JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Mary's Nudge

It would have been a complete embarrassment for the wedding to run out of wine. It would have made the family look very bad. The fact that Mary knew about the wine would lead me to believe that the groom was related to her and to Jesus. It did not appear that all the guests knew about the problem.

I feel that her words to Jesus were appropriate she had a personal concern and she was letting her son in  on the conversation. I feel that Jesus was telling her that He did not have permission yet from the Father to start to do any miracles. Every thing had to be done on God's time schedule not ours. I believe that Jesus was given permission by God to go ahead and do this miracle now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because this would be a life long shame as well as financial hardship for this young couple. She also knew that Jesus was capable & would help.

Yes, she showed submission & faith, in the fact that Jesus would help by choosing when to & what to do. She did not "nag" him.

Avery mild/slight rebuke.

Jesus is compassionate. I also think that he knew that the truth of his miracle getting out to the masses was very small. I think he knew that this miracle would be kept to the few servants, Mary, Jesus and his disciples.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (John 2:3-5) Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host's problem?  Are her words to Jesus appropriate?  Would you categorize Jesus' reply as a rebuke? If so, why does he go ahead with the miracle?

1) The wedding appears to have been a “family” affair and to run out of wine at a Jewish wedding feast would have been a humiliation to the groom’s family.  Mary had faith in Jesus’ power and by pushing Him to solve the problem she forced Him for the first time to use His gifts to publicly benefit others and he provided above and beyond her expectations.  2) As a mother, yes.  Knowing His divine mission, and that he told her specifically that His time had not come yet, no.  3) Not necessarily, He referred to her as “woman” which seems to differentiate his personal relationship with her as His mother from His ministerial relationship with her.  Nowhere in the text does it even remotely indicate that she was upset or hurt by His words so, no I wouldn’t really consider it a rebuke.  4) I believe Jesus’ actions indicate that He looked upon her request with favor since He provided much more wine than anyone could have imagined.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Q2. (John 2:3-5) Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host’s problem? Are her words to Jesus appropriate? Would you categorize Jesus’ reply as a rebuke? If so, why does he go ahead with the miracle?

Well like others have said Mary was probably a family member and wanted to help avoid an embarrassment.

I believe that she was loving her family by trying to avoid this problem in so doing she approached the only person who could help. Jesus. So it was appropriate.

Yes it was a rebuke. But he honored his mother.

• 2 months later...

Mary the Lords mother had lived with her son for close to thirty years. She understood some thing we are yet to or in the process of grasping.she placed a demand in FAITH not wavering,and she spoke her expectation out, she released her faith into action.She was a good student of her son, she knew this truth long before Jesus taught His disciples. 11:23-24.

• 4 weeks later...

Mary had full confidence that Jesus could provide a miraculous solution to the embarrassing problem that would dishonor the wedding's host (likely her own relative).  But I take her “push” in a different way.  She didn't tell Jesus what to do, she just told Him of the problem and then told the servants to obey whatever Jesus might tell them to do.  She was certainly insinuating that Jesus should take action, but she didn't “order” Him to do something.  She made her request clear, but then respected His word of caution and left the decision to Jesus.

I think this may have been the first time her son had ever openly challenged her directives.  But I also think, as He addressed her as “woman” rather than “mother”, she recognized it was that first moment of practical distinction between Jesus, her precious son, and Jesus, the Son of God.  All His life, she had probably dreaded the heartbreaking moment ahead when she must let go of her son and fully release Him to the will and plan of Yahweh, but that time had finally come.  I don't think Jesus' words were a rebuke that insulted or dishonored His mother.  I am certain He would have spoken with complete tenderness, understanding, and respect for His mother with full awareness of that difficult point they had reached. It was the time when He must separate his family relationships from His Father's will.  She was no longer in authority over Him as He now became her Lord.

Evidently, Jesus was given inner assurance by the Father to go ahead and perform this first sign that publicly manifest His glory (John 2:11).  He had made it clear to Mary that He wouldn't do it because of her desire or position as His mother, but only according to the Father's will and timing.  I think that may have been the whole purpose for this exchange – to make that distinction clear to Mary and all of us.  Jesus never did/does anything just because of our needs or desires.  Ultimately, He acted because of what the Father directed Him to do.

• 11 months later...

Q2. (John 2:3-5) Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host's problem? Are her words to Jesus appropriate? Would you categorize Jesus' reply as a rebuke? If so, why does he go ahead with the miracle?

