JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Forgiveness and Obedience

Q2. (1:2) Why do forgiveness (sprinkling) and obedience come together as a package? Why is it deceptive to think you can have one without the other? Extra credit: If true faith requires obedience, how can we say that we are saved by grace rather than works? (Ephesians 2:8-10)

When we are forgiven we are released from the power of sin so that we are able to obey. (Romans 6:6-7) Because you are the slave to the one that you offer yourself to obey. (Romans 6:15-18) It is because that we are saved by grace that we are created to do good works that he has prepared in advance for us to do.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1:2) Why do forgiveness (sprinkling) and obedience come together as a package? Why is it deceptive to think you can have one without the other? Extra credit: If true faith requires obedience, how can we say that we are saved by grace rather than works? (Ephesians 2:8-10)

To forgive is part of the commandment of god.Obedience forms part of the commandment as well.Both come as one package because when one forgives,one is being obedient to the sciptures.Simultaneously, if one abides by the sciptures,walk as the word requires one to walk,in short being obedient to god ,on will have to forgive so as so prosper.god will not bless us if we walk in unforgiveness.i don't think it is deceptive ...i truely believe that all are inter- related to reach perfection.god is perfect...his works are perfect . And they all lead to love.Grace is the unmerited love of christ.no man is worth receiving credits for perfection of his thoughts,actions and speech.the bible reveals to us that all have sinned.none of us have reached perfection to receive grace,only christ achieved that.Through christ we have received grace because of His works.so we have been saved BY the grace of GOD through the spectacular WORKS of christ.now to enjoy the fullness of god's blessing in our life ,we definitely have to allow ourselves to be moulded by the holy spirit,it definitely requires obedience to the scriptures and allowing the words to cut in till our marrow to fulfill perfection of christ in us.finally true faith requires good works.

God has designed it the way it is. It is easy for us to ask for forgiveness for a sin and not turning away from that sin. It is important that we stay in the word of God after we are forgiven so we can run away from the sin and live a life that will please God.

By the grace of God and through our faith we can be save.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (1:2)

Why do forgiveness (sprinkling) and obedience come together as a package?

Why is it deceptive to think you can have one without the other?

Extra credit: If true faith requires obedience, how can we say that we are saved by grace rather than works? (Ephesians 2:8-10)

It is impossible to believe in Jesus yet not obey His commands. Once we have been saved and have a personal relationship with our Saviour Jesus Christ, we will want to be obedient to God

Obedience to Jesus is important because once we ask Jesus to forgive us of our sins (sprinkling), He wants to lead us into a new way of life. He can only do that if we are obedient. Jesus forgave us of our sins when we believed. That was freely done. Our works are the fruit, proof that he lives in us.

• 1 month later...

If we sin then ask for forgivness, but never walk in obedience, we will never grow in the Lord. Forgivness doesn't give us licence to sin.

By believing no matter what we do we are forgiven, we never learn there are consequences for those sins and we never can move forward in our walk with Christ.

In a true born again Christian when you recieve God's forgivness the Holy Spirit creates in you the desire to obey.

Without this desire your forgivness gives licence to sin. A person will believe because they are forgiven they need only ask for that forgivness then they can go on living in the world as they always have. The two have to be together for you to grow as a believer in Christ.

Obedience is not a work it is a heart's desire to do the will of the Lord.

• 1 month later...

We do not naturally (automatically) follow the Lord. We need to read the Word and hear His will for us e.g. 'that we must love one another' and then be sure to act on that,which is obedience. Sometimes you may not want to love someone (in the SAME way that Christ loved us--to the point of laying down His life for us) so, you have to decide: Will I obey Christ's instruction to love or will I follow my will at the time. So it is with forgiveness. I may want to take revenge and may want the person to know that they have done me wrong and make them grovel but that is not the way of thE Lord. We are to forgive and in so doing bring glory to the Lord. Again, it is not natural or automatic for humans to forgive one another... otherwise, I think there would be very few wars. We have to make a conscious effort in obedience to forgive.

• 2 weeks later...

Just because I'm saved and forgiven by the shed blood of Jesus Christ, it does not give me the right to go on sinning. My life is not my own.

I don't deserve to be saved . It is a gift and I cannot work for a gift.

• 4 months later...

