JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2004 at 6:45 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (1:1) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one? Have you ever caught yourself doing this? What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

A Christian who identifies more with world than with his heavenly home is one who is not in the Word and not trusting in Jesus who lives inside them and will direct and guide them by His Holy Spirit.  I have been there, we get lax and lazy and spend more time with unbelievers (people in our own family)  than believers. Whoever you spend time with is who we become like. We need to spend more time with Jesus and learn of Him. Matthew 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1:1) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one? Have you ever caught yourself doing this? What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

A Christian who identifies with his present homeland is at best a nominal Christian.  That said, I am pre-occupied with the world but not identified.   One needs constantly to come back to the guidance of the holy spirit which lifts us out of this world though physically in it.

How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one?

Behavior like this is more like someone who really needs to get their priorities in order. This type of behavior is extremely dangerous! It is one that can get worse…like a cancer.

Have you ever caught yourself doing this?

Yes, this has happened to me many times, in fact, I catch myself in that state often times now.

What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

Find out what is drawing oneself to the world and put it into the past, or behind. It could be something as common as watching the news on tv, or even seeing an ad while on the internet which while not ****, could be considered exotic, or likewise. Once these things are identified, action needs to be taken and that means now, and not “the sooner the better”.

On 1/22/2004 at 6:45 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I often hear the term"backslider"to describe a professed christian who is living more in the world than in Christ. Paul used the term"to run the race" to describe our life with Christ. To run a race you must be in top condition and willingly exert effort. When you don't your human nature takes over and you fall back into the ways of the world. We have all been there. So the question is how do you stay in top spiritual condition? To me it comes from staying in God's word and praying unceasingly. 

I think they don't realize there is a heavenly homeland. That when they die they will go to that home in heaven. They have definitely forgotten who they are and whose they are. Not relying on God is not good. Yes I did do this and sometimes I catch myself doing it, and have to remind myself that I need to rely on God more.

They are more concerned with the worldly affairs than in serving God. Their time is consumed in work, accumulating riches, making a name for oneself, etc. There's no time for God. No time for prayer. No time to build a relationship with our Creator. God has been placed in the back burner.  

Well let me start by stating I am a BAB.I was saved 9 months ago and have been like a sponge ever since.God is leading and teaching me.I am becoming aware of so many things.I take no credit for any of it.Its all coming from God.My life before Jesus rescued me was based on this world but my eyes have been opened and I now realize this is not our home.We are here for a short time.Basic instruction before leaving earth.As I grow in the faith and the word of God my spirit is growing stronger.The enemy enjoys it when we try to live our lives without God.He can take advantage of our weaknesses and exploit them.We must stay strong in the lord and the power of his might. I am still a victim of worldly living but as I grow stronger in the faith and word of God I find myself slowly breaking away from this worlds devices and material possessions.After all we cannot take any of it with us.We must live our lives based on the word of God.All experienced Christians who know Gods word and how to apply it to everyday living in this world.If they are not than they need to reprioritize quickly.I have learned that we can do all things in Christ who strengthens us.

I can describe such a christian as one who has doubts about the existence of heaven and see those things as abstract so they resort to live in the present life that they see and become Luke worm Christians who have not died to self and they are not looking at things above but below for example they have great desire for material things like money and fashion. I have found myself in such situations but each time i realize it, i sit down, ask myself questions and talk to God to get answers and then i repent and get back on track and begin to seek the face of God continuously by reading his word and having fellowships with fellow believers

Carnal  Christian , who  the cares  and  issues  of this  world   are  more  important   than  the   heavenly  home .The   key  here  is   their   priorities   are  misguided.

Repentance ,Prayer  ,reading   and   meditating   the  Word  ,quiet  times with  God and  obedience  to  the  Holy  Spirit would  lead  to  coming   back  focus   .      

Q1. (1:1)

Q. How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one?

A. He would be preoccupied with the things of this world with little or no time for God and the things of God

Q. Have you ever caught yourself doing this?

A. Several times or even very often. The Lord helps and delivers me me, amen.

Q. What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight

A. We have to ensure we have received the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour and be surrendered and committed to Him to transform us and our minds so that we will be heavenly minded.

