JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Breaking God's commandment

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joshua gave them strict instructions to be faithful to follow the Lord and not to be influenced by the heathen. but the break the first commandment, which clearly stated "thou shalt have not other gods before me", no longer did they serve the Lord only.

They did no listen, becaused they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather that the creator who is forever prasied (Romans 1:21-32).

Christians today including me tends to sometimes look more at wordly things which only last for a while instead of what is everlasting our Father.

Israel turned away from God by breaking the commandment of having no other gods before Him. Their lack of listening seemed to stem from their short memories of what He had done for them in the past. They failed to recognise Him as the source of their salvation. When times are tough, we are quick to turn to God for help and recognise Him as the source of protection and comfort, but when times are good we quickly forget that without Him there is nothing to sustain us.

Isreal had disobeyed God and turned to worhsipping idols, which had went against the first commandment of having no other gods before Jehovah God.

They made a choice. They had forgotten what God had done for them, and so quickly at that.

We, just like the children of Israel, forget sooooo fast what God has done for us at times. Maybe not meaning to, but we do tend to put other things and even people before God. It makes no difference what or who we put there, ANYTHING or ANYONE who takes us away from God and the time we spend with Him, is an idol. We must recognize that God has done so much for us, and we must not take that for granted. If we find ourselves in this position, we must ask for forgiveness as soon as possible.

I am the Lord your God! Israel followed the gods of the land and ceased in the pursuit of removing them from their presence thus they got used to them and began to be pluralistic "If one God is good many gods could not hurt". And/or our neighbor has been having some good crops and he worships those other gods so it won't hurt me to give them a little room in my life.

Our God is God! No explanation no background offered and none needed if you are GOD and have always been and you formed all things... that explanation enough.

Israel left their first love and shared this love with others. Today we see through liberal theologians many in our churches that have surrendered to the pluralistic teaching of "there are many ways to please God", but God's Word reminds us that that He is the only one and all others lead to destruction and that Jesus is the WAY to the Father.

To remind of of how quickly we can wander we read of what sounded like a wonderful Church at Ephesus (Acts19 & Eph.) and already in the book of Revelation we hear Jesus telling them that there was reason for concern for their spiritual health. Let us do as Christ instructed the Church at Ephesus and repent and do the first works lest our candlestick would be removed.

2 Chronicles 16:9 For the eyes of Jehovah run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him.

God Bless

• 2 weeks later...

The reason for Israel's oppressed state is due to their rejection of the laws of God and going their own way. They had broken the commandment of God that warns them against reverencing other gods. They did not listened to the voice of the Lord and went ahead to reverence the gods of the Amorites. The sin of disobedience affects the Christians today i.e. we reverence many gods, like money, education - careers etc. and we put God second in our lives.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Reason for Israel's oppressed state: Worship of false gods.

Broken commandment: The "primary" commandment: I am the Lord your God and You shall have no other gods before me.

How does this affect us: Even if we do not literally worship idols, not giving importance to the Lord or substituting the Worship of the Almighty God with any other thing,person,activity etc will land us in the same soup. We have to make a sincere effort, every second of our lives, to fulfill the reason for our existence i.e glorifying the Almighty God.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Isralites were brought to the Promised Land of Canaan with strict instructions that they were to be faithful to follow the Lord and not be influenced by the heathen worship around them.

Nevertheless, after settling, they began to worship both Yahweh and Baal, the god of the Amorites. They combined two very different religions No longer did they keep the first commandment to "have no other gods"

According to the book of Deut., the bible says that "I am a Jelous God, have no other gods" God punished them by giving them to Amorites.

The Isralites did not listen to the strict rules that were given to them. The same applies to today's christians when they turn away from God by indulging themselves to the things of flesh, like love of money, adultery, idolatory and many other things as mentioned in the book of galatians

(Judges 6:7-10)

7And it came to pass, when the children of Israel cried unto the LORD because of the Midianites,

8That the LORD sent a prophet unto the children of Israel, which said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I brought you up from Egypt, and brought you forth out of the house of bondage;

9And I delivered you out of the hand of the Egyptians, and out of the hand of all that oppressed you, and drave them out from before you, and gave you their land;

10And I said unto you, I am the LORD your God; fear not the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but ye have not obeyed my voice.

Q1. a) According to the prophet, what is the reason for Israel's oppressed state?

A] The reason for Israel's oppressed state is stated in v:10 "And I said unto you, I am the LORD your God; fear not the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but ye have not obeyed my voice. " Israel feared the god of the Amorites more than they feared GOD so they began worshiping the Amorites god, they forgot what GOD had done for them. They soon found themselves in idolatry.

Q1. B) What commandment did they break?

A] The children of Israel violated the first commandment Ex 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Q1. c) In what way hadn't they "listened"?

