JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

I would say that someone who says he is a Christian but identifies more with the world has never really met Jesus.  Or if he/she had really met Jesus, the world offered something he/she really valued and the person lost sight of Jesus.  A real ploy of Satan.  His desire is to keep us from following Jesus.  The only way to keep close to Jesus is to spend time in the Word.  Since I have been so sick, I have had a lot of time to read.  I am struck with how often God tells us to obey Him.  If our eyes are on the world, we cannot see what God wants us to do.  He wants us to love, give, serve, as God tells us because we love Him not because we have to.  When Jesus is the most important, it is easy to follow Him.  When the world or something in the world becomes most important Jesus cannot be.  I pray that I will always be on guard not to let the world in.  I'm not perfect, but I do love Jesus.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/22/2004 at 6:45 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (1:1) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one? Have you ever caught yourself doing this? What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

Worldly/nominal. More concerned with the things of this world and striving to meet these. Often accepts values/information that is contrary to Scripture (i.e.gevolution). Focus is on this world.

It is often a case of having to assess whether our actions are to satisfy the world/the flesh or to honour God.

Focus on God alone and his "lamp unto our feet"

While we traditionally think of a Christian as people in these locations, for example, church, revivals, baptisms, and so on; the word Christian can really refer to any group or person sharing something in common, God. Their self-image, attitudes, and their aspirations are often reflected in the places where they choose to live, work, gather, and play.  Thus, Peter warns us not to adapt to this world and for that we must keep our thoughts on heavenly things. “Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, ****, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.  You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.” – Col. 3:5-11(NIV) Yes, many times my anger and then my language becomes a part of my new self, from the old self that is very hard to let go. We must seek to limit earthly activities and live in the light of eternity.  We should put Christ first, exalt God above all others, seek first the kingdom of God, and strive for love and all other spiritual fruit then our lives will give straightforward evidence that our perspective on life is radically different from those around us.  By doing such we will walk in Christ-likeness and order our life according to God’s Word.  

a Christian who considers this world more their home than heaven with Jesus Christ is a carnal christian or a baby christian or maybe a false convert?

Yes i have caught myself doing this ..actually quite a lot lately after a series of very difficult circumstances...it showed me my heart of pride and unbelief...we must repent of all worldliness and cast ourselves on the mercy of Jesus Christ our Lord

On 5/14/2017 at 9:48 AM, Tyreek said:

Q1. (1:1) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one? Have you ever caught yourself doing this? What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

1. I would say that he/she is more on the immature side of things, with heavy investment in the things of the world and little invested in the kingdom of Heaven. It takes time and growth to understand and believe that we are just passing through this life as pilgrims and that our real home is in Heaven. Until this transition takes place in our thinking and in our spirit we focus on "what we see" rather than on our real home and purpose for living.

2. As a new believer I tried to understand that concept but my children were small and so much of life was about NOW and adjusting to marriage, living in a new part of the country, etc. As I've grown in grace and faith I've come to understood that "Heaven" is about HOW I live in the now, and that my investment in Heaven begins on earth. I began to teach our children the same principles as they grew.

3. Until Jesus has more than a "foothold" in our lives, like the analogy of the Marines landing on a beach who radio back to the ship that the island is secure...when in fact they have only a toe hold or a beachhead on the island at that time.....then the battle begins to overcome the enemy, until more of the island belongs to the marines than to the opposition.)

Renewing our minds takes time and growth and testing, reading and studying and applying the truth in the Bible, in order to see that the unseen world is more real than what we're experiencing on earth. When we see Heaven as our true home we will make decisions which reflect the importance of our daily priorities and how they relate to our eternal lives.

I'm 74 and most of my earthly life has been lived....my priorities changed years ago toward my future home....I'm homesick for Heaven. I long to see my Lord face to face, to live in His Presence,  and to finally have the "vail" of flesh removed which separates us now.

Death has served to remind me that this is not my home. Losing my husband in his 40's and having our three children look to me for hope has certainly helped me be more heavenly minded. To see my husband be brave and courageous to "Go Home" blazed the trail and inspired many to look forward to that day. However, I am also mindful to be not "so heavenly minded that I am no earthly good."

Q1. (1:1) 
How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one? 
Have you ever caught yourself doing this? 
What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

Unfortunately, many so called Christians are preoccupied with gratifying their physical desires, seeking to accumulate as many possessions as possible, and even having an obsession with their own importance. Having fallen into a self-centred lifestyle, they prefer that the Lord conforms to their way of living and that He grants them their desires. Their focus is more on worldly goods and thoughts, to the detriment of their relationship with the Lord.

