JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. A Healthy Willingness to Die

Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution. What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus? What does this have to do with "commiting ourselves to a faithful Creator"?

A willingness to die is essential during persecution because this will keep us from compromising and short-changing your faith. When we are willing to die we make decisions which compromise our Christianity and belief in God. When we are afraid to take up our Cross it also sends the message to the world that we do not have enough faith in God to protect us in this life or to ensure eternal life. We must be commited to God as our faithful Creator knowing that in every situation He is faithful to His Word and His promise but we must obey. Our duty is to commit our way to God and allow Him to deal with the rest even being with us in our time of persecution.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4a)Our willingness to die, is essential to demonstrating to self &others that we are totally trusting the Lord to save us, and not rely on our own self-will power, but giving,submitting all feelings thoughts,actions to His leading through HS. B)When we aren’t willing to die, are a sinner,unholy, we are holding back allowing human fears,doubts,feelings about our faith, God’s power,plans for future to triumph over sin of persecution.c)It is totally about committing ourselves to ignore human flesh thoughts &seek to live for God by our actions,&thinking trusting Jesus,as he has secure the victory for us.

4a)Our willingness to die, is essential to demonstrating to self &others that we are totally trusting the Lord to save us, and not rely on our own self-will power, but giving,submitting all feelings thoughts,actions to His leading through HS.

B)When we aren’t willing to die, are a sinner,unholy, we are holding back allowing human fears,doubts,feelings about our faith, to rule, rather than allowing God’s power,plans for future to triumph over sin of persecution.

c)It is totally about committing ourselves to seek to live for God in our thoughts and actions, resisting human flesh thoughts and trusting Jesus,as he has secure the victory for us. If we don’t we are not obedient to his word.

• 6 months later...

We must be willing to die for Christ  when we are persecuted, or we will deny Christ and the Father and the Holy Spirit in order to avoid any kind of suffering, not just execution, when we are threatened.

To prepare ourselves now for any kind of persecution we may experience in the future, every day we must entrust ourselves to God and ask for His power to enable us to endure terrifying, excruciating suffering and death for believing in Jesus and to enable us to remain faithful to Jesus through the end, through the death of this physical body.

We also need to ask Him to help us remain faithful to Jesus and obedient to Him through prosperous times so that

- -we will honor and glorify Him when all is going well in our earthly lives,

- -our faith will be true and strong,

- -our relationship with Jesus will be intimated and committed, and

- -we will have the faith in Jesus and the relationship with Him that we will need in order to endure persecution. 

We should not think that we will suddenly change and become faithful believers in Jesus when persecution comes, and so, we may now in the good times, act however we wish, even doing what we know is sinful and evil.

I read a warning from the Persecuted Church, from long-persecuted pastors in China and Romania, about the good times:  They report that when the Christians experienced severe persecution, they clung to Christ and remained faithful to Him,  but when the times changed and they became prosperous [in Romania when the Communists were overthrown, in China when the younger people migrated to the cities where life was "easier" than in the small villages and the countryside] ,  they were enticed by the lack of severe suffering and let go of Christ, still thinking they were Christians but no longer focussing on Him and no longer willing to sufffer and die for Him. 

It seems that persecution benefits our faith in Christ. 

• 1 month later...

Q4. Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution. What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus? What does this have to do with "commiting ourselves to a faithful Creator"?          

A willingness to die for Jesus Christ if need be is an acknowledgment that life in this world is not the end all be all.  It is a stand against Satan and all this world represents.  If death is necessary,  it is a part of our witness as believers in the Way, the truth, and the life -- Jesus Christ.  Satan and the world needs to see that evil and rebellion doesn't capture and bully everyone.

The world makes death a horrifying event because it has no awareness or insight into the greater reality of God Almighty Maker of Heaven and Earth.  The giver of life and death.  The world has no insight into the nature of sin and humanity and judgment and eternity. Life is everything, to die is dreadful.  There is no joy in death but sorrow.  The Christian knows to dead on many levels is to live and to live eternally with God. 

To willingly die for Jesus Christ is the greatest honor and witness there is for the world to see. 

• 2 years later...

Q4. Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution. What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus? What does this have to do with "commiting ourselves to a faithful Creator"?

Being a Christian and willing to die for our faith in Christ is important because it shows we are willing to suffer as he did and it shows our trust and perseverance in the faith in Christ.

When we are afraid to die for Christ it shows our fear and selfish attitude for ourselves. We must trust Christ and continue in doing his will. 

By following Christ and our Heavenly Father the creator of all things, shows our faithfulness in him and his faithfulness to and for us. We must continue doing his will and take up our cross and follow him if we are true believers.    

• 1 year later...

Q4. Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution. What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus? What does this have to do with "committing ourselves to a faithful Creator"?
 It is no longer I who lives but Christ who lives in me.  We should be willing to take up our cross (a symbol of death) and to die daily in regard to our own will and plans. This involves a day by day:

a. Committing ourselves unreservedly  to our faithful Creator

b. Being willing to suffer according to God’s will.

c. Continuing to do good – smile and let the light of Christ shine through our submitted lives.

• 4 months later...