A] I brought you up from Egypt, and brought you forth out of the house of bondage; 9And I delivered you out of the hand of the Egyptians, and out of the hand of all that oppressed you, and drave them out from before you, and gave you their land; 10And I said unto you, I am the LORD your God; fear not the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but ye have not obeyed my voice. GOD tells reminds the children of Israel of how He had delivered them from their enemies and as I am sure that these stories were past down from generation to generation as refered by Gideon as he questioned the Angel of the Lord. (13And Gideon said unto him, Oh my Lord, if the LORD be with us, why then is all this befallen us? and where be all his miracles which our fathers told us of, saying, Did not the LORD bring us up from Egypt? but now the LORD hath forsaken us, and delivered us into the hands of the Midianites.)

Q1. d) In what way does this same sin affect Christians today?

A] Many of us as Christians today would say that we would never commit such an act against GOD Himself, why to have an idol that we would go to and worship that's uncivialized. But as we've grown cival in our culture we forget that we have a formidable enemy the devil and he still uses the same trick he's just more civilized about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Judges 6:7-10) According to the prophet, what is the reason for Israel's oppressed state? What commandment did they break? In what way hadn't they "listened"? In what way does this same sin affect Christians today?

Israel once again entered into idolatry.

They broke the first commandment: Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Ex. 20:3

In what way hadn't they listened? In every way! They were to remember the mercies of God and His provisions for them. They were not to serve or worship idols. They were to be a holy people, set apart from the ungodly.

We have done the same thing. Jesus said "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God and him only shall thou serve." Matthew 4:10

We have become more like the world rather than the world more like us.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Q1. (Judges 6:7-10) According to the prophet, what is the reason for Israel's oppressed state?

They had forsaken their God, and intermingled their religion with that of the Amorites false gods, ignoring God's commands to the contrary.

What commandment did they break?

The first commandment: You shall have no other gods before me.

In what way hadn't they "listened"?

They directly and rebelliously disobeyed God.

In what way does this same sin affect Christians today?

Today we may prefer "idols" of money, house, car, sports, t.v., even church work He hasn't asked us to do...... any number of things, relegating God to a lesser position in our lives than Number ONE. We may mingle other things into our faith in God, as they did.....one foot in the Kingdom of God, and the other in the world, pursuing it's "pleasures"....

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Q1. (Judges 6:7-10) According to the prophet, what is the reason for Israel's oppressed state? What commandment did they break? In what way hadn't they "listened"? In what way does this same sin affect Christians today?

Serving the god of the Amorites. "You shall have no other gods before Me." By serving the gods of the Amorites. We sometimes put things, or people before God, letting those things or people become first place in our lives.

• 2 weeks later...

The Israelites worship other God,in this case the God of Ammorites(Judges 6:10-10 And I said unto you, I am the LORD your God ; fear not the gods of the Amorites , in whose land ye dwell : but ye have not obeyed my voice).

By this verse,the people has blatantly disobeyed the verbal("you have not obeyed my voice")instruction from the Lord,that HE IS THE ONLY GOD of the israelites,and that they shall fear no other God.This is the covenant between The Israelites and the Lord:

2 Kings 17:35-38-With whom the LORD had made a covenant, and charged them, saying, Ye shall not fear other gods, nor bow yourselves to them, nor serve them, nor sacrifice to them:

36But the LORD, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt with great power and a stretched out arm, him shall ye fear, and him shall ye worship, and to him shall ye do sacrifice.

37And the statutes, and the ordinances, and the law, and the commandment, which he wrote for you, ye shall observe to do for evermore; and ye shall not fear other gods.

38And the covenant that I have made with you ye shall not forget; neither shall ye fear other gods.

It affects Christians today(including me),in all walks of life,fear of losing Job,fear of economy,fear of critisism in sharing the Word,fear of poverty nd the likes..even God has promised us,that HE WILL NEVER LEAVE NOR FORSAKE US(HEBREWS 13:5-6)

We are just lucky,that we are covered with a better covenant between God and Jesus,and that God i operating in Mercy and Grace now,because of the blood of Jesus,and we can always be sure that Jesus has taken all the punishment that is supposed to be ours..

PRAISE YOU JESUS.

• 4 weeks later...

<!--quoteo(post=57:date=Jan 10 2003, 11:21 PM:name=Pastor Ralph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pastor Ralph @ Jan 10 2003, 11:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=57"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Q1. (Judges

The Iseralites, once again, did what was evil in the sight of the Lord and followed after other gods. The gods of the Amelekites to be exact.

The commandment that was broken was, thou shall have no other gods before Me.

The Israelites did not listen to God when He said,

"...do not worship the gods of the Amorites..."

They followed after their own desires and passions.

When we take our eyes of off Jesus Christ and His redemptive work of the Cross, we turn aside to all His commands and thus, trample under foot the precious blood of Jesus. When we are in this state of exestince, we are numb to his calling, His gentle voice, and the tugging on our hearts by the Holy Spirit. This puts us out from under His umbrella covering and we cannot fully fulfill the destiny he has for us.