms in our hearts for unforgiveness are bitterness and resentment.

When we refuse to forgive those that have offended us, our Father in heaven will not forgive us also. This is a spiritual disconnect between us and God as it blocks the fellowship between us and God.

On our own we can not sincerely forgive, it is difficult. It takes the leading and power of the Holy Spirit to forgive. Therefore I pray and ask God to help me through the power of the Holy Spirit to forgive and reomve every root of bitterness from my heart.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 2:10-11) How does Satan take advantage of our unforgiveness? What are the symptoms in our own heart of unforgiveness? According to Matthew 6:14-15, how does holding unforgiveness hurt our spiritual lives? What would you have to do to really let go of your resentment and give it to God?

When we don't forgive, it opens up the door for the enemy to work in our lives. Bitterness in our hearts and holding onto grudges and not letting go can be symptoms of an unforgiving heart.According to Matthew's gospel, if we forgive others for sinning against us, then will our Heavenly Father forgive us for our sins.Forgiveness is not a feeling but a choice, a decision of the will to pardon someone who has badly hurt us.Once I choose to let go and forgive, the Holy Spirit will enable me to do so and bring healing and peace into my life, but I have to be willing to let it go completely and turn it over to God.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 2:10-11) How does Satan take advantage of our unforgiveness? What are the symptoms in our own heart of unforgiveness? According to Matthew 6:14-15, how does holding unforgiveness hurt our spiritual lives? What would you have to do to really let go of your resentment and give it to God?There are 3 types of unforgiveness1.Cant forgive others that do things to you,2.Cant forgive things that you have done to self,3.Cant receive forgiveness for what you have done to others...The 3rd 1 you only have the power to ask GOD to forgive you of your sin then put it behind you,but you have no control over if someone else forgives you...The 2nd 1 is just like part of 3 but you ask GOD to forgive you for the things done to self then put it behind you...The 1st is the 1 that satan is using that is going to keep many out of Heaven,yes the others will keep some out but this 1 will fill up hell.satans trick is to keep 1 in remembrance of the hurt/pain that allows you to take your eyes off JESUS.Our Spiritual lives are hurt because there is no right that can be found in any wrong/sin.Love cant reside where there is hate,JESUS is LOVE!!!Receive the WISDOM/understanding to know that when you take sin to the ALTER/JESUS to leave it there,dont get up and carry it back to the pew with you...GOD BLESS

How does Satan take advantage of our unforgiveness? What are the symptoms in our own heart of unforgiveness? According to Matthew 6:14-15, how does holding unforgiveness hurt our spiritual lives? What would you have to do to really let go of your resentment and give it to God?

1) Satan take advantage of our unforgiveness to defeat us. We are giving him an oppotunity to have power over us. He will try doing things that we are not even aware of to defeat us.

2) We have all kinds of symptoms in our heart of unforgivness. The most common are anger and bitterness.

3) Holding unforgiveness will hurt our spiritual lives, according to Mt 6:14-15, if we don't forgive those that sin against us, our Heavenly Father will not forgive us.

4) To really let go of our resentment and give it to God means just that. We have to let go any unforgiveness and turn it over to God.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 2:10-11)

How does Satan take advantage of our unforgiveness?

Satan takes advantage of our unforgiveness by making us his place for his evil things to flourish.

What are the symptoms in our own heart of unforgiveness?

The symptoms in our own heart of unforgiveness are anger, bitterness, resentment.

According to Matthew 6:14-15, how does holding unforgiveness hurt our spiritual lives?

We make ourself vunerable to Satan as he will use our unforgiveness to defeat us.

What would you have to do to really let go of your resentment and give it to God?

We should pray to God with open heart and real desire to forgive and let the resentment go.

A) Satan takes advantage of our unforgiveness by reminding us of the offense that took place against us over and over again. This relentless reminder will not cease until we forgive the offensive act/or person.

B) Symptoms of unforgiveness in our heart are many. To name a few, bitterness, anger, resentment, jealousy, vengeful thoughts, perhaps apathy? Uh, hate, disassociation, depression, recklessness, etc.

