JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Encouraging Word

On 11/29/2017 at 2:06 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24) How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting? What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way?

It would have been like a Huge Hug from a Daddy, when God personally encourages him in those moments when he is hurting or afraid. It feels comforting, knowing we have our Father together with us, in all our trials and is going to move with us, side by side in all directions He is planning, and whatever may come, to stand calm and move forth as He is present.

I learn that God wants us to do what we are doing, and He knows our limitations, as soon as we break down or hurting, He does remind us that He is with us, and what we are doing is His will. That encouragement, even if it is failing us many times in our attempts to make things work, just by having God speak comforting words and remind us of His presence is oft so sweet, that we do not mind the storm at all. After all, he overcame the world.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 28/11/2017 at 8:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24) How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting? What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way?

Paul suffers terribly while in his ministry but never falters and keeps going. He feels elated and enthusiastic and it is interesting that he sees all the discouragements and 'the thorn in his flesh' as God's way of keeping him on track. I have had the same experience in my life and have often commented on it to my friends and family. I developed chronic asthma after smoking excessively from the ages of 17 to 23 years. I was told by a doctor to either stop smoking and live or continue and die. Having stopped then, I am now 75 years old and feeling good! I also developed diabetes 18 years ago and have had to be very careful what I eat. I have kept my weight steady during this time and have energy and generally feel elated as Paul did............

On 28/11/2017 at 8:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Paul heard God very clearly but we don't often hear Him as obviously as Paul did. I have had similiar experiences with my sicknesses - and this was God's way of speaking to me..

Like Paul moves in the palm of God's hand, the assurance, comfort and peace given at those words, means you are willing to keep going.  But also, the enjoyment of that personal relationship, that you are not doing life alone.  Also Paul must have had a sense of working and moving within God's greater plan.  It must have bolstered his sense of purpose.

God is present in our trouble, yet intimate.  In the sense that He is not just with us and in control, but personally initimate and involved in our experience of our circumstances.  He also knows our weaknesses and strengths, and stands ready to provide whatever we do not have.  He is at the same time, the director in our lives, as well as a character in the story of our lives.  He inside of us, lives out the story with us. God partners with us, for life.

How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting?

He feels loved and grows in confidence knowing God is always there when he needs Him, growing stronger in faith and in his reliance on God.

What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way?

He cares deeply for us. We are never alone. He loves us with a love we cannot begin to imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24) How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting? He feels his heart lifted up because he has heard from God. He feels uplifted. God’s voice encourages us, it provides comfort when we are anxious. It can also set us on the right path with a gentle rebuke. Encouragement to us when we are afraid and discouraged as he did to Paul on several occasions.

What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way? God keeps his promise. He shows up in his own time. When God is with you, he cannot forsake. God always has plans for us.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.)The reason Paul was able to go on preaching the Word after all he went through with the Jews and Pagans, the persecution, beatings, fears, torments, imprisonment, the thorn in the flesh., being attacked and threatened with being  killed was the encouragement of the Lord that he should pursue and speak the word with boldness and do not be silent because I am with you.  My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness and to take courage  He feels elated as He senses the Lord's presence, he knows that he is not alone, that God has this all in hand, and that God has a plan he is working out for the future. Paul's wounds may still be aching, but his heart is lifted up. He has heard from God. Finally, just before a shipwreck on his voyage to Rome, an angel brings him a word of assurance that he subsequently shares with the ship's crew:"Do not be afraid, Paul. You must stand trial before Caesar; and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you." (Acts 27:24)                                                          

b.) That God is an encourager, He is faithful and His will and purposes will be accomplished.

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 12:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

It greatly encourages him that God is aware of his fears and is hurting, for the Lord to speak encouragement to Paul shows the love God has for Paul.  That God is love and He knows what He’s doing He has everything planned out for His Triumph and Glory.  God cares about His servants and knows what kind of encouragement they need and when they need it.