Mary was like a lot of women at family events. It seems the closer the relation/friendship the more concerned they are that everything goes well. Mary saw a problem and moved to solve it in order to help the host. Her words to Jesus were appropriate as like most mothers she goes to the ones familiar to her for help. She knew her son could solve the problem. Jesus was not rebuking His mother. He was simply reminding her of His mission. Jesus probably realized Mary was not listening and He simply honored her request. How many times have our mothers asked of us and we knew arguing or refusing was a moot point. It was just a better thing to honor her wishes.

• 1 year later...

What came to mind while contemplating on this question was recalling the words that Jesus spoke during the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew’s gospel?

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. Matthew 7:7

Of course, Jesus, knew what Mary was going to ask him but his response to Mary was questioning her motive behind asking him to use his power to make more wine for the wedding feast.

Sometimes, we have expectations when we ask God in prayer to give us what we need. Often times we are blind to our selfish motives behind or prayer.

Jesus is not saying to Mary a straight out No! Instead he was asking her to assess her motive behind her request.

If I was at a celebration and the people around me were well on the way of getting drunk and I was asked to go down to the hotel and buy more alcohol I would have second thoughts if I would be doing the right thing by everyone.

Recall the scripture in James 4:3 – “You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions”.

Now in the context of the wedding feast Mary was not asking Jesus for selfish reasons but to have the people she cared about to benefit.

What came to mind while contemplating on this question was recalling the words that Jesus spoke during the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew’s gospel?

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. Matthew 7:7

Of course, Jesus, knew what Mary was going to ask him but his response to Mary was questioning her motive behind asking him to use his power to make more wine for the wedding feast.

Sometimes, we have expectations when we ask God in prayer to give us what we need. Often times we are blind to our selfish motives behind or prayer.

Jesus is not saying to Mary a straight out No! Instead he was asking her to assess her motive behind her request.

If I was at a celebration and the people around me were well on the way of getting drunk and I was asked to go down to the hotel and buy more alcohol I would have second thoughts if I would be doing the right thing by everyone.

Recall the scripture in James 4:3 – “You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions”.

Now in the context of the wedding feast Mary was not asking Jesus for selfish reasons but to have the people she cared about to benefit.

• 2 months later...
On 8/8/2014 at 6:37 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (John 2:3-5) Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host’s problem? Are her words to Jesus appropriate? Would you categorize Jesus’ reply as a rebuke? If so, why does he go ahead with the miracle?

This was a social embarrassment and Mary wanted to help so she said to Jesus “the wine has run out”. She was insinuating that Jesus could do something about it – she knew who He was and that He had extraordinary capabilities. If anyone could solve the problem Jesus could – He did not rebuke her. He said in effect “lady, I have a calling that you cannot partake in and I must fulfil it.”  My calling goes beyond being your son.”  She must now see Him as her Lord. Every detail of His life was marked out by His Father and He must act only as the Father directs.

Quoting from the BNTC - The words, “My hour has not yet come,” clearly indicate Christ's consciousness of the fact that he was accomplishing a task entrusted to him by the Father, every detail of which had been definitely marked off in the eternal decree; so that for each act there was a stipulated moment. (See also Joh_7:6, Joh_7:8; Joh_7:30; Joh_8:20; Joh_12:23; Joh_13:1; and Joh_17:1.) When Jesus knew that this moment had arrived, he would act, not before.

Somehow Mary understood that Jesus would do something at the proper time and instructed the servants to do whatever He asked of them. The Father must have indicated what Jesus was to do. This was a notable miracle and John records it as “the first of his signs”, that is the signs that He was the promised Messiah.  Six stone jars holding a total of 100 to 150 gallons!  News of this would have travelled fast!  Jesus went ahead with this miracle because it was in the centre of His Father’s will.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the reason that Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host’s problem is because in her heart she knew that his time had come. She knew he could solve the problem and he did. I think that her words were appropriate because he did solve the problem. I would categorize Jesus’ reply as one answering his mother. We don’t know what the custom was at the time but I would have addressed her as mother or mom. I think that he went ahead with the miracle because he probably knew that his mother was right.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (John 2:3-5) Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host's problem? I think she knows he can solve the wine problem.   I also think she knows he will not do anything until he is asked to do so.

Are her words to Jesus appropriate? Do whatever he asks implies that Mary knows Jesus can and will solve the problem of the lack of wine. 

Would you categorize Jesus' reply as a rebuke? I do not think Jesus' reply to Mary was rebuke, I think He may have been waiting for His opportunity to address the problem, or just enjoying the party without concern about the wine. 