C) Holding unforgiveness will hurt my spiritual life. With all of the above symptoms, its highly unlikely to even have peace to achieve a normal spiritual life. 2nd, not forgiving my brother/sister will offend GOD and HE in return will not forgive my transgressions.

D) What would I have to do to let go of resentment and give it up to GOD? The question itself is part of the answer. "YOU GIVE IT UP TO GOD". Pray with a sincere heart. BELIEVE that God can heal the pain in your heart and release you from the offense. Give it up to a higher being that is capable of healing you. You must BELIEVE & PRAY.

Satan take advantage of our unforgiveness by making us miss out on blessing . Bitterness and unforgiveness are symptoms. According to matthew 6:14-15 holding unforgiveness hurt our spiritual life because our heavenly father will not forgive us if we don't forgive. We must forgive.

He takes advantage, by trying to minister negative thoughts about that person or problem. But Glory to God he has given of direction about bring our mind in and taking every thought captive.

Vexation; we are irritated every time we think on it. Like a pesting fly. If our heart continue to be irritated then I have not completely cover it in forgiveness of love. I have to look pass the person and really see who is pulling the strings and why

No peace or rest, the love channel is blocked. No communication with the Father

Pray for the peace of God over that problem and my heart. Pray that I look beyond the person at hand and reconcil it in my heart, that I am still standing and learn from the hurt. Turst God and let it go, knowing that God will take care of the situation. Nothing is worth my rest in my spirit. Because while i am over here being angry and having unforgiveness, that person has probably gone on with their lives. Take one day at a time

Forgiveness is something we do to unburden ourselves. Forgiveness for a major wrong is not easy, and sometimes when we think of the wrong, we have to forgive over and over again. It can take time.

Unforgiveness eats away at our relationship with God who forgives us just by turning to him and asking.

Lord, show us all things that stand in the way of our relationship with you. Cause us to deal with these things that they would not hinder your will and guidance in our lives.

(2 Corinthians 2:10-11) How does Satan take advantage of our unforgiveness?

When we are disobeying God, we're following him; so, for this at least, he's our master... :-/ not a good master, no!!

The holy Spirit is grieved, and our communion with God is limited!

It ends up in spiritual death, if we continually quench the Spirit of God on this subject!

What would you have to do to really let go of your resentment and give it to God?

The possible relation pointed out between unforgiveness and bitterness interrogates me: I have some roots of bitterness to give up to God for good, but could it be that actually it comes from something that I hold against someone (perhaps God himself!)?..

The Lord said that we had to take our cross every day ... here also, we have to decide to forgive, and hold on to it, each and every day, when we feel it or not!

Q4. (2 Corinthians 2:10-11) How does Satan take advantage of our unforgiveness?

By our agreeing with the influence of his spirit more so than God's. Satan takes advantage of our holding onto unforgiveness by way of our carnal thinking. Just as Paul said in 2nd Corinthians 10:3 "We do live in the world. But we don't fight in the same way that the world fights." Satan is the prince of the air he exist in the world yet he doesn't fight with carnal weaponry. He can use his influence whereby we will use carnal weapons. This thing unforgiveness is powerful, a powerful spiritual antecedent. When we are cut we bleed just as a non-Christian however we must die to flesh. When a Christian is punched, kicked or reviled they feel pain just as a non-Christian. Yes there may be a grieving period however being in relationship with Christ gives us access to the Healer. When / if a child of God hold onto unforgiveness it prevents more things from occurring than realized. It also gives life to more things than realized on the surface and as well beneath the surface. We allow him to have this advantage!! We allow him to farther infect us with this deadly venom vise seeking the cure.

Too many to mention (emotional and mental torment), the opposite of forgiveness.

Dwelling on the cause; negative thoughts of the person(s) that hurt you; in ability to function if the person that hurt you enters the room or someone mentions their name; bitterness; depression; Self-Harm; Self-Seclusion / negative isolation; acting out / attention seeking; inability to recognize God's Presence because we are so focused on the unforgiveness and or the symptoms etc...

It prevents one from being in the Will of God, it allows one to be disobedient, it is sometimes so subtle that the person chooses not to recognize it, because they justify it do to the infliction caused. It hurts our spiritual lives because they would not be aligned with the Spirit.

