JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. The Holy Spirit

Q3. (John 14-16)

Q.What promises concerning the Paraclete -- Comforter -- Counselor -- Helper -- Holy Spirit does Jesus give in John chapters 14-16?

A. He is to  help, guide, counsel believers and interpret what the Father/ Son says. He also speaks directly to believers as regards what he hears  from God/ Son's messages

Q. How do these relate to guidance? To "hearing" God?

A. The role of the Holy Spirit as listed above enables us to communicate/ commune with God as he the Holy Spirit helps us to speak to God and helps us to hear from Him as we seek to listen to Him (God)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What promises concerning the Paraclete -- Comforter -- Counselor -- Helper -- Holy Spirit does Jesus give in John chapters 14-16?

That the Holy Spirit would become our internal counsellor, helper and friend. Jesus said "for He lives with you and will be in you" (John 14:17b).

How do these relate to guidance?

Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would become our internal guide and would instruct us of God’s ways.

To "hearing" God?

The Holy Spirit speaks to us through Father God.

On 11/29/2017 at 1:58 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (John 14-16) What promises concerning the Paraclete – Comforter – Counselor – Helper – Holy Spirit does Jesus give in John chapters 14-16? How do these relate to guidance? To “hearing” God?

What promises concerning the Paraclete – Comforter – Counselor – Helper – Holy Spirit does Jesus give in John chapters 14-16?

He promises the spirit of Truth, who shall come and testify and teach us all truth. As the Spirit declares only what He hears from the Father.

The Holy Spirit :
Guide disciples into the way of truth (John 16:13).
Teach the disciples (John 14:26).
Speak to the disciples what the Spirit hears from the Father (John 16:13a).
Declare to the disciples what is to come (John 16:13b).

How do these relate to guidance? To “hearing” God?

As we pray, we receive the pure directions and instructions from the Father through the Holy Spirit.

On 28/11/2017 at 7:58 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (John 14-16) What promises concerning the Paraclete – Comforter – Counselor – Helper – Holy Spirit does Jesus give in John chapters 14-16? How do these relate to guidance? To “hearing” God?

Jesus gives a number of promises in these Chapters. Basically that HE will send the Holy Spirit to them and they will receive the Spirit. We will hear God through the Spirit.and need to discern whether it is God speaking to us.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 12:58 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.) He will comfort us, abide with us forever, will be in us, will teach us, bring all things to remembrance, will guide us into all truth, speak what He hears, show us things to come. He is the Spirit of Truth.  b.) By being in us he will guide us into all truth, and teach us. c.) To hearing from God, He will speak what He hears and show us things to come.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (John 14-16) What promises concerning the Paraclete -- Comforter -- Counselor -- Helper -- Holy Spirit does Jesus give in John chapters 14-16? The Holy Spirit will replace Jesus as an interior presence, always with them, to Guide and instruct them. The Holy Spirit will be a Counselor, Advocate, Helper, Comforter and a Friend. “In short, the Holy Spirit is God’s presence to guide, help, lead, and counsel us. But when, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.” (John 16:13)

How do these relate to guidance? To "hearing" God?
Going to prepare a place for them will come back and take them to be with him where he will be. Jesus is the way and truth and the life. No-one comes to the father except through Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3.What promises concerning the Paraclete – Comforter – Counselor – Helper – Holy Spirit does Jesus give in John chapters 14-16? That he will send us one forever to be with us if/when we believe in Him. 

How do these relate to guidance? To “hearing” God? When we believe and are given the gift of the Holy Spirit we are guided through life by hearing God through the Holy Spirit. The Spirit is with us to help us along our journey.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Jesus promises to send the Holy Ghost to His apostles and He shall speak what God the Father and God the Son want Him to speak.  The Holy Ghost will reprove the world of sin, of righteousness, and of judgement.  Of sin because they did not believe Jesus, of righteousness because Jesus goes to the Father, and of judgment because the prince of this world is judged.  The Holy Ghost is also called the comforter because the Father tells Him what He wants His servants to do and He comforts them in times of need.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jesus promises his disciples that when he returns to the father, he will not leave them comfortless, that the Holy Spirit will be with them to guide them and lead them continually into all truth and holiness and that whatever they ask in his name of the father it will be given.  The same promise is given to all who follow and keep his commandments and walk in his word and are doing his will.  God speaks to us through the Holy Spirit and we know and hear his voice in our hearts as long as we have clean and sincere hearts.  Holy and righteous doing the will of the father.  The disciples did not understand that Jesus would be leaving and returning to the father leaving them to carry on the work which he taught them.  They were so distraught about him leaving that they failed to understand it's meaning.  Jesus prayed for them and assured them that he would be with them as well as the father so long as they believed and continued with the work and continued walking in the word.  He would leave a Comforter- a Counselor who would guide them to all truth even though he himself would not be with them in the flesh.  Our guidance is the Holy Spirit and we hear God through him.

• 3 months later...

Q3. (John 14-16) What promises concerning the Paraclete -- Comforter -- Counselor -- Helper -- Holy Spirit does Jesus give in John chapters 14-16? How do these relate to guidance? To "hearing" God?

