JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Day 1. Throne Room

Pastor Ralph

Day 1 Meditation (Revelation 4; 5:6). Why is everyone around the throne worshipping? Why are they chanting and singing? Why do you think that we get bored with worship after a few minutes? What does that indicate about our hearts? What can we do to change this?

Those worshipping have found God in their hearts. That is what Jesus came here to do, for us to find the God that is in all of our hearts. Too many times we look to external things to make us whole but the only thing we need to be happy and whole is to find God in our hearts and follow him. 

God loves us to sing to him and/or praises. By chanting and singing they remove outside influences and allow the ability to focus on God and God alone for pure praises. This is what God wants from us, pure praise without hesitation, from our heart not our mind. 

Humans have a very short attention span and it is in our nature for our minds to wander. In many ways we have a mild case of ADD when it comes time to worship and pray. Some are better than others but like anything it takes practice. More importantly after praying is to be still and quiet to hear God's answers but many of us are too busy to take the time to hear God. That's part of the personal relationship with Jesus is listening to what He says and take it to heart. Relationships require a two way conversation, otherwise all we're doing is talking. When I listen to a sermon, God at the same time talks to me and tells me the message that I need to hear from Him that he has inspired the pastor to say. But if we get past our humanness and listen to our hearts more instead of our minds we can get past the boredom. 

Our hearts are hardened from having to deal with life in today's society. By praying and listening to God, in time, our hearts eventually soften. It's like our lungs are soft on the inside to absorb oxygen for us to live. Many lung diseases cause our lungs to lose that softness or ability to absorb oxygen and suffer from shortness of breath or death. In many ways that's what hardened hearts do, don't allow God to come in or in very limited amounts. Which is why many live very frustrated conflicted lives because we only allow some of God's awesomeness into our hearts which conflicts with the other sinner side of us. 

So what's the answer? I have found praying my thoughts to God then meditate on His answers has resulted in such a profound change in my life, its amazing. It doesn't happen overnight and many many times I want to give up the meditation to go do something that is on my mind that I need to do because I am not very disciplined and it seems I can always think of something I should be doing instead. It's not easy and I think many want the easy way out but anything fulfilling takes work but the reward of this work is beyond comprehension. Having God in my life has so totally changed all aspects of it, it's simply amazing. The joy, peace, and serenity that God provides for me everyday, He hears me, He touches my heart and has changed my life like I had no concept that could be done. 

On 5/15/2020 at 7:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day 1 Meditation (Revelation 4; 5:6). Why is everyone around the throne worshipping? Why are they chanting and singing? Why do you think that we get bored with worship after a few minutes? What does that indicate about our hearts? What can we do to change this?

All creations are the work of His hand, including man-Isaiah 64:8. Then, who can stand before Him and resist not to worship him being in His presence-all those sacred revelations though not like the Israelite who trembled before Him as they listened His voice in the wilderness, which was on earth and they were with their sinful nature in flesh not in spirit. Who resists singing and keeps quiet in His presence? I feel that God's glory fills every one in reverence and joy. That we also feel here on earth clothed with our flesh when the holy spirit engulfs us in our prayers and worship. If His presence on earth fills us with joy and reverence, what it is like to be with Him and not revere Him. That is why on the contrary we feel bored and experience short lived prayer, worship and relationship with God, our Maker and Father as Isaiah 64:8 said, when we get abscessed with our earthly things lifting our eyes from Him, chasing away the Holy Spirit, until we feel drowned as we walk, as Peter did-lifting his eyes from Jesus while walking on the sea and saw the fierce wind/tide-Mathew 14:30. Let we always see Him, always sanctified by the blood of the lamb in reverence and thirst of the holy Spirit who immerses us into true worship and singing. God help us. In Jesus name I pray, Amen!

Edited by Menberu Adane
Spelling and Capitalizing plus sentence editing.

