JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Light of the World

• 2 months later...

Good deeds in this dark world brings light. Good deeds bring glory to Christ, when people see your good works and give glory to the Father. Good deeds in love prompt wonder and point to God. Your light shine through doing good things, such as, helping those who needs help, devote yourself into teaching others about Chris. The most important thing is showing love to all people and in doing so you will bring glory to Christ and the Father who is in heaven. (Ephesians 2:10) say, for we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

We are God’s children.  As believers we are filled with the Holy Spirit which allows God to shine through us as we spread His word.

‘Let your light shine’ means allowing  unbelievers  to see te good works and behavior of believers so that these could be emulated.  

Spreading the word of the Lord, living by faith and  keeping his commandments.

We were made in God’s image and He expects us to live by His commandments so that others may see it and glorify Him.

Q1. (Matthew 5:14-16) 
In what sense are we the "light of the world"? 
What does it mean to let your light shine? 
What kinds of character and actions in a believer's life bring glory to the Father? 

Why were we created to do good works? (Ephesians 2:10) 
Jesus said “I am the light of the world” (John 8:12), and when we reflect this light we become the “light of the world” – we allow the light of Christ within us to shine out from us, so that people may see it. Jesus is the source of light and we, as believers, are the reflection of His light, and we are to point others to our Father. He not only gives us the opportunity to shine but also equips us with the strength and gifts to work for the kingdom and bring glory to Him. 

The darkness of the world has never been more evident than it is now - people are lost and stumbling in the darkness of sin and despair. And we are to show that we are indeed the light of the world by exposing the darkness and the things that belong to darkness. Often people are not truly aware of darkness until the light appears. 
As a Christian we show a different type of life, it is like a light being put on, and people can see the error of their ways. People will see us and our good works, and inevitably recognise that it is by the grace of God we are what we are, that our light is His light, and that our works are His works done in us and through us. From within us glows the truth of Jesus Christ, giving others a glimpse of hope of salvation through forgiveness of sins. Our righteous behaviour grabs their attention because it is completely contrary to the selfish, unsatisfying lifestyle typical of the world. Many who see the light will want Jesus for themselves. We must remember, as bright as we may seem, we are actually nothing apart from the Lord, and also the purpose of letting our light shine and reveal our good works is not to bring attention or praise to ourselves but to God. 

A Christian’s character is described in the beatitudes, and our influence depends whether we have this character. When we attract people to us rather than to God, they will observe our human character rather than His divine character, we can be sure that what they see is not His light. 

We were created to do good works so that we can enhance the reputational glory of our Lord. Belonging to Christ we are a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17), we are His workmanship created in Christ Jesus for good works. We are not saved by good works, but we are saved for good works. Our good works are to magnify God's grace and power. This is the supreme calling of life: glorifying God. 

Q1. (Matthew 5:14-16) In what sense are we the “light of the world”? Through the glory Jesus gives us is a designed to reveal God's glory through our lives.

What does it mean to let your light shine? Let your light shine’ means allowing  unbelievers  to see the good works and behavior of believers so that these could be emulated

What kinds of character and actions in a believer’s life bring glory to the Father? A Christian’s character is described in the beatitudes, and our influence depends whether we have this character. When we attract people to us rather than to God, they will observe our human character rather than His divine character, we can be sure that what they see is not His light.

Why were we created to do good works? (Ephesians 2:10) We were made in God’s image and He expects us to live by His commandments so that others may see it and glorify Him

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:46 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Matthew 5:14-16) In what sense are we the “light of the world”? What does it mean to let your light shine? What kinds of character and actions in a believer’s life bring glory to the Father? Why were we created to do good works? (Ephesians 2:10)

A. We are the light of the world in that we share the glory of God who resides in us in the form of Holy Spirit, and we reflect His glory as we live and serve Him in our dark world.( As I'm writing this, my room is aglow with light reflected from the sun shining on a car windshield parked outside. A wonderful example of how His glory can be reflected to others as His light shines through us)

B. To let my light shine means that I'm living for Him and for His purposes and glory. It means that I'm aware of how others perceive my actions and words, therefor my desire is to "reflect Him" in all areas. It means that I'm His "love letter written on a heart of flesh" to bring His love and His Gospel of Grace to those around me.

C. When our character reflects His character through the 9 gifts or Fruit of the Spirit, as well as including honesty, integrity, faithfulness, unselfishness, generosity, and including  allowing Him to flow through the ministry gifts He's placed within us, such as evangelism, prophecy, words of knowledge, helping others, service, and so on down the list. 

