JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Harmony in the Church

Q1. (3:8-9) Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation? Which are most needed? What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your Church so it is more Christ-like?

I worship at a very real and authentic church. However we are all human and therefore struggle with issues like forgiveness and gossip.

As a whole the church has a run of sickness and emotional problems and through this we can see God moulding us as one family rather than a group of individuals.

The best way I can change my church is by letting God change me.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (3:8-9) Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation? Which are most needed? What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your Church so it is more Christ-like?

Love among church members is the most evident in our church. Members are compassionate with each other and are ready to lend a helping hand when someone needs it. We find it easy to help anybody even sometime beyond our means. Members are generous as evidenced by the fact that our church, even if we are an independent church, is the biggest in the city.

I think we need more prayer to be more humble. I know this can only be acquired by the power of the Holy Spirit. But, as we mature as Christians, and actively allow God to use us, He will change us to be more like Christ.

We are actively implementing the Encounter God Retreat as part of the G12 system of discipleship. Lives have been change and are continuously changing because of the encounter with God. Most members are spirit filled and actively handling cell groups. As for me, my relationship with God has improved so much after the Encounter God Retreat and most specially when I handled a cell group.

Our church is very sympathetic. The people are extremely unselfish and carry one another's burdens. I'm sure our church could benefit from a more hamonious atmoshpere...giving up what one wants for the benefit of all. "Purpose driven, not preference driven." To advance our church in this area, we can work toward our missions without complaint or concern for how the minor details are carried out that don't have an impact on the greater good.

• 1 month later...

Love as brothers, be compassionate, and humble. In our church, it is more about loving the lost and rejected into the kingdom.

I don't see anything in our church that is not Christ-like. Our pastors have such a love for the misguided, lost, and rejected and they always focus on where our worth comes from and that is Jesus Christ. So many people grow up carrying with them all the labels others (parents, teachers, bullies, etc.) have given them and that is where they find their worth and it keeps them from seeing the true worth that God has placed on them. This is not the only thing we learn at our church, but it is the biggest and, I think, the best part.

• 5 months later...

I think the ones that apply to my church are harmonyh and grudge-free. It is hard to live in harmony if feeling's are hurt and there is pain. It is hard for some people to forgive. And that is where satan have people in bondage. I think the most needed is compassion, humble, and full of God. We are praying and seeking God to help us to help the church family to be healed, to be set free, be more like Christ, the whole church to be united with his mind. To be Christ minded in all ways. We are reaching out to those in need.

In our congregation the qualities which come to the fore most are those of sympathy and affection among the older folk and then harmony and a tremendous amount love with the younger folk.Some times I feel that perhaps there is a need for more communication within the body.This is something I believe is symptomatic of the church as a whole where various groups tend to form their own inner identities.In our congregation we are aiming to set up more inter generational gatherings and functions.

• 7 months later...

Q1. (3:8-9) Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation?

I believe the most evidence in our congregation is being sympathetic.

Which are most needed?

I believe that loving as brothers is very important in any church for it seems that a lot of the love is missing in church along with humbling ourselves and being compassionate with one another.

What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your Church so it is more Christ-like?

It is important that we all work hard at showing that brotherly love to one another that they may see how great God's love is and want to draw closer to Him and be more Christ like as well.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (3:8-9)

Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation?

Which are most needed?

What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your Church so it is more Christ-like?

Most of the qualities mentioned are found, in varying degrees, in my congregation. There is harmony, and compassion for each other. Most people are humble and I

• 7 months later...

1 peter 3:8-9 " 8 Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. 9 Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.

My congregation is very much "love-one-another... and prayerful compassion and humble actions of compassion" there is so much love I can't explain it, I just wish other churches had it,...maybe they do? It starts and continues by oneself being loving and humble.

• 1 year later...

a)Sympathy with those hurting is evident most.

B)We need affection for each other as brothers & sisters.

C)Pray, seek to examine self, forgive others,encourage people to know each other better and show love more, Christ died for us all.

• 6 months later...

After a couple years, I recently left a large church with some problems.  Number one:  they value harmony/"peace"/no conflict so that everyone, no matter what they believe, will feel comfortable and loved, more than the truth of God revealed in the Bible.  All they ask any potential members  about or tell anyone about the church is their belief in Jesus as their Savior.     But we need both love and the truth of God,  and our harmony comes from that foundation or we are deceived and it will not last.

Within some small groups of people in this church, there is affection, sympathy, love, support, and  even a willingness to serve ... for a time.  But it doesn't extend to the majority outside the group.    Maybe this is true of humans and this church is just too big.  

• 1 month later...

I have found in all the churches I have attended through the years that very few congregation members practice the qualities Peter mentions in the above verses.  Most behave in the opposite.   People nod amen in church on Sundays and do the opposite or are careless as to their Christianity and associated ethics/behavior outside the church.

Most church attenders need to get saved and permit the Holy Spirit to operate in their lives and put into practice God's Word.  That would change the climate of most churches.

• 2 years later...

In 1 Peter 3: 8-9 the qualities most evident in our congregation is the harmony we have in fellowship. We are sympathetic to one another that are hurting and compassionate to them.

The quality probably most needed is being humble. To change this quality of humility it would be a good practice for us to show our love by helping those in our community that are most impoverished by the job losses in our area and of course help the homeless.  