Yes, in the past, I often found myself doing this. But then I was not fully committed to serve the Lord and could not have called myself a true Christian. It was only when I heard the Gospel Call that I started to put all my trust in the Lord Jesus and things changed. The Holy Spirit has made me realize that my citizenship is in Heaven, and that this world is not my home and that I’m merely a pilgrim passing through, and eventually I will have a new home, a home of righteousness (2 Pet 3:13). As Jesus Himself indicated (John 15:19) we are in the world but not of the world. 

To get our spiritual priorities straight, the first thing that has to happen is our realization that we must follow our Lord Jesus Christ in obedience and that we are here to serve Him. This is the only option for authentic Christian living. Central to the Christian way of life, should be servanthood, since we are called to be obedient servants. However, we cannot do this by our own strength, we need the help of the Holy Spirit. When we begin to live by the Spirit we will develop the attitudes that make up the Christian personality - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). In the beatitudes (Matt 5:3-12) Jesus mentions eight principal marks of Christian character and conduct. We are to be meek and merciful, poor in spirit and pure in heart, mourning and hungry, peacemakers and persecuted. These are Christ’s own specifications of what every Christian ought to be. Christian behaviour should be for the glory of our Heavenly Father. If we remember what Jesus said: “If you love me, keep my commands” (John 14:15). So obedience is not difficult, it is not a law, it is not a demand - it is love. 

I would describe this Christian as one committed to the world and not as one invested heavily in things of God. Perhaps they spend too much time focused on worldly living, keeping up with the Joneses and ensuring they have everything their heart desires. Perhaps they focus too much on things that don't matter when God is looking for them to lean all the way in. I do catch myself living like this and it is indeed humbling to refocus and get back on track.

Hi. I am from Paterson NJ. 

A Christian that focus more on their earthly home than their heavenly home often get caught up in the busyness of this world. We work long hours to keep up a certain lifestyle. We indulge in our social circles and forget to spend time with our Heavenly Father. We focus on our earth problems more than our Heavenly problem solver. We have to get back to spending more time in prayer reading and studying God's word. Daily building a relationship with him

Our home on earth is just temporary and it is definitely not perfect.  A Christian identifying with His homeland, is identifying with a world that is full of evil and daily temptations, sin.  He is identifying with a world that will no longer exist at Jesus’ second coming.   Christians must thus strive to move into their permanent, heavenly home with the Father where they can enjoy everlasting life.. 

Yes, I think that many Christians have found themselves in this situation.  I tend to be distracted by the distractions around me. 

We have to live by God’s words, we have to open our hearts to His voice and proclaim His teachings to all.  We have to live by Him and allow Him to live in our hearts..

Personal experience of being a Christian for an hour or so on Sunday and being "worldly" the rest of the week made me a Christian in name only. Thought I was saved but was only concerned with my present homeland. Not sure about others but as for me a desire to know more about Christ created an insatiable appetite for knowledge. Picking up my Bible and reading opened my eyes to the wonder and love of God. This has opened my heart to Jesus and how the gift of grace is a free gift for all. I can now understand how to stay grounded in my faith and not let the world get the best of me. 

A Christian who is in a continual struggle to not lose him/herself in this world, one that I fail at more times than I like to admit. I must pray, stay in the Word & contemplate on the many blessings and opportunities I have been given, both here & in the world to come.

Q1.

a) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one?

Un-Godly! this type of Christian life is basically in ruins – he/she will not be able to give God the supreme place in his/her life – conforming to the patterns of the world thereby being unable to transform one’s mind to test and  approve what God’s will is - in contrast to Romans 12:2.

B) Have you ever caught yourself doing this?

That’s a definite ‘YES’ – I’d be lying if I said otherwise – today we all live in a multi-tasking world – I have fallen many times but Jesus has shown by His falls during the way up to Golgotha that I too can get up ask for God’s forgiveness and walk the walk again trying hard not to fall back into the materialistic world.

c) What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

“……….though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials.” (1Pet 1:6b) I believe I need to reset my spiritual priorities. I cannot point a finger at someone else and say that he/she is not doing it right – if I walk with Jesus asking for His grace and strength thru prayer He’d surely remind me where my priorities should be –  though this is easier said than done, I’m thankful that I have a great God who never gives up on me.

