JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Correcting Character Flaws

Q2. (1 Thessalonians 2:3-6) Which of the character flaws mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the church?

Talk about an impossible question to answer! The answer to which character flaws are the greatest problems depends on which branch of the Church we examine. In some denominations it's pride, in some it's greed, in some it's misguided beliefs, in some it's the desire for power, in some it's the desire for a good reputation.

Why do you say that?

Because I've been around a long time and unfortunately I've had experience with various denominations over the years that lead me to believe they had the above mentioned problems. I come from a reformed background and I've heard the pentecostal movement slammed for being wrong. I've worked with pentecostal churches who genuinely think the reformed denominations aren't even Christians. I've worked with churches that seemed to me to be focused on fundraising above all else.

We live in the world and despite our best efforts not to become conformed to the pattern of this world, that's what invariably ends up happening.

How can you prevent one of these character flaws from overtaking you?

I reckon it's best to focus on God and what He requires of me. The old song by Petra comes to mind here: I wanna be a God-pleaser, don't wanna be a man-pleaser.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1 Thessalonians 2:3-6) Which of the character flaws mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the church? Why do you say that? How can you prevent one of these character flaws from overtaking

Ans. The character flaw most noted in the church is men pleasing. I’ve noticed how careful the leadership of the church is when preaching or teaching the gospel. They seem as though they don’t want to say anything to offend the congregants by telling the truth. Paul mentions that all he taught was according to scripture not his gospel but the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If we are teaching according to the Word of God then we should not worry because it will be done in order. We need to be able to stand boldly for righteousness and not sugar coat the Word in order to please man.

Flattery Paul preached in a way that everyone could understand. Church leaders thrive on praise and flattery.

to answer this question this must happen in churches Jesus must INCREASE, we must DECREASE

Every character flaw mentioned in the verses 3: 6 are hindrances in spreading the pure and holy Gospel of Christ Jesus. impure motives, love for money, seeking fame and glory for oneself, being pleasers of men, seeking apprection from people, being self righteous, proud and having control over others whom the Lord has put under our care all these do not allow us to establish the Kingdom of God.

humbling ourselves everyday in prayer before the Lord most high - leaning on to his Word and depending on the Holy Spirit to lead us and examining our lives in His God's presence and basing oursleves on the Word of God can lead us to preach the Gospel as Paul did.

:wub: The greatest flaw is trickery and intentional deceit this

is one of the things a lots of churches have and the reason why

a lot of people are not in churches or have been hurt in churches

because of this.I say because when you look at t.v.every one is

looking for money or tell you how to get bless if you send them this

amount of money all of our blessing is on God word we are the

one that have to go by his word and not all of the deciet that we see

on t.v.

People pleasers are most damaging to a Church. People pleasers can and will be lead down the paths of embracing the wrong belief; unsavory reasonings; playing 3-card molly; lining one's pockets or pocket books; and selfisness. Because they don't stand for something they fall for anything.

I must remain humble and live a holy life. I have to embrace the life of Christ. The struggle or tension is inherent in our daily living. For that reason, we have to pray for strength, conviction and guidance. We also must study the Word because the Bible has answers for each and every situation.

Q2. (1 Thessalonians 2:3-6) Which of the character flaws mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the church? Why do you say that? How can you prevent one of these character flaws from overtaking you?

Misguided beliefs I was misguided and now realize the traps daily I could fall in.

The character flaw which I believe is the greatest problem in the church today is, 4) being men-pleasers.

So many churches today tell the people what the want to hear rather than remaining true to the teachings of the Bible.

I can hopefully prevent one or more of these character flaws from overtaking my Christian walk by reading my bible,spending time in prayer, and attending a church that preaches the true gospel.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (1 Thessalonians 2:3-6) Which of the character flaws mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the church? Why do you say that? How can you prevent one of these character flaws from overtaking you?

Pleasing men and not God. We to walk worthy of our Lord regardless of what men say or think.

Humble yourself before your Lord, pray and read the Word.

God Bless

Jen

Romans 15:13

• 1 month later...

I think that pride is the character flaw is the greatest problem in the church. We all like to brag about what we have done for the church and Christ rather than talk about what Christ has done for us. The way to prevent this character flaw from overtaking me is to humble and always recognize that is always God that is protecting me.

• 2 weeks later...

The greatest flaw in the church I attend is self-righteousness. It is becoming a problem and it really turns of the congregation because it is coming from some of those on the ministerial staff. If you are constantly telling people they are going to hell for this or that, sooner or later they are not coming back or will think they must be like you to go to heaven, which is also wrong. It really turns me off. The best solution for me is find another church to attend or just sit back on the ministerial staff and let it happen since the pastor is not doing anything about it. Pray for God to give me a better solutions!

Which of the character flaws mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the church?

I believe the greatest problem in the church is man-pleasing

Why do you say that?

The pastor and the church leadership have become man-pleasers to ensure their 'survival' in the church. The pastor lacks the boldness to admonish the congregation when they compromise Christian values. He preaches what the congregation wants to hear and avoids confronting the members out of fear that they may leave the church. They make popular decisions and are guided by the congregation's requests rather that focusing on Christ.

How can you prevent one of these character flaws from overtaking you?