On 1/22/2004 at 5:45 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

immature, overwhelmed, short-sighted

A Christian who identifies more with his present homeland will have his heart on the treasures of this world.  They will be more involved with pleasing people and worrying about their future in this world.

I was like that before I accepted Jesus.  Even now sometimes I tend to slip, but on conviction by God the Holy Spirit and by Gods grace I am able to correct and repent immediately.

To get our spiritual priorities right we have to have to work on having a close relationship with God, know the Truth and the truth will set us free.

A Christian who identifies more with his earthly homeland rather than his heavenly one is not a true born again Christian who follows not Christ.

Occasional, I have caught myself doing the same thing. Realizing this I ask the Lord to strengthen me so I not take my eyes off of him or his heavenly kingdom.

To get our spiritual priorities right we must repent and ask God for forgiveness and his strength to carry on.    

A Christian that identifies with the world more then our heavenly one is probably not in the word. It could be just ignorance on how to live a Christian Life. 

I was just that way before I really gave my life to the Lord. And really started studying the word. And found out that I have power over the devil.

I've done many studies. I didn't even know that I had any power. Somebody actually told me that I had tools to learn. That I have power over the devil. I was struggling with a major attack in my life then.

God spoke to me to me many times. But when I went to Israel he really spoke to me and I am learning more and more every day.

Without a human example in your life you truly have to trust in the Lord. Sometimes it's really hard, but God is faithful.

A Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one is a Christian who does not have his priorities straight.

yes.

Prayer . 

On Thursday, January 22, 2004 at 11:45 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (1:1) How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one? Have you ever caught yourself doing this? What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straigh 

The behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one is one that lives worrying and thinking only about earthly things, who is not mature enough and still growing in the Lord. Such people or person I believe is often more concerned about what happens to him, how he can make it in this world. It's often more about him and not about the Lord.

I have been caught doing this several times. In diverse ways, how I'd think, the decisions I'd make or even how I'd react to problems, disappointments, failures and all the more.

We just need to know first of all that we there are priorities, then give our heart to knowing them and understanding them. From there we would decide whether we want to live by them or not. And if yes,we would give ourselves wholly to living by them with the help of the Holy Spirit through the consistent and daily studying of the Word and prayer so that our minds be aligned and transformed and renewed daily unto our priorities.

How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one? Have you ever caught yourself doing this? What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?"

Pride,Ignorance, Disobedience, Weakness and  Defeated Christians. I place these 5 Factors in their order. Weakness comes when men fails to obey. God gave us set of instructions (Commandments) to follow  and even speak to us in many different ways everyday as guide to our every day's situations and circumstances. Remember, we are all here to carry out instructions to successfully accomplish all our mission.(Gods Will). Every time when God gave an instruction, man- therefore, a Christian is good at modifying this set of instruction into one he taught that will suit both of them so  he can carry out for people to see him, even if the instruction is simple. (Pride). Now, which is important the modified version or the original when the bible says God is All Knowing? Thus, he ignores an instruction even though he may be right but was wrong due to negligence of the Original instruction .(Ignorance). Now that is already disobedience, as happened in the Garden of Eden, Failure and ignorance to instructions.(Disobedience). As a result man becomes weak and is overcome by the enemies (the spiritual enemies as in 2 Coritians 4:10) and he is defeated.

Now the a christian cannot realise what he is doing as wrong, because he is living a Defeated Christian Life where only others can see and tell. Therefore, what he is thinking and doing is of this world for he is now controlled by the god of this world (2Corintians 4:4) thinking that he is still a Christian. His hidden motives as a Christian changes and his priorities are wrong. Total chaos...

I have been through that many times on my Christian journey as a Christian and this is what I do to get my spiritual priorities straight: I Repent everyday, asked God for His forgiveness, learn from my mistakes, forgot about the past and carry on to face the different Challenges of being a Christian. Paul said in (2conrintians 12:9-10) that His grace is sufficient for us and His strength is made perfect in weakness.