On 11/28/2017 at 12:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

That God loves him and has plans for him. Jesus Christ makes Paul feel better when He says “My grace is sufficient for thee;for my strength is made perfect in weakness”, this had to make Paul feel better about his infirmities and it does.  That God knows just how to encourage, strengthen, and get his servants to follow through with His plans for them.

• 1 month later...

LESSON 2: QUESTION 2

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24) How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting? Paul, receives several words of encouragement from the Lord over the course of his ministry. They are memorable -- often short -- but they "provide him the assurance" that he needs at the time.

Words of Encouragement:

Paul Knowing his weakness and fear, God speaks to him in a night vision: "Do not be afraid; keep on speaking, do not be silent. For I am with you, and no one is going to attack and harm you, because I have many people in this city." (Acts 18:9-10)

Paul is afflicted with some kind of problem, "a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me" (2 Corinthians 12:7).
But then, God speaks to him a word, a sentence: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." (2 Corinthians 12:9a). Paul is profoundly moved by this, because God has taught him a wonderful truth: He is strong when he depends on God. The result is that Paul begins to exult in his weakness (2 Corinthians 12:10). His whole attitude has been changed by a personal word from God.

Paul has been attacked and falsely accused by the Jerusalem Pharisees, who plan to kill him. As he sits in the Roman barracks, beat up and discouraged, God's speaks to him: "The following night the Lord stood near Paul and said, 'Take courage! As you have testified about me in Jerusalem, so you must also testify in Rome.'" (Acts 23:11).

As Paul senses the Lord's presence, he knows that he is not alone, that God has this all in hand, and that God has a plan he is working out for the future. Paul's wounds may still be aching, but his heart is lifted up. He has heard from God.

Finally, just before a shipwreck on his voyage to Rome, an angel brings him a word of assurance that he subsequently shares with the ship's crew: "Do not be afraid, Paul. You must stand trial before Caesar; and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you." (Acts 27:24).

God is a very present help in times of need. He is the comforter and defender. He does not abandon or forsake us. He always provides a solution in the right time. His presence brings courage and assurance. He speaks in soft voice into our inner being and changes everything.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (2  COR12 :  9;    Acts  18: 9-10;  23: 11; 27: 24

Answers:

a}   Paul  the  apostle  no  doubt  was  afraid,  so   he  was  assured  by  the  Lord  in  a  vision  that  he  would  be  protected  from  harm,  no  matter  the  situation  the  Lord  said"  I  the  Lord  is with  thee  ,  so  fear  not.  This  personal  encouragement   from  the  Lord   would  have  relieved   Paul  of  his  fear. 

b}   The  manner  in  which  the  ever  loving  Lord  speaking   to  Paul  would  have  assured  him  that  he  the  Lord  will  be  with  him  in  person  so  he  will  not  come  to  any  harm  from  any  man.

If  we  turn  to  Matt. 24 :  35    we  will  see    the   written  Word   as  spoken  by  the  Lord  " Heaven  and  earth  shall  pass  away  but  not his  Word",  and  in  Deut. 32:  46, 47  all  believers  knows  that  the  Word  of  God  is  Spirit  and  Life.  -  (Praise  God  for  Jesus}.

• 3 months later...

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24) How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting? What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way?

That God hasn't forgotten him, that God can help him in each situation. God is going to give him strategy to go through this trial which is what God speaking gives him. It also shows God is committed to doing his mission with him, it is not Paul's mission , it is Christ's mission that Paul gets to partner with him.

that God is faithful and doesn't forsake you when you are in difficulty. God feels Paul's pain and fear with him, He understands, He goes through it with him. 

• 5 weeks later...

When Paul hears from God, he’s profoundly touched. For it’s  through God that we can do anything. When we realize that God is on our side, no matter what the circumstances around us, we rise up from ashes, so to speak. His grace is sufficient for us.

God is not distant from us and is desirous that we have a meaningful, intimate, and vulnerable relationship with Him.

• 3 weeks later...

2Cor12:9a - His grace is sufficient for us, God’s strength is made perfect in our weakness.

Acts 18:9-10,23:11,27:24 - God’s presence with Paul, not to be afraid and assurance of God’s protection. Be of good cheer, to be His witness in Rome just as in Jerusalem. God will lead Paul to Caesar and all who journeyed with Oaul will be safe and alive.

