JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Hunger for God

• 2 months later...

We have a hunger for o have a close relationship with God every minute, every hour. You don't even feel like eating, because you feel full. We will follow Him and not let go because that is the core of His Glory, and experience that change our lives that the Spirit can bring us. We seek Him hard and His blessing is always on time. 

When you begin to tell lies, your thoughts are worldly. You loose all interest in seeking God. The world and everything in it is the person god. Fasting and praying will help to renew your hunger for God because you are purifying your body and in constant pray with God. When you have a hunger for God you will not let Him go until you receive your blessing. You have faith in God that he is going to bless you.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:45 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Psalm 63; Philippians 3:7-19) What increases one’s hunger for God? What tends to deplete this hunger? What would it take for your hunger for God to be renewed to great intensity? How might fasting help in this process?

A. Our hunger for God increases when the pleasures and attractions of this world no longer satisfy our longings, and we yearn for that intimacy with Jesus that nothing else can satisfy.

B. Filling the soul and flesh with the world while starving the spirit depletes our hunger for God.

C. I think prayer is the only thing which will draw us back to former hunger which has waned....Will Power is just that. Short lived and always fails. Asking the Holy Spirit to draw us back and to create again the hunger we once had, I believe is the answer. He is the one who "changes our "want to"  and is our shepherd and guide and the One Who knows everything about us. Christian growth isn't a self help program of change. He is our transformer as we cooperate with Him.

D. Fasting is a wonderful way to "starve" the fleshly desires, and to refocus our out of control minds or bodies, on Him. Since Jesus fasted and His word   encourages fasting, it's an important part of our Christian walk to observe.

Q4. (Psalm 63; Philippians 3:7-19)

Q. What increases one's hunger for God?

A. Fasting. I think the Holy Spirit also also prompt us to thirst and hunger for the Lord

Q. What tends to deplete this hunger?

A. I an inclination to sin.

Q. What would it take for your hunger for God to be renewed to great intensity?

A. By a sustained desire and determination to know and  have communion with Him.

Q. How might fasting help in this process?

A. It humbles and create an appropriate atmosphere/ condition to learn at the feet of the Lord.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 2:45 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Psalm 63; Philippians 3:7-19) What increases one’s hunger for God? What tends to deplete this hunger? What would it take for your hunger for God to be renewed to great intensity? How might fasting help in this process?

Knowing that you are not where you should be with God, knowing you don't have the power or the will to do His will, Seeing how the world is today...I cry out... My soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;

Hunger for God is depleted when you get involved with the things of the world, TV, Movies, parties, wrong relationships, etc., with no time for God or His Word.

Sitting myself down and determine to spend time with Him in prayer, studying the Word, worship and communing with Him and not letting distractions take over.

Fasting would really help, because when your are not cooking or eating and you are depriving yourself of your phone or social media,  you have much more time to spend with the Lord and you are better able to hear from Him.

Q4. (Psalm 63; Philippians 3:7-19) 
What increases one's hunger for God? 
What tends to deplete this hunger? 
What would it take for your hunger for God to be renewed to great intensity? 
How might fasting help in this process?

The more we stay focused on our Lord and His Word, the more intimate the relationship, resulting in an increased hunger for Him. We were created with a yearning that God alone is able to satisfy, and this will only increase when we experience His transforming and unconditional love. Even the desire to seek God is a gift from Him (John 6:44). We read in Psalm 73:25: “Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you”. No one can be compared to the Lord and no one but the Lord can meet and satisfy the needs of our soul. All our happiness is in Him and nothing on earth can take His place. He is all-sufficient!

It is the desire for other things that tend to deplete our hunger for God. The opposite of hunger is satisfaction, it is being full, complacent and lukewarm. We are too easily satisfied by worldly things. Jesus warned us that about our hunger being choked by the worries and riches and pleasures of this life (Luke 8:14). In another place Jesus said, “the desires for other things enter in and choke the Word, and it becomes unfruitful (Mark 4:19). The desire for other things and the pleasures of this life are not evil in themselves, they are gifts from God but they can become deadly substitutes for God. 

We can renew our hunger to greater intensity by mixing with the right kind of believers, believers who are hungry for God. Fresh worship music, or even listening again to the old worship hymns, can stir our soul to worship and spend more time with our Lord. Spiritual hunger is contagious, and hopefully it will arouse a sense of hunger in us. 

Christian fasting becomes a test to see what desire controls us. Do I really hunger for God? Or have I begun to be content with His gifts? To fast is to abstain from gratifying any physical appetite, and it can take on any (eating, watching TV, etc., etc.). It gives us time to pray, teaches us self-discipline, reminds us that we can live with a lot less, and helps us appreciate God's gifts. It is of great value in promoting self-discipline. However, it must be a matter between us and God and we must only do it if we want to please Him. 