I just think that being around Jesus face to face we will not be able to not sing and worship Him in all his glory.  Don't you feel this urge when you are with your brothers and sisters and singing about how great the Lord is and what He has done for us.  I can only imagine, as the song goes, what it will be like on the day I stand before Him.  I don't think we will be able to be quiet.  My heart is full just thinking of that day. 

To see Jesus in all His glory - how could we not worship our victorious risen Lord?  That which we have believed by faith is now reality.  The pressures and responsibilities of the everyday press in on us and if allowed to, steal our joy and dull our vision of the wonder and majesty of God.  The reality of the LIving Presence of God in our daily lives should excite us to worship.  Oh to see HIm!!  

On 5/15/2020 at 9:21 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day 1 Meditation (Revelation 4; 5:6).

Why is everyone around the throne worshipping?

• Jesus, as the Lamb, made the perfect sacrifice for all of mankind by giving his life, and is now the conquering Lord, deserving of all of our worship and praise

Why are they chanting and singing?

• It is the least they can do, and because He is worthy of my singing, thoughts, chants, meditations, etc.

Why do you think that we get bored with worship after a few minutes?

• They have a limited perspective of who Jesus is, and fail to see and remember Him as the Lamb who took away all their sins

What does that indicate about our hearts?

• If I can't worship, it is growing dull

What can we do to change this?

• Ask God to keep a fresh perspective of the Lamb before my eyes on a consistent basis
  • Have an active study in His word, sing, worship, never forget what He's done for me

In the Presence of Jesus, seeing Him face to face, the automatic response is praise and worship. In His Presence they're singing and chanting because that's the only way to verbally express the awe they feel. I  think others grow bored after a few minutes of worship because they're not in His Presence. They're just going through the motions, not really worshipping. 

On 5/15/2020 at 9:21 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. Why is everyone around the throne worshipping?

They are living in the very presence of God of all creation....They are doing what they were created for, and are giving voice to their awe and joy for His Triumph and victory, giving Him glory and honor and praise. They are no longer preoccupied with themselves or anything else,  and  are no longer being harassed by our enemy with his attacks and distractions, so they are now totally free to focus their praise completely on our glorious and magnificent, Holy, perfect, loving God.

2. Why are they chanting and singing?

Singing is one of the highest expressions of worship and their voices are expressing their wonder and praise of our Holy and awesome Creator. Their trials are over and they are finally at home and with their hearts desire. I think they are speechless surrounded by His glory, and can only sing and repeat Holy Holy Holy!

3.Why do you think that we get bored with worship after a few minutes?

If worship is just getting a "check mark in the box" or a duty to perform, or a ritual as part of a church service, there isn't much joy or inspiration in that. In order to be thrilled in worship we must enter into His presence in our spirit, with a heart filled with joy and gratitude for all that He means to us, for all that He has done for us. Maybe we're angry at Him. Maybe we don't really know Him......yet. (It's impossible to worship the unknown!)

4. What does that indicate about our hearts?

It may mean that one is either ungrateful or does not really have an intimate relationship with our Lord. We enter into "His gates with thanksgiving." If we take for granted our salvation and the privilege of living in the Holy of Holies in His Presence, worship may just become "another thing to do". It may be due to ignorance....worship is a learned experience. We first need to learn that worship is His due! It has been said that we all worship something, so it may mean that there is no room in a worldly heart to adore Him. It may also indicate that we are on "the throne" and have not yet surrendered that place to whom it belongs, to His Lordship. A heart grown cold may be a wounded or deeply disappointed heart needing healing and restoration before worship can flow.

5. What can we do to change this? 

Spending time alone in His Presence, and being honest and open with Him about our difficulties, seeking Him and His help will produce a change of heart and attitude.  Jesus Is our friend who sticks closer to us than a brother. When we see that He is for us, and has cleansed and forgiven our sins, past, present and future, we can come to Him without fear or reservation about how we will be received.....always in love and acceptance. It might be helpful to talk to Him about the lack of desire to worship, to seek His insight and His help. It was so helpful to me to learn that Holy Spirit leads us into worship....but He cannot if we do not want to worship or are unaware that He longs to assist us in worship.