This is like having Jesus not just alongside us but inside us. He can manifest Himself at any time and of course can can whisper from within us. It means we can have a conversation as we go about our daily life. In a quiet time we can sing, worship, pray in tongues as we let the Holy Spirit be in ascendancy in our lives from early each day.

• 1 month later...

Q3(John 14-16) What promises concerning the Paraclete – Comforter – Counselor – Helper – Holy Spirit does Jesus give in John chapters 14-16? How do these relate to guidance? To “hearing” God?

The Holy Spirit is His gift to us. When Jesus was about to leave them, He said, He will not leave them orphans but will send another comforter, helper just like Him. He is the Paraclete, who comes along side with every believer. Whereas in the Old Testament the Holy Spirit come upon people who held the offices of king, priest and prophet, now all believers have the privilege of having the Holy Spirit residing in them. He guides and instructs us in the way of truth. He teaches us and speaks to us what He hears from the Father and declares to us what is to come. 

Because He is in us and guides us, when He speaks to us we are hearing God. If we truly hear and obey Him, then it would be just like how Jesus lived on earth, a Son in whom the Father was well pleased. We are not as obedient as Jesus was, but we know our penalty is paid for and our sin is covered by the blood of Jesus. Not only is the provision for failure made through His blood, He also made provision for our success by giving us His Holy Spirit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (John 14-16) What promises concerning the Paraclete -- Comforter -- Counselor -- Helper -- Holy Spirit does Jesus give in John chapters 14-16? How do these relate to guidance? To "hearing" God?

Holy Spirt as promised by Jesus is a gift available to all who receives Jesus as Lord and Saviour. In fact, no one call Jesus as Lord unless Holy Spirit in Him convicts Him. The Comforter - Helper - Counselor - whom the Father will send will teach ALL things and bring into remembrance ALL things what Jesus said/taught while on the earth.

when the Holy Spirit teaches us All things and brings into remembrance at the right moments/ situations/circumstances, and when we obey we are in a sense doing what we hear from God at that moment. He will testify of Jesus to us.

He will guide us into ALL truth. He shall not speak of Himself, but whatever He hears (from God), He will speak and show all things to come. He will glorify Jesus. For whatever He receives from Jesus He will show to us.

if we love Him, and keep His words, The Father will love us and with Holy Spirt, He will come and dwell within us. He who loves Him hears the words of the Father. When we abide in Him, and He in us, we will be able to bear much fruit. For without Him, we can do nothing.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (John 14-16) What promises concerning the Paraclete – Comforter – Counselor – Helper – Holy Spirit does Jesus give in John chapters 14-16?

The promises that Jesus gives concerning the Holy Spirit are He will:

* Help us

* Be with us forever; live with us and be in us

The Father has sent the Holy Spirit in Jesus's name to:

* Teach us all things

* remind us of everything Jesus has said

* prove the world to be wrong about sin (because people do not believe in Jesus)

and righteousness (because 'I' am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer)

and judgement (because the prince of this world now stands condemned)

The Spirit of truth will:

* guide you in all truth

* not speak on his own, He will speak what he hears

* tell you what is yet to come

* glorify (Jesus) because it is from (Jesus) that He will receive what he will make known to you.

How do these relate to guidance? To “hearing” God?

These relate to guidance becasue they speak of the character the Person of the Holy Spirit has both what He will do, how He is led in relationship to the Father and and what he will do with and for us in the relationship.

So, we can gather from the promises Jesus gives us of the Holy Spirit that the Paraclete is the Person who comes along side us who is our advocate with God the Father, guiding us in what to pray for, how to pray and aligning our hearts and will to Gods as an interior presence.

• 3 months later...

The Holy Spirit shall live with you forever. He wil teach you all things. He’ll brings things that Jesus taught back to remembrance. He will guide you to the truth

• 6 months later...
On 11/29/2017 at 1:58 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Jesus promise to give us a advocate to help us and be with us forever and guide us. We can hear God through the holy spirit.

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 12:58 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The promise is that once we have accepted the love of Jesus, we have also accepted the love of God, the Holy Father. "Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them." Knowing this love will means God will give us the messenger of truth, which in this case is the Holy Spirit.  "But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."

Basically, if you love God, then you will live according to the principles that He puts before you;  truth, honesty and all things fair and just. And the Holy Spirit will be the "voice" and messenger that'll help us follow God's word.

But my question is; who is the "prince" in this reference here?  

"I will not say much more to you, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold over me,  31 but he comes so that the world may learn that I love the Father and do exactly what my Father has commanded me.“

• 5 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:58 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

In John 14 - 16, Jesus promises that the Holy Ghost (another Comforter) will be given, not only to be with the believer forever, but to be in him; He shall teach the believer all things; He shall remind him of all the things that he heard from the Master; He will testify of Jesus; He will reprove the world of sin, righteousness, and judgement; as the Spirit of truth, He will guide the believer into all truth; He will only speak what He hears; He will show things to come;  He will glorify Jesus, for He shall take what is Jesus' and reveal it to the believer.