There is Hope in Christ Jesus so long as you live to see another day, He is your righteousness. Therefore, forget about the past get you spiritual priorities right to win the race...

On 1/22/2004 at 8:15 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I would say that that Christian is not representing the characteristics of the homeland to which he/she has been called.  If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature, old things are supposed to be passed away and all things are to become new.  We are to display the character of the Christ to a lost and dying world that Christ has redeemed.  We oft' times sing Col. 3:  If (rendering is since) ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God, set your affection on things above, not on things upon this earth, for we are dead and our life is hid with Christ in God.  Yes, I have caught myself many times in the past 40 years too much consumed with this life and this world, that's why the call of the Spirit/Word is so pointed and compelling for the Christian in this wilderness here below to come out from among them and be ye separate from the world.  To sharpen our spiritual priorities we must keep our eyes on Christ in His exalted position and live life as in His presence.  Pray Romans 12:1-4 daily and insert your name, I beseech you therefore (name) to not be conformed to this worlds form (hold) but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind...

Gal. 6:14

• 2 weeks later...

Christians don't identify with heaven, in my opinion, because they're not taught what the bible says about it. If believers were taught from an early age that our eternal life with would involve sights, sounds, feelings, experiences, and relationships that were unimaginably wonderful compared to anything in earthly life, then they would look forward to it. As it it, Christians cling to what they know-- the world.

A Christian who has lost touch with reality and probably not reading their Bible very often.

I think so, but He drew me back rather quickly.

We need to be in the Word daily, praying, spending time with brothers & sisters in Christ.  Actually, we need to repent from wrong priorities.

The present day Christians identify with the present home in this world than the permanent homeland which is in the heaven, because we are more connected to this corrupt world and its systems on a regular basis, and lack of keeping in constant touch with the word of God which promises and reminds us that this is not our home, here when we get engrossed in accumulating worldly wealth and riches we get more attached to them, and to earn the permanent home which God has made ready for us we should leave the riches and wealth behind and follow Him which is proving difficult for the present day Christians to do so, as for me I get back to the heavenly father each time I fall to give strength to keep my goal on the eternal kingdom and be prepared to get the citizenship for the eternal kingdom, repenting and being humble and living holy to be holy Father.

A Christian who has not yet discovered (or remembered) his place in the Kingdom. By identifying themselves with the present homeland and not heavenly, they are subject to worldly influence and not heavenly influence. Yes, I'm guilty as charged, I caught myself doing this unfortunately. By being part of the world as a Christian, I become "luke warm". What I have to do to set my priorities straight is to "renew my mind" by making tough choices to not be misled by my present homeland. The spiritual realm of God must take precedence over my thoughts and actions. I have to 1) Study the Word more often, 2) Be around believers 3) Pray constantly 4) Talk to God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit often, *Keeping them in mind often. 5) Believing wholeheartedly that the great "I AM" knows my heart and my thoughts and actions. 6) Reminding myself that fearing God is the beginning of wisdom. 7) Meditate on Holy Spirit influence.

• 4 weeks later...

How would you describe the behavior of a Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one? Have you ever caught yourself doing this? What has to happen to get our spiritual priorities straight?

A Christian who identifies more with his present homeland than his heavenly one is laying up treasures here on earth where they will be destroyed.  This Christian's heart will follow after earthly treasures instead of preparing for the joys of Heaven.  I have caught myself in this situation and am determined by the grace of God to keep my eyes on the prize that I can lay at the Master's feet. (Matthew 6:19-24  19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light, 23 but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness! 24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.")

• 1 year later...

They live troubled lives consumed by worry, fear and lack. They are more conscious of their natural soundings instead of their spiritual lives. They go in and out of the presence of the Lord and do not know how access the finished work of the cross. Their spiritual live are not stable. This is something that I am presently going through.

They should always feed on the word of God and learn to let go and let God take the steering wheel in their lives. They should always speak the word upon every situation.