If we are REALLY sorry for the sins we have committed, our heart-full desire is to do what Jesus said "be perfect" and if we never get there, we'll have a lot of sincere heart-full repenting to do! To ask fro forgiveness from the Father can only be done in Jesus name, or it makes no sense, and it doesn't follow what Jesus said in the book of John and elsewhere in the Gospels, '... you can only go to the Father through me...'

We are sinners and poor in spirit "be-attitudes in Matthew 5-7" it is hopeless to think we can live without sinning, it sour nature since birth. We can never do enough to be granted eternal life. Thanks dear Jesus ... your grace is enough for your joy to fill my life! For sure I do not deserve it, and for sure I love Him for dying for all my sins, he is my Savior, my all in all, my firm foundation, the rock of my salvation.

• 3 weeks later...

IT IS HARD TO OBEY GOD IF YOU DON'T KNOW YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN FORGIVEN THROUGH THE SHED BLOOD OF JESUS ON THE CROSS.WHEN JESUS WAS OBEDIENT UNTO THE FATHER BY LAYING DOWN HIS LIFE ON THE CROSS, THEN WERE WE FORGIVEN. LIKEWISE, IN ORDER FOR ME TO BE OBEDIENT UNTO GOD, I ALSO HAVE TO EXTEND FORGIVENESS UNTO THOSE WHO HAVE HURT ME, AND ALSO RECEIVE GOD'S FORGIVENESS FOR MY SINS. SO THEY GO TOGETHER, OBEYING GOD AND FORGIVING OTHERS.WE ARE SAVED BY GOD'S GRACE, AND NOT BY OUR GOOD WORKS. GRACE IS A FREE GIFT,WE DON'T HAVE TO EARN OUR SALVATION BY OUR WORKS.BUT IF WE LOVE GOD, WE WILL OBEY HIM AND IT WILL PRODUCE GOOD WORKS IN US, BECAUSE FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD.WE ARE NOT SAVED BY WORKS, BUT FOR WORKS, SO HE CAN BE GLORIFIED THROUGH OUR GOOD WORKS.GOD BLESS..

• 2 months later...

I think that forgiveness and obedience go hand in hand...yes we may be forgiven but it does not mean disobey and go sin...to me that would be like spitting in our Saviors face. I know I am forgiven and saved, but that does not mean I'm not gonna live to try and be somewhat worthy of that.

And we are saved by grace yes but by living obediently we are showing God that we are at least grateful for that grace. How can we call ourselves "lights" in this world if we are living in darkness and doing the same things of this world...doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Because you are asking God to forgive you of something that you know is wrong and an offense to Him and His ways, so the only natural course of action is to change the behavior as to not offend again.It is deceptive because it makes you think that God doesn't really care if you sin and if He didnt and it wasnt that offensive, Jesus didnt need to die to pay for them.Its not of works because we dont do works to gain forgiveness,they are a response of already being forgiven.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (1:2) Why do forgiveness (sprinkling) and obedience come together as a package?

Forgiveness (sprinkling) and obedience come together as a package because to believe in Jesus for salvation is accomplished by obedience and with the obedience to salvation come forgiveness.

It is deceptive to think that you can have one without the other because without obedience there is no salvation and forgiveness comes with salvation.

Extra credit: If true faith requires obedience, how can we say that we are saved by grace rather than works? (Ephesians 2:8-10)

True faith requires believing in God and because we believe we obey. We can say that we are saved by grace because our salvation is a work of God, He saves us. We are not saved by any work of our own.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In receiving God's forgiveness we give ourselves to him to be his obedient disciple to fulfill His love in the world, therefore, we cannot have one without the other. True faith does require obedience because only our devotion and love of God thru Jesus Christ can save us, not works. However, if we love God we will be obedient to Him and therefore will do His works in our world as He has commanded us to do.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If we look at the Old Testament, we have no access to God the Father without sacrifice and the shedding of blood & without full obedience we cannot access the riches that God has in store for us. The Israelites walked in peace and protection when they followed the letter of the law. God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow: therefore the laws still apply today but our salvation is through Jesus's crucifiction (the blameless lamb)not the slaughter of animals.

We cannot accept Jesus died on the cross for our sin (forgiveness) and carry on living without changing our sinful lifestyle. God has commanded us to be holy as He is holy (Odebience). The friuts of our salvation will be our obedience to God and His law.