• 6 months later...

Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation?  Sympathetic, love one another, compassionate.

Which are most needed?  Being like-minded and humble and especially repaying evil with evil.  Most of the congregation are acceptable but, unfortunately the actions of a few has a negative effect on the entire congregation.

What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your Church so it is more Christ-like?  Approach all things, positive and negative, with positive attitudes rebuking when needed but always with love and compassion rather than with anger and a mean spirit.  Changing attitudes is a slow, tedious process but well worth the effort in the end.

• 5 months later...

Q1. (3:8‐9) Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8‐9 are most evident in your congregation? Which are most needed? What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your church so it is more Christ‐like?

Live in harmony - being like‐minded, united in spirit

Be sympathetic - having compassion one of another

Love as brothers - having affection for an associate, having brotherly love, having mutual affection.

Be humble (NIV), “humble mind” (NRSV), “courteous”

Be compassionate (NIV), “be pitiful” (KJV), “a tender heart”

Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult – be grudge free.

Full of Blessing - “Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.” (3:9)

All of these qualities are evident within our congregation. As we grow in Christ and walk daily with Him these qualities grow richer and deeper. Of course no one is perfect – that is just the point “we need Him every hour”. He did not come for the good He came for the guilty.

As each one of us lives like this the blessing will spill out to others.

• 6 months later...

--We try in our congregation to display all of the qualities as Peter mentions.

-- A concern for the youth.

--Set the example. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2004 at 6:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The qualities Peter mentioned in 1 Peter 3:8-9 that are most evident in our congregation are:harmony, sympathetic, affectionate, compassionate humility and grudge free. The most needed are harmony, sympathetic, compassionate and humility. We must be a blessing to both friends and enemies because we are called to bless, this is the climate that can change the relational climate so it is more Christ like.

In our congregation, it seems to me that compassion, affection and sympathy are qualities that we see in our congregation. Humbleness, being   grudge free and humbleness are a problem.

As a group we could practice More Love, forgiving and working together in harmony.

(3:8-9) Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation? Which are most needed? What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your Church so it is more Christ-like?

The qualities that are most evident in my congregation is affectionate as brothers and sisters.  Yes, we have problems just like any other families. We come together in times of crisis just like any other family.  I can truly say that we show love to one another.  We practice most of the qualities that Peter mentioned, but if I had to pick one that is most needed I would say grudge-free.  We have had people to leave the church due to disagreements. To change the relational climate at my Church, we can continue to practice the qualities that Peter mentions in the scriptures.  End results is to be a blessing to one another.  

On 3/20/2004 at 6:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The qualities that Peter mentioned in 1 Peter 3:8-9 that are most evident in our congregation are: harmony, sympathetic, affectionate, compassionate humility and grudge free. The most needed qualities are: harmony, sympathetic, compassionate and humility. We must be a blessing to both friends and enemies because we are called to bless, this is the climate that can change the relational climate so it is more Christ like.

Harmonious, sympathetic, affectionate, compassionate, humble, grudge-free (forgiving),  full of blessing. Since my church is quite large, there are many different groups so we can get to know one another and interact i.e. home/hospital visits, praying for those who request to be put on weekly prayer list. There is also a prayer room and a prayer hotline for some who aren‘t in a group. Church goers are asked to participate in donating food and clothes for those in need. There are Bible study groups and an annual “garage sale.” My church offers much to persons in the congregation. All they have to do is reach out. I believe the small groups are the most needed, since they provide a sense of community. 

Q1. (3:8-9) 
Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation? 
Which are most needed? 

Most of the qualities mentioned are found, in varying degrees, in my congregation. There is harmony, and compassion for each other. Most people are humble and I’ve never heard of any quarrels at the church. 

I feel the most needed are love and less of selfishness and self-centeredness. There is a tendency to form cliques, but this is human nature. However, we must strive for unity – we are to live in harmony with each other. God desires that we grow continually into unity of faith, as well as unity in the knowledge of Jesus. It is only then that we will be mature Christians and become completely like Him (Eph 4:13). 

Me and my friends must guard that we are not found guilty of not displaying these qualities. We must love each other more irrespective of whether we like them or not. We must be sensitive to the needs and feelings of our brothers and sisters. Try to put others first by looking for opportunities to serve them. We are to focus on Jesus and try to emulate Him. 

I would say compassionate. I love my church and as the congregation is pretty big and there are various ministries, I couldn't possibly suggest that we are lacking in any one thing because I am not all knowing. However, I can say compassionate simply because as the body, the members of my church, including me, and those of the body outside of the church need to do a better job being outward focused. If we did that, there wouldn't be so much hate, disunity, and most importantly, we would be able to actually come together to help those who need it the most. I can ride through the streets of Philadelphia and pass by 10 1-15 churches within 1 mile. The opioid crisis is rising and so are the number of churches. How could there be such a direct proportion if in fact we were all one and had compassion in order to meet these needs instead of throwin up this church and that church and no one's needs get met.

Q1. (3:8-9) Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation? Which are most needed? What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your church so it is more Christ-like?

1. Sympathetic,love as brothers, harmony, and humble. 

2. They need to be enforced for stronger strength which will cause a better relationship with the church members.

3. All members need to be more concerned about the ones they are not as close to.We can be an example to others and express more love.