JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Father and the Son

Q2. What does this tell us about the Father? The Father is the speaker here in 1:8 and in 21:6. But Jesus is the speaker in 1:17 and 22:12-13. What is the significance of this for our understanding of who Jesus is?

Revelation 1:8 informs us the God is the almighty creator that will live eternally in order to guide the followers in his footsteps. The two different speakers intertwine together so that readers will understand that God, Jesus, The Son, and the Holy Spirit are all the same person, God. The two voices show how God is powerful and that there is only one God in the universe.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. What does this tell us about the Father? The Father is the speaker here in 1:8 and in 21:6. But Jesus is the speaker in 1:17 and 22:12-13. What is the significance of this for our understanding of who Jesus is?

Jesus is of the Father,separate but paradoxically not. This is understandable to me mostly through reading John 5:18-47 in which Jesus explains His relationship to his father and to us. Also of the Father, separate but not, is the Holy Spirit. Of this Jesus said, among other things, in John 4:24, to the Samaritan woman at the well in Sychar: God is a Spirit:and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Thank you Lord. for your gifts of Yourself, Your Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. Luke 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children:how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Thank you Lord.

• 1 month later...

I too have the words of Jesus printed in red and all but 21:6 are in red, yet my footnote even on that one is about God our Savior offering salvation for those who are thirsty for the water of eternal life. The significance of it all to me is God the Father and Jesus and The Holy Spirit are one. All of the Trinity were from the first and will be the there at the last.

Most important is this.....Blessed are those who wash their robes and have the right to the tree of life. Outside will be those who are immoral, murderers and idolaters and those who practice falsehoods. And the Spirit and the Bride say "Come" and let the hearers say "Come" and whoever is thirsty let him come and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life."

This tells me our Father offers to all, every tribe, tongue and nation, the free gift of salvation through His Son, Jesus, Emmanuel(God with us)and by His Spirit we can come.

• 1 month later...

Pastor Ralph this is a very important passage. For this confirms at least that Jesus and God are one. Jehovah Witnesses like to refer to God as the almighty. However, all of these texts clearly confirms that what Jesus told His apostles. Jesus said that God and him were one. This was one of the reasons that Jesus was crucified by the Jews. They felt Jesus committed the sin of blasphemy against God. However, after Jesus showed himself unto Thomas (which I mentioned in Q 1) he proclaimed My Lord and My God. Jesus never rebuked Thomas for saying this. Now here in Revelation both God and Jesus says I am the Alpha and the Omega the beginning and the end. Which also confirms Genesis 1:26 Let us make God in our own image. The word our is plural which means there is more than one. Who was the our image referring to? It could not be the angels for the Word of God says that we were made a little lower than the angels. And Jesus says that we will be made like the angels who are neither male or female. The only reference this could be to is Jesus Christ. These texts and references in Revelation confirms what Jesus was saying was the truth. The message He was teaching is all confirmed in the Word of God and now in the person in Christ as the faithful witnesses. All that was needed in the time of Christ was two or three witnesses. Which was another reason that the Pharisees brought in false witnesses in order to condemn Jesus. This proves to me that not only is God and Jesus one, but the message He has given us by forty authors is true. We can count on the Scripture being the inerrant Word of God.

I too have the words of Jesus printed in red and all but 21:6 are in red, yet my footnote even on that one is about God our Savior offering salvation for those who are thirsty for the water of eternal life. The significance of it all to me is God the Father and Jesus and The Holy Spirit are one. All of the Trinity were from the first and will be the there at the last.

Most important is this.....Blessed are those who wash their robes and have the right to the tree of life. Outside will be those who are immoral, murderers and idolaters and those who practice falsehoods. And the Spirit and the Bride say "Come" and let the hearers say "Come" and whoever is thirsty let him come and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life."

This tells me our Father offers to all, every tribe, tongue and nation, the free gift of salvation through His Son, Jesus, Emmanuel(God with us)and by His Spirit we can come.

Dear Lion of Grace,

Some Bibles print verses in Red that would refer to God and Jesus as one. They do designate them 8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Rev 1:7-8 (KJV)separate when they would refer to Jesus as God. So I can understand the confusion for you. But Pastor Ralph is right! Revelations 1: 8 refers to God 8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Rev 1:7-8 (KJV) Jehovah Witnesses always refers to God as the Almighty God. They do not put Jesus on the same level as God. I hope this makes a little more sense for you.