If I'm out of sorts with Him and am not talking to Him about it, then worship becomes mechanical, or may not be happening at all. That's my process. It has also been helpful to learn that prayer is worship, in that I'm subjecting my heart and desires to Him and His guidance. Delight in His creation and His creatures is worship, Thanksgiving is worship....and those are all acceptable and and delight Him as much as a song. Tears are worship, as well.

I loved reading in the old Testament that they were never to go out the same door that they came in to worship....that tells me that worship changes us, is meant to change us, and it's a gift from the Lord as much for us as for Him.

In today's world, I think it's because we have lost the sense of awe about God's absolute Holiness. Many churches today have made Jesus to much of a buddy, which produces a loss of the reverence we need.

Why is everyone around the throne worshipping? 
Everyone around the throne are praising and honouring God who is the Creator and Sustainer of all things. 
In an act of worship, adoration, and praise they chant and sing ceaselessly of the holiness and eternity of God.
We easily get bored after a while when worshipping because we start thinking about our own concerns. This is because we tend to have great thoughts about ourselves and as a rule small thought about God. These personal thoughts, all pale into insignificance and become meaningless in the light of the glory of God. Our finite minds cannot always fathom or truly comprehend the greatness and majesty of our Heavenly Father. Those who truly know God, will have great energy for God, and will not easily get tired or get bored in worship so easily.

Why is everyone around the throne worshipping?  We were created to worship. It is a matter of choosing who or what we worship. Those around the throne have chosen to worship the Lamb of God. 

Why are they chanting and singing?  I believe singing and chanting are a natural form of expression that allows your feelings to flow. So, it makes sense that in being in the very presence of a holy God, we would want to express our gratefulness just for the fact that we can even be in his presence. 

Why do you think that we get bored with worship after a few minutes? Unlike those who are around the throne room, we still have the sinful nature within us that will do and use anything to distract us or pull us away from worshiping God.

What does that indicate about our hearts? What can we do to change this?  I believe we are getting bored because we haven't prepared our hearts for worship which means we have to recognize our sins for the past day, repent and put them at the cross, receive the washing of the blood of the Lamb and then enter the Holy Place all because our mind, will and emotions are in agreement. We have to seek the Lord and lean on him to help us in our worship that we do not allow the distractions of our lives and surroundings to tempt us away from worshiping the Lamb. 

Day 1 Meditation (Revelation 4; 5:6): Why do you think that we get bored with worship after a few minutes? Too often I feel the congregation is nothing more than an audience at worship as the pastor, organist, and choir are in a performance of the liturgy; sort of like watching TV reruns. 

Q. Why is everyone around the throne worshipping? Why are they chanting and singing?

A. Because the ONE Who sits on the throne is worthy to be worshipped; He created every thing.

Q. Why do you think that we get bored with worship after a few minutes? 

A. We may not be empowered by the Spirit. We may just be depending on our strength alone. 

Q. What does that indicate about our hearts? 

A.. May be not totally surrendered to the Lord.

Q. What can we do to change this?

A. Be fully surrendered to the Lord so as to be empowered by the Spirit, His Spirit

On 5/15/2020 at 12:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. He is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the World, Creator, Savior, King who is holy, worthy to be praised and honored.

b. Because they are elated in worship in His obedience unto death and  in doing the Father's will  and cannot stop praising and worshipping Him for the victory, they have burst out in singing and in praising and thanking Him.  Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty who was and is and evermore shall be.

c. People get bored with worship after a few minutes because their mind is not on God and their heart is not in it, because if it was they would be totally surrendered to God and His presence would envelope them and there would be no reason for boredom.

d. Our hearts are far from Him.

e. Don't neglect the Word, or fellowship with God, repent, and get back to your first love.  Cry out to God for more of Him, passion for Him and for the Word.  He loves you and is not mad at you, He hears your prayer.   Like the people of Israel who kept turning away from their God and worshipped other gods, when they cried out to the Lord and repented, He heard their cry and was there with open arms.