• 4 months later...

I believe she pushed for it because she was a relative of the host and she didn't want him to be embarrassed by running out of wine. 

No since he rebuked her for them.

Yes since he called her woman instead of mother. 

To keep the host from being embarrassed by running out of wine. 

• 5 months later...

Mary would have been a close relative to the groom’s family for she shows awareness that wine is over. To run out of wine was a social embarrassment and she cared the family enough that they do not go through such a social disgrace. All through her lifetime there would have been gossips and people talking behind her back that she had become pregnant before Joseph and Mary had come together in marriage. Her moral standards would have been questioned and she lived through all that in spite of knowing that she had been divinely impregnated and that Jesus is the Son of God. Probably she thought this is the time for her vindication. If Jesus does a miracle then the people would acknowledge that He is divine and all her past griefs would be erased by that single event.

Her words to Jesus may not have been appropriate considering the response given by Jesus to her. His reply may not have been a rebuke because Jesus lived in obedience and submission to His authority, for He did obey and fulfill her request, but did it in such a way that this miracle was not for public spectacle but a low profile one and only the servants knew about it. The servants filled the water pots with water, the water looked at their Master and blushed and voila there was wine. This was then served to the Master of Ceremonies. But no investigation was made as to how such abundance of wine appeared where there was a lack of it earlier. The servants knew but their words would not be given weightage by others who heard it. Mary’s desire for vindication was also ultimately fulfilled. Even if it did not happen at the wedding of Cana, every believer believes that she was indeed a virgin when she conceived Jesus. She was the chosen vessel to bear His Son. Moreover, John’s gospel says that Law came through Moses whereas grace and truth came through Jesus. If the first miracle (plague) of Moses was to turn water into blood whereby none could drink of it, the first miracle done by Jesus was to turn water into wine which looks like blood, but it was the best wine worthy of consumption. So to provide a picture to us as well as to show that Jesus indeed lived a submissive, loving and obedient life He goes ahead with the miracle.

This was an opportunity  for Mary to introduce her son as the Messiah to her family and friends on a big scale.  Until now He was not known to all the family or the people who came from far and wide. There were still many who were not aware of who Jesus was and this was center stage, to let people know just who her son was.  By asking him to do this at a big important event, the word would spread fast and would reach many when the guest returned to their homes. Jesus was not ready to begin his ministry here, at this place.  He receives His instructions from His father per prayer, as to what God wants Him to do.  He is not doing His will, but the Fathers will in every aspect of His life and ministry.  He states this through out His ministry, "I do the will of my father, who sent me".  Jesus prays faithfully before doing anything!.  He does only what He is told to do by His Father. Jesus had already been told where to go and when to start His ministry.  He was on His way to Jerusalem to teach in the Synagoues for their Holy Festivities.  That is were His ministry was to began.  It  was to be His introduction to the religious community, and to the people. He was suppose to go and teach and tell of what God wanted for his people. That is what he meant when He say it was not yet His time. He knew that doing this would reveal Him as the Messiah.  But this wasn't the place for or time yet for Him to be known.  He needed to preach and teach the gospel before doing wonders so that people would hear the word of God first.  The wonders and miracles would show proof of who he is so that they would believe the word of him when he told them.  That is how God wanted to introduce His son to the world.  The world needed to hear the word of God and they needed to hear it through Jesus for that was the promise God gave to Israel, His chosen people.  Now at this wedding , he is being revealed before completing the assignment he was sent to do!  Now, why does Jesus perform the miracle??  It is the will of God that He is obedient to his parents and honors them, just a God expects obedience from us.  Mary knew this and perhaps in her eagerness to let people know who her son was, she over stepped and did not realize that God had his own time for his son to be known.  But God allowed it .!!!  I am not sure as to why Jesus addressed Mary in that way.  Perhaps He wanted her to know that it was more important for Him to do God's will, His heavenly Father's will, and that her role as his mother did not override that.  She was not as important. What she wanted him to do was not to be before what God wanted him to do.  He was not here to do her will. At any rate, He performed the miracle. The wine was beyond anything that was produced on earth!!  And it could not be explained nor denied that it happened! The glory of God revealed at a wedding!!. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/7/2014 at 1:37 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

(1)Possibly, to "show off" the fact that her son was the Christ, or simply to help her friends avoid the embarrassment of running out of wine so early in the feast.

(2) In my time---NO! (I'm 81)!  But in today's time and culture, probably yes!