Having a strong manifestation for the glory of God increases one’s hunger for Him.   Believing, having faith in God, allowing Him to manifest Himself in us. Participating in prayer meetings, religious forums, being around spiritually minded friends/individuals all help to increase this hunger.   Devoting your time to studying God’s words and praying to Him.

Depletion of this hunger occurs as a result of a Christian believer becoming bogged down with the worldly situations around them.  Self-denial, self-indulgence, discontent, fear, anxiety, habitual sin, unforgiveness and loss of the desire to fellowship with God are all contributors to the depletion of our hunger for God.

Being truthful and acknowledging to God our sins and allowing His Holy Spirit to enter us and guide us.  ‘ Search me O God and know my heart, try me and see if there is any wicked ways in me”   Psalm 139:23.  Pray for spiritual hunger remembering that how much we hunger for God, His desire for us is greater.

Christians fast because they are hungry for God’s Words and His Spirit in their lives.  Fasting helps us to direct our thoughts and prayers to God Almighty and being nearer to Him.

Q4. (Psalm 63; Philippians 3:7-19) What increases one’s hunger for God? The more we stay focused on our Lord and His Word, the more intimate the relationship, resulting in an increased hunger for Him. We were created with a yearning that God alone is able to satisfy, and this will only increase when we experience His transforming and unconditional love. Even the desire to seek God is a gift from Him (John 6:44). We read in Psalm 73:25: “Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you”. No one can be compared to the Lord and no one but the Lord can meet and satisfy the needs of our soul. All our happiness is in Him and nothing on earth can take His place. He is all-sufficient!

What tends to deplete this hunger?Depletion of this hunger occurs as a result of a Christian believer becoming bogged down with the worldly situations around them.  Self-denial, self-indulgence, discontent, fear, anxiety, habitual sin, and loss of the desire to fellowship with God are all contributors to the depletion of our hunger for God.

What would it take for your hunger for God to be renewed to great intensity? Being truthful and acknowledging to God our sins and allowing His Holy Spirit to enter us and guide us.  ‘ Search me O God and know my heart, try me and see if there is any wicked ways in me”   Psalm 139:23.  Pray for spiritual hunger remembering that how much we hunger for God, His desire for us is greater

How might fasting help in this process?Christians fast because they are hungry for God’s Words and His Spirit in their lives.  Fasting helps us to direct our thoughts and prayers to God Almighty and being nearer to Him.

On 12/16/2016 at 1:45 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The yearning to know Christ will increase our hunger for God.

The things that deplete the hunger to know God as intimately as possible will be deflated if we ignore his work, by not following after him, by not obeying his word and most of all we care more for earthly things than of those that pertain to God.

To renew my hunger for God would be remaining continually in prayer and asking God to fill me with his spirit. Praying that he show himself to me personally would be, by all means, to my edification.

Fasting can help us to seek God more intensely by the fact we are showing our meekness and humbling our selves.      

Q4. (Psalm 63; Philippians 3:7-19) What increases one's hunger for God? What tends to deplete this hunger? What would it take for your hunger for God to be renewed to great intensity? How might fasting help in this process?

1.  When we want to gaze on God's glory, to commune with him, to know him. When our soul follows hard after God; yearns, and cry out to God.

2.  Giving up on God and half stepping to do his will.

3.  To continue to seek him, make sure I continue everyday to give up everything that’s not like him, seek the love of God, and continue to read his word as I pray everyday.

4.  It will help me to stay humble before God, to be able to hear him, and to expect my prayers to be answered according to God will.

What increase one's hunger for God? A need and a desire to have the mind of Christ increase one's hunger......hunger for intimacy

What tends to deplete this hunger? Timing....when it seem to take a long time, disappointment, frustration and when things don't turn out the way you were hoping for.

What will it takes for your hunger for God to be renew to great intensity? When you get sick of tire being sick of tired. Coming to the end of yourself. Also when you are trying to kill the flesh and you are tired of trying it your way.

How might fasting help in the process? Fasting put you in a humble posture.....letting go of your desires to hear from God

The impulse to pursue God comes from God.  Knowing that everything is a loss as compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus.

To not pursue knowing Him will deplete this hunger.  

When we fast, we seek God with greater intensity and earnestness, humbling ourselves before Him, This will bring us closer to Him, changing our hearts in the process.

Q4.

We need one food especially from God in our soul to make us glory in his kingdom. Invite Him all the time in all Situation. 

God knows what food we need for our life. We must follow Him.

I think as christian with fasting  Is good idea for our hunger for God to be renewed .

Q4. (Psalm 63; Philippians 3:7-19) What increases one's hunger for God? What tends to deplete this hunger? What would it take for your hunger for God to be renewed to great intensity? How might fasting help in this process?

In this parched and weary times.” If you are lonely or thirsty for something lasting in your life, remember David’s prayer. God alone can satisfy our deepest longings! The Bible is our safeguard both morally and theologically. When we read it individually and publicly in church, it alerts us to corrections we need to make in our thoughts, attitudes, and actions.

