JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Increasing God's Praise

I think by living openly as Christians and doing good deeds and letting people see the change in us shows others that its not just us working on us, its God, and maybe, just maybem they will want the same life. If we blend in we look just like everyone else and leaves no question as to what we are doing with our lives because we are already putting all of our dirt out there. You live in dirt you look dirty, you live clean you look clean, plain and simple. And since the world is living so dirty it brings attention when someone walks in and is living clean and when people ask and are told that its Gods work it brings him the glory which if I do say so myself...is awesome.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. (2:12) How can the good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians increase God's praise. How does our "blending in" detract from God's praise?

The good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians will increase God's praise as family members, friends, neighbors, those around us see our lives, become Christians and they too give God praise.

How does our "blending in" detract from God's praise?

Our "blending in" detract from God's praise because those who do not know Him has no point of reference to draw them to Him, by looking at our lives. All they see is us doing the same things that they do.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Q5. (2:12) How can the good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians increase God's praise. How does our "blending in" detract from God's praise?

The good deeds that we commit by living openly as Christians increases God's praise as others see that we need not fleshy lifestyles to find happiness, joy and contentment.

When "blending-in" we basically show that the Christian lifestyle has nothing to offer and it is the cultural habits that bring us joy, peace and love.

The world system says "Take it all, don't worry about the consequences of how you get it.... you desire it!" Our selfless-giving shows love towards people, it values them and shows a different/ opposite kind of spirirt. This reflects Gods love towards us as we are underserving of His love, but He gave freely to us, so we freely give to others. This causes people to be attracted to Christians and in turn we can help them to look to Jesus and give Him praise. I believe the highest form of praise is total surrender to Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...

By showing the love of Christ to other in need we are showing our love for Christ. By doing good for others we lead them to show the same love we show them. When you love the unlovable it eventually effects them in a good way and they tend to come to love someone else the same way.

• 3 weeks later...

Q5. (2:12) How can the good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians increase God's praise?

To answer this question I'll use as an example the Salvation Army. Even totally godless people know their deeds and the advertising blurb: Thank God for the Salvos.

We may not think anyone's watching but they are. Our good works will influence people. That positive influence will make even the most evil person think about the God who motivates such good works.

How does our "blending in" detract from God's praise?

If we behave no differently to everyone else, how can people distinguish us from the average godless person with no moral character? There would be the perception that being a Christian doesn't mean anything.

• 6 months later...

5a)If we blend in, our distinctiveness as Christians giving,loving, forgiving, caring for others before ourselves,persevering through difficulties trusting in Jesus, being a gentle quiet spirit and ability to be salt and light in the world Jesus calls us to is weakened. We need to try and live good holy lives and glorify Jesus name, so people around us see the difference Jesus has made in our lives as believers.

• 1 year later...

We are called by God to do good to other people even when nobody notices.  But others will not praise God for the good we do if we don't tell them that it is God who motivates us to do good.  So, we need to do both:  do good deeds and speak of Jesus and His loving sacrifice on the cross to save us.

It would be wonderful if those who oppose Christ in us could find no corruption or sin to charge us with except for serving and obeying Christ, as was the case with Daniel  (6:3-5), when they persecute us.   If we blend-in with the world, they won't need to persecute us because we will not be glorifying God, and they will either think that we are not genuine Christians or our God is impotent.

• 1 month later...

When the world sees the love and actions of authentic Christians as they live, serve God and others in this world it serves as a witness.  A witness that is a light to the world of wisdom and power to change the hearts and lives of people.  To give hope to the hopeless.

When people encounter God they want to praise God.

When we blend with the world we become a part of the world and the world cannot tell the difference between Christians and the world.  So, there is no witness and the life of  the carnal Christian does not draw anyone to Jesus Christ.  That takes away from God.

• 2 years later...

As Christians we live open good lives, that by our good deeds the evil doers in the end time will give glory to God and bring him praise. By our deeds we are bring praise to Gods name from our neighbors and fellow Christians.

When we Christians blend into the world and it's evil ways, no one can tell if we are followers of Christ or not. By blending in we do not bring praise to God, because we have become just as they are with their fleshly desires. We must stand out by our conduct and good deeds. Thus we are separated from the world, we belong to God's chosen people.  

• 2 months later...

In many ways its similar to your employment; your good work, your service, your attitude, your willingness to go the extra mile, often times, just your smile. They all reflect back to your employer. Customers may praise the company for it's good service, and products. Tell their friends the company's name, that their employees are great. Probably even give them your name, saying, "make sure you get him or her when you go in." Your company gets a good name and receives praise because of your good work and dedication to serving the customer.

As a Christian, doing good for others and showing them that they matter, reflects praise on God. If you love others the way Jesus has loved you, people will be drawn to Christ and often want to have what you have. Or they might ask you to explain your faith and why you live the way you do. Giving you an opportunity to witness about the greatness of God, what Christ has done for you, how he has saved you. How they can have a radically transformed life as a follower of Christ!