Q. Why is everyone around the throne worshipping? Why are they chanting and singing?

A.  The One who sits on the throne is worthy to be honoured. He is the Creator of Heaven and Earth

Q. Why do you think that we get bored with worship after a few minutes? 

A. We started to get bored because we are not focusing Who God is and we relay on our strength and get distracted by our own gadget.

Q. What does that indicate about our hearts? 

A.We are not totally surrendered to the Lord.

Q. What can we do to change this?

A. Fully surrendered to the Lord .

The reason that everyone is around the throne worshipping is because Jesus is there which is the Lamb of God. They are grateful that He has returned to Heaven and they are celebrating this return. Maybe the reason that we get bored with worship is the we don’t really appreciate what God has done for us.

Everyone is worshipping because they see God clearly. Nothing hinders their access to Him. That is the proper response, to sing and praise Him. 

We get bored when we lose our vision of Jesus. Unable to fix our eyes on Him, we think @ our own concerns.

It indicates we are prone to wander.

We can continue seeking Him asking for a soft heart and eyes fixed on Jesus.

Day 1 Meditation (Revelation 4; 5:6). Why is everyone around the throne worshipping?

Those around the thorn are worshiping because the Lamb have return , He has  fulfilled His mission by birth, crucifixion, resurrection and ascending, taking the stain out of death and bring us back to God

They were chanting because:
  "You are worthy, O Lord, To receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created." Revelation 4:11

Self center and a need to grow in the faith

weak faith and a lack of fellowship with the Holy Spirit

We should refocus, though, prayer, daily reading His word and keeping His commandment and that is “ Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all thing that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20

They are all around the throne worshipping Jesus the Lamb of God. The one who was sacrificed for our sins on the cross. The one and only one who is worthy of our praise and adoration. They recognized what He had done for all mankind and were honoring Him. 

They were chanting His praises and glorifying the Son of God. The one who died, rose again and ascended to sit by the Father. The one who created everything.

I believe that we get bored in our faith when we become self-absorbed and focus only on our own little worlds. When we allow our minds to get distracted by other things in the middle of worshipping Him. When we allow the world, the flesh and the devil to take over.When we fail to focus on who He is and what He has done for us.

It indicates that our faith is not strong and our love has cooled towards Him. That we are not totally denying ourselves anymore.

I believe we can change by recommitting our lives to Him. By spending more time in Bible study. prayer, memorization and obeying His commands.

On 5/16/2020 at 12:21 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. The one who sits on the throne is worthy of worshiped, they recognized in Him and  through Him life has been given, restored and promises been fulfilled. In Him, perfect love is found.

2. To express their love, thanksgiving to tin our the one Who is holy and true in all His ways and words.

3. We get bored because He is not the "first" in our heart, therefore we will want "something" else to satisfy our heart desire.

4. Our heart is divided, unfaithful and we short chain His love for us. 

5. Repent, ask the Lord to remove those idols in our heart and be very intentional and focus with dependence of the Holy Spirit. Even have others to share our struggles and pray alongside us.

I only want to address the question as to why we get bored with worship after a few minutes.  First of all, I think the words 'sometimes' and 'tired' could have been inserted in this sentence.  Sometimes I am (physically) tired or  bored (detached) during a worship session because of several factors, but it doesn't mean that I have lost my relationship with Jesus or that I am far from Him or that I have sinned. 

As long as we are in these mortal bodies we will struggle. We don't have glorified bodies yet.  Until Jesus comes again and we receive our immortal bodies, the flesh will always be at war with the spirit. In heaven we will never get bored or tired worshipping Jesus.  Heaven is a place of constant, ongoing, never-ending, eternal worship.