(3) I used to think so, but now, I don't. Jesus' eyes were on the purpose of His reason for being on the earth and He didn't want to rush it.  He wanted the time so that He could complete His mission and teach His disciples before He was sent to the cross.

(4) To honor His mother's request, but, most importantly, to honor God with a miracle.

On 6/12/2019 at 8:40 PM, Paula Price said:

This was an opportunity  for Mary to introduce her son as the Messiah to her family and friends on a big scale.  Until now He was not known to all the family or the people who came from far and wide. There were still many who were not aware of who Jesus was and this was center stage, to let people know just who her son was.  By asking him to do this at a big important event, the word would spread fast and would reach many when the guest returned to their homes. Jesus was not ready to begin his ministry here, at this place.  He receives His instructions from His father per prayer, as to what God wants Him to do.  He is not doing His will, but the Fathers will in every aspect of His life and ministry.  He states this through out His ministry, "I do the will of my father, who sent me".  Jesus prays faithfully before doing anything!.  He does only what He is told to do by His Father. Jesus had already been told where to go and when to start His ministry.  He was on His way to Jerusalem to teach in the Synagoues for their Holy Festivities.  That is were His ministry was to began.  It  was to be His introduction to the religious community, and to the people. He was suppose to go and teach and tell of what God wanted for his people. That is what he meant when He say it was not yet His time. He knew that doing this would reveal Him as the Messiah.  But this wasn't the place for or time yet for Him to be known.  He needed to preach and teach the gospel before doing wonders so that people would hear the word of God first.  The wonders and miracles would show proof of who he is so that they would believe the word of him when he told them.  That is how God wanted to introduce His son to the world.  The world needed to hear the word of God and they needed to hear it through Jesus for that was the promise God gave to Israel, His chosen people.  Now at this wedding , he is being revealed before completing the assignment he was sent to do!  Now, why does Jesus perform the miracle??  It is the will of God that He is obedient to his parents and honors them, just a God expects obedience from us.  Mary knew this and perhaps in her eagerness to let people know who her son was, she over stepped and did not realize that God had his own time for his son to be known.  But God allowed it .!!!  I am not sure as to why Jesus addressed Mary in that way.  Perhaps He wanted her to know that it was more important for Him to do God's will, His heavenly Father's will, and that her role as his mother did not override that.  She was not as important. What she wanted him to do was not to be before what God wanted him to do.  He was not here to do her will. At any rate, He performed the miracle. The wine was beyond anything that was produced on earth!!  And it could not be explained nor denied that it happened! The glory of God revealed at a wedding!!.  

Paula, I hope you don't mind, but I copied your quote and pasted it into my Word document, because it is so very insightful.

I've always been so eager to 'finish' the assignment instead of enjoying the 'ride', and taking time to contemplate the lesson and it's much deeper, spiritual meaning!  Thank you for your very insightful comment, I will remember it always for pointing out to me that it's not the destination, but the journey that is most important.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:51 AM, Rosesam said:

Mary would have been a close relative to the groom’s family for she shows awareness that wine is over. To run out of wine was a social embarrassment and she cared the family enough that they do not go through such a social disgrace. All through her lifetime there would have been gossips and people talking behind her back that she had become pregnant before Joseph and Mary had come together in marriage. Her moral standards would have been questioned and she lived through all that in spite of knowing that she had been divinely impregnated and that Jesus is the Son of God. Probably she thought this is the time for her vindication. If Jesus does a miracle then the people would acknowledge that He is divine and all her past griefs would be erased by that single event.

Her words to Jesus may not have been appropriate considering the response given by Jesus to her. His reply may not have been a rebuke because Jesus lived in obedience and submission to His authority, for He did obey and fulfill her request, but did it in such a way that this miracle was not for public spectacle but a low profile one and only the servants knew about it. The servants filled the water pots with water, the water looked at their Master and blushed and voila there was wine. This was then served to the Master of Ceremonies. But no investigation was made as to how such abundance of wine appeared where there was a lack of it earlier. The servants knew but their words would not be given weightage by others who heard it. Mary’s desire for vindication was also ultimately fulfilled. Even if it did not happen at the wedding of Cana, every believer believes that she was indeed a virgin when she conceived Jesus. She was the chosen vessel to bear His Son. Moreover, John’s gospel says that Law came through Moses whereas grace and truth came through Jesus. If the first miracle (plague) of Moses was to turn water into blood whereby none could drink of it, the first miracle done by Jesus was to turn water into wine which looks like blood, but it was the best wine worthy of consumption. So to provide a picture to us as well as to show that Jesus indeed lived a submissive, loving and obedient life He goes ahead with the miracle.