---Because we will get the strength we need in the situation from  the lord.

--We are perceived to be cowardly,and wavering in faith.

--We have to commit ourselves in all areas of our lives. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2004 at 6:18 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Willingness to die is a sign of total commitment to Jesus Christ and faithfulness to our creator. If we aren't willing to simply mean we are denying Jesus Christ as our Lord and saviour, its have many things to do with our commitment to our faithful creator because we deny Him .

it should be our joy to serve Christ even to death if need be. 

not willing to die--lack of joy in the Lord and lack of obedience to His Word.

we need to be fully committed to God.  Not everything is easy to obey, but when you do, you find He is enough--just what you need.  He wouldn't ask us to do something He had not prepared us to do......

This is not a criticism about the question it is a statement about being alive: This is a non sequitur! To be living is to be dying. E.V. Hill is said to have used a word repetitively - Temporary - as he held out his hands and went around the building/congregation. We are temporary and each day are embracing the temporary or embracing Christ - the eternal and our eternity with Christ. My favorite words on the subject: Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. (Romans 5:1–5)

On 4/9/2004 at 4:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Dear Lord, I know that You are with me even when I fail. My pride gets in the way at times and I fail to focus on You and others, giving a foothold to our enemy Satan. Thank You Lord that You make me strong through my faith in You and are able to lead me through persecution to become a healthier and better Christian. When emotions flow through our minds it is sometimes difficult to remember who we are in Christ -- not to react in pride or indignation, but to respond in love as You Jesus. thank You that You are a patient teacher Holy Spirit.

Lord, help us overcome our fears of failure and rejection, for You have had victory over sin and death. You have won the battle over Satan. What is there to fear? Thank You Lord that You are able to transform our minds, when we seek You with earnest cries -- so that, in moments of battle, You can help us change so that we respond as You would -- a moment, like a twinkling of an eye -- a miraculous transformation. Thank You Lord.

Lord, You are the Creator of all we see, hear and feel. You are! You are love. Jesus, You died for us, that we would know You and be comforted and taught by Your Holy Spirit. I see in my mind's eye Stephen seeing You stand up from Your throne, at the right hand side of God the Father, knowing all is good; his circumstance being or an eternal good and that he was loved. A love like no other we can imagine. Jesus, You felt such compassion for Stephen but knew that this was to be, as You knew when You carried that cross to the hill at Calvary. Stephen knew at that moment too and like You, cried out to our Father to forgive his tormentors. What faith did Stephen have then?  Can we commit ourselves to a faithful Creator? Yes we can! God willing, by His grace and mercy. 

Q4. 
Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution? 
What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus? 
What does this have to do with "committing ourselves to a faithful Creator"?

Our natural tendency is to save our lives by our own selfish existence. We may have all the comforts, pleasures and luxuries of modern living. Yet with all this we can still lose our lives, that is, we can miss the true purpose of life and the intense spiritual pleasure that should go with it! People think us mad if we first seek the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and yield unreservedly to Him, before our own selfish ambitions. But it is this life of abandonment that is genuine living, with a joy, and a deep inward satisfaction that defies description. This would mean denying ourselves and taking up our cross. To deny self means willingly to recognize His lordship in every area of our life, and finding a reason for our existence. We instinctively recoil from a life of cross-bearing. Our minds are reluctant to believe that this could be God's will for us. Yet the words of Christ “If anyone desires to come after Me” mean that nobody is excused and nobody is excepted. We have to remember He is our creator, and as such are the objects of His love and care. It is only reasonable that we should entrust ourselves to the One who made our souls and who saved them.

On 4/9/2004 at 6:18 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Willingness to die is a sign of total commitment to Jesus Christ and faithfulness to our creator. If we aren't willing to die for Jesus Christ it's simply mean we are denying Jesus Christ as our Lord and saviour, its have many things to do with our commitment and our faithful creator because we deny Him .

On 4/10/2004 at 7:15 PM, kas said:

Because if we don't willingly die for Christ, we're being selfish not selfless. Selfishness is not the message of His gospel. When we don't take up our cross daily, I believe we're rejecting obedience to God's will. We won't grow and we'll continually be on milk and possibly lose our salvation if we resist Him long enough. If we commit ourselves, that means we are willing to live in obedience to His will. Although the flesh is weak and the spirit is willing we must overcome the flesh and die to it. It's hard. I know I give in to the flesh. I'm not as obedient as I would like to think I am. I pray daily for strength to die to sin.

Not willing to take up our cross means that we are giving in to fear and this is the exact opposite of trusting and putting our faith in Him. It is easier to say no to something that could hurt us but bring reward spiritually than it is to go all in. Fighting for the underpriviliged and marginalized. Advocating for homeless and orphans. When we do this, we are fighting for those who don't have a voice but if we do it too long people may look at us strangely or discriminate or not see our heart and stop the good works. But push forward because God sees.

Willingness to die is essential to healthy Christianity since it sustains our faith and strengthens us in spreading God’s word.  Persecution should make us joyful, blessed and indeed filled with the Holy Spirit since we are converting lost souls to our Lord and Savior.