If you choose to blend; even if you do good for other and are a great person, if people don't know that your a Christian, they will just think your a nice guy or girl. They will praise you instead of God

15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:15-16

• 4 months later...

How can the good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians increase God's praise. How does our "blending in" detract from God's praise?

Unfortunately, I can’t change how I’m perceived by other people, nor can I make anyone like or approve of me as a person, only God can do that.  All I can do on my own is constantly strive to improve the body, soul and the spirit that God has entrusted to me.  My faith is derived from a heart devoted to Christ Jesus and a Christian lifestyle that exudes a glory and power that (I pray) can be seen (and felt) by those around me.  The reward for those who choose to honor and glorify God by living a Christian lifestyle is an intimate relationship with the Father through Christ Jesus.

Because of our Christian faith, we are constantly being watched and (like it or not) judged by how we interact with one another and by how we interact with other people.  As a result we must always exude a positive reflection of the Christian life, a true love of God and stand as a shining symbol of Christian service in both word and deed.  All of these things serve to validate our love of God and provide visible confirmation of a lifestyle that both honors and glorifies God. 

In this day and age, there are far too many self-proclaimed Christians who outwardly cloak themselves in holiness on Sunday morning and then backslide to the ways of the world the rest of the week.  These “chameleon Christians” are cut off from God and extremely poor witnesses that reflect poorly on the sincere believer.  These people don’t seem to understand (or just don’t care) that a life cut off from the vine will be cast aside to wither and die both physically and spiritually.

• 6 months later...

This issue is related to the commandment "do not take God's name in vain". This is better expressed as "do not bring God's name in to disrepute". In other words, proclaim your faith by your actions and set a good example. Do not criticise other people's sins, but shame them by doing right yourself. Its certainly true that actions speak louder than words. An act of kindness, or self-control speaks volumes about faith. Hypocrisy is one of the worst sins a Christian can commit, because it sends a strong message that Christianity is meaningless. One hypocrite can convince many people that faith is worthless and undo the good done by the good example set by many genuinely faithful people. If we notice a sin in ourselves, the least we can do is not to criticise others for that same sin. The best we can do is repent that sin and tell others how God helped us to do that and how our lives are now better because of that. 

"Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us." (2:12)

Good lives and Good deeds speak loudly to our neighbours, workmates, and friends. These can enable us to be used by the Holy Spirit to lead people towards knowing God for themselves.  As they see the life of the Spirit within us they may come to God. For this reason they will be prepared to “rejoice at His appearing” and to glorify God on that day when He appears. 

• 6 months later...

God's people do not blend in with the world.  We are sanctify therefore, we stand apart from the world.  When the world knows of our struggles and when they see (1) that we do not look like what we been through and (2) when they see the prosperity of the saints, they of the world calls on a saint to pray for them or they come to hear a word of God in a church/bible study settings. Sometimes the seed is sown on good soil and sometimes its not.

On 2/14/2004 at 2:22 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians  increase God's praises, by doing it influence and convince others the truth of the gospel so that they too will glorify God. Our blending in, it cannot detract us from God's praises but influence them to glorify God our good and love towards them.

We are the light and salt of the earth that means people look at us and judge us by our acts so we out to love, care for the needy and give to the people of God. To blend in is to do your part effectively because we form the many parts that make up the body of Christ and every part is important and has to be involved to obtain a finished body.

Others will see these deeds and my joy in living a Christian life and want that for themselves. If I attempt to be like others by behaving no differently from non-believers, I am not setting an example of a different way of living. I am a representative of the Christian way of living which includes praising God. By “blending in,” I may forget my identity as a Christ-follower. I must constantly remind myself to glorify God through my actions, prayers and reading the Word. 

Q2. (2:5) If your praise is primarily for God's benefit, not your own, how should you be offering praise?

The answer is not too easy so. In fact, In everything that you do. Do it with your whole heart. This is the perfect praise...

when we live open lives, friends, family, and neighbors see the blessing we receive. In turn, they will also praise Him. By hiding or blrnding, we encourage worldly influences that can lead others astray.

(2:12) How can the good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians increase God's praise. How does our "blending in" detract from God's praise?

You never know who is watching you.  As Christians, we must live our lives according to God's word.  We may help our friends, neighbors, and relatives to be convinced of the truth of the Gospel, so that they, too, will glorify God. "  Blending in will detract from God's praise because we are to be "separate" "called apart" from the world.

On 2/14/2004 at 2:22 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The good deeds we commit by living openly as Christians  increase God's praises, by doing iits influence and convince others the truth of the gospel so that they too will glorify God wholeheartedly. Our blending in, cannot and will never detract us from God's praises but influence others to glorify God because of our good deeds and love towards them.