1.    Day 1 Meditation (Revelation 4; 5:6). Why is everyone around the throne worshipping? They are compelled to do so in this spiritually electrifying atmosphere as worship happens spontaneously orchestrated by the heavy presence of the Holy Spirit. They are worshipping because God and Jesus, in their full majesty, magnificence and awesomeness , are in their midst and it is joyful  that everyone around the throne should  express thanks and honor and glorify God and the Lamb of God seated at the right hand of the Father.

2.    Why are they chanting and singing? The whole atmosphere is spiritually captivating and they are not of themselves but are infused with the Holy Spirit.

3.    Why do you think that we get bored with worship after a few minutes? We get bored because often we come with our baggage into the Church, which prevents us from fully engaging our mind, soul and spirit in worship. The atmosphere around the altar may be drab, and spiritually uninviting.

4.    What does that indicate about our hearts? It indicates that our hearts are easily deflected from following Jesus.

5.     What can we do to change this? In some instances access to financial resources may alleviate the situation. For example if in winter late comers open the door and let the cold winter wind come in, people will turn their heads to greet the late comer with angry stares. However, where it is not an issue of the Churches’ financial lack, then discipleship should be intensified.

1.      Why is everyone around the throne worshipping?

The celebration of eternal life. Having come through the trials of what the world has to offer and now at the beginning of the realm of eternal life would surely be more than just an over-joyous moment. Why, having attained such a standing would one not want to give thanks to Christ for all he has done for us?

2.       Why are they chanting and singing?

I would imagine the singing would be coming from the heart. There is no such thing as singing out of tune when it comes from the heart. Compare a well-trained choir to a group of pre-school children singing and ask yourself which is better. The choir might be in practiced pitch and sound nice, but the children would sound most precious. This is because they sing from their heart and not their minds. Jesus gives us room to express what is in our hearts and he also said we need to become like little children. Its all about what comes out of the heart.

3.       Why do you think that we get bored with worship after a few minutes?

It is the evil in man that would make a person bored with worship quickly. Maybe “mind pollution” could be the proper term. We fill our hearts with all the evil of the world and have great longing to get back to the call of it. How many people sit through a church gathering only to sit there preparing a shopping list of filled with the pre-occupation of trying to figure out how all the bills will be paid, or can we afford this or that.

4.      What does that indicate about our hearts?

This should be telling us that our hearts need to be changed. Rather than worry about the things that fill our days with confusion, we need to become like the little children who trust that they will be taken care of.

5.       What can we do to change this?

To change this, I would think we need to do as Jesus told the rich man when he told him to sell all he had and give the money to the poor. One could also relate the prodigal son to what needs to be done. If a person is so filled with the cares of the world and everything Satan has to offer, we need to get rid of everything and bring ourselves to a level where we are not only totally dependent on Christ, but acknowledgement of the fact that he is the only one who can meet our needs.

On 5/15/2020 at 12:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day 1 Meditation (Revelation 4; 5:6). Why is everyone around the throne worshipping?  Because we finally get to see Jesus exonerated, in his rightful glory. After all the work he'd put in healing and resurrecting people only to end with his own people condemning him to death on the cross, we are on our knees for the Lord who gave so much. We never saw him achieve the rightful honor so we're elated to worship him in is rightful place, before the Heavenly Father.

Why are they chanting and singing? They are singing because it's Christ being honored for sacrificing himself for Man.

Why do you think that we get bored with worship after a few minutes? I don't really know bec I have not been to many services. I think if we include spiritual debates within the worship services, I would not feel bored.

What does that indicate about our hearts? Maybe we're just jaded because as a society we've come to depend on ourselves for our meals, rather than on the Lord. I don't think this means we're dark and irreverent people, just that we're not able process a lengthy service because we're just too caught up with our lives. 

What can we do to change this? I think if worship services stayed under two hours, we should be able to worship in full attention.