JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 1:10) What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith? Which of these elements are most important? Which are less important? Which are under emphasized by the church in our day?

" and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead -- Jesus, who rescues us from the coming wrath." (1:10),

according to scriptures we are to wait on Jesus that He has risen from the dead He is our Savior and He will save us from His wrath of sin. And that He will return to get His children one day. I do not feel that you can count anyone of these elements more or less important than another. The one that I feel is less emphasized in church is the wrath that will be bestowed on people that do not believe in Jesus, the sad and hell fire is not preached as much as the others this day an time.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 1:10) What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith? Which of these elements are most important? Which are less important? Which are underemphasized by the church in our day?

It teaches us the true believers in the Word of God and coming of our Savior Jesus Christ that even through trials we are to stand firm on the promise of the Redeemer that He will return for us. Just as He took on the burdens of our sins in order for us to be reconciled to the Father so will He continue to make intercession for us until He return so that we may reign with Him eternally.

They are all important because without what He’s done for us on the cross nothing else would make sense. It all connects together and none is without the other.

I hoped the church would underemphasize none but I will say that the one I believe to see is “Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come”. If we could really see and understand what Christ did for us on the cross then we would come before Him as lost sheep and not always questioning what the Word requires of us.

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 1:10)

What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith?

Verse 10 teaches us of the following five elements of Christian faith:

1. Jesus Christ is God's Son.
  2. Jesus Christ will return.
  3. Jesus Christ has been raised from the dead.
  4. Jesus Christ is our Savior.
  5. God's wrath is coming upon sin

Which of these elements are most important? Which are less important?

I dont think there are most important than the others. I believe all of them being important as each deals with an important matter in our faith.

Which are underemphasized by the church in our day?

None

Vs 10 teaches us that Jesus is the Son of God who will come down form Heaven,He is raised from dead,and He will rescue us from the coming wrath.

All these facts are important.

What is under emphasised is sin and its consequences and the wrath of God coming upon the sinners. Its is important once we are saved , not to continue sinning but remain humble and repentant day after day. The fact that we are saved does not mean that we can be in sin and wait for the Lord to rescue us. We are now called to live a pure and holy life pleasing and acceptable to the Lord. This is not given importance most of the time.

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 1:10) What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith?

It teaches that Jesus is the Son of God, that He will return, that He has been resurrected, and that He saves us from God's wrath.

They're all important. They are the foundation of the Christian faith.

Well, these days the wrath of God is a bit under-mentioned I suppose, but as far as I know all the above teaching is happening in the church.

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 1:10)

What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith? Verse 10 teaches us everything about the Christian faith. It teaches us that Jesus is the son of God, He came into this world to redeem mankind. He died on the cross (He bored our sin, our transgress, our iniquity) He rose from the grave after 3 days and 3 nights. He finished his work and seated at the right hand of the father. He is coming back for all those who believe and the one who do not believe will face his judgment.

Which of these elements are most important? and which are less important? They all are all important, but as Paul said, the gospel hinge on the resurrection. If Christ did not get out of the grave, then all will be in vain. There is no less important. They all are very important to the salvation of mankind and the punishment of sin. For this is the very reason Jesus came to earth to redeem us from sin.

Which are under emphasized in the church today? Christ wrath on sin. Mankind is getting careless in their walk. I know God's grace is what we all will need in order to make it into heaven. But we hear little in the church today about God's wrath on sin. Sin will be punish.

You stated the answer clearly in the Bible study. Jesus is the Son of God (God), He is our Savior, He is coming back again, sin has been judged in believers, and will be judged when Jesus comes back.

The one which is underemphasized by the Church is the wrath of God against sin. Most people say, "We are all sinners, and we need a Savior. Jesus is that savior. Trust Him and you will be saved." This is correct, but does not go far enough. Saying that "we are all sinners" is too generic. I believe that entailed in salvation is, "I sinned, by doing such and such and so and so." In my case, stubbornness, pride, and an extremely independent spirit. It is difficult to let God have control. Then, we REPENT of those things, changing not only our minds, but forsaking the sins. The repentance is done by God (Acts 11:18 and 2 Timothy 2:25), and the change are done by God -- HE transforms us (2 Corinthians 3:18) -- but we must confess with God what He is saving us from. Then, He can change it.

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 1:10) What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith?

Verse 10 teach five foundational truths which are at the core of the gospel and the Christian faith.

1. Jesus Christ is God's Son.

2. Jesus Christ will return.

3. Jesus Christ has been raised from the dead.

4. Jesus Christ is our Savior.

5. God's wrath is coming upon sin.

These principles are foundational to the Christian faith. Which means they are the base or basis of all Christians’ faith?

All are equally important.

God’s wrath is coming upon sin is underemphasized by the church today. People cannot comprehend that a good God can allow evil, sin, suffering, or that He will punish anyone.

1.Wait upon the Lord and Jesus is our Saviour. As surely as he died on the cross and rose from the grave He will come again.

2. All are important we are to study God's word and live our life as if today is the day of his return.We as belivers know that Jesus is God our Holy Saviour.

3.The Holy Spirit. It is hard for people to realize that they are in complete without Jesus Christ in their lives. We need faith and hope in our lives to know that there is a Second Coming and many don' have it.

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 1:10) What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith? Which of these elements are most important? Which are less important? Which are underemphasized by the church in our day?

This verse teaches that the Christian faith revolves around the fact that Jesus is the Son of God, raised from the dead and coming again to rescue the believer from the coming wrath of God.

Each element of this verse is of equal importance because they are equal parts to the whole message of the Gospel.

