JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Father and the Son

Q2. What does this tell us about the Father? The Father is the speaker here in 1:8 and in 21:6. But Jesus is the speaker in 1:17 and 22:12-13. What is the significance of this for our understanding of who Jesus is?

God is the first and last the creator thus being the head of all.

Jesus also says he is the Alpha and Omega. Making himself one with God. He will be the head of the new kingdom, King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All passages point to the sovereignty of G-d and Christ, however, when I read Rev 1:17, I noted the difference between Rev 1:8, Christ "laid his right hand on me and said". The distinction between the two is that Christ touched John. In Rev 1:8, the literal translation reads that G-d is the Almighty, sovereign one. His human qualities are given to us through the embodiment of G-d in Christ. Because G-d is Holy, Pure and Sovereign, He cannot walk on earth with us nor can He physically touch us. This is why He came to earth through Christ so that He might dwell with us. He is also telling us that Christ is also the Alpha and the Omega, that He too is sovereign.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Q2. What does this tell us about the Father? The Father is the speaker here in 1:8 and in 21:6. But Jesus is the speaker in 1:17 and 22:12-13. What is the significance of this for our understanding of who Jesus is?

It tells us that God and Jesus are the beginning and the end, Alpha and Omega, and the first and last. God was the first in the old testament as He dealt directly with his chosen people, and upon the realization that their wicked ways were not going to stop God had to send Jesus to be killed, and by the blood of Christ could anyone be saved. So, Jesus became the first in the New Testament, the first to be raised from the dead, as will his followers. Through Jesus is the only way you can come to God. And God and Jesus both will be there on judgement day and will have the last words in this world.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. What does 1:8 tell us about the Father?

The Father is the one true God, the beginning and the ending, He is the God of Israel, the great I AM, the covenant making God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He is the Almighty God, of whom Jesus reconciled us to with His blood.

The Father is the speaker here in 1:8 and in 21:6. But Jesus is the speaker in 1:17 and 22:12-13.

Q. What is the significance of this for our understanding of who Jesus is?

Jesus was with the Father in the beginning, our understanding of whom Jesus is, is the foundation of our salvation, Jesus is the Son of the Almighty God, the bright and morning Star; as the Father tells us in 2Peter 1:17-21 God the Father gives honor and glory to Jesus His beloved Son, and as God gave the word of prophecy, that we take heed to the light that shines in a dark place, (and the world is a dark place) for a day star will arise in our hearts; Jesus is the day star spoken of by holy men of God, by the Holy Ghost. Just as the Father told Peter, Jesus is deity, He is the Son of God, and as Revelation tells us, He is the beginning and the ending. :o

• 2 months later...

I think that the significance is that God and Jesus (as well as the Holy Spirit) are, in fact, one. I.e. the God in Three Persons is the one God. This may be difficult for some to understand, but it is perhaps the least of the mysteries that personify God the Creator, and our Heavenly Father.

It tells us that the Father is and always has been. He was before the world began--He is the beginning and the end. The significance here is that God says this is who I am and then Jesus repeats that He is those very same characteristics indicating to us what we should already know that They are one and the same through the Trinity. I love the example that is often used with water to explain the Trinity--whether water is liquid, ice, or steam...it still has the same H2O molecules, it is still water.

• 3 months later...

The Father is the Alpha and Omega. Jesus said He was the First and the Last. He says He is the Alpha and Omega, the First and the last. Therefore, Jesus and God are one in the same!!

• 1 month later...

The significance of these verses indicate that everything through eternity begins and stops with God the Father.

The significance of part 2 of the question is that not only is Jesus in complete agreement with God the Father but everything starts and stops with God (Father, Son, and Holy Ghost).

• 1 month later...

God is the Almighty, ever existing along with Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. Jesus is the one who came as a man and dwelt with us and is coming again. He has the keys to death and hell and will reward each person accordingly. His followers will receive their rewards because of their righteousness through the Blood of Christ. The Holy Spirit dwells with each believer on the earth at this time. The three persons of the God Head are always in perfect harmony and agreement on everything. There is never discension. They all always were and always will be. Hallelujah and Amen!

• 3 weeks later...

In verse eight (8) we are told that God our Father and Jesus Christ His Son are both eternal having no beginning and no end. The significance of this is that we can be assured that our Savior and Father are in harmony and are working to bring us safely home to be with them in heaven.

• 1 month later...

Q2.

What does 1:8 tell us about the Father?

The Father is the speaker here in 1:8 and in 21:6. But Jesus is the speaker in 1:17 and 22:12-13.

What is the significance of this for our understanding of who Jesus is?

Our Heavenly Father is the Alpha and the Omega, and the

• 2 months later...

Both the Father and Jesus claim to be “the one who is and was and is coming”. If Jesus quotes the Father this way, He actually claims to be one with the Father. Both are eternal, both are God (Ex. 3:14; Heb. 13:8).

• 2 weeks later...

I did not recognize the distinction. In that sense, though, the divinity of each is maybe why. Both exhibit the divinity attributed to God, although in different ways.

God the father is the beginning and the end. Who was always and will always be. The creator, the law giver and the judge of all of us.

Jesus is the living personification who has returned from death and will come again to give eternal life. (Maybe not as we know it. That's not yet clear to me.) But He will come again as He promised to give live and to rule. This world is, and will be, His. Implicit in this is that it was Jesus who walked on earth and who taught in person among the Jews. It was He who gave all of us hope and encouragement to believe.

• 3 weeks later...

The Father is the One Who Was, Is and is to come, He is everlasting. He is the Giver of living water. (life)

Jesus is depicted as the Beginning and thee End, the First and the Last. He is the Righteous Judge.

• 1 month later...

Wow reading through these posts, is a Spiritual Blessing, I really cannot add to what has been said other than God Be Praised - Father Son and Holy Spirit 3 in one. Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say Rejoice!

Answer: Revelation 1:8- I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty

Verse 18 tells us the Nature of the heavenly Father,the first and the Last,having Sovereignty over all creations,dominions,power and glory

• 3 weeks later...

The Alpha and Omega - The First and the Last -- these are to establish the GodHead as uniquely one. It is established in the beginning of Genesis -- Genesis 1:26 "Then God said, "Let US make man in OUR image, in our likeness, and let them rule..." Just as the Holy Spirit hovered in Genesis 1:2, Jesus was present, too.

God the Father is the beginning and the end. HE epitomizes the constraints and the limitlessness of time which is far beyond any human imagination or understanding. This emphasis the eternal nature of God the Father and His sovereignty. HE has chosen to make Himself known throughout the generations of the human race with the words

God the father says: I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end. He is the Almighty God.

Jesus says: I am the first and the last. Jesus is saying that He was God in Human form. He and the Father are one and the same.

• 4 weeks later...

That God is the same today as He was in the beginning and he'll be the same forever. He is God Almighty. The understanding of who Jesus is from rev. 1:17-18 is that Jesus Is the true Savior and the living God. and as long as I put my trust and faith in Him I do not have to be afraid.