Rose, It NEVER occurred to me about the embarrassment and scorn that Mary had endured for over thirty years, could be the incentive for her to want to help out her friends by having her Divine son perform a miracle.  It shows that you have spent a good amount of time on this subject.  thank you for sharing it.

On 1/29/2018 at 2:42 AM, Paul Hodge said:

I never thought of the fact that Jesus was asking his mother to look to her motive for the request, instead of a rebuke, He was asking her to pause and reflect.

On 12/17/2015 at 9:35 AM, pickledilly said:

Mary had full confidence that Jesus could provide a miraculous solution to the embarrassing problem that would dishonor the wedding's host (likely her own relative).  But I take her “push” in a different way.  She didn't tell Jesus what to do, she just told Him of the problem and then told the servants to obey whatever Jesus might tell them to do.  She was certainly insinuating that Jesus should take action, but she didn't “order” Him to do something.  She made her request clear, but then respected His word of caution and left the decision to Jesus.

I think this may have been the first time her son had ever openly challenged her directives.  But I also think, as He addressed her as “woman” rather than “mother”, she recognized it was that first moment of practical distinction between Jesus, her precious son, and Jesus, the Son of God.  All His life, she had probably dreaded the heartbreaking moment ahead when she must let go of her son and fully release Him to the will and plan of Yahweh, but that time had finally come.  I don't think Jesus' words were a rebuke that insulted or dishonored His mother.  I am certain He would have spoken with complete tenderness, understanding, and respect for His mother with full awareness of that difficult point they had reached. It was the time when He must separate his family relationships from His Father's will.  She was no longer in authority over Him as He now became her Lord.

Evidently, Jesus was given inner assurance by the Father to go ahead and perform this first sign that publicly manifest His glory (John 2:11).  He had made it clear to Mary that He wouldn't do it because of her desire or position as His mother, but only according to the Father's will and timing.  I think that may have been the whole purpose for this exchange – to make that distinction clear to Mary and all of us.  Jesus never did/does anything just because of our needs or desires.  Ultimately, He acted because of what the Father directed Him to do.

Very good point , Pickle!  HE ACTED BECAUSE OF WHAT THE FATHER DIRECTED!  And I liked your point for her motive, because of the gnawing dread of her Son's leaving her to go serve His master.  VERY PROFOUND AND INSIGHTFUL!

On 9/13/2014 at 11:58 PM, Gerbrand van Schalkwyk said:

Q2. (John 2:3-5) Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host's problem?

She cared. Whether the people were friends or family , she didn't want them to be embarrassed.

Are her words to Jesus appropriate?

Yes.

Would you categorize Jesus' reply as a rebuke?

No. In our times if you say woman in that way it is usually as a rebuke or harsh. In their culture it was a gentle term, bordering on a loving term. He talked to her with respect.

If so, why does he go ahead with the miracle?

When Jesus said "My time has not yet come" many people think He is referring to time to do miracles. He was already baptized. He already received the Holy Spirit. His mentioning of time had nothing to do with time for doing miracles.

For the Jews position and being an important person was part of their focus. At weddings each guest got a slot to help with a gift to make the wedding a success, feeding so many people for a week is very expensive, so many family members and friends helped. When Jesus said "My time has not yet come" He said that it was not yet His turn to help at the wedding's provisions. He was one of the lesser important guests, yet He was the most important guest.

He helped because He also came to serve. He helped because this was a Pharisee house (stone jars for ritual was in the house)

He helped because He used the wine to say "I brought a better way"

The stone jars were used to make ritual cleaning or holy water. Jesus later on rebuked the Pharisee because of one of this ritual cleaning- Mark 7.

Jesus. sends the servants who knew how to prepare this water to fill the jars. They assumed He wanted ritual cleaning water, thus they filled the jars to the brim, as described in the method. (Part of the method was to add a bit of wine to the water remaining in the jars to make sure it was unclean, than you went through steps to purify the water - Jesus used this to make pure wine) Jesus used this wedding to tell all. Follow Me, I will teach you how to be really faithful to God. The Pharisee have their ways but it is a hindrance. I will teach you the truth and the way to life

On 9/13/2014 at 11:58 PM, Gerbrand van Schalkwyk said:

Q2. (John 2:3-5) Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host's problem?

She cared. Whether the people were friends or family , she didn't want them to be embarrassed.

Yes.

