JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Partaking of Christ's Sufferings

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (4:13) When you meditate on the idea of partaking of or being a sharer in Christ's sufferings, what perspective does it give you on whatever persecution you may experience?

When mediating on the idea of partaking of our being a sharer in Christ suffering the perspective of that persecution brings about the awareness that I could lose my life for his shake. We must remember that persecution can arise anywhere, anytime and anyplace. There are people and religious groups that hate Christ and all who follow him.    

• 1 year later...

Q2. (4:13) When you meditate on the idea of partaking of or being a sharer in Christ's sufferings, what perspective does it give you on whatever persecution you may experience?

This is a very interesting perspective to grasp. Suffering is a topic that I tend to mentally block out.  However,  by meditating on these passages and considering the reality of our identification with Christ has amplified the following very precious realities:

a. Our example of humble suffering for the cause of Christ could possibly be a mechanism that brings others to know Him.

b. By sharing in His sufferings we are assured of an authoritative voice in His name. Ref John 15.20 (People obeyed Jesus teaching they will also obey us!)

c. Through suffering in Jesus name we become participants with Him.

d. There is the promise of overflowing Joy both as we suffer, and at His coming because we have shared this calling with Him.  

• 4 months later...

(4:13) When you meditate on the idea of partaking of or being a sharer in Christ's sufferings, what perspective does it give you on whatever persecution you may experience?

It would give me joy,knowing that i am doing it unto the Lord.

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2004 at 6:17 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Being a partaker or sharer of our Lord Jesus Christ's sufferings, its give a great honour and joy of standing alongside of my Lord and saviour Jesus Christ in suffering.

It is joy to give all for Christ.  Sharing in Christ's suffering & pain is an honor. God will provide all we need to go through suffering/persecution. Death is not as important as your witness.  It speaks loudly to those around you at the time.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2004 at 11:17 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Jesus told us that "the servant is not above the Master". As He suffered so will we. When I was a new believer years ago and my family was suffering catastrophic losses and humiliation, I cried out to Him one day, complaining that we had lost our home due to the economic downturn, and "we are homeless!" I heard in my spirit "I know child. Foxes have holes, birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man had no place to lay His head." I was shocked! "You were homeless Lord?" " I owned nothing but the seamless tunic my mother wove for Me." Then I said "But because we were evicted, the sheriff will come in the morning to make sure we have vacated our things! The neighbors will see...it will be so humiliating! "I know child. I was hung naked on a cross as a criminal  between two thieves for the world to see and to mock me"  That's when I learned that He has always gone before us in suffering ....He knows all too well, and understands what we are going through.  When we suffer for following our Lord, it's actually a privilege, and it's vindication that we are following Him well. The "silver lining" is that His love and comfort are constant, we are growing stronger in faith and character, we are being made an example to those around us of genuine faith "under fire"....somehow He is more visible in us when we are tested and tried and we have His reassuring promise that He will never give us more than we can bear, and that there will be an end to the trial.

Christ's sufferings - paying the cost for being faithful to the leading of God in his life - like the list of St. Paul's suffering, is completely foreign to me. I have been misunderstood, criticized, lied about, betrayed and yet I count it as nothing (which it is) - a momentary affliction. I press on. 

(4:13) When you meditate on the idea of partaking of or being a sharer in Christ's sufferings, what perspective does it give you on whatever persecution you may experience?

Although, I must say that I have not truly experienced the type of suffering that Christ suffered.  However, I feel that being a sharer in Christ's suffering gives me the perspective of closeness to God. I rejoice because I am privileged to share in Christ's suffering and his blessings.  My suffering for Christ is an opportunity for others to see the humility I display that can help bring about their salvation.  Just knowing that one day I will be with the Lord is enough for me to count it all joy.

On 4/12/2004 at 9:58 AM, Helen Spaulding said:

First of all, like anyone else, I would rather not suffer! But, Christ bore much more suffering that I ever could--and for me!! How can I dare shrink back from whatever suffering He knows will help to "grow" me in Him? <_<

So, I lean on Him, knowing He will be with me, supporting and loving me with His wonderful love! He says He will not put on us more than we can bear. Well, I know He knows how weak I am! Thank You, Lord, I don't have to carry it alone! He has promised to make the yoke "easy", and the burden "light"! With that promise, I can accept whatever suffering comes that He can use to further His kingdom. :)

What I am suffering pales in comparison to what Christ suffered on the cross. The simple fact that my own suffering allows me to grow in Him is indeed a privilege. I don't feel worthy of this yet I know that it is necessary for my growth spiritually. I just pray that I do not fail.

On 4/9/2004 at 6:17 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Being a partaker or sharer of our Lord Jesus Christ's sufferings, its gives us a great honour and joy of standing alongside of my Lord and saviour Jesus Christ in suffering.

When I really think quietly about what Christ suffered (willingly), I realize whatever I am going through (physically or emotionally), is minor. I feel very grateful for Christ's sacrifice. I had never considered that through my suffering, I am a sharer in Christ’s suffering. This gives me a whole new, fresh perspective to meditate on.  Thank you, Jesus, for Your sacrifice for me.