D. We were created in Christ to do Good works which He planned in advance for us to accomplish through Him. (I loved learning that I don't have to try to come up with things which will bring Him glory...they're already in His heart for me to fulfill!)

Q1.  (Matthew 5:14-16) In what sense are we the "light of the world"? What does it mean to let your light shine? What kinds of character and actions in a believer's life bring glory to the Father? Why were we created to do good works? (Ephesians 2:10)

1. "The righteous will shine like the sun...." (Matthew 13:43) When we do God’s will others can see the good in us which is God’s way of living. That is considered us having the light of God.

2. We are to let our light shine before others, so that they may see our good works and give glory to our Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16)

3. "Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us." (1 Peter 2:12)

4. "We are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." (Ephesians 2:10)

Q1. (Matthew 5:14-16)

Q. In what sense are we the "light of the world"?

A. We are the light of the world when we (Christians) do good deeds to others especially the needy/ poor. This provokes praise and thanksgiving  to God by the beneficiaries. Thus the 'light' generated  by the good works point the recipient to God.

Q. What does it mean to let your light shine?

A. See answer above (last sentence)

Q. What kinds of character and actions in a believer's life bring glory to the Father?

A. Goodly character, Christ-like character and action

Q. Why were we created to do good works? (Ephesians 2:10)

A. So that we will transmit God's glory to the world thus bringing glory to God.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 2:46 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Matthew 5:14-16) In what sense are we the “light of the world”? What does it mean to let your light shine? What kinds of character and actions in a believer’s life bring glory to the Father? Why were we created to do good works? (Ephesians 2:10)

We are the light of the world because God has given us of His Holy Spirit to live in us bringing His  light into a dark world.                                                                 

To let your light shine is to not live like the world but to let the Holy Spirit guide you and change you and displaying love, joy, peace and the fruits of the spirit before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."

Kinds of character and actions that bring glory to God is to be different than the world and displaying Christ like character and a spirit of giving, loving and caring.

We were created to do good works because "We are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Giving glory to God and winning others to Christ.

Q1.

The light come from God into our heart make us shine, because of that He changes our character to be like Him.

Sometimes we think we do it ourselves but only we forget we are children from God.

By the way God walks with us everywhere, only believe we are never alone.

John 15:8 This is my father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing your selves to be my disciples.

Just as the dead rock of the moon is only seen by the reflection of the sun upon it, Christ is seen in us as we die to ourselves and allow Him to shine through us by our faith. As we submit our lives to our Lord we can ask the Holy Spirit in us to transform our behavior to reflect Jesus through us. Our good works (which can only be accomplished by the power of God) show God's workmanship in our lives to this dark world.

If we live for Christ, we will glow like lights, showing others what Christ is like. We hide our light by (1) being quiet when we should speak, (2) going along with the crowd, (3) denying the light, (4) letting sin dim our light, (5) not explaining our light to others, or (6) ignoring the needs of others. Be a beacon of truth—don’t shut your light off from the rest of the world.

We become Christians through God’s unmerited favor, not as the result of any effort, ability, intelligent choice, or act of service on our part. However, out of gratitude for this free gift, we will seek to help and serve others with kindness, love, and gentleness, and not merely to please ourselves. While no action or work we do can help us obtain salvation, God’s intention is that our salvation will result in acts of service. We are not saved merely for our own benefit but to serve Christ and build up the church

We are God’s masterpiece (work of art, workmanship). Our salvation is something only God can do. It is his powerful, creative work in us. If God considers us his masterpieces, we dare not treat ourselves or others with disrespect or as inferior work.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2016 at 1:46 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

We are the of this world because the Ho;y Spirit dwells within us. By doing good deeds we bring glory to the Lord, which shows we are his disciples.

To let our light shine meaning we are to live lives like Christ and do his good works. This gives glory to the Father in heaven.

We were created to do good works because he had prepared us in advance to do these good works.

we are light of the world, because we show them the way to others who are in darkness, and the way is to the eternal life which is given by our Lord Jesus Christ, that we should tell them it is called the Gospel.

The light which is in us should shine so that the world will see, the good works that we do, that is our testamony by which our God get glory through our works.

Our actions and good character will bring glory to God like as said in Romans12:14-18,  Be practical in hospitality, bless those who persecute you, bless do not curse, rejoice with thosewho rejoice, mourn with those who mourn, live in harmony with everyone, do not be proud but be willing to be associated with people of low position, to speak of some, which bring glory to God through you.

God created us to do good works in this world by God and created everything that is good and he has arranged us to do this good works and spreading good news of salvation.

We are the "light of the world" when what we do represent Christ.  When wrong presents itself, we stand up for doing what is right.  Character of righteousness and behavior bring glory to the Father.  For us to do good works helps to glorify God, it also proves the goodness of God.

