JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1:1) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one? Have you ever caught yourself doing this? What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight

I interpret this as being a Carnal Christian. A man or woman of God who has accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior, but have not submitted to Jesus being Lord of their life. Its so easy to slide into this state, when not growing in the Word of God and submitting ourselves to Him on a daily basis. The cares of the world. The sins that so easily beset us. How the little things can take our focus off of our heavenly homeland when we take our eyes off of Christ.

I think, and this is just my opinion, that we are all guilty of going off track here and there. Its part of our human nature to want to fix our own problems. I can certainly attest to that when I reflect on my life over the past few years. And how painful life becomes.We already, as Christians are subject to persecution simply for the confession of our faith in some circles. In today's world, to profess a faith that is not inclusive of other faiths (universal religion) targets us as intolerant. To adhere to the truth of the Word and to renounce the social norms that are attempting to expand the definition of marriage, family structure, modify our Christian walk with more lukewarm beliefs, apostacy, and the list goes on, is a no-no in the 21st century. Anyone who openly opposes what the world deems as correct is subject to public scrutiny and persecution from friends, family, associates and those who despise God, His Word and the absolutes that are embedded in the essence of Him. But stand we must, and to get our priorities right and keep them right we must submit our lives to the Lordship of Jesus Christ, study the Word of god to show ourselves approved so we may grow in faith and hope in our earthly existance and be obedient to the Holy Spirit as He leads and guide us throughout the day. Heaven bound.May the God of creation keep us in these last days.

• 1 month later...

I would think that a person would be more involved in activities which focus more on that person receiving his own satisfaction rather than putting time and effort into ministry activities that help out others.

Yeah at various times in my life I really didn't value nor care about what is really my focus on living for the Kingdom of God.

I have found that if I start my day in conversation with the Lord and gear my mind towards what I can do as a servant for that day. It really helps me to put in perspective that I am just here for a short time and during that time I can be who God wants me to be and to do his will.

• 1 month later...

A Christian that can identify with world instead of heaven is a world person and I don't consider that person a true Christian. So far thank Jesus Christ I have kept my mind on my maker because I live here but not of this world.

• 1 month later...

That Christian needs to take his or her eyes of off the world, and focus more on spiritual things. Knowing that one day all these earthly possessions will decay. But our heavenly home will last forever.

Yes, there was I thought it was alright to love the world and Jesus. Later I learned that did would love one and hate the other. So I chose Jesus.

I had to repent to God and learned how to love Jesus and hate the world.

• 4 months later...

Q1. (1:1) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one? Have you ever caught yourself doing this? What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

A Christian who identifies more with his present homeland instead of his heavenly one is perhaps a Christian who has not, as of yet, began to trust the Lord for his being and sustenance. Also, it could mean that this person does not have a faith grounded in the Lord Jesus Christ.

I have caught myself often doing the same thing as relating to present earth as my homeland. The Lord has quite often reminded me that my faith is weak and he will take care of me. This especially true in the finance department, keeping the tithes going and depending on God for help.

Most of the time the Lord must take us through trails to get our attention and priorities straight. Through these trails we learn to depend on the lord instead of our own wisdom and effort.           

• 1 month later...

As these people were departed from where they  were raised and settle in another part of the world could have been stressful and when they look at that instead of looking at what GOD had in store for them. We know if we are born again that  we all are sojourn in this world and we all are strangers  looking for the day that we will  take our place in our heavenly home, we are in this world but not a part of the worldly thing that this world offers. to mush self and not enough time on what GOD want us to be focus on. Our LORD JESUS CHRIST should and must take first priority

• 1 month later...

Q1. (1:1) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one?

Being in the Christmas season often creates the perfect storm for a believer to identify more with their present homeland than their heavenly one. Getting overly caught up in the giving and receiving of gifts; over spending to keep up with the latest "must have" gadgets and gifts, to the point of going into debt and financial insecurity. Just plain forgetting the reason we celebrate Christmas. All this creates stress and regret. 