Until we know who we are in Christ, until we understand that we are only Ambassadors here, our focus is still on carnal things. Those who don't understand that we are only sojourners here will never know the freedom of having been moved into His marvelous light. Those who have their eyes on this world and its circumstances still live in darkness.  The Word shines the light, through the Holy Spirit, once we have received Christ leading us to that rest and freedom. If we seek Him, we find Him. Only the grace of God can open that window, but once open, it cannot be shut. Praise the Lord!

Jer 29:7 says to seek the peace wherein Ihave sent you captive and pray to the Lord for it; for in its peace you would have peace. Apart from the confusion of being called captive, A Christian should be guided by the fact that it is not what the city can do for you, but what you can do for it. Some tend to get caught up with the culture but really what we should pay attention to is what is lawful and thus what is expedient (1 Cor 10:23); at the same time we must not mistake trends for custom. You can never know if a trend or custom is related to idolatry and thus you must be Christian first or rather walking the Christian way seemingly so that God can call those who wish to respond to the gospel which you will expose them too.  Thus knowing the scriptures is the answer to any challenge of location change' in this case I remembered this scripture from Jeremiah to deal with such things for somebody it might be something else.

Christians who do not identify with heaven but instead identify with our Earthly Homeland are not putting proper emphasis upon their Heavenly Future.

Yes.

In order to get our priorities straight we must Trust in God the Father, believe in the Son and fully accept the Holy Spirit into our lives.

How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one?

A Christian who identifies more with this present homeland would be one who is hypocritical, who seeks all worldly pleasures to satisfy his needs and longings. Such a person  may seek to please others more than God, may be full of pride on account of his/her accomplishments, can be arrogant, resentful, haughty, willing to lie and call it alternative truth.

Have you ever caught yourself doing this?

Yes, before I came to truly know God I indulged in many of the above behaviors. Although I went to church every Sunday, I wasn't studying God's word for myself to get to know him better. I was not feeding on the word, so most of my actions were dictated by worldly standards.

What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities right?

We have to spend quality time with God's word so that we can form a relationship with him and draw strength through his Holy Spirit. We also have to submit to His will and be obedient to Him rather than seek our own way.

Q1. (1:1) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one?

Sometimes putting the will of God away and doing their own thing. Speaking out of self and not controlling or humbling oneself. Forgetting that unconditional love should be shown to others even when they do you wrong. Not willing to share with others or denying self.

Q 2. Have you ever caught yourself doing this?

Yes, I must remember to show others unconditional love even when they mistreat me. 

Q3. What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight? 

We must constantly read God’s word, pray, and obey him in everything we do. We must seek God consistently. We must remember: "This world is not our home,
We’re just a-passing through and are to do the things that will help us get to our heavenly home.

Q1. (1:1) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one?  I would describe the behavior as worldly. This person has put their faith and trust in Jesus Christ, but still cling to his or her old ways of living. Their attitudes and actions are much like those of there unbelieving neighbors. Their decisions seldom take God in consideration. They have built their houses upon the sand. (Matthew 7: 24 -27)

Q2.  Have you ever caught yourself doing this? Yes. However, not as often as I used to. When I find myself leaning on my own understanding, I humble myself and acknowledge my ways.

Q3. What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

If we pray and turn away from that behavior. The Bible says,  we will hear from heaven and God will forgive us and restore us (2 Chron 7:14 b). We must eat of the word of God daily. It is a well balanced meal. We must also seek God in prayer daily and attend a bible teaching church regularly. It is medicine for our souls which will keep us healthy until we arrive at our heavenly destination.

God's word describes the behavior of such a Christian admirably:

1 Corinthians 15 : 19
19 If in this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
And this is what I believe but needless to say my soul is often tugged at by the strings of this world. Nevertheless I muster strength from Christ's sacrifice for me and try to live my life as best I can befitting his glorious promise for us.

To turn our lives to one that is centered around Christ's promise for us needs just some philosophical thinking as to what we gain from the treasures of this world and how all such treasures will be forfeited one day regardless of who or how the treasure was accumulated. But to take this thought to the next level ultimately requires divine intervention and counselling through the holy spirit.

As Christian we must understand why I am a stranger in present homeland and need a rule to come to kingdom of God.

Yes I have many time but  I believe God chooses me and call me, just  the only one God understand my language and forgive me.

Because of that He is my salvation, I follow Him. Amin!