What are we willing to give up in order to know Christ? A crowded schedule in order to set aside a few minutes each day for prayer and Bible study? Your friend’s approval? Some of your plans or pleasures? Whatever it is, knowing Christ is more than worth the sacrifice.

Some Christians, people who claimed to be Christians but didn’t live up to Christ’s model of servanthood and self-sacrifice. Such people satisfy their own desires before even thinking about the needs of others. Freedom in Christ does not mean freedom to be selfish. It means taking every opportunity to serve and to become the best person you can be.

• 2 weeks later...

When we know that we are not capable of saving ourselves and know our weekness we depend upon his soverign power and earnestly seek his intervention, and as we konw he will definitely save us our thirst increas for him and our body longs for him as a thirsty dry land for water.

This hunger for God gets deplated and the answer from God according our timeing is getting delayed, we loose our focus and stop seeking Him, we see Abraham was tempted for the long wait for his promised son by his wife Sara to go with Hager and bear a son for her, so at times when we donot wait for the will of God to happen without patience wait hunger for god deplated.

For to be renewed to great intensity for hunger in God is keep in constant touch with God all the time in all times of the day and take his direction and intervention and his will and follow Him by the word, and get spiritual guidance from the holy spirit will keep me my huger for God alive and renewed.

Fasting helps to a great extent to keepup our spiritual disicpine in order, when we fast we understand the physical hunger of the people who cannot afford a meal, so we should donate and give to such needy, secondly when we fast we are in control of our body whcih controls us otherwise all the time, when the body is in our control we can gain control over sinful activities and have greater success in accessing to God, as He hears quickly the fasting prayer and answeres the hunble.

What increases one’s hunger for God? What tends to deplete this hunger? What would it take for your hunger for God to be renewed to great intensity? How might fasting help in this process?

God.  The constant searching and longing for more of Him, his presence and manifestation. 

Fasting because you are putting the desire for closeness with Him first and foremost of utter importance.  You are focused on him fully.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

INCREASE HUNGER: as we get to know God, wanting more of Him; reading and praying with purpose; a zeal and passion of all things concerning the intimate relationship with God; force and purpose of life focused on what would please God; faith and attitude seen as seeking Him; know God - give up things for Him; to be with God (in His presence)

DEPLETE: being a carnal christian; following the law rather than grace; lack of spending time with God; looking to the world for answers (willful)

RENEWED DESIRE of wanting to know Christ; looking up to His glory; goal of being changed into the image of God; being in the Word; around people excited about God; being desperate as our lifeline of knowing God (to cry out to Him); continue to seek Him (pursue God's will); yielding self to Him

FASTING: bringing the flesh under control for His glory (spiritual growth); encountering experience with God for more of Him 

• 2 months later...
On 12/16/2016 at 11:45 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

We seek God, actually pursue God for our understanding of him.  For the the peace that he can only give,  our hunger increases as we want to know more of him and to be in communion with him.  A deep long g to be embraced by him.  Our hunger can be delpleted through benign neglect, through not spending time in the Word.  For me I am not sure that fasting would sharpen my focus.

• 11 months later...
On 12/16/2016 at 1:45 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The rewards that come to those that seek Him out, and the great reward in Heaven if we are found worthy to be written into the book of life.  Sometimes it feels like God doesn’t care about us or that He has abandoned us.  That’s just how God operates, He has given us intelligence and wisdom the second being more important.    If we find ourselves in a rut, He wants to see how we will get out, the best way is always to turn to our Heavenly Father.  A push from the Almighty God, just a little one and He knows how to get our attention.  Fasting might help us regain our zest for God if we are lacking, because He will see that we are fasting and He will reward us openly as Jesus Christ said.

• 4 years later...

Trials and tribulations can cause one's hunger for God because like Jesus Christ who called out "My God, My God" why have you forsaken Me. When you know that you are supposed to do the will of God and seem not to be doing that, you feel the emptiness and that will draw you closer to God and make you feel vulnerable without Him. It is only when you do the will of God that you will feel the intimacy as the Holy Spirit will help you understand that God is our only sustainable Source of life and we need to hunger for Him.

What depletes this hunger is when we think we can do things using our own abilities and that is why the Word of God says we must not lean unto our own understanding. It is God who gives us the ability to achieve whatever He has purposed for our lives because all good  and perfect gifts are from Him. The hunger gets depleted when we want to do things on our own without enquiring of the Lord and when we fail, we blame God.

When I follow His precepts and always be attentive to His voice. Following God's commandments and being obedient to doing His will. Reading and studying the Word of God regularly, praying and having intimate talks with Him will surely intensify my hunger to know God better and know that He is always there for me. 

Fasting does help as the focus is not on the things of this world but on seeking the face of God. Fasting humbles one to focus on God and have constant conversation with God throughout the day.