Have you ever caught yourself doing this?

Absolutely; the desires of our heart and the world, are always pulling us in this direction.

What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

Getting into God's word and having an active prayer life; reading the story of the birth of Jesus. To focus on Christ first and foremost and allow Him to set your priorities for this season an every season.

Colossians 2:20 reads: See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.

• 4 months later...

Q1. (1:1) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one?  Have you ever caught yourself doing this?  What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one?   I would describe them as being extremely misguided, Jesus said, “I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one (John 17:14-15).  Jesus doesn’t expect us to not be a (productive) part of the world into which we were born but He doesn’t want us taking on the evil “ways of that world.”  Like it or not, we are a part of the communities into which we were born and being a Christian doesn't mean that we should totally deny a love or appreciation for our homeland.  After all, didn’t Jesus himself weep over Jerusalem?  We should all have a healthy respect and love for our country but our patriotism and love of country should never oppose or be placed ahead of the love that we have for our heavenly home. 

Have you ever caught yourself doing this?   Yes, to some degree I suppose you could say that.  I’m a Vietnam veteran; I was (and still am to this day) extremely proud of my service but when I came home to civil and political turmoil my sense of patriotism consumed me for quite a while.  I still consider myself a patriot and would certainly like to say that I identified myself more as a Christian than a patriot back then but, unfortunately at this point in my life I’m not really certain.

What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?  Our first priority should always be to put God and His heavenly kingdom above anything and everything that this world has to offer.  That’s inherently what sets us (Christians) apart from the world into which we were born.

• 5 months later...

Araham was looking for a city whose maker was God. This world was only his temporary dwelling place  (Heb 11:10) (Heb 13:14)

We are (and must strive to live as) strangers in a foreign place, sojourning, residing temporarily. We rent our tents and have no permanent dwelling place here!  I like the following statement by Dr. Ralph. “We are to be engaged in this world – Jesus certainly was – but we must remember that our allegiance is elsewhere. We’re resident aliens for now.”

There is a continual pressure (a vortex) dragging us towards becoming absorbed by this world with all of its beguiling attractions. We are tempted to make the world our centre of interest.  In reality we are ambassadors who represent our king, and our home country, i.e. the place where we came from, and where we are going to, and where our King lives.

Eph_6:20  for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak. 2Co 5:20  Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.

1Jn 2:15  Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

This creates a potential and persistent conflict.  Providing for self, family, children, saving for retirement etc., are things that occupy our thoughts and actions. They can compete with our desire for an all-out dedication to our true calling.   (Solution? Live for God and develop a daily walk with Him.  Making use of our “diplomatic channels in order to keep in communication with our homeland.”)

I used to identify completely with this world but since I found God and retired, I can focus on what is really important, not doing a pointless job etc. I do think that its important not to regard this world as a sort of waiting room to get into heaven though. God put us here for a good reason, so we must make the most of the opportunities for spiritual development and helping other people, so we develop into the sort of people God intended us to be.

• 6 months later...
On 1/22/2004 at 11:45 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (1:1) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one? Have you ever caught yourself doing this? What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

The behaviour of a Christian who identifies himself /herself more with the present homeland than his/her heavenly one is a carnal Christian according to Romans 8:5-8. They are walking in the flesh pursuing the worldly things. To get our spiritual priorities straight we most be born again the change of mind set (repentance) choose the Bible as our best friend by reading, study, meditate and practice what the Lord says through His words. 

The behaviour of a Christian who identifies himself /herself more with the present homeland than his/her heavenly one is carnal and worldly according to (Romans 8:5-8) because they are walking in the flesh and set their mind on the things on this homeland not on the heavenly things. To get our spiritual priorities straight, we most be genuinely born again as our Lord Jesus Christ says to Nicodemus in (John 3:3-6). We most chosen the Bible as our first and best friend, reading it, study it, meditating on it daily and practice the words (2Timothy 2:15).