• 1 month later...

Jesus = God. The Father and I are one. John 10:30. For unto us a child is born. Unto us a Son is given. And the government shall be upon His shoulders. And His name shall be called wonderful, counselor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, the prince of peace. Isa 9:6.

• 2 weeks later...

God is the everlasting Father. His name is above those in heaven and on earth. God was here in the beginning and He will be here for the ending. There is none like God. This text also shows that Christ is God in the flesh. The name Emmanuel means God is with us. Even Thomas acknowledged this when he my Lord and my God! This text support Jesus and God being one. The Holy Spirit would be included in the godhead. I do not have to understand this, only believe it. This is about having faith as a small child.

• 1 month later...

In 1:8 God is saying that he is the beginning and the end,that he is and he was and he is the one to come on earth again.

and 21:6 is saying that is the beginning and the end and he will give to anyone that wants salvation.

This is telling me that God and Jesus are one person.

• 1 month later...

Jesus &the Father are one the same they are alpha & omega

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We have our faith.....Christ is our savior.....Grace is given to us....a free gift....the Holy Spirit guides us.....lives with us.....the most important life giving gift is handed to us......salvation......by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ for our sins......we are promised our due.....according to what we are....what we do.....but God also outlines for us.....what will lose us His Grace and love.

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death." (Revelation 21:6-8 NIV)

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

In my study bible it is easy to see where Jesus is speaking because it is in red. The significance for our understanding of who Jesus is, is that both the Father (God) and Jesus (Son) were both at the beginning of creation of the world, they are the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end. They are a part of the Godhead (deity). Gen. 1:26

• 4 weeks later...

Revelation 1:8 states beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Lord God is the beginning and the end. Alpha and Omega are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet. The Father is eternal! He restates this in 21:6. Jesus also states in 1: 17 and in 22: 12 - 13. We believe in a triune God. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. All three are one. And the Alpha and Omega. Jesus is the Son of God, but he is also God and the Holy Spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

For my own life, v. 8 tells me that our Creator is EVERYTHING from beginning to end of all that is and will be. That means I don't need anything else......I am his Creation and all things are known to our Creator. He is so HOLY we cannot in our own essence as human beings begin to fully understand how Great this being is. When we come into this Creator's essence, we too will fall on our knees. Through the LOVE of this Creator that we call Jesus, we are given reassurance and a Love so Deep that it is beyond human understanding. I learned a long time ago not to worry about what I call the "conjunctions" of God. Just TRUST and know that his love will be sufficient for any need this lowly human might have. Despite my faults and flaws, it is through his Grace that I find my way home and into safety beyond anything this world can ever offer us.

God the Father Almighty has always been, is, and will be forever. God is eternal and everlasting. In verses 1:17 and 22:12-3, Jesus Christ is making the same claim.

In understanding who Jesus is John sums it up best in John1:1-2: "In the being was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning." Furthermore: "Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In Him was life, and that life was the light of men." John 1:3-4

• 4 months later...

Rev. 1:8 describes the Father as ". . . Alpha and Omega, the Beginnings and the Ending, . . ., which is and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty".

Rev. 1:11 describes Jesus as ". . ., I am Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last: and . . .".

Rev 1:17-18 says ". . . Fear not; I am the first and the last. I am He that liveth, and was dead; and behold, I am alive forever more; Amen, . . .".

These verses give us the impression that Jesus, although God's Son, is actually the Lord God Himself. Jesus has the power and sovereignity to cause events to happen just as they are descried by our Lord God. He carries out the end of time just as the Lord God. They both are the same person---Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the Ending, the First and the Last.

Our first glimpse of the Trinity comes from Genesis 1:21, ". . ., And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters". Here the Spirit of God represents the Holy Spirit. Next the first glimpse of the oneness of Lord God and Jesus Christ is in Genesis 1:26, ". . . Let US make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness:. . .". It's wonderful to as the Trinity works together for the good of mankind; each with their own duties, yet they are One (unified).