Unforgiveness can prevent us from being salt, light, and fruitful spiritually, Jesus commanded us to love one another John 15:12, if a child of God does not forgive does it reflect love or does it convey disobedience to Christ. Just as in the text mentioned within the question Mark 11:24-25 lets us know that unforgiveness can have a weighing factor not only on our trespasses being forgiven but also with the answering of our prayers. This effects our spiritual lives greatly and can cause some possibly to stray. Holding onto unforgiveness can defile a person as well according to Hebrews 12:15, being defile and remaining in a defiled state certainly will hurt our spiritual lives as it relates to God.

I love something Corrie Ten Boone said, when she met some of the solider from the concentration camp. one solider asked for forgiveness after hearing the Word of God, she within herself was not moved to forgive him, she turned it over to God. We like wise should, must do so. Believe that His grace is sufficient! Trust and submit to HIM! The person(s) that hurt us more than likely sinned, however if we allowed the unforgiveness to become resentment we are in sin therefore repent, seek farther guidance, give all to Jesus and let God heal the hurt. Afterwards Walk, walk as He will lead.

Satan takes advantage of us when we don’t forgive by not letting us forget what the person did. It burns a whole in our soul and it just like a sore and it keeps festering in us. Some of symptoms in my own heart of unforgiveness are always thinking of a way to get even with the person who offended us.

According to Matthew if we don’t forgiven others the Father will not forgive us therefore we are separating ourselves from the Father. To really let go you have to confront the person who offended you and ask for forgiveness. After you have done that you will then be able to turn it over to God.

Satan uses unforgiveness to keep our eyes off the Lord and place them on the person who wronged us. We focus on our hurt, building up resentment against the person, and so get distracted from what we should be doing. Unforgiveness is a sin as we disobey God’s clear command to forgive.

Symptoms of unforgiveness include: thoughts regularly straying back to the person who wronged us, rehearsing our hurt, vengeful thoughts, lack of love for the person, hardness of heart toward the person.

Matthew 6:14-15 shows us that if we forgive, we receive forgiveness from God, but if we fail to forgive, we also fail to receive forgiveness from God. We block ongoing blessings in our lives.

To really let go of my resentment, I need to make a decision to do this. I need to hand it to God, and see myself as being free. I need to check if I contributed to the negative situation and also stand in need of forgiveness. I then need to act in freedom toward the other person. I may need God’s help and direction to re-establish a positive relationship. Or, depending on the circumstance, the choice may be to not reinvolve with the person. Either way, it means moving forward with life without being consumed or constrained by the past hurt.

Satan takes advantage of our unforgiveness by using it to defeat us in our faith and our walk with the Lord.

The symptons in our own heart of unforgiveness are, holding onto a grudge and refusing to let go. I heard or read something awhile back that said the definition of unforgiveness was,' drinking poison and hoping the person who wronged you will die.'

Unforgiveness hurts our spiritual life because it interfers with our ministry to the Body of Christ.

In order to really let go of resentment,one has to learn to be willing to let go and give it to God. :mellow:

Q4. (2 Corinthians 2:10-11) How does Satan take advantage of our unforgiveness?

Satan takes advantage of our unforgiveness when we don’t forgive, because it provides a foothold that Satan can use to defeat us.

The symptoms in our own heart of unforgiveness is anger, bitterness, and no peace.

Matthew 6:14-15 – “For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: 15But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”

Holding on to unforgiveness hurt our spiritual lives, because if we do not forgive others when they sin against us, God will not forgive our sins.

What would I have to do to really let go of my resentment and give it to God is to pray that God will help me to forgive the person who have wronged me. Unforgiveness puts us in bondage. Jesus died to set us free, and when we forgive we will live a life of peace and freedom that can only be found in Christ.

• 1 month later...

The ultimate purpose of church discipline is restoration. Restoration is impossible without forgiveness. Satan uses unforgiveness to stir up resentment and suspicion. When we have doubts and misgivings about those we need to forgive, Satan will use the opportunity to divide and conquer - especially if we share our concerns with others. Unforgiveness does more harm to ourselves than it does to those we cannot forgive. Eventually, it makes it hard for us to trust anyone. Realizing how much I’ve been forgiven helps me forgive others.