Good morning! This is my first time on this forum and doing this Bible Study. I have read many of the comments and notice they date back to 2004. Is anyone doing this study nowadays? In either respect, I have found their comments very enlightening and as for the year 2004, I have been taken aback by how far I have drifted away from Jesus since then! I am excited to get back on track!! Thank you for having this Bible Study Program, I look forward to learning and living as Jesus portrayed to us during his short time here on this earth!

God bless all of you!

The Bible says in 1 John 2:15-16 (NKJV)  Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world--the **** of the flesh, the **** of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world.

That about sums up the behaviour of a believer whose heart is focused on the world rather than eternity.

Many times as Christians we forget that we are on a journey and that this place is temporal. Its not our destiny. We get caught up in the moment and put a lot of emphases on things surrounding our earthy "home" or at least I do. Its not that this place has any preference.  But Glory Be God for The Holy Spirit that reveals to me often that I am passing  through on this journey and my destiny, goal is heaven, to be with Christ in heaven. The Holy Spirit reminds me about complete submission, acknowledging God and surrendering all to Him.  That is why praying is so important because it keeps you focus.

(1:1) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one? Have you ever caught yourself doing this? What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

A Christian who identifies more with his present homeland is one that has given up on reaching for the heavenly homeland and settled for the things of this world.  We forgot that this is our home temporarily and we should be working and doing what God's word say's to assure a spot in his heavenly home.  I have been caught up in living a busy life where everything else comes first before God.  There's nothing like trials and tribulations that reminds you that you are a Christian and living in this world but you are not of the world.  I praise God that I have reached the maturity level to live my life for Christ. 

Conforming to the world is being carnal or worldly. Pilgrims progress featured Worldly Wiseman as an example of this. Many things can get you off track. Money, tv, and sports are three example of the things that can occupy your time and move your focus away from God and onto things of the world. It's so easy to become distracted by things such as this and to lose your way

Q1. (1:1) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one?

I would describe the behavior of a Christian who defines with this present world as being carnal.

Have you ever caught yourself doing this?

Yes, I have caught myself doing this and pray for myself and/or go for prayer about certain areas where I am weak or find myself looking after other things.

What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight

We must redirect our focus on God and turn from worldly things in order to get our spiritual priorities straight. Reading (feeding) on the Word of God more and developing a deeper relationship with Christ is a great place to start. 

To me a person who regards this present homeland more than the kingdom of God is one who does not understand truth. Yes, I have been in that position before. Now, this does not give me priveledge to judge. For my level of truth to one who has a better understanding of truth might look to them as one who values the present more than the future homeland. However, the kingdom of God is at hand and one should expediently get to that understanding quickly. 

I believe we are all guilty of having earthly desires. It's our sinful flesh which takes control if we let it.  The one and only way to combat this is to be in the Word and prayer, followed by surrounding ourselves with believers that will encourgae us and hold us accountable. I find that at times I have to stop and think about how this is all temporary here on earth. I have to ask the Lord to help me see my life in the light of eternity.

I would describe a person as not having a strong rooted foundation. Im sure we have all been their before; we find it easier or some my say funnier to identify with the world. People identify closely with what their familiar with. As a child you might not have grown up in a Christian home or it wasn't strongly rooted in Christ. Their are a lot of uncertainties for people that aren't doug deep in the faith. We can find ourselves going back to what is most convenient when times get hard; that is because we our letting the unknown dictate our actions. 

I will describe the behaviour of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one as carnal Christian who accepted the forgiveness without obedience. Paul described them as carnal Christian according to the in Romans 8:5-8, they set their mind on the worldly things instead od heavenly things. 

To get our spiritual priorities straight, we must choose Bible as our best friend reading it, study it, meditating on the and obey every words in the Bible. God told Joshua to dwell in words day and night  (Joshua 1:8 and Psalms 1:1-3). Bible is Christian manual to operate successful and fulfilled in this world full of sinful life.