I believe that if we are focused on Christ and try to abide in His Spirit, we will be able to overcome the character flaws. Always ensure that our actions and words are rooted in the Bible.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1219

1 Thessalonians 2:3-6 NIV

[3] For the appeal we make does not spring from error or impure motives, nor are we trying to trick you. [4] On the contrary, we speak as those approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please people but God, who tests our hearts. [5] You know we never used flattery, nor did we put on a mask to cover up greed---God is our witness. [6] We were not looking for praise from people, not from you or anyone else, even though as apostles of Christ we could have asserted our authority.

Ok Paul rattles out some ways that..he did not share the gospel ( ie make his appeal v2)..so he

Shared with pure motives not Impure motives

Shared truth not Error

Shared to bless not to trick

Shared to please God not People

Shared without manipulating Flattery

Shared not for the Praise of man

Paul ministers as one who has been entrusted a special work, and knows that God will not only test his work (1 cor 3:11-15) but also his motivation...ie He " tests our hearts"

Today ( as in Paul's day) many minister out of selfish motivation or in error ( phil 1:17).

I suppose i find it hard to narrow down- ie which one is the greatest challenge today...because they all do...I think though, if we like Paul have hearts that truly want to please God...then all the other bits will eventually get sorted!! (maybe thats a bit naive) .

I suppose what I am saying is that man pleasing (rather than God pleasing) leads to compromise, flattery, selfishness, manipulation, trickery...whereas a heart that want to please God will minister with integrity...and I think a heart like that will be mouldable (so open to correction from error).

• 2 weeks later...

Which is the greatest problem? ALL OF THEM!! Some churches have a few problems and others are just getting by with pleasing the congregation to keep it together so they can have a building called church. The people need an Awakening that will cause them to be the church whether they are inside of a tent or preaching the word under a bridge. The old revivals, not revival services, had power in them because the truth was told. We need that now. If we maintain the truth we will stand as Paul and move forward with pure motives.

• 3 weeks later...

Which of the character flaws mentioned in these verses is the greatest problem in the church? Why do you say that? How can you prevent one of these character flaws from overtaking you?

I think that we share out of love and that we do things out of genuine love for others.  I know the pastor shares how he witnesses and that we need to witness for the right reasons.  The church leadership is always looking for opportunities to bring others that do not know Jesus like we had the Lord's living supper where we had our homegrown actors portray the disciples at the last supper trying to answer the question that Jesus said that one of them will betray Him.  We also have live streaming every Sunday to have others around the world see our service through this medium. The church is always reaching out to women and men through various weekly bible studies.  Reaching out to our youth through AWANA, middle school yout group, high school youth group, college group and the X, Ys group as well as a divoice group and an addictions group. 

I feel that I have sometimes witness for the wrong reasons in the past.  I finally have come to the conclusion through my trial and error in witnessing that I need to have God in control and not myself.    

I believe it is reputation or fame.

People want to feel good about themselves and want others to say that he or she is doing an excellent job.

I can keep those flaws from overtaking me by staying focused on the larger prize which is Christ, staying in the Word, having an active prayer life, and not going into places I am not suppose to be in (resisting temptation).

• 1 month later...

The biggest character flaw is that a lot of churches and church leaders are doing things to please man and not God. My husband and I have witnessed a lot of churches in our area compromising the truth and dishonoring God's house in order to please the congregation for fear that they will lose their position or members. I work in the trenches with people that are hungry for the truth, hungry for something real and serving them keeps me focused on God's purpose for His ministry.

The biggest character flaw is that a lot of churches and church leaders are doing things to please man and not God. My husband and I have witnessed a lot of churches in our area compromising the truth and dishonoring God's house in order to please the congregation for fear that they will lose their position or members. I work in the trenches with people that are hungry for the truth, hungry for something real and serving them keeps me focused on God's purpose for His ministry.

• 3 weeks later...

Impure motive (love of money and power); men pleaser; greed and fame are flaws that are problematic in the church.  Every preacher these days are talking about offering so that people will be blessed; other calling TV station to televise them healing people.  Healing services have become the marketing strategy.  Preachers have become motivation speakers using similar gimmicks or ‘catch phrases’.  One has to focus and fix one’s eyes on to Jesus Christ our Lord and saviour.  

• 1 year later...

The largest and most frequent flaw is misguided truth- "wandering from the path of truth, error,". To often people preach what they believe rather than the truth of God. Tied into this is flattery- preaching what people want to hear rather than the gospel message.

Prayer and bible study appear to be the answer. 

• 6 months later...

Unfortunately, I have seen all of these problem flaws in my current congregation. I am not sure how to judge them by greater to least. I have a feeling that more than one of these will guide a person's action at a time. To me, they all go hand in hand.

I find that I pray a lot to have myself helped by God and the Holy Spirit to keep me on the right path. I know that there is no gray area with these. There is a very thin line between the positive and the negative. And only by the grace of God can I stand on the positive side.

• 1 year later...

The character flaws that are the greatest in the church today appears to be from what I have witnessed is; men -pleasers, telling people what they want to hear and flattery, appaling to peoples vanities.

To prevent one of these character flaws from overtaking one is to remember that Christ is the one I serve, not my own interest.