When Paul needed encouragement, direction, protection and assurance whenever he faced situation beyond he could manage, God was always there. Paul felt God’s strength in his weakness, he received boldness and assurance, at times direction and hope to be His strong witness before kings and priests. 

From this we know that God will never leave us alone even if we feel lonely. At the right moment, God steps in and makes His presence and assurance felt which makes a huge difference to face the same situation with increased faith, boldness and direction. Thanks be to God who leads us in His triumph.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 6:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I think that Paul must have felt great comfort to know that God personally was encoouranging him.  Having a personal interaction with God whilst feeling hurt, weak and alone.

We learn that God is a personal God that understands our individual needs and can and does meet those needs in the best way he sees fit to encourage and support us.

• 3 months later...

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24) How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting? 

Paul pobably is energized when God encourages him. The thoughts of his pain and fears don’t affect him as much or atall. We learn that God cares about His children and helps us because He doesn’t like it when He sees us in pain.

• 10 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24) How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting?

Paul feels uplifted and grateful because he now sees the he was never alone: God had it under control all along, and that He had a plan for Paul.

God is teaching Paul to learn to withstand pain and hardships and this in effect is the Lord's way of building strength and perseverance in his favored people. "Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

• 1 month later...

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24)

How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting?

I think the Apostle Paul felt closest to God having Him speak to him in times when he needed to hear from Him.

From the way God speaks to Paul we learn that since God is no respecter of persons, what He did for Paul He surely will do for me and you.

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 2:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I think Paul felt relief, reassured, his trust in God restored to its peak, and his confidence in who he was and whose he was resurfaced.  All his fears ebbed away and his hurts became bearable.

That God spoke to Paul in this way teaches us that God is not only concerned about our souls' salvation, but that He is also concerned  about our entire being.  He is concerned about the tiniest issue that we face.  He knows when one hair falls from our head.  We learn from this that God is very loving and gently cares for us in every situation.

• 1 month later...

Paul's problems, issues, weaknesses, to him, would have been a stumbling block, but for Father to personally encourage him would have given him the strength and courage to carry on the ministry.

Paul would have felt great joy and comfort, and reassured, knowing that regardless of his circumstances or what he thought of himself, Father still thought him capable.

Paul would have felt bold and fearless, as a servant of the Lord, knowing that no matter what trials he had to endure, Father was with him, every step of the way.

Father knows us all personally.

Father wants us to depend on Him for all our needs, for the strength to carry on in life and ministry.

If Father has appointed us an assignment, by His grace and power, we are able to complete it.

I recall a few months after I got saved I was still depressed, as I could not get to grips with the fact that I had just met Jesus and He did not take me with Him.

I sat in my bedroom crying out to Father telling Him that I cannot do this life on my own. I need help, a purpose, direction, and knowing that I could no longer kill myself, I was so angry that He left me here on earth.

Father answered my prayer.

The next day I met, spoke with, and fed 4 homeless people, by the time I got to the 5th I had nothing left to give. I was so distraught. I went home and cried out to Father, saying, if this is what You want me to do I need resources to do it. So Father showed me what to do.

In my weakness. I organised a praise and worship evening at church, to raise money for a homeless charity. I had known the founder of this charity for months before I got saved, as he use to attend the soup kitchen that I usually got invited to sing at, but at the time I didn't know he was trying to set up a homeless charity. I searched on line for a charity to raise funds for, the Lord showed me which one, and low and behold, this mans name came up as the founder. Our Father is so amazing. Praise the Lord.

I sold 120 tickets, the Church was at full capacity, with more wanting to attend. 120 mouths to feed a 2 course meal to, that I was cooking.

2 months leading up to the event, I organised a band, menu, program, people to come minister in song and word. It certainly took my mind off me and my issues. Thank you Father.