As we read in the book of John 1:1, it is written, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,, and THE WORD WAS GOD". The Word of God represents Jesus Christ and God within whom Jesus resides. In vs 14, John writes, "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, . . . ". Here, Jesus is sent to live with humans; this is the only way the Glory of God can be seen in the NT. Also Jesus was sent to die on the cross for all humanity. I was God's way of walking among His creation, loving us beyond comprehension and save us from our sins. Yes, Jesus died for our sins so we who believe in Him will have "everlasting life". Live in eternity with the Trinity---God the Father, God the Son and the Holy Spirit.

All the above collectively shows us that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are all One---the Godhead. Their love for us, is so great, we humans are not worthy of such love; however, we were crated in the image of God--who is Love--He loves us unconditionally Turning to God through Jesus Christ by faith is the only way to see God in all His glory one day.

I think Colossians 1:14-22 sums it all up perfectly:

"In who we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins. Who is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of every creature. For by Him all things were created, that are in Heaven and that are in the Earth, visible or invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him, and for Him. And He is before all things, and by Him all things consist. And He is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the first-born from the dead; that in all things he might have pre-eminence. For it pleased the Father that in Him should all fullness dwell. . . In the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy and unblamable and unreprovable in His sight".

• 1 year later...

I am Alpha and Omega” (Rev1:8)- the 1st and the last letters of the Greek alphabet I see this as God’s affirmation of  His distinctive qualities – omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient – implying His Divinity and it’s obvious here that God is much more than we can ever comprehend, as mentioned in Isaiah:  “Who has done this and carried it through, calling forth the generations from the beginning? I, the LORD - with the first of them and with the last--I am he." (Is.41:4)

It’ll be interesting to note that “Christ is also the head of the church, which is his body. He is the beginning, supreme over all who rise from the dead. So he is first in everything” (Col 1:18) - a divinely inspired writing of Paul  - here it is applied to Christ, while Rev 1:8 it refers to God.

While Rev 21:6 says “Then He said to me, "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost.

It is done – very much similar the phrase which appears in John 19:30, where Jesus says on the cross “It is finished” – this is an implication the job has been accomplished, so those redeemed will be prepared for the next stage of life which is of an eternal state. God’s reaffirmation is recapitulated to emphasize His Greatness. And lastly to those who have thirsted after God’s righteousness, He will quench their thirst freely.

Rev 1:17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last.

The apostle John who used to rest on Jesus’ chest during the Saviour’s days of flesh, was overwhelmed with astonishment and fear at the sight of the manifestation of the glory of Son of God, so much so he fell in adoration. We in one way or the other need this glimpse of God’s glory to excite our faith and attain spiritual fear.

As in the days of old in (Dan 8 & 10) 8: I was left alone, gazing at this great vision; I had no strength left, my face turned deathly pale and I was helpless & 10: A hand touched me and set me trembling on my hands and knees.

These are instances which can rekindle one’s faith life – we sometimes need a jolt. Perhaps, John could also have reminded himself of his previous experience at Transfiguration where John had his first glorious glimpse of Jesus, during which they fell to the ground and Jesus told them “Do not be afraid”. Today for many Christians "There is no fear of God before their eyes." (Rom 3:18) and many do not say to themselves “Let us fear the LORD our God....”. (Jer 5:24) Fear of the Lord must always prevail in every Christian – Jesus is the Lord because at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth (Philippians 2:10)

• 1 month later...

2a)It tells us the Father is the Alpha and the Omega the Beginning and the End. From him which is, and which was, and which is to come.The completeness and totality of God.The Father gives to the thirsty the water of life at no cost.Rev 4:11Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.

.b)The description meanings being the same, tells us none other than God can share in the titles of God. Jesus has divine attributes, He is coming back again soon,His reward is with him, and he gives to each as he deserves,he holds the keys of hell and of death. Both the Father and Jesus are eternal and have been alive before the foundation of the world (John 17:24). The only way to the Father is through Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

This tells us that the Father is the beginning and the end. It states that He always was, always is and always will be the greatest. We need to understand that the Father created the Son. The Son is a part of God but He is not the almighty, the most powerful. He still needs to obey the Father, pray to Him and worship Him just as we do now.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...