Would you categorize Jesus' reply as a rebuke?

No. In our times if you say woman in that way it is usually as a rebuke or harsh. In their culture it was a gentle term, bordering on a loving term. He talked to her with respect.

When Jesus said "My time has not yet come" many people think He is referring to time to do miracles. He was already baptized. He already received the Holy Spirit. His mentioning of time had nothing to do with time for doing miracles.

For the Jews position and being an important person was part of their focus. At weddings each guest got a slot to help with a gift to make the wedding a success, feeding so many people for a week is very expensive, so many family members and friends helped. When Jesus said "My time has not yet come" He said that it was not yet His turn to help at the wedding's provisions. He was one of the lesser important guests, yet He was the most important guest.

He helped because He also came to serve. He helped because this was a Pharisee house (stone jars for ritual was in the house)

He helped because He used the wine to say "I brought a better way"

The stone jars were used to make ritual cleaning or holy water. Jesus later on rebuked the Pharisee because of one of this ritual cleaning- Mark 7.

Jesus. sends the servants who knew how to prepare this water to fill the jars. They assumed He wanted ritual cleaning water, thus they filled the jars to the brim, as described in the method. (Part of the method was to add a bit of wine to the water remaining in the jars to make sure it was unclean, than you went through steps to purify the water - Jesus used this to make pure wine) Jesus used this wedding to tell all. Follow Me, I will teach you how to be really faithful to God. The Pharisee have their ways but it is a hindrance. I will teach you the truth and the way to life

WOW!  You just allowed a much deeper understanding to what the study, so skillfully taught. , especially like the last paragraph, and your summation!

• 6 months later...
  1. Q2. (John 2:3-5) Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host's problem?  In Genesis 25, God shares a prophecy with Rebekah: “22 And the children struggled together within her; and she said, If it be so, why am I thus? And she went to enquire of the Lord.23 And the Lord said unto her, Two nations are in thy womb, and two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger”. We see God sharing a prophecy with Rebekah, whilst Isaac was left in the dark. Maybe this is the beginning of women’s intuition, and so perhaps Mary as the mother knew something that we are not told in the Bible, but she was just a channel for fulfilling God’s purpose which Jesus could have known beforehand.
  2. Are her words to Jesus appropriate? Her words to Jesus are appropriate because she wants to rescue the wedding feast from disaster.
  3. Would you categorize Jesus' reply as a rebuke? No, I do not characterize it as a rebuke but as a statement of fact from Jesus who was always conscious not to manipulate publicity.
  4. If so, why does he go ahead with the miracle? He goes ahead with the miracle from sensing that the Father has a purpose with it.

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2014 at 11:37 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (John 2:3-5)

Why do you think Mary pushes Jesus to solve the wedding host’s problem?

• In the context of the culture, great embarrassment would have happened if the host ran out of wine, and Mary wanted to prevent that if she could
  • Mary understood something of Christ's divinity, and had strong faith that he could do something about it

• Yes. I don't think she would have done anything harmful or disrespectful

Would you categorize Jesus’ reply as a rebuke?

• Don't know, because we don't understand the cultural context

• We don't know if the Father had willed this to be so
  • God still works in ways that we don't and can't understand

• 1 year later...

Mary could have been a good friend of the family at Cana and was perhaps involved in managing the servants.   Mary represents Israel who 'bore' Christ according to the flesh.  She is a model of the disciple; Mary goes to Christ.

In Rabbinic Judaism,  wine is a symbol of the Torah.  We have a veiled allusion to the superiority of the Gospel over the Torah.  Mary represents the yearnings of those past generations of Israelites that were yearning for the new wine.  Mary was deeply aware of the mission of her Son; no wonder she nudged Christ the Lord.

Her words were appropriate.   Isaiah 65:8-9 speaks of a seed promised, "an inheritor of the the mountains" whose kingdom will be eternal.  Mary was very well educated in the messianic hopes of her people

It was no rebuke.  By using the word "woman" Jesus could have been identifying her with the new Eve who will be the mother of the new Israel as the old Eve was the mother of the living.  Genesis 3:20

Christ did this miracle in order to point to the messianic nature of His mission.  Prophecies of past centuries from the Hebrew prophets would be brought to minds.  An abundance of wine would be present in the messianic era.  Proverbs 9: 4-5 speak of wine representing  the wisdom and teaching of the Prophets.  Mary's nudging urged on due to the fact that there was a barreness in Judaism at this time.   Even the Essenes stayed separate from mainline Judaism.  They were very much messianic.