• 7 months later...

4a)If we don’t forgive others or receive fully God’s forgiveness of us when we turn to him. We allow satan to have a foothold & give him an opportunity to deceive us.b)Bitterness in our heart, lingering feelings of resentment are symptoms of heart unforgiveness leading to physical & emotional sickness. C)Us keeping unforgiveness in heart,hurts our spiritual lives because Our Father does not forgive sins, of those who do not forgive those that trespass against us. D)Remind myself of how much God&others have forgiven me,when I fall short too hurt go& forgive person that has hurt me.

• 1 year later...

Satan uses our unforgiveness to divide, create bitterness, and create ineffective Christians and dysfunctional churches.

Unforgiveness in our hearts creates anger, resentment, and bitterness.  When these characteristics dominate a Christian's life, the Christian cannot grow spiritually and certainly cannot help or encourage others to grow spiritually.  Which in reality means becoming Christ-like.

Jesus taught that if we don't forgive others their trespasses/sin against us, God will not forgive us our trespasses/sin.  I strive to put this into practice.

• 11 months later...

Q4. (2 Corinthians 2:10-11) How does Satan take advantage of our unforgiveness? What are the symptoms in our own heart of unforgiveness? According to Matthew 6:14-15, how does holding unforgiveness hurt our spiritual lives? What would you have to do to really let go of your resentment and give it to God?  http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.pup?showtopic=1077

When we do not forgive, we are holding on to the wrong that has been done to us and keeping it inside.  In time, that feeling will begin to well up inside and offers Satan a “ready” situation to entice us to keep on in our unforgiving mode of attitude. When we are unforgiving, or untrusting or anxious or angry or the like, we are opening the door to Satan as he waits outside that door in a “pounce-like posture”, ready to attack.  He knows when we are most vulnerable and waits for the precise moment to pounce on his next victim.

We do not really know the plan of Satan other than he waits on us to open the door to him through our behavior modes.  He will plan and wait and be patient until the right moment.  Then he “pounces” on us as the unaware victims we are.  With our unforgiving attitudes, we are not affecting or hurting the person who hurt us but this attitude acts like a boomerang and comes right back on top of us.  Then we have the added issue of the pouncing surprise attack by the enemy Satan.

Of course, Scripture dictates to us how to avoid the trap and that is quite simply to forgive and trust in the LORD and that will “always” alleviate the situation.  We will be cleansed from the inside out and will reap the blessings of the LORD while at the same time making it impossible for Satan to grab hold of any part of us.

• 3 weeks later...

What would you have to do to really let go of your resentment and give it to God? . (2 Corinthians 2:10-11) How does Satan take advantage of our unforgiveness? What are the symptoms in our own heart of unforgiveness? According to Matthew 6:14-15, how does holding unforgiveness hurt our spiritual lives? What would you have to do to really let go of your resentment and give it to God?

Satan takes advantage of our unfogiveness because whe we have resentment in our souls we are not very open to God, we are cut of from God and cannot feel his love and care . When the snake told eve that God had lied to her and Adam she felt resentment and fell into sin. Unforgiveness and resentment are satin's biggest and best tool.

If we do not forgive our heavenly father will not forgive us, a void then grows in our heart and is filled with Satan 's darkness.

To really let go we need to submit to God's love and love our neighbor as ourselves. This is the love of God.

• 7 months later...

Satan takes advantage of us if we refuse to forgive someone who has offended us, because he uses this to undermine us and attack us spiritually. This causes us to become bitter and our desire to get even with them, a greed we want to fulfill.

The symptoms in our hearts of unforgiveness are bitterness and desire to get even.

According to Math.6:14-15, if we do not forgive men their trespasses against us, then our Heavenly Father will not forgive us of our trespasses against Him.

To really let go of our resentment against a person we must forgive them of their offense against us and give this resentment to the Lord and receive His comfort for us. 

To really let go of our resentment to another we should go apologize to them for our resentment, thus we have cleared our conscience, but it is up to them to forgive us so their conscience can be clear and a better relationship can ensue between them.