When it comes to guidance, because He, the Holy Spirit, is in the believer, that believer is assured of his every step being guided into all truth, hearing only what He hears and being informed of what is to come.  He is our Counselor, our Helper and our Guide.

As to hearing God, The Holy Ghost will only tell the believer what He hears from God.

• 1 month later...

Jesus promised that He would send A Helper, The Holy Spirit to us.

The Holy Spirit will guide us in all truth about sin, being right with God, and judgement.

When we have the Holy Spirit in us, when we sin, He convicts us of our wrong doing, and brings us to repentance. The Spirit of adoption: Gives us the desire to want to do what's right in Our Fathers sight. The Holy Spirit gives us the comfort we need to endure our tests, trials, persecutions, and tribulations, as He brings scripture, Fathers Word, to rememberence. The Holy Spirit knows exactly what we need to mature in Christ Jesus, so that we become more like Christ. The Spirit continuously groans and intercedes for us in accordance with Our Fathers will for our lives.

We hear the Father through scripture and walking in the Holy Spirit, who proves The Word true. Through talking to and having conversations with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit speaks Fathers Mysteries through visions and dreams, and prophesies.

Love and blessing to you all..xx

• 8 months later...

One of the things that bothers me is this – why doesn’t God just speak more clearly? Why does he nudge? Hint?  Why not speak in a clear voice that’s understandable so I don’t have to worry I’m listening poorly, or not hearing Him at all?

The Paraclete, or Holy Spirit, is how Jesus ministers to me today. In the John 16 verse you cite, he promises to guide me into all truth, including future truths.

I just reread the John 14-16 scriptural assignment for this lesson. I know this is about hearing His voice, but I'm struck that He hears our voices and promises that whatever we ask in His name, "this I will do." I understand the principle of waiting and God's delay, but am troubled by all the things I have asked in His name that are not done. I have asked to have memories erased, painful ones -- they remain with me. Why? 

The Holy Spirit dwells in me if I love Jesus. (Do I love him adequately to receive the Holy Spirit, in His fullness ... I wonder). That's one clear message of this section of scripture. When the Holy Spirit is in me, he speaks (bears witness) -- which, in turn, causes me to speak. This isn't quite a dialogue, but at least we're both speaking. Do I hear His voice, though?

One of the ideas I find comforting in this passage is at the end, where Jesus says he will stop speaking in "figurative speech" and start speaking "plainly." This doesn't guarantee I'll hear His plain speech, but it does imply I'll hear and understand the words He says to me. Are these words that which is recorded in the Bible? Or is there more? Does God speak plainly to me in prayer?

I want -- I so desperately want -- God to whisper to me in plain speech as I pray.

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 11:58 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The Holy Spirit brings to my mind all He wants me to know and remember. That is a paraphrase but He is my Helper, truly. I believe God speaks through His Word, using the Holy Spirit. So nothing I hear from God will go against Bible teachings. If any words I hear do not line up with His Word, they are not from Him. Last week during a difficult time with a hostile elderly parent the Lord brought to my mind Ex. 14:14. Instantly I was comforted as He spoke these words to me and I could continue loving this person and see them as God sees them. 

Edited by Lutherwoman
Added content

• 11 months later...

Q3. (John 14-16)

What promises concerning the Paraclete -- Comforter -- Counselor -- Helper -- Holy Spirit does Jesus give in John chapters 14-16?

How do these relate to guidance?    Jesus said, "I  do exactly as the Father has commanded Me"

To "hearing" God?    I have revealed  to you everything that I have heard from My Father

14 v 17     .  .  .  He will remain with you continually and will be in you, 

14 v 26    .  .  .  He will represent Christ,  He will teach you all things,   He will help you remember everything that I have told you. 

15 v 26    .  .  .  He will testify and bear witness about Me.

16 v 7     .  .  .  He will be in close fellowship with you.

16 v 8     .  .  .  He will convict the world about the guilt of sin and the need for a Saviour, and about righteousness, and about judgement.  .  .  .

16 v 13    .  .  .  The Spirit of Truth will guide you into all the truth    .  .  .  He will speak whatever He hears from the Father    .  .  .    He will disclose to you what is to come [in the future]

16 v 14    .  .  .  He will glorify and honor Me, because He, the (Holy Spirit) will take from what is Mine and will disclose it to you.  

[My conquest is accomplished, My victory is abiding]

• 4 months later...

Jesus Christ promises us that He will sent the Holy Spirit from the Father who will live in us and us in Him. As Christ's disciples now, the Holy Spirit will guide us into all truth. He will speak to us not on His own authority but  what He hears from the Father, He will speak and declare greater things to come. He will teach us and enable us to do greater works than that done by Jesus Christ.

This relates to guidance because whatever the Father tells the Holy Spirit to do, He does and therefore as God's disciplines, we cannot do His work without listening the the teachings of the Holy Spirit in our lives. We always need to have a discerning spirit in order to clearly hear what the Holy Spirit tells us. We listen to God through His Word and also through messages from His servants but more importantly when we pray. The Holy Spirit dwells in us all the time and we in Him and will enable us to hear God's voice.