• 3 weeks later...

If we are honoring Jesus and not doing the things that the world is doing then we are the “light of the world” To let you light shine means we should be doing good works like Jesus has told us to do. The character and action that a believer’s life brings glory to the Father is the character and actions that Jesus himself would do. We were created to do good works so that we can show the world our faith in Jesus Christ.

• 1 month later...

SENSE "LIGHT OF THE WORLD" : Witnessing to others of Christ's transformation; giving the light to live as in our lives

LET LIGHT SHINE: Reflect derived glory from being with the Lord; Others to see our good works

CHARACTER & ACTIONS: When we worship, obey and serve the Lord; going to God first for all things; living according to the standard of the Word

CREATED TO DO GOOD WORKS: To bring and give glory to the Lord; others can see love in action; prepared by God to submit to him; being doers of the Word by our works; being the light of hope in the darkness; showing our priorities 

• 2 months later...
On 12/16/2016 at 11:46 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

We are the light of the world, because we are God's representatives.  We show God's light by ministering to others.  Currently with the hurricane and flooding in Texas, we have an excellent opportunity to show God's light by assisting those that are hurting in Texas and beyond.  We show grace to others, forgive actions of others and withhold our judgments.  We need to be available for the hurting.

• 11 months later...
On 12/16/2016 at 1:46 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Jesus said we are the light of the world.  A city that is set on a hill can not be hidden.  To let your light shine is to glorify our Heavenly Father by doing good deeds.  Do good and your whole body will be full of light, but and if your deeds are evil your whole body will be full of darkness.  The eyes are the light of the body.  Charity, do all of the Ten Commandments, be meek, gentle, love your enemies, bless those that curse you,  be kindhearted to all people, all of these things the Lord God loves.  We are God’s creation and He loves us.  Christ prays for us, and if we don’t do good works we are not glorifying God.

• 7 months later...

Q1. (Matthew 5:14-16) In what sense are we the "light of the world"? What does it mean to let your light shine? What kinds of character and actions in a believer's life bring glory to the Father? Why were we created to do good works? (Ephesians 2:10)

We are the 'light of the world' because Christ lives in us.  One time God showed me how peoples' words were always telling me that I was wrong for being who He created me to be.  God showed me my heart filled with high walls and darkness.  He showed me that every time someone said I was wrong for being who He created me to be, I had taken that word (stone) and put it in my heart and hisd behind it in shame and fear like Adam and Eve.  He told me that every time someone said I was wrong for being who He created me to be I was to reject that word and praise Him.  He told me to build Him a house of praise in my heart where the sun and moon wouldn't need to shine because He would be the light  that shines there.

After that God showed me a pure white peacock and told me that is how beautiful He sees me and all of His children because of one thing - the blood of Jesus.  He told me that we can't get any better than that.  God created us in His image and covered us with the blood of Jesus.  The one thing He said not to do was eat of the tree of knowledge which causes us not to believe what God says about us - that we are good nad blessed and instead believe the voice of the enemy which causes us to hide in shame and fear from God.  We then try to cover ourselves with fig leaves, but God requires blood.  We reign in life through the abundance of God's grace and gift of righteousness shown to us through Christ.  There was a picture of the white peacock standing under a tree on the front page of the newspaper.  The caption read, 'The Emerald Queen.'  The throne of God is described as an emerald.  It is in heaven.  Even while we were dead in our sins, God made us alive together with Christ and raised us up to sit with Him in heavenly places.  Our job is to believe God and build Him a house of praise in our hearts when the devil tells us we aren't good.  Easier said that done.  I like this ministry's name - Joyful Heart.  God wants to build His house in our hearts. 

• 4 years later...

We are the "light of the world" by firstly believing that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and through Him we have received the Holy Spirit who dwells in us. We must emulate Christ in doing good to all the people so that God the Father may be glorified.

As children of God, by letting our light shine, we must walk in obedience to the will of God. We must always show love to people and do good at all times even to strangers because we are all God's workmanship.

When we do good to other people and not take the glory to ourselves but give God all the glory and honour reflect on the character and actions of the believer because we acknowledge that we are not doing it for ourselves but for God. Even when Jesus had done all the miracles, He did not boast about that but gave the Father the glory including the time of His Crucifixion, Resurrection and Ascension. Jesus always glorified the Father.

We were created to do good works because we are made in the image of God. God loved us so much that He gave us His begotten Son and by so doing, He wanted us to know that He can do anything for us and therefore we must also do good to others and for others. We are His children and when we do good, our lives enhance God's reputation.