In today's world the coming wrath of God is ignored or down played. The message is out of balance. God's love is emphasized while everything else regarding the Christian walk is down played.

Hebrews 9:28- So Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people, and he will appear a second time , not to bear sin , but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.

Our true faith in Christ in verse 10 is based on the above word of God too. we have put our faith in Jesus Chrsit who has washed away our sins by his precious blood and we wait expectantly for his coming who was raised from the dead and he will save us from the wrath of the enemy.

It is the Bible in synposis all together in 1. It gives us why we believe. Jesus is the Son of God, he is alive, risen, rose from the dead, and reigns with God on the right hand. He is our Savior and takes all the my sins on him and best of all he WILL return.

What this verse teaches us is that Jesus is the Son of God, that He has risen from the dead, and He will rescue us from the coming wrath which is God's judgment upon sin.

The most inportant of these is Christ resurrection from the dead. If Jesus had remained in His tomb,then Satan would have won and mankind would be forever lost in sin and without hope.

• 2 weeks later...

This verse teaches us that our faith is all about our relationship with a real person who we are waiting to return to take us home. Many churches do not teach about the danger of wrath because it scares people. This is a sobering thought since Christianity is not a rejectable option for anyone that doesn't want to experience the wrath of God. Every person who is born again and going to heaven is doing so because he or she has been saved and delivered from the wrath of God

Waiting for Jesus from heaven, raised from the dead, delivered from the wrath to come

Which is most important? Hmmm I think they are all important. If I had to pick one I might say waiting. We are an instant pudding lot and I don't think waiting is often very easy for the people of today. Maybe it never has been easy.

I can't say any are less important.

The underemphasized might be the wrath to come. People don't like to talk about wrath and their itching little ears want to hear about God is love (He is) and everything is all warm and fuzzy.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

• 3 weeks later...

That Jesus is the Son of God.

That Jesus died for ALL the sins of man.

The Jesus was resurrected and is alive.

That will come again to resurrect us, the believers.

And there is a wrath to come to unbelievers.

That we are to wait for Him to come.

Which of these elements are most important? That Jesus died for our sins and will return. i think these are the most important, though they are intertwined to make up the basis of Christian faith, I notice in the first one that Jesus is the Son of God: is missing He was born of a virgin mother. I also believe this importatnat. As it shows He was human and not just a deity. This making Him subject to sin, which He did not do. Making Him a perfect sacrifice.

Which are less important?

None are less important. They all make up the total person of Christ.

Christs return is the most under emphasized. It makes my heart fill with joy to know someday He will return for me. It shows me that I am important to him, and he has recognized me. Though it also means others have not accepted what he freely offered and will not be saved, that hurts my heart.

• 4 weeks later...

Verse 10 teaches us Christians that Jesus is God’s son that He is going to return that He has been raised from the dead, that He is our savior and that we will be saved from God’s wrath. I think that all these elements are important. I think that if we don’t believe in any one of these elements that we probably aren’t a Christian.

The thing that is underemphasized by the church today is the wrath of God. They are teaching that God is only a loving God and that there will be no wrath.

• 2 weeks later...

Verse 10 teaches is to wait for the Son of God from heaven, God raised the Son from the dead, and The Son will rescue us from the wrath to come! Thank you Lord Jesus.

All five elements are important. I believe none is more or less important than the other. I can't speak for other churches, but, the church I attend all five are equally emphasized as being very important.

Verse 10 summarises the Christian faith - that we need to believe that Jesus is the Son of God. That He gave up his sinless life to give us salvation and He rose from the dead to prove that He is alive and will return to unite with us.

All these elements are important as our faith and destiny will not be complete if any one of the elements are missing.

Most churches talk about the Second Coming of Christ and the Rapture but not much emphasis is given to be ready for that as no one knows the time and day it will happen. The question that we should ask is; will we be ready?, The church should prepare the congregation for the big event

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (1 Thessalonians 1:10) What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith? Which of these elements are most important? Which are less important? Which are underemphasized by the church in our day

Christ's death

Ressurection

Ascention

His return

Judgement

I think when it talks of rescuing us from the "wrath" to come we see an aspect of the faith that is sometimes neglected

1 Thessalonians 1:10 NIV

[10] and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead---Jesus, who rescues us from the coming wrath.

(1 Thessalonians 1:10) What does verse 10 teach us about the Christian faith? Which of these elements are most important? Which are less important? Which are underemphasized by the church in our day?

This is the gospel message in a nutshell, and no element is more important than any other. How ever some areas are given less of an airing than others in the church today.  The word "wrath" has to images to me.  God's anger at the unbelievers and God's love for us.  We do not know when his Son from heaven will return but must be ready.

We wait for Jesus, who is coming back from heaven; he is God's son - God raised Jesus from the dead after Jesus had died as penalty for our sin; Jesus delivers us from the wrath to come (when God will judge the world).

This is best to understand when we think of God's wrath against sin like a bush fire, if you want to be safe you have to burn some ground ahead of the bush fire and then step onto the already scorched ground. When we belong to Jesus our sin has already been dealt with on the cross and when God will judge the world his wrath will find nothing in us to burn away.

It is important that Jesus is coming back for us and that God will judge the world but it is not important to know when and how that will happen, as long as we are ready.

Both these important elements are under-emphasized by the church nowadays probably as over-reaction to previous generation's preaching of doom and the fear which has been created then. 

But only if we know that we have to account for what we have done and that we never can live up to God's holiness we can see our need for salvation. He can't just overlook our “small mistakes” - any sin is completely incompatible with his holiness and only in Jesus we can have fellowship with God, who dearly loves us and doesn't want us to perish.

God hates sin but loves the sinner and wants him to become free from the power and punishment of sin.