If we aren’t willing to die, or take up our cross daily, we cannot identify with Jesus and His suffering and therefore cannot be a part of God’s eternal kingdom. “Blessed are those who were persecuted for my sake, theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” 

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2004 at 11:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. My first thought when I read this question, was that after I received Jesus as my Lord and Savior and was baptized, that was a manifestation of having died with Christ and when I came up out of the water I was raised to new life in Him.  My will dies daily as I surrender it to the Lordship of Jesus to live out His will and purpose for me each day, rather than my own wishes. If I truly believe that I have already died with Him, then dying for persecution is His way of taking me home to glory in His timing. His will, not my own is the way He calls us to live. To fear death or shrink from it will keep us from glorifying Him in all things. And isn't that what we all want at our core?

2. If we live contrary to the above, we shun our Jesus, preferring our life and its' temporary pleasures to glorifying Him and having the privilege of "testifying, even unto death" our love for Him. As I watched the video of the Egyptian Christians lined up on their knees in their orange jump suits with Isis murderers wielding their swords behind them, I wondered what those men were thinking and feeling. I saw no fear or tears on their faces. I wondered how I would behave if faced with this kind of death, and prayed that whatever way He choses to take me home, I will not make Him ashamed. His Word says no one can snatch us out of His hands, not Satan nor terrorists, nor car accident, nor illness. Our days were all written in His book before time began (Psalm 139), and our death date is known only to Him. So I must trust Him in this as in all things. When Peter questioned Jesus about how John would die, Jesus said in essence "what is that to you? Take up your cross and follow Me", telling Peter he too would be crucified...Jesus also said in John 12:26 If anyone serves Me, he must continue to follow Me, to cleave steadfastly to Me, conform to wholly, to My example in living and IF NEED BE IN DYING...

3 .To me it means that He is God, Sovereign over ALL, and He has called me to walk with Him in trust and faith. (Not that it's always pleasant, or without fear and trembling at times) His "marching orders to me were: " Feed on Me, Rest in Me, Abide in Me".....so wherever that leads...even unto death. He has always been faithful to me....my prayer is that I will be faithful to Him as I rely on Holy Spirit's strength to face each day, wherever He leads.

This is evidence that we have fully surrendered our lives to God and have died to ourselves. The flesh is only concerned about itself, how to benefit itself. Therefore, in willing to die for Jesus, we are renouncing ourselves and placing God over everything. On the other hand, if we aren't willing to die for Christ, we have not surrendered all to him, as He has asked us to. We are letting God know that it is us sitting in the throne of our lives and not Him. We are not committed to Christ. We have much to lose, for Jesus said " For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it".

The willingness to die is essential to healthy Christianity because we know that this is not the end. We know that we are going to heaven and there is nothing on this earth that can stop that. When we aren’t willing to die and follow Jesus then we are becoming more like this evil world. We are “committed” to our savior because we know that he is the way to heaven.

Healthy Christianity during persecution means that we are willing to give our all because of our belief in our salvation earned for us by Jesus Christ. We are to find joy in our suffering. 

“Joy is not necessarily the absence of suffering, it is the presence of God.” ~ Sam Storms

Through consistent actions through faith, we show commitment to our Creator and our recognition of His love.

Q4. Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution? What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus? What does this have to do with "committing ourselves to a faithful Creator"?

1.  It is God's will that we suffer persecution and reviling at the present. We must deny ourselves and put on the whole armor of God. God is trustworthy, we must trust him -- even when persecution is raging around us. Even when our lives our threatened. We must continue to trust him fully -- commit our cause to him completely.

2.  We will be judged as a sinner and hell will be our home.

3.  Those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good." (4:19) We have to trust our life fully to God. We must trust God and continue to do what he has called us to do -- good works. We must keep in mind that persecution is designed to refine us and teach us what is really important in life, not to debilitate us.

a willingness to die is important to a Christian during persecution because loving God and Jesus Christ in such a fashion that we are willing to die for their name indicates that we will be able to face  death for Christ in a much more willing fashion then if we don't.

when we are not willing to die for Jesus then it means that our lives are on this Earth are much more important to us then our relationship with God in eternity. During times of persecution we are able to face the penalty of death much easier if we love God and are anticipating and eternal relationship with him forever.

Q4. Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution? What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus? What does this have to do with "committing ourselves to a faithful Creator"?

Q. Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution?

A. It is a privilege to suffer for Christ; we will receive a reward for standing firm to the end

Q. What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus?

A. We wont experience growth that leads to maturity

Q. What does this have to do with "committing ourselves to a faithful Creator"?

A. Only by committing our selves to God will ensure our success as we cannot do it by our own strength.

We deside to follow Jesus, our life  and die in HIS Hand, let HIM come and  praise HIS Name.

From HIS suffering make us only trust HIM all of our heart cause He has plan for us.

Do not Forget to do the good for Gods will.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2004 at 2:18 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

A willingness to die, if need be, is essential to healthy Christianity during persecution because it is a witness to Christ and we are divorced from the world.  When we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus, we are not in the will of God, we have not fully put our trust in God.   To face persecution on this level means that we have fully committed ourselves to Him, to a faithful Creator"?