The morning of the event, it was as if I had woken from a dream and realised that it wasn't a dream at all. I felt like Paul walking on the water towards Jesus, all was well up until the point of me thinking how much food I had to cook to get it ready for 5pm that evening, to be the host of the evening, and minister in song, to make sure the food was served in time. I was about to sink, but then I remembered who was in control of it all. By my strength I would not have got to that day, never mind organise an event, in awareness of homelessness. I stood at my kitchen door and said "Holy Spirit, You got some cooking to do".

By the Grace of Our Merciful Heavenly Father, the night went exactly as He planned, many were blessed, His glory, strength, and power were magnified, and a substantial amount of money was raised for the homeless.

Not by my strength, but by Yours Father, may Your name be glorified forever. Amen.

Love and Blessings to you all..xx

• 3 months later...

Q2 When captivated by God who is Bigger than anything,  personally comforting Paul with His words of life,  I get a sense, that Paul wasn't aware of the pain, because God is more profound & satisfies beyond our present need. With God, I can do all things [ Thank You, as You are alway present, & You continue to help us grow to where we have been called. You always complete what You start and it will always be amazing,]

Paul is a good example of how God is close by, emphasizing that whatever the Problem, He is Sovereign for Paul and everyone of His children. Follow His directive word. 

• 4 months later...

I’m certain that at the very moment when his wounds were raw and pain severe, Paul was relieved to hear from God with His audible voice. God spoke to Paul about Paul’s own situation. Paul learned that the beating he had just endured was part of God’s plan: perhaps Paul could more easily accept the fact that God had allowed him be beaten and did not intervene to prevent that beating because it did, somehow, fit into a larger picture only God could see.

As often happens, I have problems with these passages. To say that God “personally encouraged” Paul makes God seem loving and concerned, but then again, I know God could easily have prevented Paul’s abuse at the hands of authorities. A sovereign God who permitted, if not condoned, Paul’s beatings, troubles me deeply. Although Paul’s beatings are a subset of the larger problem of theodicy, I still don’t understand how a good God would allow a man to be beaten who obviously was seeking His heart.

But, as to the topic, Paul did hear God’s voice at a time he desperately needed to hear from God. I like that God reminds Paul to be courageous and brave, and even tells him about the future. I wish God empathised with Paul’s pain and suffering, but at least God tells Paul to keep talking and promised to stick with Paul, and even, at one point promised that Paul would not be attacked or harmed.   

I’m so confused as to God’s nature. He’s both loving and callous. He plans wee details of the unfolding plan of Paul’s dramatic life, yet doesn’t intervene to prevent Paul's torture, murder and death. And, of course, the thorn remains stuck in Paul’s side … just as the chains fell off at midnight while he was in prison.

God does talk to Paul, probably when Paul was doubting God’s goodness (as I am). God didn’t leave him entirely. He spoke to Paul. In sentences. Presumably aloud.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24)

From 2 Cor 12:9a we learn that Paul accepts his condition so completely that he even can boast in his weakness, so that the power of Christ may enfold him or dwell  in him. 

Paul had been preaching in the synagogues and meeting with opposition and resistance from the Jews.  Then he went on to preach to the Gentiles.  In this setting he was encouraged in a vision to not be afraid but to go on speaking and not be silent.

One time when there was a dispute about Paul among the Pharisees and the Sadducees, the arguments were so heated that the troops were ordered to forcibly take Paul away from there and hide him in the barracks for protection.  There we find the Lord appearing to Paul that night and encouraging him and telling him that he would also witness about Him in Rome.

When Paul had been on the ship many days and there seemed no hope, an angel appeared to him and promised the lives of all on the ship would be saved, and  also said that he, Paul would still have to stand before Caesar.

I know what it does to me when I am encouraged, by a Word, in a dream, by a sentence, by a "nudge".  It is amazing. Makes you feel so elated.  Like you have winds in your sails yet again.  I can only imagine how Paul must have felt. Ready to tackle the problem at hand , yet again.  Put the fear behind him and courageously tackle the proverbial bull by his horns.

God is not distant but is a hands on God. He sees when help is needed but also sees what type of help is needed.  

He truly is the One and Only GOD.  And I get to be HIS child.   How awesome is that.