On 7/9/2017 at 8:20 AM, JanMary said:

1. Jesus told us that "the servant is not above the Master". As He suffered so will we. When I was a new believer years ago and my family was suffering catastrophic losses and humiliation, I cried out to Him one day, complaining that we had lost our home due to the economic downturn, and "we are homeless!" I heard in my spirit "I know child. Foxes have holes, birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man had no place to lay His head." I was shocked! "You were homeless Lord?" " I owned nothing but the seamless tunic my mother wove for Me." Then I said "But because we were evicted, the sheriff will come in the morning to make sure we have vacated our things! The neighbors will see...it will be so humiliating! "I know child. I was hung naked on a cross as a criminal  between two thieves for the world to see and to mock me"  That's when I learned that He has always gone before us in suffering ....He knows all too well, and understands what we are going through.  When we suffer for following our Lord, it's actually a privilege, and it's vindication that we are following Him well. The "silver lining" is that His love and comfort are constant, we are growing stronger in faith and character, we are being made an example to those around us of genuine faith "under fire"....somehow He is more visible in us when we are tested and tried and we have His reassuring promise that He will never give us more than we can bear, and that there will be an end to the trial.

Thanks for sharing that JanMary. It is a powerful answer to Ps Ralph's question.
There is a rainbow at the end of the storm.

Q2. (4:13) When you meditate on the idea of partaking of or being a sharer in Christ's sufferings, what perspective does it give you on whatever persecution you may experience?

1. I should rejoice to the fact that I am able to participate in the sufferings of Christ, and be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. I should be glad to experience joy when I am suffering for Christ. I am to rejoice in a state of happiness and well-being.

I am honored to stand along side of Christ in suffering.

Q2. (4:13) 
When you meditate on the idea of partaking of or being a sharer in Christ's sufferings, what perspective does it give you on whatever persecution you may experience?

I feel we are not to question God, and look negatively upon sufferings. He is in control and everything He allows is done for a purpose. He may be perfecting me, or testing my faith; but I know that when I’ve been tested and gone through hard times, I’ve drawn much closer to my Lord. Jesus identifies with His people; when they suffer He suffers. I’m just so grateful that I did not have to suffer the same that our Lord went through – and to think He did it all for me, and you! 

What a great honor to be a partner with Christ in suffering!

One should be joyful, in a humble way, to suffer for Christ.  Enduring any suffering on Christ’s behalf shows our commitment to our calling to serve the Lord, teaching about Christ who died for us.  Our suffering indicates our place at the side of God in His eternal kingdom.  God is always by our side in our suffering.  It shows our victory over the evil in the world.  It makes us identify more with Christ’s sufferings and makes us a partner with Christ in His sufferings.  It also strengthens our character and endurance in the fight to proclaim God our Savior.

What a great honor to be a partner with Christ in suffering!

One should be joyful, in a humble way, to suffer for Christ.  Enduring any suffering on Christ’s behalf shows our commitment to our calling to serve the Lord, teaching about Christ who died for us.  Our suffering indicates our place at the side of God in His eternal kingdom.  It shows our victory over the evil in the world.  It makes us identify more with Christ’s sufferings and makes us a partner with Christ in His sufferings.  It also strengthens our character and endurance in the fight to proclaim God our Savior.

When I meditate on the idea of partaking in Christ's sufferings, it brings me comfort in that this is only temporary, compared to the reward awaiting me in heaven: Eternal life in God's presence. People will know that I am willing to suffer for Christ and maybe this will move them to search for answers and in the process find Jesus,  Also, this makes me know that I am doing something right in order to receive such persecution.

• 2 weeks later...

it seems, according to Peter, that when we suffer for Christ then we experience the sharing of the experience of suffering with Christ as we fight against the devilp

A. When I recognize that persecution that comes upon me is for the reason that I am a Christian, this will motivate me stand firm and go through it by the power of God Almighty because I am sharing in the persecution that was meted out on Christ himself

This lesson from 1.Peter  is very important to improve my faith.

With Meditation to pray in Christs sufferings help me to know Holy Spirit open my perspectives from persecution in my life only Jesus my Rescuer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2004 at 2:17 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

I understand that if they did it to Our Savior they will do the same to me. "Then he said to the disciples, "Anyone who accepts your message is also accepting me. And anyone who rejects you is rejecting me. And anyone who rejects me is rejecting God, who sent me." (Luke 10:16)

On 4/9/2004 at 1:17 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

As being a partaker in the suffering for Christ can only show our faith in him and would perhaps lead others to Christ.

• 6 years later...

This doesn’t make sense. When we think about Christ’s death on the cross, we consider it something He did for us, an act so God-like that we can only stand in awe. Christ’s death on the cross gives us unmerited, undeserved, barely understood, completely God-gracious salvation. The point is that His act stands outside of history, though also in it, as something we can’t imagine or participate in.

But, these verses suggest that in this life we’re to participate in this one aspect of his cross – his suffering. Why would God want us to share in His suffering as He completes a completely unmerited act of love for us?

I would hope that our suffering doesn’t somehow earn us points in His kingdom, but this is how it sounds to me. I know that medieval Christians often glorified His suffering – even today, the Orthodox and Roman Catholic crosses have the suffering, dying Christ on it; the Protestant cross is empty. As Christians, we can choose to focus on His suffering or on His glorious ascension. I know that I want to live in the light of his resurrection, not his suffering and pain. 

I can’t help but think that this is an ex post facto attempt by Peter to explain why Christians were suffering. He has turned suffering into a godly act, not a horrible thing that happens to people even people of faith. As someone who has suffered greatly, I must say that I’d do anything to be relieved of the pain and consequences of some of the choices I have made. I’m tired of suffering. I want His relief. But these verses don’t promise relief. They only promise more and more suffering with the benefit of partaking in His suffering.