If we believe we can have one without the other:

Only forgiveness - we can continue living Godless lives and asking for forgiveness when we feel it is necessary and we need to clean the slate.

Only obedience/ works - we have a right to God's promises as we have earned the right in doing good deeds.

God is not impressed by our good works...... it is out of obedience (faith) to His death on the cross for our forgiveness of our sin that we are saved. It is our good works that reflect what He has done in our lives after all, God has created and called us to His purpose.

Forgiveness and obedience come together as a package. One depends on the other...without obedience to God how can we expect His forgiveness?

Believing that we can have forgiveness without obedience is a deception for we must learn to obey and follow Jesus, have faith and work diligently @ living by His teachings.

Q2. (1:2) Why do forgiveness (sprinkling) and obedience come together as a package?

Once we take Christ as our Savior it's not enough to just have the forgiveness that becoming a Christian affords us. We're told in the Bible to live a life according to the teachings of Christ. That means doing right in God's sight. In other words: obedience to God and His word. We only obtain forgiveness when we become children of God and as His children we must obey Him to remain in fellowship with Him.

Because it goes against the teaching in the Bible. When the Pharisees and others went to John the Baptist he wouldn't baptize them because they wanted forgiveness but had no intention of changing their ways and doing the things that showed they had in fact repented. Faith without works is dead.

It is by the grace of God that we are saved in the first place. God's grace then enables us to have faith in Him and our faith in Him is evidenced in our lives by our good works. By doing good works and hoping that will please God when we haven't put our faith in Jesus Christ first we're putting the cart before the horse. There are plenty of atheists out there who do wonderfully good deeds and help the various charities and feed the hungry, but if they don't believe in God . . . come judgment day they'll still be judged unrighteous.

By the same token, if we proclaim faith in God yet do nothing for God's Kingdom in the way of good works, I don't know how secure our salvation will be. It doesn't take much. Even giving to God's work in the collection plate is a start. Who knows? God may have it planned out that you'll end up financing someone's ministry. They have the where with all to serve God in their way but can't get the money to finance it. That's where the giver comes in. The more you give the more God enables you to give. This really works.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (1:2) Why do forgiveness (sprinkling) and obedience come together as a package? Because forgiveness requires true repentance and true repentance requires obedience.

Why is it deceptive to think you can have one without the other? Because forgiveness is a two way process. It requires our repentance, which requires our obedience before we can be forgiven.

Extra credit: If true faith requires obedience, how can we say that we are saved by grace rather than works? (Ephesians 2:8-10) The source of our salvation is God's grace. Without that grace the rest would be meaningless. However, given that grace then faith and works and obedience are all a part of our salvation but stemming from God's grace.

• 2 weeks later...

It takes forgiveness on our part in an act of obedience to be forgiven. It also must be a desire to be obedient to be forgiven. We can never be truly sinless till Jesus returns but we need to strive daily to walk in the love He walked in and live as free from sin as we can,Jesus said that the Spirit is willing but the body is weak. We need to build that strength by doing as James instructed us and building our faith in the grace of God.

• 7 months later...

2a)When I accepted the Jesus died to cleanse me from sin&fear,Holy Spirit softened my heart to respond in obedience and I commited to follow Jesus & I was forgiven,receiving the gift of faith.Being obedient was part of the agreement in following Jesus b)There must be a desire to be obedient to be forgiven Holy Spirit works in us to know our need of Jesus,otherwise were still worldly and not a citizen of heaven. C)Faith is a mercy gift from God freeing me giving me peace,not through what I have done or not done,but by His grace.This prompts me to make corrections where I have gone wrong,being so grateful for Jesus sacrifice,commiting again to obey him &his instructions to live by faith for Jesus.Our part is nothing compared to what Jesus has for us .

• 8 months later...

Forgiveness and Obedience come as a package since we're called to slay our old selves and behave like Christ. Since Christ is the only one who can behave like Christ, obedience is a difficult challenge. I am a Lutheran, so Grace is central to my view of God. Grace and the Law live in tension with each other, but we are saved by Grace, not by any particular good things we do.

• 4 months later...

Forgiveness is followed up be obedience. God works in us so we can choose to work in him through obeying. I am so thankful for God's forgiveness and it prompts a desire in me to be obedient to him in my lifestyle. There are moments when my actions fall way short of what God requires and the input of grace to me and great measure should prompt my heart to obey and spiritually fortify myself so I can obey.